Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Florida Gardening: HELP, MY ELEPHANT EARS ARE DYING!

Communities > Forums > Florida Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Florida GardeningReplies: 179, Views: 601
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 12, 2006
8:12 PM

Post #2382565

Hello, everyone.

My favorite plants (elephant ears) are dying. I am just plain at wit's end.

The new leaves come out and a few weeks later, they yellow and need to be cut away. This process of yellowing and being cut away happens faster than the rate at which the new leaves are being produced. In a few weeks, there will be nothing but roots left. I have applied ironite lightly 2 weeks ago, then a bit more a week ago. It didn't work. The plants are sitting in a well-drained bed with full sun from sunrise to about 3PM. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Sylvain.

Thumbnail by lourspolaire
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 12, 2006
8:43 PM

Post #2382673

Hello Sylvain,
I lived in your area until recently and I found NEGLECT the EE's and they do their best.
I am far from an expert but your EE's look like a water variety that we have in a pond.
I can send you the normal ol' dirt variety if you would like some.

PS- Manure is my secret to success.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 13, 2006
12:14 AM

Post #2383381

Thanks, Cyberageous.
Barring anything else and following your learned recommendation, I'm going to try neglect as a treatment because nothing else works.

I don't have any decomposed manure and what Home Depot and Lowe's have is mostly sawdust. My friend used to keep me well supplied in chicken droppings while I lived in Montreal. The neighbours didn't really appreciate but the garden loved it. No such luck here.

Take good care.
Sylvain.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2006
2:38 PM

Post #2385573

Fully prepared to fend any challenges to the title, and with my typical delusions of grandeur and ego inflated megalomania, I declare myself THE elephant ear expert. Some of my elephant ears grow to be about 8 ft high with leaves that spread up to about 4 ft from stem to tip. I grow several different genera (Colocasia, Alocasia, and Xanthosoma) and named cultivars within those genera. I've even immortalized the standard elephant ears in paintings -- one I did a few years ago that sold for over $3000 at a charity auction and was featured on posters and T-shirts. As a result of that and other EE leaf painting charitable donations, I am now known around town as "that guy that paints elephant ears." Among my many religious practices (which include sitting in Zazen meditation, worshipping every known and unknown deity (the all encompassing religion of Unitarian Universalism which translates as "hedging my bets"), and occasionally going out in the field dressed in ceremonial garb and throwing rocks at the moon), I ascribe to the Hawaiian native people's worship of the Taro god as the source of all creation. (see web links and additional info below).

So, having established my right to serve as seer and oracle for all things elephant ear related, I proffer the following wisdom and advice:

As Cyber pointed out, you do not have the "standard" elephant ear, Colocasia esculenta, but one of the members of another genus, Alocasia, with similar shaped "elephant ear" leaves. From what I can discern from your photo, you probably have A. macrorrhizas (one of the "upright" elephant ears):

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/53227/index.html

(As far as I know, no one has yet rediscovered the infamous "down low" elephant ear, which is known to lurk in secret places and indulge in nefarious sexual practices.)

Among the Alocasias, I grow A. wentii, 'Amazonica,' and 'Hilo Beauty' (but now I am just bragging).

From what you describe as the growing conditions for your plant, the first clear message that appears in my crystal ball is that you have your plant in TOO MUCH SUN! Your ears are yellowing due to sunburn!!

At Corky's Lakeland round up not too long ago, I greedily snatched up a pot of Xanthosoma maffata aurea 'Golden Delicious' (aka 'Lime Zinger) that was offered up for grabs by the Lakeland Parks Dept. spokesperson that provided a very interesting talk at the round up. There were enough individual 'Lime Zinger' plants in the pot that I was able to divide them up and plant them in three different growing conditions for various degrees of light to see where the plant would do best -- deep shade, part sun, full sun. Those in deep shade are still large, lush, a bright neon chartreuse green, and fully leaved out. The others suffered from too much light and the leaves yellowed and died, just as you have described your plant as doing. I've since moved all the Xanthosomas to deep shade with an apology to them for subjecting them to my wantonly callous medical research.

Incoming direct transmission of orders from the Taro God, with whom I, George W, Pat Robertson, and other great minds communicate hourly:

"Move your plant to an area that approximates deep shade with diffused light and no more than an occasional beam of direct sunlight."

My prescription for curing your plants illness while also absolving your sins:

Since your plant is already stressed, as was Icarus with his wings of wax, from being fried by radiant heat, I would suggest potting up your plant and pampering it for a while to assist in its recovery. Put it in a large pot in humus rich soil. Mix a bag of Black Cow composted manure with Naturize potting soil and stir in any well-rotted leaf mold or other organic vegetable matter you may have. My largest Colocasia esculenta obtains its great heighth as a result of feeding upon what I think are the long ago decomposed remains of a dead dog, left in a grave by a former occupant of my property. So, if you happen to come upon some small road kill, you might mix it into the soil as an appropriate sacrifice to the Taro deity. Subjecting yourself to the stench of the carcass shall serve as sufficient pennace for your offense to Dasheen the Almighty. Leave your potted Alocasia in deep shade and water it just about daily (making sure the pot drains adequately). Do not apply any fertilizer other than what is provided in the Naturize brand potting soil. You should see an improvement in the plant's condition within a couple of weeks as new, healthy leaves begin to emerge. Once it is stablilized, you can then move it to an area of your garden that has deep shade, good black organic soil, and that stays consistenly moist or is in a spot that you can water it just about daily. If your plant is too far gone to recover and slips off into death, you must henceforth forever wear sackcloth and cover yourself in stinging nettle ashes so that all may recognize you as a penitent Taro murderer and hurl insults and invectives at you while spitting on the ground before each of your footfalls.

Jeremy, Most High Priestess of The Colocasia Cult and Crash Test Dummy (i.e., a gender bending fender bender).

Info on the Taro myth:

http://www.winkler.ch/taro/04_myth.html

http://www.kingdom.org/planters/haloa.html

Haloa is both taro and man; plant, human and god ... Haloa combines the fruit of the earth and the fruit of the heavens or spirit, because spirit is the breath of the gods. Haloa is the older brother who dies with each season, only to be reborn again eternally, and he is also the younger brother who lives but once and then dies forever. But the spirit, the breath (Ha) continues from generation to generation. Symbolically the two brothers or branches belong on the same tree of life"(Knipe 1982:29)(Leave-out C.K.).

It is interesting that throughout the history of mankind, plants have come to symbolize human spiritual development. Wakea and Kane, both gods of procreation, are mythological images for the fertilizing factor which begets the plant and brings new light to each sunrise.

Spiritual development is like a plant, like taro. It must be rooted in the earth before it can grow. Both must be constantly nourished by the living water of life; the sprout then reaches upward towards the spirit of the heavens, but only if the root is held firmly within the dark, moist earth, within the womb of our basic nature. The soul comes from the very ground upon which we live and from which we are daily reborn. The spiral and cyclic manner in which the taro grows becomes a metaphor for spiritual and psychological growth. In such a manner, the taro expresses the continuation of life, the bridge between generation and the ancestors who provide food and fruition.

Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener

MicheleJolie
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2006
3:45 PM

Post #2385832

Reading this treatise has made my morning, Jeremy! Thanks for posting.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 13, 2006
4:02 PM

Post #2385879

Hi, Jeremy.

I bow to your mastery and quasi-infinite knowledge of EE.

I will try to find them a shady spot for them. So don't just stand there, my friend: cast out the demons that plague them and heal my babies. That's a double edge sword. If they live, I will sing your praises. Otherwise, I will don that much dreaded flowery thong and cast the spell of spells upon you. Next to that, the 7 plagues that visited Egypt eons ago will look like a tea party, debutante ball & cotillon.

Persuant to your advice, I will move them to a shadey spot (not an easy task here). and pamper them. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks again.
Sylvain.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2006
6:49 PM

Post #2386369

Beautiful Pic, Jeremy.

Talk about delusions of grandeur. HOHOHO

Hap
tremax
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 13, 2006
6:53 PM

Post #2386382

That's great advice; brief, concise and right to the point. Sylvain, your problem is solved.

Sheldon
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2006
7:53 PM

Post #2386531

If brevity is the soul of wit, I am obviously a dolt! But my theory of writing is: why use 10 words when there are 10,000 perfectly appropriate, precisely applicable, and previously unused words gathering mold in the dictionary.

Sylvain, just in case your EEs choose death rather than subsist in an environment irreconciable with their personal preferences, and in response, you do do that voodoo that you do so well, I shall be cloaked in my white aura and arm pits prepared with my antiperspirtidigation spray to ward off any wicked spells you may cast my way.

I once dabbled with a small group of local self-avowed witches and wiccens. In trying to come up for a name for the group, someone suggested, "The Self-Cleaning Coven." I wish I could be that clever.

Jeremy

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2006
8:09 PM

Post #2386587

I like that, Jeremy. My father was always good at that.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 13, 2006
8:36 PM

Post #2386690

Jeremy, you strike me as quite the raconteur and a fun-loving one at that. I fall within the same category.

One of these days, we should meet, mix some refreshments and tell stories. If we left a recording device on during that palabra, we'd have enough for quite the book, I'm sure.
I don't know about you but give me something to drink (anything between diet cream soda and iced black vodka), a fun environment and I'll go on until the cows come home.

Throw something sweet in the equation and I'll be worse than Larry The Cable Guy. When the sugar rush kicks in, that's when my wife's eyes start rolling because she's heard all that material oodles of time before. Her moto: Don't encourage him, please.

Sylvain.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2006
8:41 PM

Post #2386717

Now you tell us, Sylvain...

Gail, you have to become more out spoken. Tell us what to watch for.
Dogzilla
Tallahassee, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2006
8:44 PM

Post #2386724

Jeremy, that might have been the best post of yours I ever read. Cheers.
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 13, 2006
8:52 PM

Post #2386750

My favorite part... :)

"my theory of writing is: why use 10 words when there are 10,000 perfectly appropriate, precisely applicable, and previously unused words gathering mold in the dictionary".

Sooooo True.

I'm gonna save that quote. ; )

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2006
9:02 PM

Post #2386778

Right on, Blue. Only I talk like that!!

Hap
corky59
Lakeland, FL

June 13, 2006
9:11 PM

Post #2386804

What the Heck you two? I only speak redneckeese so ya better tone it down or I will tell Larry the Cable Guy to "Get her done" What a hoot you two are. Corky

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2006
9:22 PM

Post #2386852

I think they should get their own thread, just to amuse us.

Hap
corky59
Lakeland, FL

June 13, 2006
10:52 PM

Post #2387146

Amen, Corky the two stooges forum perhaps? Corky
jnana
South Florida, FL
(Zone 10b)

June 14, 2006
12:13 AM

Post #2387388

Ohh yes, yes. I vote for a forum. It should be hilarious.
barksy
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10a)

June 14, 2006
12:26 AM

Post #2387434

You know - I met Jeremy the other day. He quite generously shared plants with me from the "plant haul" and showed me his extensive garden. Curiously, he was rather quiet in person. You just never know...

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 14, 2006
12:41 AM

Post #2387496

I'lll drink to that one.
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 14, 2006
12:46 AM

Post #2387510

I am in for a Jeremy / lourspolaire thread! I have met Jeremy at Corky's RU- great guy!

Hey Corky! Miss ya! I think I finally and successfully got you a potted ice cream banana.

Jnana- what is that banana that is better than an ice cream banana?

News Bulletin!...I now have a bear problem..I have been making plants for Corky's next RU and man oh man! The last thing I expected is bears tearing up my stuff. Last night they tore up the chicken yard and also crushed all my kong coleus. The chickens are fine but they tore up so much to get to the feed. This "Everglades Restoration Project" by the gov is so bogus- they are starving out the wildlife and causing the wildlife to ravage farms. And what can ya do? They're hungry. In a few years when our trees are mature, with our fruit and nuts, I think they will leave our interior stuff alone. By the foot prints- I would say we have a mother and cubs trying to find food.
So I am moving my propagation area further away in the mean time!

cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 14, 2006
12:47 AM

Post #2387521

I am already drinking to that one happy---had a crazy day.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 14, 2006
1:34 AM

Post #2387714

LOL Just saying, "They're getting too much sun" would have been tres boring, no?

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 14, 2006
8:33 AM

Post #2388655

Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh, Oh,...

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 14, 2006
11:26 AM

Post #2388811

...And the loveliest of all was the unicorn. (from the Irish Rovers' song The Unicorn).

I wasn't always a polar bear. In my teens, I was an unicorn. Again, ask Gail.

Sylvain.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 14, 2006
12:03 PM

Post #2388884

I'm not going THERE!!! hehehe

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 14, 2006
1:17 PM

Post #2389089

Wise choice, Nancy.

Sylvain.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 15, 2006
3:06 AM

Post #2391631

To Barksy: Your impression of me was correct. In person, you will generally find me subdued and serene, even "shy" -- the descriptive word I hated when growing up, when I was uncomfortably comfortable only when slinking in the shadows at social gatherings. The proverbial Erysium inconspicuum (Shy Wallflower).

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/77515/index.html

(BTW - I'm wondering if someone slipped in a jest undected by the DG Plant Files moderators -- the above entry has no pix nor info about the plant, so I think if may be a ficticious entry?!)

In writing, I seem to be able to let the stream of consciousness flow (or perhaps, spew?) unchecked with all the thoughts and impressions stored up over time in a reflective, introverted (and definitely convol-lulu-luted) mind.

It is especially odd that at one time, eons ago, I chose acting as a profession. However, according to some magazine articles I've read, introverts often possess, as I do, an "on/off switch" for temporarily engaging in public performances and presentations. Toward that end, I have, this late in life, despite a total lack of training in music, taken up the pursuit of singing and will be doing a rendition of "Bring Him Home" from "Les Miserables" at the UU Church of Jacksonville this Sunday as part of the Father's Day tribute. The song has graciously been lowered by our choir director to b Flat to accomodate my basso profundo style and she has scored it for violin, piano, and guitar to help drown out my "loose" interpretation of the notes. Come if you dare. 7405 Arlington Expy. 10:45 AM

Thanks, Dzilla, for your accolade. I was thinking about you today, and it occurred to me that every politician that insists that the FCAT be used as a strict delineator of academic and educational achievement should be asked to take the test and removed from office if they flunk it.

But, back to the important topic here: Tormenting Taros with Too Many Tungstens:

Sylvain, I think you might do your best magic and most effective Halao appeasement by dancing without the "much dreaded flowery thong," and choosing instead to be indelicately, but delectably, clad in Musa fruit, a la Josephine Baker. One's presentation of poi is often best enhanced by the proper placement of a large, ripe banana. I know that from personal experience.

Jeremy

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 15, 2006
4:08 AM

Post #2391953

Also, I could coiffe myself in a fruit hat à la Carmen Miranda. Re the placement of a large, ripe banana and for safety's sake, may we agree on plantain albeit large and ripe. As the song goes: Hey, Mr. Tally Man, tally me bananas... daylight come and we wanna go home.

Poi: vile stuff if ever such a concoction was meant to be eaten. I don't care if it's a one-finger poi, two fingers poi or three fingers poi. I am certain poi is a practical joke to make fun of tourists. We all have our beliefs. Dave Barry believes lobsters to be sea insects and he's living quite well, thank you very much.

Smearing poi along your baseboards will protect your dwelling against an infestation of the dreaded south american barking cockroach. Taro should really be put to better use. I had it twice and it seemed the 2nd time was even worse than the first time. It had also fermented a bit longer. My friends were smacking their lips while I was looking for a way to dispose of it gingerly without being noticed. I finally had to resign myself to swallowing it. Just writing about it, I get queasy.

I'm an introvert myself, it's jut that my switch is never in the OFF position.

'Night, all.
Sylvain
barksy
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10a)

June 15, 2006
4:50 AM

Post #2392059

Wow - what entertainment, and only 15 bucks a year.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 15, 2006
8:14 AM

Post #2392261

I'm wid U, Barksy...

re: Poi...AURGH...(spit) lady-like, of course... I had it once, and I learned...quick learning curve. Can't believe you went back for a second time, Sylvain.

re: costumes...Will leave that alone with the unicorn

re: Shy plants...Jeremy, I think that you should put your pic on that...RIGHT!! NOT!!!

With these observations. I return to bed...

Hap
Dogzilla
Tallahassee, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 15, 2006
12:07 PM

Post #2392469

Actually, Jeremy, I agree with you. Not only should they have to take the test, but THEIR paychecks should be scaled in congruence with their scores! Heh.

Should the Florida Legislature give themselves a raise? Gee, I dunno... what did they get on their FCATs?

I like the way you think!

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 15, 2006
1:02 PM

Post #2392607

About the poi, I was hoping it would become one of those acquired tastes you hear about. I remember the first time my egyptian friend Azzedine invited us for a milookhiyya dinner. Although the whole family was eating it with great delight, I couldn't stand it but I told myself there's worse in life and I ate it anyway. The "cherry on the sundae" came when I realized that to show the hostess that dinner was great, I had to have at least one (if not 2) helpings. I resigned myself to having another helping, telling myself I would survive.

Seeing how much we enjoyed the milookhiyya, we got invited again a few month later for a repeat performance. What do you know, I had 3 bowls that night to everyone's great delight. I now make the stuff myself. Does anyone know of a good egyptian/mid-eastern grocery store in the Fort Lauderdale area? We're dying to make the stuff but we need the vegetable.

Barsky, you're right: $15/yr is a great value. Feel free to throw some kind of insanity into the fray when you're ready.

Nancy, re the unicorn I can't possibly begin to fathom what you thought or envision. As Mr. Brush would say, I am reasonnably certain a misunderstandizationizing exists there. I was talking about my totem, which mutated from a unicorn when I was a teenager to a polar bear when I entered my 30s. The best part of this is that one day, as I was training government employees in a cree village in the Great White North (Chisasibee), an elder came to me and told me: "I've known you for a while now. I've been looking at you. Your totem is the polar bear." With that, he walked away. Fun thing is, I already knew but confirmation is nice.

See you all later, I hope.
Sylvain.
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 22, 2006
10:51 PM

Post #2421782

hello Sylain-- I love poi and had no Idea that you could it at a mid-eastern store. Try on 441 (SR 7) on the east side between Oakland park Blvd & Commercial.There is a strip mall there.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 23, 2006
9:57 PM

Post #2425346

Cyber, it greatly saddens me to tellyou that you misread my post. Should poi become the only food on the planet, I would rather die of starvation.

Sorry about that, that that'sthe sad reality of things.

Sylvain
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 26, 2006
1:35 PM

Post #2434743

Sylvain, I caught that ya didn't like poi- to me it's like beer, you do have to acquire the taste and now I can't cut the grass without a beer reward!

Now that we finally have a rainy season, I hope to expand on my EE's. I am going to search the net for an exotic and reward myself for just being out here.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 26, 2006
5:23 PM

Post #2435595

Hi, Cyber.

It's a rainy day in Montreal today. Not much more to do today but read E-mail and lounge around in Dave's garden. Yes, beer is a great reward after getting the grass cut. I made sure to have one each and every time the grass guy left; LOL. I haven't mowed grass in over 15 years and if I never do that again, it will still be too soon.

Take care of yourself and find someone else do the grass while you have a beer.

Sylvain.
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 26, 2006
6:52 PM

Post #2435951

Thanks Sylvain but I am on my own out here, no biggie- it is nice to have grass! When I came here it was sand and rock and swamp. I don't even think there is suck a thing as lawn service out here. We can't even get a newspaper delivered!
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 26, 2006

Post #2435959

Thanks Sylvain but I am on my own out here, no biggie- it is nice to have grass! When I came here it was sand and rock and swamp. I don't even think there is suck a thing as lawn service out here. We can't even get a newspaper delivered!
Actually, I am headed out to do some ground grading right now. I wish my dingo (tractor thing-a-ma-bob) HAD A CUP HOLDER!
fredrump
Naples, FL
(Zone 10b)

June 26, 2006
7:17 PM

Post #2436025

I'm back inside to cool off. Had to change my clothesas they were soaking wet.

Here are my wild elephants:
FR

Thumbnail by fredrump

cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 26, 2006
10:30 PM

Post #2436645

Oh my gosh, Fred! The EE is beautiful and the background is wonderful!

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 26, 2006
10:36 PM

Post #2436672

My, My, they are beautiful

Hap
corky59
Lakeland, FL

June 27, 2006
9:33 AM

Post #2438229

Carol, You take it easy out there in swampland-- Sure wish u could come up and go to meet in Tampa and then stn. We loves ya and Lucy Spinner sends Loves to xoxoxo, us

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 27, 2006
1:18 PM

Post #2438631

Cyber, your environment sounds quite interesting. When I return to Florida, maybe I'd like to swing by and have a look. You know what us northerners are like: never seen anything.

Fred, those EE are just great. Now, I'm envious. The setting seems quite wild too: great stuff.

Rainy, damp, cool and grey here today. Typical rainy weather pattern. It rained yester, it is raining now and it will rain for the next 4 to 6 days. As I was saying, typical for here. Gosh I hate that about the weather here. Gail is starting to ache all over with her arthritis. We're not scheduled to fly out of here for the 9 more days. If worse comes to worst, I'll drive to the airport and board the first plane for South Florida.

Be well, all.
Sylvain.
seemama
Kissimmee, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 27, 2006
2:00 PM

Post #2438737

Hi Carol,
I did my Everglades trip and saw some plants that I had not seen before, also went via Alligator Alley, that was dissapointing! spent a day on the Seminole reserve which was interesting. Saw a lot of plants I wanted but could not bring anything back. (except clothes from Venice). You do live in very interesting territory, and I can really appreciate the hard work you put in after seeing some of it.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2006
2:25 PM

Post #2438826

Seemama, and others, if you are ever again on the Alligator Alley route, I highly recommend a stop at C. Butcher's photo gallery. He does amazing black and white photos using one of the old fashioned very early vintage box cameras and wades deep out into the swamps to get some fantastic images. There is also a garden connected to the gallery. The garden was unfortunately closed during the one visit I made to the Butcher gallery, but just peering at the garden the best I could over the top of the fence and through the cracks in the fence left me with the impression that it would be worth a return trip.

Jeremy

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2006
2:28 PM

Post #2438839

Clyde's pics are something else aren't they Jeremy? Our airport had an exhibition on time that I was flying and they were most amazing. If I ever get that far, I sure will stop.

Hap
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2006
2:39 PM

Post #2438890

Yep, they are great, Hap! There was an exhibit of his photos about 10 years ago at our local museum of contemporary art. I was in awe of some of the photos. It is especially amazing to see them in their full panoramic print versions that are sometimes about 3 ft x 6 ft!

From what I could discern of his garden at the Clyde Butcher Everglades Alley studio, the garden is planted mostly with Everglades native plants, including a lot of the orchids and bromeliads, very artfully arranged. --- Makes me want to jump in the car and head South on an impromptu trip just thinking about the glimpse of the garden that I had!

Jeremy

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 27, 2006
2:39 PM

Post #2438892

I've seen Butcher's work, too. He's not only a good photographer, but an intrepid one!

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2006
2:56 PM

Post #2438936

I was lucky that the pics at the airport were the bigggg ones. Immense!!! By each pic was an explanation of how he did it and how long he would stand in the mire just to get the right lighting. A true artist...

Hap
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2006
3:02 PM

Post #2438956

I do admire the lengths Butcher goes to in order to get just the right shot. If I had to, literally, stand waist deep in alligators in order to do an oil painting the way he does to get a photo, I don't think I would have the stamina or courage to produce much art!

Jeremy
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2006
5:28 PM

Post #2439544

Jeremy:

You stand head deep, in motherlodes of what is called rejects, ...and you want us to believe, that you couldn't paint with a few alligators around you?

That's hard for me to believe. ; )

I think if there were needy plants, out in the middle of the Everglades,... and all you had to do was paint a picture when you got there to collect them...
Come Heck, or High water and any alligators...those plants would have a good home. : )

And plus, there would be this beautiful, colorfull, 'freaked out' painting that would be selling for top dollars, right this very minute. : )

This message was edited Jun 27, 2006 1:31 PM
corky59
Lakeland, FL

June 27, 2006

Post #2439897

You go, Blue Glancer--Tell it like it is. Corky
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 27, 2006
7:37 PM

Post #2440079

Mannnnn...I lost my whole reply and I am a 2 finger typist!!!!!!!!!!!!
So rather than put my foot thru my monitor I will try again. Wow I worked on it for 45 minutes. I'll be back need to go feed something to get back my cool. I wrote a great reply. It figures.
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 27, 2006
8:33 PM

Post #2440307

Mannnnn...I lost my whole reply and I am a 2 finger typist!!!!!!!!!!!!
So rather than put my foot thru my monitor I will try again. Wow I worked on it for 45 minutes. I'll be back need to go feed something to get back my cool. I wrote a great reply. It figures.

I'm back. I have a wireless keyboard that is the biggest mistake. It always messes up.

OK back to what I wrote and lost:

Jeremy- Anytime you would like to come, I will welcome your visit. We have rustic facilities. Outside shower but now we do have hot water, the bathroom is in 1 trailer so ya might need to do a night run. Men usually don't care if you catch my drift. That and you know so much, I would love to show you the 'Glades in it's raw and if you come on a weekend, my hubby can take you WAY BACK with the swamp buggy. He wants me to learn how to drive it in case we lose a dog and he isn't here. I can drive it but don't know it's quirks yet in case it breaks down. Hey, and if ya want to hang out and paint...no worry I have alot of dogs and guns. I don't shoot the animals, I scare them away but usually the dogs give then enough grief that they aren't a problem. Gator wise, that's in the front pond and we tend to be making gator gumbo soon.

Corky: I miss you so much and have started propagation for your next RU. I am definitely coming. As I manage to get thru my agoraphobia? maybe I can visit you otherwise. I started back crossing the Alley, going to my oncologist so maybe I will get over this. He forced me- cut me off my Tamoxifen and wouldn't renew it unless I came in. (Cancer killing drug). Best thing in the world! I made my visit and back! My hubby had to take off work that day tho to come out here and hold down the fort. I feel a bit more comfortable.

Give Lucy a kiss and a big wet one from mom, brother and sister. Oops! Did I tell ya we have a new baby? Yep! Delila is now 6 mths old (Lucy's baby sister) so it wasn't too bad. My daughter got a pit pup in Dade County and got caught. If you are caught there they take your dog and euthanize it so we got the midnight run of an out of control 8 wk old baby girl- now called Jade. After Effie died, Mike has had an empty place in his heart so this is now his baby. Delila is mine. Ruby is spayed now so that is the end of the pups. The young girls will be also spayed asap.

Sylvain- love to have ya! If your wife has special needs let me know so that I can make her comfortable. We don't have camper hookups as of yet but if yall want to winter here, you are welcome.

seemama: Anytime ya want to come and check things out, i AM HERE. We have a 2 story tall swampbuggy that will get thru anything but I like staying on our road with a golfcart. But we can take the buggy (as in Swamp Safari which I assume you are talking about) or the golf cart. We have all the sights except the brought in critters that they have. Plant wise.it's all here- take what ya want. We are private property and altho we are on a preserve, we are also agricultural and alolwed to change things not to mention...I didn't see nothin' if you want to take back a piece of the 'Glades.

Where is C. Butcher's photo gallery I would love to see it.
If you past my place off Alligator Alley (I-75) to Exit 80, 25 miles down the road in Chokoluskee, is "Ted Smallwood's" old store which is now a tourist attraction and amazingly kept history plus they have an unbelievable photo collection for sale.

Thumbnail by cyberageous

cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 27, 2006
8:42 PM

Post #2440336

BTW: That's Jade-the new child in our life

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2006
9:39 PM

Post #2440523

You sound good cyber... your doc really did the right thing, but as you know being a sister in this mess, I might have changed docs... Just kidding.

I haven't be pushed lately, so I really don't know how I'm doing. Want to keep it that way.

Hap
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 27, 2006
9:42 PM

Post #2440538

Hap, what do you mean?

I have put off oncologist visits and mammograms because I also don't want to deal with it. After surgery & treatment for breat cancer, I flunked my first mammogram and haven't been back.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2006
9:48 PM

Post #2440556

Oh, Dear, God. Please don't do this. Now com'on...you made it to Mollys several months ago!!!
corky59
Lakeland, FL

June 27, 2006
10:16 PM

Post #2440646

Hokay, You! Tighten up. Go back to durn Dr. or I will come all the way down there and truss u like a durn boar and take ya myself. Hardheaded conch head. For those of u that aren't aware a conch head is a way down in the keys original native good old floridian and ya can't get more florida than that. Carol is a sweetie and I feel if she chooses not to go back that that is her choice. I am the only person on Daves Garden allowed to chew her out "cause she knows I loves her like a daughter. So enuff of that. Star, my daughter is also in a pickle and we have to use our sense of humor at times to deal w/ her situation--we call her "tumor nose" because of the number of new tumors she has in and on and around her sinuses, orb etc. She is on morphine at times and hopefully they will schedule her surgery soon. It is risky surgery and we hoped it could wait awhile but the durn menangianomas are just breeding in that nice warm moist place in her brain. Not cancer but leave it to my child to sprout them in a weird place. This is the girl that played all sports, put herself thru business college, ran a yamaha dealership and buried a husband and a child. But she is a fighter like my Carol and they will make it. Loves to all xoxoxoxo, Corky aka Marilynne
corky59
Lakeland, FL

June 27, 2006
10:17 PM

Post #2440649

opps, Carol--- Loves that new child. Leo says awwwwwwwww can i have her?
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 27, 2006
10:25 PM

Post #2440679

Oh no, Happy! I started this month (after a year) to go for exams at the oncologist and am gonna make an appointment for a mammogram soon. I don't have reliable transportation and I have no one to hold down the fort here but ya know what, Hap? I am tired of carrying the burden. I am making my appointments then telling the hubby and my son (older-lives in Boca Raton) what my plans are and between the 2 of them, they better back me up. Same if I break down on the Alley- they better get me to where I am going and get me home. I am tired of being at the bottom of the list.

But...for a while I was afraid to go back for checkups- I was too happy to get a crushing blow or just that month or two of painfull tests and freaking out with probably an unhappy result. Now I am ready-things can't get much worse.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2006
11:29 PM

Post #2440863

Yes, my dearest, they can get worse. You must do what you have to do.

When I was going through some crap, (nothing as yours) I put a Tetley Tea thingy up on my kitchen sink.

"No one can run you over unless you lie down."

Think about that. It's time for those boys to WAKE UP AND SMELL THE ROSES.

And if they don't...do you really need them...for anything...NO, because you're getting nothing...Think about it.

OK, down from the sermon. But I say this with love. Think about it.

Love and Kisses.

Hap
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 28, 2006
1:21 AM

Post #2441271

Hap, you are becoming my inspiration and I thank you for it. I feel pretty much on my own. Thank you.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2006
2:44 AM

Post #2441601

Hi, Carol. See if this link takes you to the page on Clyde Butcher's website where directions to his Everglades gallery can be found:

http://www.clydebutcher.com/direct.htm

It is located in Ochopee, Florida, and the directions say that it is only 1/2 mile from the Oasis Welcome Center at the Everglades National Park entrance?

I think you would find it very inspirational to make a trip there when you can.

And yes, Sylvain, I think that I would swim through alligators, black bears, bob cats, pythons released into the wild by dumb pet owners in the Glades area, skunks, and any other varmints in order to retrieve bargain plants! I just got another "motherlode" yesterday. I'm out of credit and cash and may soon resort to any sort of illicit means I can find to support my bargain plant habit. I now can't imagine a week going by without my "fix" of a few hundred plants in need of rescue, respite, and recuperation. I have found my "calling."

Being another one diagnosed with a potentially terminal illness, I'll toss in my encouragement to all to stay the course and deal with the reality. I can't say that I'm happy to have been living with AIDS for over 20 years, but I am very grateful that facing death and the imminence of my mortality has given me the impetus to find as much joy in every moment as I possibly can.

One of my favorite Zen parables: A monk is chased to the edge of a cliff by a tiger. Having no other escape, he jumps over the cliff and manages to grab hold of a small tree root jutting out from the cliff. Suddenly, another tiger below the cliff sees his predicament and waits with hungry jaws for him to fall. The root upon which the monk is dangling begins to pull loose from the cliff. He can't climb back up or the tiger at the top of the cliff will eat him. He can't fall to the ground below or the tiger at the bottom of the cliff will eat him. He spies a blackberry growing out of a bush at the edge of the cliff. He picks it and eats it and savors the flavor and thinks, "How sweet it is!"

Today, I pick the berry.

Jeremy
corky59
Lakeland, FL

June 28, 2006
10:35 AM

Post #2442336

Jeremy, I lost my sister in 1982 to aids. Her and her hubby were ministers in Zimbawe-she was a nurse and contracted it thru a dirty needle. When she passed all the controversy was going on about how it is spread yadda yadda yadda. So I ended up going w/ my niece to the funeral home and we had to dress her ourselves etc. SOOOOOOOOoo came back home and got involved w/ aids programs etc. in Ala. In fact several of us state employees opened up a clinic in a small town and had our tires slashed/ egged etc. But we to chose the berries. Got any Strawberry? A lot of folks that read this may understand what I am gonna say next-- I feel that everyone from ages 12 and up should have to get up every morning and say: aida aids aids 10 times and then cancer cancer cancer 10 times so they can get past all the vinegar and switch to berries. I know from experience tho that until things happen to people close to you hit harder. I choose to get up everyday--blow away yesterday talk to me fairys and I say: Hey I am going forward today not bassackwards. xoxoxo to all Corky, Yes Syd I have been pullin weeds.
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 28, 2006
10:44 AM

Post #2442347

Today, Jeremy, I will also choose the berry.
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 28, 2006
10:46 AM

Post #2442352

BTW, Jermy! Thanks for the Clyde Butcher link! I could ride my bicycle there, it's so close!
corky59
Lakeland, FL

June 28, 2006
10:47 AM

Post #2442353

LOVES ya Carol. Me, he, Lucy, P.J. and all. U should see Lucy sittin in the convertable, passenger seat ridin. xoxoxoxo, me
corky59
Lakeland, FL

June 28, 2006
10:49 AM

Post #2442355

Hey, C, remember I told ya we went down there twice I could live there in that store so awesome. I hope to take my brother Jim down there when he comes for a visit. Loves again, me

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2006
11:47 AM

Post #2442475

For the first time in a very long time I am speachless.

So many are going through Too Much.

My prayers for you today...and yes, it's berry time for me too.

Love you all,

Nancy Lee
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2006
12:50 PM

Post #2442638

Thanks, Corky, for sharing your grief and experiences you had with losing your sister to AIDS in '82. I sincerely applaud your efforts for stepping out of the mainstream thinking and taking action so early in the pandemic when few others would even discuss AIDS. You have gained hero status in my viewpoint!

I, too, have walked through AIDS since the beginning -- I was in NYC in the early 80's when people began to die of a nameless unknown disease. I lost several good friends even before the syndrome was recognized or reported. When I tested postive in '84, the expectations were that I would be dead, like so many others, within about 2 years or less. I had to deal with some of the hatred, fear, and bigotry that surrounded AIDS in those early years. There were only 3 doctors in Jacksonville that would put their name on a list stating they would treat patients with HIV. There was not a single dentist in the state of Florida that would provide care to a person with AIDS. I was refused treatment by a local dental clinic run by the Univ. of Fla. I thought the doctors there would be more intelligent and "enlightened" about the simple precautions needed to prevent spread of the disease --- heck, if they weren't already sterilizing their instruments between patients and taking precautions to protect themselves from other blood borne diseases, like hepatitis, that are far more easy to transmit than HIV, what risks were they subjecting their patients to??!! especially since they had no way of knowing if a patient was HIV+ or infected with hepatitis, etc. The refusal of treatment at the dental clinic incident motivated me to do an anonymous interview on one of our local TV stations to "expose" the negative attitude at the dental clinic. Not much results came from the news item. It took years for the Florida dental association to come up with guidelines for prophylaxis measures that would ensure that HIV and other diseases were not being passed along during dental procedures. It was not until the Americans with Disabilities Act was passed and AIDS was included as a disability that any real change in attitude occurred. I had to remain anonymous for the report because it was during the era when the Ray family was burned out of their home in the Tampa area because the sons were hemophiliacs and had contracted HIV through blood transfusions. Their neighbors revolted when they found out and the kids were forced to drop out of school. Their mom, a nurse, lost her job -- not because she had HIV but because she was in contact with her sons that had it. There was so much fear based on ignorance, which is usually the basis for hatred and bias and bigotry.

Shortly after I tested positive, I joined a loosely organized group of volunteers that were providing the only support available to people in the final stages of death from AIDS, greatly different from the multimillion dollar care empire that now surrounds HIV/AIDS. I was assigned to help care for a young black man that had returned from NYC to be at home in his last days alive and to provide some relief and comfort for his mom. Anthony became really acutely ill one afternoon and needed to be transported to the hospital. I made the mistake of telling the EMTs that Anthony had AIDS -- I thought I was doing the right thing so that they could take precautions to protect themselves. Well, they did. They donned what was practically moon suits in the front yard, in view of all the neighbors, prior to entering the house, then stood far across the room and asked Anthony a few questions. The outcome was that they refused to carry him to the hospital because they "might pick up a child or other innocent person on their next call and it would be unfair to take the chance of infecting that person." Even though they had already received training in how to prevent the spread of HIV, they were still too filled with prejudice to do their job.

Anthony's mom and I loaded him up and I carried him to the hospital in my car. That was his last trip anywhere. While in the hospital, the nurses and orderlies would generally not enter his room unless the doctor was there or Anthony's mom or I demanded that they give him some care. He was left to lie in his own feces for hours at a time and his meal trays would be set outside the door of his room and he would not be provided food nor water unless his mom, another relative, or I was there to give him nourishment. By this time, he had gone blind from CMV retinitis, one of the opportunistic infections that was common in people with AIDS in those days. He had pneumonia, and his muscles were so weak and atrophied that he could not stand on his own.

It was wintertime, and I found him one afternoon shaking and shivering violently from the cold conditions in his room. Before leaving him that day, I asked one of the nurses to get him a blanket and she said she would. Just before going to bed that night, I suddenly thought of how he had been shivering and wondered if he had ever gotten a blanket. I realized I was not going to be able to sleep without knowing that he was o.k. I got dressed and drove back down to the hospital to find that, sure enough, he was still lying under nothing but a thin sheet and practically blue from the cold. That is the point when I raised Holy Hell in the corridors of the hospital, shouting and demanding that Anthony get a blanket and standing firm that I was not going to leave until someone carried a blanket to him and that I would report the entire crew for medical malpractice if something wasn't done immediately.

Anthony lived for only a few days more. I credit him with providing me with the fortitude and determination to go on living. After seeing the inhumane way in which he was treated, I swore to myself that I would never allow myself to be subjected to those conditions, and the only way to avoid it was to stay healthy.

A few years ago, I did a painting as a tribute to Anthony in recognition of the will to live that he instilled in me. The painting shows my hands feeding him some red Jello with his hands clutching mine to guide the spoon to his mouth. It is entitled, "Eyes for Anthony," and it now hangs in the conference room of one of our local HIV/AIDS case management agencies.

My notes above are not intended as an indictment or defamation against all the fine nurses, dentists, and doctors on the DG site. Hopefully, most of them took a more compassionate and reasonable approach to treatment of HIV infected persons, even in those early days. It is just my way of venting a bit and telling it like it was lest revisionist history try to make people believe that it was never really that bad.

Thanks for providing me the opportunity to share openly and honestly. It is nice to have found friends here that I can trust. We are all growing together, I think, both in our gardens and in our spirits.

Jeremy

This message was edited Jun 28, 2006 8:56 AM

Thumbnail by JaxFlaGardener

cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 28, 2006
12:57 PM

Post #2442648

Hap- That is the cards we are dealt and we must learn to live with them, hopefully in an upbeat manner. I am sure, everyone of us with a problem, has gone thru the "why me?" thing but then success and peace in your heart is when you deal with it and do the best you can to get your life back. Sometimes, the threat of dying is the kick in the butt that (me anyway) that you need to realize that life is precious and to live everyday to the fullest. Sometimes the love of life keeps you going!!!! That and the love of plants! :-)

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 28, 2006
1:49 PM

Post #2442766

From dying elephant ears to human life: loving it, savoring it and fighting for it. We never know what path a thread will take, do we? Kind of like life itself. Bless you, Jeremy, for your compassion. Thank you for sharing your story, your wisdom, your painting, and your joy.
BlueGlancer
South/Central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 28, 2006
1:53 PM

Post #2442776

Jeremy...
That painting is awesome. You were a wonderful loving, and caring friend to Anthony. God Bless you. : )

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 28, 2006
2:01 PM

Post #2442796

And, Corky, I join Jeremy in saluting you.

Now, folks, I'm going to go sit on my porch, watch the squirrels and birds who have no idea how entertaining they are, feed my fish, listen to the fountain, enjoy the still-cool touch of the air on my skin, and read a good book. This kind of morning is one of my tastiest berries...simple but delicious.

Good luck, Cyber. Have a berry with me!

Marcia

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 28, 2006
2:15 PM

Post #2442844

Hi, all.

I have been reading your posts and all I can think of is:"Man, what a resilient bunch we are!". Let me put in my 2 cents worth about the cards we are dealt and the loads we have to carry (huge pun here for those who know me).

I met my doctor 30 years ago and the first thing he told me was: "You are morbidly obese". Wow, what a revelation... I was flabergasted. I was wondering why I wouldn't fit in one-size-fits-all (almost all) clothing, but I couldn't quite grasp the reason.

Isn't a higher education worth its weight in gold when you consider that a doctor can take one look at you and say something like that? To make a longish story short, I told him I had suspected this since about age 3. We agreed not to bother each other with this ever again. I can die on the spot at any moment and you know what... I have come to tell myself it's better than dying in an old folks' home in dirty diappers. Every morning, I wake and tell myself today would an all right day to die and I get going. I have had one h*ll of a ride so far and it goes on. As it so often happens, when lower life forms oggle me in public places, I tell myself that while they are busy staring, they are leaving others alone. I wouldn't endanger my eternal soul by wishing bad things upon them since I know that Divine Justice and Retribution will be heaped upon them in the end. Vengeance is mine, said He.

This is place sure is terrific. I'm in Montréal, my EE might be dying in Florida, but we're all pitching in to keep our spirits up. More EE can be planted later. They grow wild in Florida. Friends like you find here are priceless and one of a kind.

Keep well, all.
Sylvain.
tropicalkaren
The Villages, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 28, 2006
3:31 PM

Post #2443087

Jeremy, you have me in tears here.

As a retired Nurse Practitioner, I am sure that I have cared for at least a few people with AIDS. I never even thought about it, as I used the same precautions for every patient. But I do remember the disaster of the early AIDS epidemic and the loss of so many young lives. It was more than horrible.

As a 5 year breast cancer survivor, I look at my cancer as a blessing. It has allowed me to live each day and love each day, try new things and make new friends. It is a shame that it took cancer to accomplish this. Karen
corky59
Lakeland, FL

June 28, 2006
3:47 PM

Post #2443149

One of my favorite movies is: Forrest Gump. Life is like a box of chocolates. Jer, I to took care of a lot of Anthonys and Fays and so the list goes on. My biggest gripe was the same thing the lack of care. Heck I had a supervisor at University of Alabama try and throw me and a couple pals of mine, well actually just throw me out because I was sticking my tongue out at people because they were staring at my "pals" So I agreed to stop doing that and began to jump up and point blank ask them what the herpes were they staring at? and sometimes i couldn't control me middle finger either. Tee hee Wonder I hadn't been drawn and quartered either on ocassion. But I got my point across. I have discovered thru the years that being subtle isn't always the answer. If more health pros and mental health pros would be vocal like some of us real folks are I feel it would make a difference. But now ya got lawsuits etc. Ya get my drift. I mean I don't get on the street corners etc. but if I am asked I tell it like it is. We all need each other-- Agape Love makes the world go around along w/ a lot of berries thrown in. Oh I need to change my choice of berries today I need rasberry. xoxoxoxo Corky
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 28, 2006
5:21 PM

Post #2443571

This reminds me of something that only happened yesterday and how Corky says- some people have no compassion. Before I moved out here, I lived in a townhouse community and my best friend was a 10 year old little girl, Elizabeth. She called me last night upset. She has a little girl in her class that was born with half an arm. The children in her class are mean and tease her. Elizabeth has been her best friend and defends her on a daily basis.

Elizabeth is very mature, likes to come out here and drive me nuts but is an amazingly wonderful child. Her question was...the children are mean to her friend but why do the teachers let it go on right in front of them and then what about the mean kids' parents? Weren't these children taught tolerance and love?

I feel like writing the school. This is so sad. This child did not ask for a birth defect and children's meaness is being accepted. Even if she elected to be born with a difficult life, where are the hearts of our future?
corky59
Lakeland, FL

June 28, 2006
9:22 PM

Post #2444458

Carol, Ya know they passed a bullying act in Fla. You or the childs parents need to go to the resource officer or officers at this school. Report the situation to the resource officer-officers. If they don't act on it w/in 72 hours then ya go to the principal. Counselors don't act on bullying in this county only the resource officers and here they are actual Sheriffs officers and have a o tolerance for it. We had a similar experience w/ my G/daughter and after her refusing to go to school because she was scared of these kids the resource officer here stopped it completly. Bullying is now a misdeamenor even underage children will be suspended from school. This sweet child probably needs some counseling to so she can learn to handle it. Kids are cruel at that age, well most of them because where oh where did all the rolemodels go? Corky

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2006
9:27 PM

Post #2444480

Right, where are all the Role Models.

We, or I should say "I", had Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, etc. (Can you guess I liked horses????)

Why aren't they here now.

What do we see, the 'Movie Stars" all in wrap animation...killing or maiming. That is the Hero of the day.

OOOPs. Sorry...no more soap box. But boy, could I go on about this.

Hap
corky59
Lakeland, FL

June 28, 2006
9:32 PM

Post #2444494

Lours, Hi I went out to the City Nursery today and guess what I got? Live Elephant ears ha ha. I actually was thinking of you and I am gonna save u a couple babies that growi n the sun as well as shade. Okay Jeremy here's where u come into the plan u can I"d them for him I do not do the hoity toity botanicallllllll names for nuttin.If I don't know the name of it I ask a learned one. Or I give it a name-- Like I think that's a Golden Rod or a weed--but then most flowers as we know them was weeds until we fooled w/ them. I always revert to hill billy slang when I am tired. Does it show? Geeze I hope not. Do I need to take pics of the EE earsies for ya"all? Corky
seemama
Kissimmee, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 28, 2006

Post #2444528

Hi Carol,
Next time we come down your way, I will let you know and would love to come and visit. As for the Tomoxifen I spent 5 years caring for a 90 year old who had had everything, no relation just a promise to her daughter on her death bed! and she had tomoxifen all that time which kept her free of any further cancers, so you must keep up your dosage - she died at 95 and the night of 1999-2000, after a fall. As for the AID's patients, well I can only speak for myself and have visited a friend of my son's who was very sick at the time, I was told not to touch etc. but what the heck! why not, look at Princess Diana what she did to enlighten narrow minds. Also I would like to think that if I get that sick, someone will be there to help me.
corky59
Lakeland, FL

June 28, 2006

Post #2444531

Happy, you know what i think is sad yet funny? Here in Polk County now they are asking for Senior mentors for these kids. I can just see me or another parent g/parent older person like me that raised her 7 children and 9 foster kids w/ tuff love being a mentor. Phooey they would probably put out a contract on me because no means no and or__ I told you this was not open for discussion at this point and time, until i feel you are ready for it bla bla bla. Or the consequence for being an hour late last nite are: hand me your car keys and u can have them back on mon. and maybe next time you won't forget, Yeah right. Kids today will kill or attack or turn them in for using fair disclipine. Then the law locks them up. Duh Is anything wrong w/ this scenario? K Corky wuz here

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2006
11:15 PM

Post #2444888

Yes, I agree.

If I was raising my children now, (1. An Internist in Rochester, NY) (2. A Electrical Eng. with 12 patents under his belt) (3. a Daughter with a licence for Cosmetology, Electrolysis, Real Estate Lic. ..etc.)

The way I brought them up was with STERN discipline...that's where is was...in the STERN...

Get my meaning.

I would have been arrested!!!!

Hap

This message was edited Jun 28, 2006 7:16 PM

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 29, 2006
12:12 PM

Post #2446575

Hi from gray, wet, cold, damp and ugly Montréal.

It's the very kind of weather that caused us to move in the first place. It's been like that for 4 days now and we expect 2 or 3 more. On top of that, gas went up 12.5% yesterday, just like that. It always does that here, whenever there is a long weekend ahead. Last weekend was our provincial holiday (11,8% instant price hike). Now it's the national holiday. Come Tuesday afternoon, gas prices will be back to their usual high but not so overinflated levels. That's highway robbery, just by the highway. Gotta love oil companies: a pox on them all.

It's strawberry season here and they are some good! We had dinner with our cruising friends yesterday. By the time dinner was over, it was 11PM. I think we lit the BBQ around 9:00 or something like that. Dinner was crowned with an impromptu strawberry shortcake competition among the four of us.

Tonight is dinner with the gang from my former office. We're going to a greek place where we'll have roasted lamb, gallons of ouzo, dance the sirtaki and shout OOPAH! If this keeps up, my liver will be leaving this place before me. Does anyone have a spare liver hanging around they could FedEx me at a moment's notice?

Nancy, re the stern discipline, I guess that left you POOPed. LOL. I miss you guys and the sweet, relaxed rythm of our life in Florida. I got some canna tubers yesterday and the horticulturalist that works there told me there was no problem bringing those into the U.S. Yeah, just like the navigator told the Titanic's captain there was no problem sailing in iceberg-infected waters at full steam while reading comic books.

I have a friend at Agriculture Canada who will those tubers for me and certify them disease, pest and insect-free (or not). That's what he does for a living: monitor the safe exchange of botanical materials coming into Canada from the U.S. and Mexico (NAFTA, you know). That way, I can declare them to customs officials and feel a bit easier about the whole thing.

I bid you all a good day.

Sylvain.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 29, 2006
1:07 PM

Post #2446748

Corky, I admire and respect you more and more! If I am ever laid up to sick to fend for myself, I would want you to stand by my bedside and be my gaurdian ad litem/surrogate care appointee to ensure that everyone involved in providing me medical treatments was towing the line and acting appropriately! My great thanks goes out for your spirit and "spunk" that has done so much good to help and protect others.

This has been the most meaningful thread in which I have ever participated on DG. It is wonderful to get to know each other on a deeper level and share our trials and tribulations and challenges, not only with dying bananas but with the mortal "slings and arrows" we all encounter at some time in our lives. The lessons we have learned from dealing with potentially terminal conditions probably can't be learned except from direct experience, but wouldn't it be great if high school curricula included "Mortality 101" as a required subject?! It might send the kids off better prepared to deal with life and to value that which is truly important.

Jeremy

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 29, 2006
1:19 PM

Post #2446779

I don't believe that Morality 101 should be heaped on the schools' already overburdenned load. We can't expect schools, babysitters and television to raise the children we put in this world. That's easily said: Gail and I never had children. Looking around, we're so thankful sometimes, you have no idea. But I digress.

Morality 101 is something that should be infused at home into kids each and every day of their lives. Unfortunately, you can't give what you don't have and that leads to declining social graces with each and every passing generation. It's a blooming pity.

Re this thread, it's a nice place to have our chats in relative peace and quiet. The title doesn't have anything to do with what's being discussed. That's a bit sneaky.

Sylvain.
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 29, 2006
2:44 PM

Post #2447081

Family values are so important but now, if you look around alot- mabe quite alot of the families are disfunctional or have one parent. I believe n ina case like that- there is no excuse for mean kids. Mean kids grow up to be mean adults. I raised my kids on my own and they turned out good. I wanted to kill them tho thru their younger years and beat the crap out of them constantly (back in the old days) to make sure whatever really dumb thing they did- they wouldn't do it again. I practically ripped every hair out of my son's head when he got busted breaking in WinnDixie and freeing the lobsters. What was he thinking?! Now he's a great, very loving son and very good husband with more love in his heart than 25 kids of today.
As for my daughter- that was a whole "boo-hoo" thing. As a single mom, (their dad in prison) I still always tried to help the ex's family. Well when my son 's heart went at16, they all vanished on me- not only was I not able to work- I had to sleep in my car in the hospital parking lot because it was out of town. I had to send my daughter to NY with my amazing wonderful ex-mother-in-law. My daughter still can't forgive me for it. I just needed to give her a secure life- I couldn't even take her to school. I did it for her better being. My son was on a heart transplant list then, but, while in the hospital (practically all the time, and by the way-they always told me this was the end) he talked to several heart patient kids and decided they were't going to cut him open and make him sicker. His thinking was one year weak was better than 5 years sickly. By then he just turned 18 and I had no choice but to support his wishes. He even quit taking his meds and said it's all in your head if you want to live or die. He is now 33 yrs old and gonna have his first child soon. Oh and by the way? My son has a deformed heart and somehow, the deformity can't even be found with tests!!!!! (Extra AV node)

As for my daughter, she came back to FL when she was 16 and moved in with her dad rather than me- he let her smoke and have sleep-over boyfriends) Shoot if was up to me she would have still been wearing "grannie panties", not this thong stuff!
Anyway she eventually got pregnant and traded the baby for a car. I cried and pleaded with her to give us the baby. Nope! She even wouldn't talk to me for 4 years. We just recently are getting a relationship going but the rules are to never ever bring up that baby. It hurts- that was my first grandchild but at least I got back my baby girl. Now my daughter altho I will never understand that- (she says she was too poor)- has turned out to be a real hard worker and loves other people's kids- go figure.

Life is full of hard knocks. What I was trying to do was show that sometimes the power to live and love life can be stronger than the illness whether it's physical or mental.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 29, 2006
2:47 PM

Post #2447095

I find that most threads are like real conversations: They digress and evolve into something entirely different, often totally unexpected...and in this case, very worthwhile.

Last night I had my husband read this thread because I knew he'd be as touched by your lives, spirit, and Jeremy's painting as I was.

Sylvain, I don't know if you misread Jeremy's curriculum suggestion or if you made a typo. :) I'm not sure I agree with naming it "Mortality 101," since that sounds a bit negative even though your idea is promoting something positive. I know what you mean, of course, but let's give it a more upbeat name! How about "Live for Life 101"?

Typo or not, it's too true that morality needs to be taught. You'd think it would be an inborn part of our character--either having it or the lack thereof--but there are how-to courses in morality, not just from a philosophical point of view. I'm still not convinced people can be taught to be moral. I've known a couple of really immoral people, and I believe they'd be that way no matter how they were nurtured. In fact, I'm sure one of them was taught all the right things and properly nurtured. Obviously, this isn't my area of expertise--just my biased opinion. :)
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 29, 2006
2:52 PM

Post #2447113

I believe it is all about love in youe heart and as you grow, maybe inner peace. I think that is why we are plant people. It comes with the love.
corky59
Lakeland, FL

June 30, 2006
9:10 AM

Post #2450255

Well Cyber, methinks the restest of us do tooooo. So what's plans all for 4th? I am considering doing those hamburgers that u use the glazed donuts for the buns? We have a huge fire works display here at one of the lakes so if any g/kids get sick off of them they can go barf in Lake. tee hee No we don't normally et this kind of food but heck "tis a fun day for kids and ya know I am a kid at heart. Feed em a lot of watermelon to--sugary drinks and then ler parents deal w/ it. I only have 19 g/kids 2 step/g kids and one great g/son. If I ever get all the family together we will have to rent carnegie hall. Morn to my favorite guys. I have several trees plants etc. to get in ground today so I am gonna start early to beat the heat. Loves and Berries to all. xoxoxoxox, Corky and Tribe
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 30, 2006
12:01 PM

Post #2450454

Good morning! We have no plans for the 4th. But July 8 & 9, we have a weekend BBQ and Birthday party. It's my hubby's B'day and he really wants to do this. I love cooking and will have a blast but it will put any progress with planting things on the back burner. I still have at least 25 mango trees and 10 avocados to plant. Wouldn't be bad except that we are sitting on a bed of coral rock and the water level is high. I have to use a chipping hammer to break thru it for future root growth, even tho I have to make raised beds so they don't drown. It'll be well worth it tho!
I don't even have a bed yet so what I'm gonna do with 9 people spending the night- I don't know. I think I'll buy cots- we can use them for other times too. Food will be buffet style and we have lots of fun things to do.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 30, 2006
12:29 PM

Post #2450565

As always, my own troubles pale in comparison when I hear your stories of what you have experienced in life and had to deal with. Thanks for letting me walk a bit in your shoes by sharing your life situations.

And, I think Biv is right that Sylvain may have not seen the "t" in Mortality 101 -- and I agree Biv that a more positive curriculum title might be in order, so long as the course got across the main point that we all are eligible to drop dead at any moment and that we therefore need to live with awareness and dedication and committment to creating a safe and serene existence for ourselves and all of Earth's creatures if we are to be truly happy.

I went on somewhat of a shopping spree yesterday as a result of getting some money from sell of art at the recent art show. I mostly bought new clothes for Christina at Beall's Outlet at 50% off because she hates to shop for clothes and I enjoy picking out things for her tow wear, but I also found for myself a small ceramic decorative white glazed garden stone at Jo Anne's store that I felt I had to have for $1.99. The stone was engraved with this message:

"Time is precious. Waste it wisely." LOL

That sums up my day-to-day attitude.

As for the upcoming holiday, I celebrate everyday as if it were a holdiay, doing what I love most, piddling about in my yard and moving forward with whatever time or energy I can spare toward completion of any one of my 1,000 projects. I am feeling so overwhelmed by tasks and overdue on taking care of business correspondence and chores like cleaning the house that the idea of stopping the forward progress would just make me depressed. Making plans for a special event usually causes me angst because it upsets my routine of just dallying and playing and working at what needs to be done, but I do break down and have friends come by occasionally for calendar day observances. I bought a real set of metal horse shoes yesterday at Harbor Freight Tools for $16, so if anyone wants to drop by on the 4th to pitch a few ringers, come on over!

Jeremy

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 30, 2006
1:32 PM

Post #2450728

Hello, all.

Sorry about missing crucial "T" and digressing like that. However, I remain steadfast in my belief that morality and mortality should be instilled into kids at home instead of the schools. We are all mortals. We'll all drop dead at some point, I firmly believe that we will all have to account for our actions at one point or another in this life AND the afterlife.

Someone was commenting on my DSIL's Labrador retriever's habit of curling up under the tree by the lake and sleeping there most of the day (it's 11 years old). "If there is such a thing, I'd like to be reincarnated into a dog after I die", said she. I laughed and told her that with my kind of luck, I'd be born to a Korean butcher and my name would be DinnerForFour. Be careful what you wish for, it may happen.

Today in Montreal, it's cold, gray and damp. No rain right now but hang on, it will come later. Lovely place, Montréal. Avoid it like the plague. I turned in circles around a restaurant yesterday for one hour (I kid you not) to find a parking space. Finally, I decided to abandon the car where it didn't belong and pay for a ticket instead of driving like a chicken without a head all evening. We didn't get a ticket, but that was sheer luck. The parking meter attendant was on his way. Three more cars and I would have been fined. I want to go back to Florida!

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 30, 2006
1:33 PM

Post #2450733

I love the message on your stone, Jeremy! When I described one of my "berries" as a morning sitting on our porch enjoying birds, squirrels, garden view, gurgling fountain, fish, and a book...well, that's what I consider wasting time wisely. I refer to myself as a "porch potato." As long as it's cool enough (and helped by a ceiling fan), that's my favorite place. I'm semi-retired and am fortunate to have a husband who comes home from work and asks, "Did you get any porch time in today?" rather than, "Did you get the laundry done?" And when he comes home from work, cocktail hour is on the porch (and sometimes dinner); so he gets a chance to enjoy it, too.

Btw, a propos to the origin of this thread, elephant ears are one of the things I love to look at from the porch. Because of the drought, they haven't spread as usual and haven't gotten very tall yet. But now we're starting to have rain, and I can already tell they're improving. Last year I started a new section with ee simply by pulling them up and laying them where I wanted them; you don't even have to plant them!

Well, everybody, have a wonderful and safe holiday. I'm off to the porch now! I'm planning a decorating project, and it's easier to get inspired there.
NinaNana
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 30, 2006
2:58 PM

Post #2451052

I love the deepness in this thread, much like the elemental nature of gardening itself with its cycle of life, God, and the mystery of just how does the seed sprout...

What was it Socrates said, the unexamined life isn't worth living?

I also like the philosophies in country and western music, such as "Life's a dance you learn as you go, sometimes you lead, sometimes you folllow."

and "I hope you get the chance to live like you are dying"

Nina

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 30, 2006
3:10 PM

Post #2451092

I, too, like the wit, wisdom, and simple, humble, dirt-level truth of country music lyrics, Nana. One of my favorites, "I'm down here in Mexico, livin' on refried dreams..."

Jeremy
NinaNana
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 30, 2006
3:27 PM

Post #2451163

ROFL

corky59
Lakeland, FL

June 30, 2006
4:05 PM

Post #2451280

Hey All, Do u know what ya get when ya play a country sond backwards? Ya get your wife back, Your dog back, everything you lost in the song comes back. Well that was my hehaw for today. Lets see here-- first initial of all our names hmm help me out now if i miss anybody. LJCMNBHSN AND SO THAT COULD BE THE NAME OF OUR THREAD WE CAN OOPS CAPS start when this one gets out of hand as in to big. Then when someone else joins add there initial. So pronounce that one. Hee Hee
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 30, 2006
4:11 PM

Post #2451301

No vowels in our name?! We must be a Hebrew wannabe group LOL

Jeremy
corky59
Lakeland, FL

June 30, 2006
4:21 PM

Post #2451331

Doing the family tree decades ago and now sorta back into it as in updating the mess Me dads Mom was rumanian jew? Anyhoo just got the correct spelling of the name to do research. I have a hungarian geneoligist but the incorrect spelling was giving all of us fits. I tink i no can spell today. BYE< this wuz me
seemama
Kissimmee, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 30, 2006
7:01 PM

Post #2451847

Hi everyone, Corky59 I wonder if your ma in law ever met my Grandma when leaving town? Mine left in1930 to go to UK. As for sayings on stones. The best and most appropriate saying I got from a Christmas Cracker "Courage means being afraid and still going on" I think that applies to one or two of you here. Ref: to the elephants ears - they belong on elephants who never forget!
corky59
Lakeland, FL

June 30, 2006
7:31 PM

Post #2451962

Well Jeremy, Duhhhhh Why not the gonnabees? Corky
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 30, 2006
8:40 PM

Post #2452209

Hey y'all!
Today was a waste! I had to rebuild the door on the chicken pen. Whatever (we think a bear because of the strength) once again broke into the chicken pen again. We hot wired it and put up a street light and it only scared "whatever" for a week.

So Jeremy! Come on down, grab Corky on your way and let's have a hoot of a vacation! I am in horticulture heaven here. You have heaven at your brush [ (painting) if that didn't make since. ]

If this isn't the perfect time to plant EE's, I don't know what is! I had given away all my variegated EE's and FINALLY I think I have some babies coming! They are still in my shade house because of our lubber grasshopper problem but I plan to put one of the variegated EE's in my tropical section out in the open but I want to make sure I have a progeny backup first. I would love to get them going crazy to share more.

Corky, MerryMary &Tropicman- it looks like the ice cream bananas are gonna make it so now onto putting energy into the EE's! I saw some neat ones on Ebay but I have to wait for a good deal. I can't afford what they have yet. I just look at a future of propagation.
so I try to justify the expense but man!, they are still more $ than I have.

corky59
Lakeland, FL

June 30, 2006
10:21 PM

Post #2452496

Cy, Quit reading my durn mind. I was day dreaming about a week off-- and for all of us to Caravan down to your place all bring food drink candy bolony hee hee thats hill billy steak. We can use Billies place as our base of operations heck she's a hillbilly to--she paints so the rest of us can dig bring plants donate to the ee fund and have a ball. oh and def. don't forget the skeeter spray. This would have to be closer to the end of July. girls can sleep in jeremys van guys w/ the bear. Let's all think about this adventure and perhaps really make plans after the fourth. Corky
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 1, 2006
2:51 AM

Post #2453480

It sounds very inviting, but I can't imagine ever being able to leave home again. I finally made some progress toward organizing the "motherlode" and got everything in neat little "communities" of plants with similar light requirements and then tackled the mountain of empty pots that have come from all the plants I've stuck in my garden as well as the containers from those that didn't want to recuperate. If I don't next clean up the house and sort through what is mounds of debris scattered all over the downstairs, Christina is going to beat me severely. Lately, I have barely been able to finish a project (or have left many of them half finished), before moving on to whatever was next in line for my attention or deadline. The clutter is even beginning to bother me, and I nightly climb over a piles of unlaundered clothes (or some laundered and never put away) to get to my bed.

But, of course, the mess wouldn't reach critical mass if I left it for a few more days, so I'll have to give the mini-vacation to the Glades some thought for sure.

Cyber -- do you have EEs 'Illustris" or 'Black Magic'? I have several of both of them in the manufacturer's bags as part of one of the motherlode bargain deals. If you don't already have them, they can be on your way as soon as I can begin to wade through the 50 or so trades and plants for postage I still have pending!

Jeremy

Jeremy
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 1, 2006
8:28 PM

Post #2455461

Jeremy- Darius gave me a Black Magic that I am deperately trying to keep going until I can get it into the pond. So far so good! I don't even know what the 'Illustris" is. By the way, Jeremy! I would love to have you here! We have 2 construction trailers with AC and several portable cots so it isn't that bad. We also have a portable AC for our really big camping tent so it isn't that bad. Ya hear that, Corky!

Billie is about 30 to 40 minutes from me and I would love to see her also. BUT, keep in mind- if ya want to go barbaric we got the room! Oh man! I would completely flip out if ya came!! Just remember that I am living in complete squalor. We have money to entertain but are not putting money into fixing up our temp home. Actually- I have nagged about a few things to make life easier for me but we'll see. Screening in the mosquito ridden porch is numero uno!
corky59
Lakeland, FL

July 1, 2006
9:30 PM

Post #2455662

Cy, I been over in the tampa ru forun bumming nanners for us. xoxoxo Corky
fireant13

(Zone 9a)

July 2, 2006
4:14 AM

Post #2457087

Most students, teenagers especially, are convinced they are immortal, so Mortality 101 wouldn't phase them much even though teens do die from illness, accidents, drugs, and suicide. Florida schools do require life management, life skills, and sex ed study, but the STD epidemic doesn't seem to scare them. They believe "it" won't happen to them. There's more emphasis on not getting pregnant than on not getting a disease. Four of my students this year had babies, who knows how many picked up an STD. Some girls end up with full hysterectomies before graduation because of STDs.

As for morality, literature study entails morality. Most fiction, poetry, drama, and even reflective essays, as well as the lives of the authors themselves, have characters and situations that present the motivations, conflicts, and personalities that are true to real life. Literature is a great forum for exploring the issues of life.

Research proves that parental dispositions toward sexual behavior and drug abuse is the deciding factor in the children's behavior. The problem isn't the students' attitudes and behavior. It's their parents.
seemama
Kissimmee, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 2, 2006
12:59 PM

Post #2457624

Fireant Oh how I agree, the attitude of some parents is quite unbeleivable. I thank the Lord my children have now grown up healthy educated and a lot more sense than many I have seen. How the parents attitude to teachers has changed, total lack of respect a lot of the time, and the parents encourage that. I have one grandson here and I see my son teaching him the same values that he was taught, respect, pride in self and acheivement.
seemama
Kissimmee, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 2, 2006
1:00 PM

Post #2457626

add to that my mis spelling which is disgusting!!!
corky59
Lakeland, FL

July 2, 2006
1:39 PM

Post #2457730

Wel,sutmes I cnt spel ehther. Croaky
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 2, 2006
1:58 PM

Post #2457775

Corky, you always make me laugh! You are too cool! I also agree that the parents play a huge role in the kids' mentality but also now days, as more people want to "keep up with the Jones's, it is my belief the kids take a back burner.

This summer I plan to get crazy with the banan tree clusters. I want to take the auger and swamp buggy out to make bananas for animal food since the wildlife people with their bogus "Everglades Restoration" is starving and flooding out the critters that have called this dry land and their territory since 1903. I have read the flooding is to give Naples a better water supply but using federal government dollars by calling it the "Resoration Project". There are lots of people out here trying to do the right thing WITH THE ANIMALS IN MIND. Not the Naples water supply.
No offense you Naples people but they ought to raise the taxes there and build yall a water plant. Just by bringing down the water from Lake Okeechobe (flooding us and the critters out), it has really damaged the lake ecosystem and then it really caused problems in Ft Meyers with pollution.
OK- off the soapbox!

I am looking for exotic EE's! Anyone have some links or trades?
corky59
Lakeland, FL

July 2, 2006
3:24 PM

Post #2458049

Hey, I can talk in pig latin tooooooo. We used to do that and it drove our dad nuts. He was hungarian and had a hard enuff time w/ english as it was so we would talk pig latin and omg did he get worked up. He wanted to name me Victoria but he couldn't pronounce V"s they came out as W so I would have gone thru life as WICKWORIA. Tee Hee. As it was he always called me bub so what the heck. Yours until Niagara falls, Corky
fireant13

(Zone 9a)

July 2, 2006
4:59 PM

Post #2458393

My one surviving EE is finally getting somewhere. It's taken a long time to get established. I had a few more, but the cold snaps kept taking me by surprised and killing the ones I had. My future son-in-law has several EEs, but they were planted in a planter bed right close to the house. He said I can have them, but I am trying to convince him to transplant them against the ugly back fence to hide it or along the sides of the yard to screen the neighbors. He is keeping in mind selling the house in two years and wants minimal landscaping in the yard itself. I told him a lot of people in Florida would love EEs with a house. If I can't convince him, I'll probably have some EEs the weekend of the 14th, but I don't think they are exotic, unique ones.
corky59
Lakeland, FL

July 2, 2006
6:01 PM

Post #2458605

Fireant, I know carol will appreciate anything you give her. I am soaking some bamboo for her and Jeremy and then I am going to try and dig up some of my queen Bamboo. The other is the heavenly bamboo. Neither one of these is invasive but buggers to get shoots off of them. But me loves me buddies so I will sweat, curse and hack until I get the durn things up. GRRRRRRRRr Corky
corky59
Lakeland, FL

July 2, 2006
6:03 PM

Post #2458609

BTW, Where are you two scalliwags? Jeremy and Lours? Time for a little uplifting here ha ha. xoxoxo Corky
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 2, 2006
8:28 PM

Post #2459069

Fireant- I have some just normal EE's growing in water. D-mail me your address and you can have them.

Well the party is now over 30 people for 2 days- I hope they bring me plants!!!!!
fireant13

(Zone 9a)

July 3, 2006
12:51 AM

Post #2459738

Cyberageous, this surviving EE is one you sent me. I've also learned to keep things in containers until they grow large enough to handle the yard.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 3, 2006
1:16 AM

Post #2459806

Hi, everyone.

I'm still in Montreal, leaving Thursday afternoon for Florida. I can't wait. I want to go home NOW. The weather is causing Gail to hurt and this just confirms that we had to get out of here pronto.

Wow, driving down to Cy's place with eats, drinks, sweets, more eats, more drinks, baked goods and have a good old roaring good time. I'm in whenever you decide to finalize the arrangements.

Jeremy, with all due respect to you and your infinite motherlodes, I'll borrow lyrics from the Eagle's Hotel California and tell you we are all prisonners here of our own device. Also, you may want to check out Matthew 6:26. Your plants will survive if you leave them for a couple days. You'll survive too: we'll take good care of you. Wouldn't that be wonderful? I know from experience that laundry keeps very well and laundered clothes keep even better. I was a bachelor once. LOL.

Cy, Going barbaric, as you put it, is not a problem with me. I don't even need air conditionning. Another plus side: you could show us YOUR Everglades, the REAL ones, not the ones intended for tourist viewing and interpretation.

Re that bear: he and I have got to have a talk, brown bear to polar bear. If everything else fails, there's always shotguns, but I would rather whisper a gentle threat in its ear before I blow its ugly head off. Once it hears a few chosen tidbits from the bear whisperer, his paws won't be able to take him away fast enough.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 3, 2006
1:59 PM

Post #2461782

Sylvain you are too funny!!! Bears are big and mean!!! All the other big critters seem to keep their distance except it. Did I tell ya we have a gator in the pond?
Anyway, we would love for you to make the party! One day, two days or spend the weekend! We don't have accomodations- it's tents, cots and bed rolls tho.

If you are too busy this weekend, being that you are just getting down to FL, you are welcome anytime and if it's the weekend my hubby can take you on the swamp buggy or you can throw the ol lady on the ATV and go exploring on your own.

D-mail me your address and I will send you an invite with a map. Actually we are very easy to get to:
Cross the Alley, get off at Exit 80, go left towards Everglades City and turn at the 2nd radio tower on your right go down to the end of the dirt road and there we are! Don't stop at the trailer you will pass on the left- that's the mean guy.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 4, 2006
12:10 PM

Post #2465429

When you say bears are big and mean, it's like you know me already. It kinda brings a tear to my eye. Polar bears are big and so cuddly (just like me) but they are the fiercest predator on the face of the earth. That can also be me.

The gang is going down this weekend... That's rather busy for me, returning to Fort Lauderdale Thursday night around 11:00PM. But that's one of retirement's perks: very flexible schedule. Please D-mail me directions to your place and I'll see what I can do.

There is no way I'm going to get Gail to come with me. She is just plain petered out from this trip. We're married, not joined at the hip. She can stay at the condo and recover while I drive down. Oh... This is going to be so much fun. I'll bring everything I need and then some.

Take care.
Sylvain.

This message was edited Jul 7, 2006 12:54 AM
corky59
Lakeland, FL

July 5, 2006
9:31 AM

Post #2469125

Sylvain, What gang? I was talking earlier about getting a convoy up? Towards the end of the month and asked who was interested. Now unless the foo foo gods of caravans made plans I am not sure about this week end.? LMK. Corky

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 5, 2006
11:28 AM

Post #2469247

Corky, I must have gotten my signals crossed here. It happens sometimes, when I process a lot of info on the run, like now. At any rate, when something gets organized, I'm in. Sorry about the mixup.

Sylvain.
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 6, 2006
1:22 AM

Post #2472231

Sylvain, I will give you directions right here because anyone from Dave's Garden is more than welcome to come! This is the nicest group of people I have ever met.

Cross Alligator Alley (I-75) towards the west coast altho the signs say "North to Naples" it is really going west. After my turnoff, I-75 takes a bend North so that's why the sign says that altho to me, it's misleading. Anyway, cross the Alley and get off at Exit 80 aka State Road 29. The Exit sign also says Everglades City & Immokalee. When you get off, go left (the sign says Everglades City) over the expressway. Go about a mile and a half- as you approach the 2nd radio tower on your right, slow down- that's my dirt road. Another landmark is there is 2 mailboxes there- a black one and a white one. Hang a right but be careful there is a canal on the left side.
Go down the road PAST the homestead on the left- that's the mean guy. Go thru the open gate then just keep going until you see us. And don't run over my dogs! My dogs think everyone is there to see them and they get crazy.

We have a few campers, a few non-campers that will sleep over in the AC'd trailers. 2 People have medical problems and need extra care so they get first dibs on the cots. We have 7 of them and a few bed rolls. It's a "whatever you want to do" weekend. We plan to put up our tent too tho for anyone that wants to sleep in it.
Foodwise...It will be a food fest- I'm a cookin' fool! There will be a food tent, buffet style with all the regular BBQ stuff plus the 'Glades Gumbo, 3 kinds of pork, beercan chicken, brats in beer, lots of snacks- quesadillas, salsas, swordfish dip,fruits, tuna salad stuffed pasta shells, Mexican Eggrolls, Fried Gator cuncks, corndogs, and fried jalapenos and caribbean style banana bread Then there is the gamot of side dishes. It's such a diverse group that I am trying to be prepared for anything. Sunday breakfast is a foodfest in itself. Then back to just keeping the buffet table going.

So Corky, did I bribe you and Billie yet?
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 6, 2006
1:27 AM

Post #2472257

Oh yeah! You are welcome to the banana trees suckers and EE's!

Also, we sank the swamp buggy yesterday about a mile behind us and had to walk thru the swamp home. It sure was pretty but we were trying to make it back before dark so we had to kinda knock ourselves out to hurry. Tomorrow we will trek back out there and hopefully pull it out with a winch and anchor, otherwise that'll be a job for the early arrivals on Saturday altho I think we will have it back before then.

Bring crappy shoes!

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 7, 2006
5:47 AM

Post #2477166

All right, everyone, the polar bear is back in Lauderhill. We landed around 11:20PM. I am to highly strung to even think of going to bed. So, I'll write for a bit, if you don't mind.

The canna bulbs didn't pass muster and I had to leave them with a friend of mine. She must have planted them (late) by this time.

Also, I got stopped at US Immigration today because I told the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Had I lied, there would have been no difficulty. Unusual, isn't it? Problem: I have no status in the US. I'm just an illegal alien. I told them I was going home in Lauderhill when I should have fibbed a teensy weensy bit and told them I was going to Lauderhill for a visit.

At one point, it looked like we would have to separate our clothes into different suitcases because Gail was going to fly back here alone. Gail is now on notice with the INS that she must petition the government so I can obtain my permanent residence. I can stay here for a maximum of 6 months; no more. The immigration agent in Montreal was none too forthcoming with details and answers, but alluded to retaining the services a lawyer. I was always under the impression that someone with a clear conscience could deal directly with the government without the need for a mouthpiece. Ah, sweet innocence, those were the days, my friends. We thought they'd never end.

We will call our lawyer in the morning to sort things out. Sic transit gloria mundi. We were quite the sight in the waiting room: me making up emergency and contingency plans so Gail could get back to Florida and Gail crying because we were going to be separated.

After talking to the officer for about 5 minutes, he asked me if I had problems understanding english. I can see the headlines now: exasperated traveller strangles immigration officer, claims self defence, temporary insanity and refugee status all at the same time while pushing a button on his "watch" and asking the mother ship in orbit to beam him up. Do I look, sound or even type like I need help with english? Someone, please tell me I'm not that bad at Shakespeare's language. Next time, I'm travelling in that dreaded flowery thong, a huge french canadian accent, a limited vocabulary and a few blackened teeth for good measure!

Finally, with me in a daze and Gail sobbing uncontrolably, we were allowed to be on our way. This is quite the stressful event for someone with a clear conscience. I may not sleep all night. I just have got to calm down. Gail is sleeping. She was so exhausted, she took one look at the bed and BAM... out like a light. Well, as Scarlet O'Hara said: Tomorrow is another day.

Are we having an impromptu roundup at Cyberageous' place this weekend or at some other time. I have been reading posts quickly and sideways for a few days now and I must admit to being totally confused. Someone please point me in the right direction.

My garden has grown by leaps and bounds since I left. Elephant ears don't seem to be dying any more. The candle bushes have reached 7 feet. A coleus that I had ripped apart branch by branch and transplanted directly into the ground is going all out. And that's just what I can see from my window in artificial light. I'll be in there at first light tomorrow morning. More on that later.

I'll try to get some sleep now. It's so nice to be back home (Oh, I forgot, I'm just visiting) but still, it's right nice. See you all soon.

Sylvain.

cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 7, 2006
7:22 AM

Post #2477305

Oh man that's the worst! I wrote you and it didn't go thru! Hope you can make it for the weekend!!!

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 7, 2006
7:22 AM

Post #2477306

Glad your home safe, Sylvain. We missed you and Gail, mucho.
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 7, 2006
7:23 AM

Post #2477309

Good, the last post went thru! Please come and party with us, Sylvain and take the lead off!!!!
corky59
Lakeland, FL

July 7, 2006
9:53 AM

Post #2477405

OMG!!!!!!!! The "GOLLY OF WRATH" found you. I wonder if it is because of the mess w/ North Korea so they heightened security? I hope Gail is okay. Geeze Peezo never a dull minit in a Gardeners life hey? Well things usually look better after a bit of rest. Here is the joke of the day. Do you know what a MILENORMORE bird is? He sticks his head in the sand and whistles thru his butt and u can hear him for a mile or more. Get it? Okay I have a crew of volunteers lined up to start spreading mulch today at the front enterance at 7:30 this a.m. trying to beat the heat. I still have several plants to get in the ground and still no rain here. It thundered, lightening all around and no rain grrrrrrrrrrr. I am a hoot w/ my bucket dipping water out of one pond to water the other area and I am terrified of water do not swim and so i just grin and bear it. I get her done as Larry the cable guy says. Sylvain if u go to carols do not eat all the egg roll thingys they are mine. Gawd can she cook. Loves to all Hang in there and hagd all, Corky and tribe. xoxoxox
seemama
Kissimmee, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 7, 2006
4:01 PM

Post #2478304

Sylvain,
I had an attorney to obtain my change of status, which I will get by the end of this month, I had my son as sponsor - but do get advice from an Immigration Specialist Attorney. If you can't find one I will happily recommend the one I use but he is in Orlando. He has been very helpful.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 7, 2006
4:05 PM

Post #2478323

To anyone who reads this thread: click on the picture.

Thumbnail by lourspolaire

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 7, 2006
5:19 PM

Post #2478594

That's precious. and it sounds just like you!!!! LOL
fireant13

(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2006

Post #2478969

The kitties are adorable and the poem clever. I hope the immigration problems iron out pretty quickly. One of my former students married a Canadian, and they couldn't go on their honeymoon cruise because of INS problems. They ended up honeymooning in Florida.
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 8, 2006
12:17 AM

Post #2480134

Wow, Sylvain! I haven't been on line- I have my chores and have been cooking. Actually today my hubby did my chores and as a reward (karma) the good neighbor got our swamp buggy un-stuck for the weekend party.
So I hope you will be be here!

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 8, 2006
2:11 AM

Post #2480561

I will leave Sunday morning at daybreak or earlier. Tomorrow is a very busy day for us.

I'll spend the day in your neck of the woods. I'll bring my camera along to show Gail.

Sylvain.
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 8, 2006
8:42 AM

Post #2481422

Cool, Sylvain! I have a nice sunday morning breakfast planned.
I did the gumbo last night and it came out fantastic.
My hubby got the swamp buggy unstuck!- It looks like a great weekend- hopefully not too rainy!

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 8, 2006
11:35 AM

Post #2481525

I have just rinted the directions to your place. Should I be bringing bug repellent? Food or drink-wise, is there anything I could bring? We french canadians don't enjoy arriving somewhere empty-handed. We understood long ago tht the party is livelier if everyone brings something. I'll have my camera with me and I can't wait.

Sylvain.
corky59
Lakeland, FL

July 11, 2006
9:34 AM

Post #2492252

Hi Groupies, Not doa here just busy. I am trying to do some landscaping here on me job and of course weather won;t cooperate at all. My daughter star dislocated her hip-- they have it back in but her tumor is growing so she will be admitted to Tampa general sometime today. I,of course will be runnin back and forth so I wil keep in touch as much as possible. Jeremy? Where are u? Lours keep me laffin ha ha. xoxoxo to all, Corky aka Marilynne

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 11, 2006
10:12 AM

Post #2492283

Hi, everyone.

Marilynne, sorry to hear about your daughter's hip. Like she didn't have enough in her life, isn't it? One day when I was about 6 years old, the vicar in our parish was performing his monthly visit to the sick and bedridden. That was an event in itself because my grandmother always baked cookies and served tea for the occasion. The vicar never came unannounced to our house because he enjoyed my grandmother's hospitality and cooking. Once or twice every year, he timed his visit just before lunch hour and he would stay for lunch, Needless to say the vicar was no fool.

That day, he told my paralysed grandfather: "God above sent you this paralysis because He loves you." My grandfather was a no-nonsense man, turned bitter by disease and pain. He answered right back: "Couldn't He lavish His love upon someone else for just a day?".

I laughed, got smacked by my mother who wasn't amused and the conversation's topic was swiftly and discretely changed to something more trivial, more pedestrian, more provincial. Wherever you live in the world, there's always the weather to fall back on when conversations turn sour.

I've been up for at least 3 hours. Although I slept well all night (midnight to 3), I couldn't sleep any more. I was stuck to the bed sheet. I just plain hate that. I was really stuck! I got up and showered. Now there's an exercise in futility these days: you towel yourself dry and you're wet again before you're finished towelling off. So I went to the pool and had myself a good dip. That felt good. Then I towelled myself off and I was wet again before I was done. AARRGGHH! I hate vicious circles.

Some of you will say: "Sylvain, just turn on the AC". I can't do that. We have AC and it is in fine running shape, thank you very much. The problem is that Gail's arthritis flares up when we power on the cursed thing. I bought this nice set of 2 fans at Costco. It's a large tower that rotates on itself complete with remote control, timer, speeds, oscillation, programs. It comes with a little brother, about 12 inches tall with roughly the same features. That one is really more of a thing for a single person to enjoy. It sits on the window's ledge, next to my computer desk.

Sometimes it's OK to run the big tower, sometimes it's not. Gail decides that based on her condition at the moment. Since the small tower is really good for just only one person instead of the whole room, I can run it just for me and just on me. Just a few minutes ago, I used it to dry between my fingers. That's how sticky it is. Gail is sleeping the night away in apparent comfort; lucky her.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 11, 2006
12:32 PM

Post #2492499

Over in the Pet Forum (of all places!) several of us ladies of appropriate age got into a discussion about "hot flashes". I had to smile at your description of our reverse circumstances, Men hovering under electric blankets, women throwing off bed clothes, one even running out into the snow seeking relief from the heat!

Life does indeed make strange bedfellows! LOL
Pati
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 11, 2006
12:54 PM

Post #2492537

Hi, Sylvain and all. Sorry to hear about your restless night. I'm wondering if it might be possible for you to isolate one bedroom where you can hook up a small window A/C unit for yourself so you could sleep more comfortably? I can't imagine trying to make it through this stifling heat and humidity without A/C.

I'm still here, living every day with every activity as frenetic as killing snakes, but managing to keep going. I have lately felt so overwhelmed by it all that it seems like the only solution may be to move to Mexico and start a new life under an assumed name, but then I would have to wean myself from the weekly fix of bargain plants from the Lowe's motherlode, and I'm not sure I could break the habit. I guess I'm admitting to being a truly obsessive/compulsive gardener when the thing I think I would miss the most -- beyond home, relationships, family, friends, and country -- would be a van load of distressed annuals screaming for my attention! LOL

Another load of the plants came through yesterday (4 racks - about $1,800 in plants for $40!), so I'm off to the garden as early as possible to finish unloading, sorting, providing triage assessments, and getting them rejuventated and ready for new homes. Then I have to return to the project of cleaning out and organizing the work shed, and plugging up remaining holes and crevices in the art studio/work shop, so that I can finish installation of the massive window A/C unit out there and continue the process of rolling all the debris from unfinished projects out the back door and either into tidy storage in the work shop or out to the curb as trash. My only comfort is holding in my imagination the glimmer of hope that someday I will have somehow managed to get on top of all this chaos and disorder and be able to kick back and enjoy the results. But probably when that day arrives, I will decide it is all wrong and tear it all up and start over again!! LOL I think it is always having new projects and new interests that help keep me alive.

Jeremy
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 12, 2006
2:23 PM

Post #2496886

I am Almost back to reality and maybe have will more time on the computer.
I probably have another week to get totally back to reality. I am still cleaning up from the party. I have alot of buffet gear that still needs cleaned, wrapped and stored. All the camping gear must be packed up and stored too- plus all the bedding still needs washed and stowed. We have a semi trailer for storage. It has no door so I wrap everything to keep the dust off.

The pigs left for the meat house monday so I am going to fill the pen in with good dirt and start a summer veggie garden. I started shoveling dirt but my feet are still very sore so it will be a slow endeavor.

I also am dying to get back to the banana trees and EE's. I want clusters going down our dirt road for that tropical feel. I saw some exotic EE's on Ebay that I mihgt give a try. So far the outbidding is outrageous. I might have to wait until winter to lower the competition.

Jeremy, can you tell me how I might find good plant bargains in my area?

Corky- give Start a hug for me! Lucy too!
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 13, 2006
1:42 PM

Post #2500848

Hey, Cyber and all... I previously posted the info on how to establish your own "motherlode" plant bargain hauls with Lowes in this thread:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/609755/

In giving further thought in regard to the bargain deals, a person need not be so obsessive/compulsive as I am with the bargains (I can't imagine a week going past without hauling in another van load of distressed plants!). You probably could pick up the plants once in a while for special projects or occasional spurts of plants without doing it on a weekly basis. I have established a close enough relationship with the Lowe's where I get bargain plants that we now have it established that the garden center manager will phone me once a week to let me know he has inventoried the racks of plants and they are ready for me to come in and pay the $10 per rack and haul away. I get around 80 - 90% recovery of the plants to full health and am still getting about $1500 - $2000 in retail value of plants for about $30 - $50 per week. There is a current glut of plants waiting for new homes since most of my DG and other garden friends have already feasted well upon the bountiful supply (to my great delight!) and I have stuffed my yard full of plants (though I still have plenty of bare spots to add plants in my 1/2 acre if only I can find the time to plant!). So, if anyone wants to drop by for plants, come for a visit. It doesn't look like I will be able to make the upcoming round up. Finances are at an all time low (I'm getting a cash advance on a credit card today to pay the mortgage and auto insurance that will hit the bank a few hours before my pension payment goes through) and I'm feeling so overwhelmed by all the unfinished projects and nuisance details of everyday life that taking a day away from plugging away at progress seems unlikely.

Jeremy
corky59
Lakeland, FL

July 13, 2006
6:46 PM

Post #2501870

Hi Best Friends, Been nuts here the last two days. A resident in my park was found deceased yesterday by the local police--he was under investigation for a big no no and we think he knew he was going to jail for the rest of his life so he committed suicide. he was 67. I am waiting on his family to get here and had to get the Bio-team in and then deal w/ all the rest of stuff going on in me life so as u can see I have been in a tizzy. Only one day of rain here,yesterday it rained all around here and today looks like the same deal. I will be back later to post more. Jeremy u slow down boy-- ya hear? Stop and smell the flowers. xoxoxo to all, Corky
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 13, 2006
6:49 PM

Post #2501877

Thanks, Jeremy. I kinda sorta remember your previous post but thanks for telling me this time.

Corky, how is Star today?
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 13, 2006
6:51 PM

Post #2501881

Wow, Corky! We must have ESP! Just thinking of you and you posted. How are you holding up?
fireant13

(Zone 9a)

July 13, 2006
8:07 PM

Post #2502089

It's pouring here, like a mini tropical storm. I love it. The rains have been coming oddly this summer. Corky, I hope things settle down in the park quickly. It sounds gruesome.
corky59
Lakeland, FL

July 14, 2006
10:04 AM

Post #2504251

Well Friends I am alive haha. Tired today and since the residents family is now here I am gonna work, piddle in my yard today. No rain here so my maintenence guy gets to use the bucket method and get water out of pond and water me plants I am putting around our ponds. I have a sprinkler system here at the house so no problemo for me here. I found a nursery about a mile from here that's going out of business and boy what deals he has. I got a white bop, a wine colored crepe myrtle and two weeping hibiscuses for $15.00. I am def getting Carols Bamboo shoots out of ground today me g/son Adam will do it for his "meems" as the teeens call me here. Star is miserable since she fell about 10 days ago and dislocated her hip. Now we have two brain surgeons deciding which method is best to remove tumor. Geeze. Okay i gotta get in gear before it gets to hot. Luvs to all xoxoxo corky
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 14, 2006
11:23 AM

Post #2504339

My prayers to Star, Corky!

Yippee!! Bamboo!

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 14, 2006
1:36 PM

Post #2504663

I am reminded here of a latin quote: O tempo, O mores. Other times, other ways. At the prospect of getting bamboo, Carol jumps up and down, yelling Yippee!!Bamboo! When I was in Montreal, if someone had brought me bamboo, I would have done my impression of that kid in Home Alone, you know: both hands on the side of my mouth, yelling in disbelief. Bamboo has a really bad name in Montreal. Most nurseries will not even carry it in their inventory. Other times, other ways.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 14, 2006
2:16 PM

Post #2504881

Hey Sylvain! Bamboo out here is fantastic. Way back I had posted my reasons for wanting to plant bamboo- can't remember where tho.
Anyway- we have a bad problem with poachers. They run down and kill the bear, deer ,wild cats and boar on our property. The critters don't have a choice with the swamp buggies in the grass lands. So I am making them safety nets so to speak. They can run thru the bamboo but the hunters can't get in.

That and I have that really mean neighbor that I want a tropical privacy fence from

Did I mention when we had our party last weekend he sat on top of his trailer to watch us. Yep- need the bamboo.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 14, 2006
2:34 PM

Post #2504954

Oh, Carol... such a pity I wasn't there to see your neighbour on top of his trailer watching the goings-on. Did he have binoculars, a telescope, any kind of optical aid? I have been known to show such lurkers the astounding miracle of the CFMIBD (cracked full moon in broad daylight).

Those who have seen it and recovered tell me it's quite the catastrioguc sight! It involves a certain degree of undress, which should be avoided in mixed, polite company. It would have been worth it, just to see him fall off his trailer.

Life's short and unless you laugh, it has a certain tendency to be boring at times. I'm never bored.
Sylvain.

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 14, 2006
2:36 PM

Post #2504960

Sylvain, maybe the reason for the "aargh" reaction is spreading bamboo as opposed to clumping bamboo.

I've been waiting to hear about the party.
corky59
Lakeland, FL

July 14, 2006
3:32 PM

Post #2505149

Geezo Peezo, Okay I have 3 pieces of this durnnnnnnnnnnn heavenly bamboo carol. I put it in a pot to get established good. Soon as it is== in about 10 days so I have been told I will mail it to ya. private d-mail your addy. Grimey, dirty,sweaty, happy Corky.
fireant13

(Zone 9a)

July 14, 2006
5:20 PM

Post #2505495

I don't understand why people dislike Heavenly Bamboo. I love it. Mine was removed because I put in a planter bed over a spot where nothing grew. I miss it.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 14, 2006
5:58 PM

Post #2505627

Just to set things straight, I love bamboo, as I love any and all plants that people are affraid to plant. Be they huge, toxic, prickly, venemous, noxious, invasive, hyper-invasive, clumpers, runners, as long as they were perennials, they were welcome in my garden.

My garden was once described by one of the Pointe-Claire Horticultural Society (my former alma mata) as: Alice in Wonderland on acid. Worse yet, she was right. It seems the only variety bamboo people planted in Montreal was running bamboo and by that I mean olympic runners. People visiting my garden for the first time usually didn't see the weeds; they were too busy gawking at all the plants they had never seen anywhere else. I once supplied the Montreal Botanical Garden with a specimen of fuki they didn't have yet.

Sylvain.

corky59
Lakeland, FL

July 14, 2006
6:24 PM

Post #2505695

Bamboo Lovers Unite!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha, Ha, Ditto what Sylvain said. Only Plant-- Cactus I got rid of-- well most of it is: Chain Fruit Cholla also I think known as Mad Cow Cactus because it def. will drive ya mad if ya get a piece in ya. Just ask Corky. Corky
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 14, 2006
10:20 PM

Post #2506458

Yall are too funny!
Sylvain, if ya don't get your carcass out here and be my friend I will be so disappointed.
I can't believe I didn't think of the ol' butt salute to the neighbor. Our company would have loved to oblidge. I didn't see any eye help but he sure was gawking! Today I had to go down the driveway past him- cocktail in my hand, black sunglasses and 6 pitbulls in my minivan. The 2 pups hanging out the window. He dropped his tools to see that. He knows that I was bringing food to a neighbor if the dogs get to go in this heat- I have no AC so they only get to go on food runs. My great neighbors are old and on a budget so I tend to over- cook in order to bring them a nice dinner.
I used to feed him too but as my hubby says that being nice has showed my soft spots and that was half of why he came at me so mean & strong. That and sex. He's 72 and gave me all kinds of grief--go figure. A friend of mine that is a dog trainer says it is a domination thing.

Bamboo-wise- I want it all! I want spreading bamboo too save the wildlife... plus keep in mind that they will eat alot of the tender new shoots.

Biv- you aren't that far away- please visit me and you will understand the bamboo thing. I want to restore the Everglades on our property to it's natural state but I also NEED to incorporate critter havens because the pouchers are not part of the program and I want a natural way to protect the wildlife. Altho it isn't part of the natural environment- poachers aren't either. It is the hand I am dealt and I will do what I have to do to protect it.

Back to the lighter side: I also want to do the bamboo to block my really wierd and mean neighbor's view. It gives me the creeps to see him watching me. He has white hair and can't hide! I am here alone 5 out of 7 days a week and he scares me. I wish I even had more dogs!
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 14, 2006
10:44 PM

Post #2506528

Sylvain_ I thought about how I worded my last entry. I will do every thing I can to make Gail feel comfortable if she would like to come here. It would be wonderful. I understand that she doesn't feel up to par so I hope she will make the best of it and I will help.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 15, 2006
1:30 AM

Post #2506999

Cyber, I will swing by your place one of these days soon, I just can't say when. Conversely, I can't say if Gail will be with me or not. But know that I will go see you soon. Gail and I are going to the Tampa RU in Riverview next weekend. From I can gather from the map, we have to go to Naples and head North towards Tampa. I guess we'll be passing close by your place but there won't be any time to stop, alas.

Keep well, all.
Sylvain.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 15, 2006
5:06 AM

Post #2507754

Oh No! You have poked the sleeping garden snob and it (an inhuman, surly thing) rises with a growl...

Heavenly Bamboo (Nandina) is NOT a bamboo. It is just one of those unfortunate common names that cause confusion. Nandinas are in the Barberry Family while true bamboos are in the Family of grasses.

Heavenly Bamboo is included in the list of Exotic/Invasive Plants for Florida as a Class 1 pest plant:

http://www.fleppc.org/list/list05web.pdf

It spreads by its underground root system in the immediate vicinity of the parent plant to form a thick mass of tall stalks, which is possibly why it became associated with the name "bamboo" (I'm not sure what makes it "heavenly). It's main danger is spreading by the bright red seeds that the birds eat and drop far away from the parent plant.

Which is not to say that I am not growing it. Sugarweed suggests cutting off the flowers prior to formation of the seeds, but the bright red pods in winter are one of the most attractive aspects of the plant. It seems to be less or a problem in our cooler climate and shorter growing season up here, but it is still considered "invasive" in all areas of Florida, according to the list. I haven't had it spread around my yard from the seeds, but then I don't yet have the time to follow every bird to see where it poops and meditate upon the droppings for a month or two to see if anything grows.

I would be very hesitant to introduce Heavenly Bamboo (Nandina) into an Everglades restoration project as it really doesn't belong and may force out some of the plants that would be more appropriate.

I now step down from the soap box, drop my nose from its haughty, snorting position, and return to a drowsy slumber.

Jeremy
corky59
Lakeland, FL

July 15, 2006
11:21 AM

Post #2508007

Snot, Snot. Luvs Ya xoxoxo me
Sallyoyo
Venice, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 15, 2006
12:03 PM

Post #2508080

I came for EE advice and here I am alternately drying tears of joy and empathy. What an emotional roller coaster this thread has been to read!

What great friends you've been to each other.
fireant13

(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2006
1:01 PM

Post #2508188

I knew Heavenly Bamboo was not bamboo already. A person in our ag department had informed me when he identified the plants the builder installed. What's odd is that he likes the plant even though he despises invasive plants. My department head, who is an outstanding gardener, has a clump of them growing in one spot, and they look like a miniature forest. She grows mostly native plants, so I don't know why she has heavenly bamboo.

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 15, 2006
1:56 PM

Post #2508315

Hi, all.

Sally, roller coaster, say you? Oy Veh, Golda... You ain't seen nothing yet. We've discussed EE and now we digressed on to something else. We enjoy talking about everything and nothing so why not let the thread go on? Or, we could abandon this thread and I could start a "Nothing" thread where we could just kick off our shoes loosen our belts and just talk about anything that comes to mind. Also, I could start a blog if the powers that be at Dave's object to my starting a "Nothing" thread.

My EE survived because one day I grabbed each and every one of them by an ear and told them they could easily be replaced with plastic stuff from the 99 cents store. To reinforce my point, I had one of the dreaded contraptions in my other hands and I was waving it around, so I am certain I got their attention. They perked right up and I can say the problem is mostly over now.

An idea here: maybe heavenly bamboo is called that because it reaches for the heavens... what do I know. Common names are just so common and misleading, it's not even funny.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2006
2:00 PM

Post #2508330

Reasons why people grow HB are; It has attractive foliage, grows fast, turns bright red in the fall, and has bright red berries. Unforunately we can't get wild birds to not plant it in the natural habitats where it crowds out all native species.
I put RU on any I find.
Jeremy, Mother loved it and in that NorthCarolina Clay it managed to crowd out all competition in her front bed. Climate is no factor.
Sidney
fireant13

(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2006
2:06 PM

Post #2508352

I have only one heavenly bamboo by the air conditioner, but it hasn't spread or grown very tall. Are there other varieties that are less invasive?
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2006
2:24 PM

Post #2508406

Look about 2 feet away and give it five years. Nandina is just that one begileing tart of a plant. So many other things that grow and are pretty here in Florida...like Elephant ears and clumping bamboo.
;)

bivbiv

bivbiv
Central FL, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 15, 2006
2:31 PM

Post #2508432

Getting back to real bamboo as opposed to HB...I wouldn't even mind having the spreading kind if it weren't so hard to contain. I love the way it looks. Does anyone know what the best clumping kind is? Does clumping bamboo also grow fast? Where I'd like to grow it, it would have to clump so it wouldn't invade the neighbor's yard at the back of our property.

Re the thread going on (which I'm sure we all hope it does)...Ya might wanna link this to a new one for dial-up folks. :)
corky59
Lakeland, FL

July 15, 2006
3:04 PM

Post #2508536

OH!!!!!!! I also have the Queen Bamboo. Reaching for the heavens. Love it xoxoxoxo Corky P.S. Here is a pic. of my "not modest" dawg. Lucy Spinner James Tee Hee

Thumbnail by corky59

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 15, 2006
4:41 PM

Post #2508776

We have reached critical mass! Please follow us to:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/626749/

where we can continue in peace.

Sylvain.
fireant13

(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2006
4:43 PM

Post #2508781

My pets think they are people, too. To go even further off topic, is there a clumping palm? Down hwy 27 where the road is being reconstructed, the medians have a palm that appears to clump. It looks great and I would use it instead of heavenly bamboo.
joegee
Bucyrus, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2006
11:59 PM

Post #2564733

:) Thanks all for brightening my evening. Jeremy, your painting, and most especially it's name, is profoundly beautiful. Here's to my Anthonys: David, Rob, Deke, Scott, Tommy, BK, and all the rest.

This is a most extraordinary thread -- gardeners seem to be special people. :)

Peace,

Joe G.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 30, 2006
11:37 AM

Post #2565951

Joe,

The ones on DG are certainly special...

Hap

lourspolaire

lourspolaire
Delray Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 30, 2006
12:21 PM

Post #2566034

Guys, we have moved to:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/626749/

Sylvain

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Florida Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Florida Gardening Magazine - does anyone here subscribe? JaxFlaGardener 58 Apr 16, 2013 7:48 PM
Native Plant (wanted) Botanyguy 16 Jun 6, 2008 6:20 PM
Duranta budgielover 26 Jul 21, 2008 10:36 PM
Jeremy's Mystery sugarweed 11 Jun 12, 2011 9:23 PM
Do Tall Bearded Iris grow in Florida? JaxFlaGardener 67 Jun 20, 2008 6:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America