Journal Jan.30 2001

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Morning all! Ahhh feels as if spring is getting closer! The temps are in the 50's right now and will warm up to about 72*. I can't wait until it dries up around here. I have lots to do in the garden. Tomato season is right around the corner. Have a great day all! Blessings! Lisa

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Good morning ~

Sure does feel like spring around here, too. Spring bulbs are peeking out of the ground. I can't wait. It was a pretty warm winter, but it looks like the tulips may make it back to bloom one more season.

Lots of CO2 + H2O + light energy --> (CH2))n +O2 going on (photosynthesis - my DD is taking biology and they just finished a plant cell unit - now *I* know more about cell, cellulose and stuff than I *ever* cared to know!)

Glad the rain is gone for the moment (yes, I know I'll be whining during the dog days of summer, just wishing for a cooling, plant-thirst-quenching down pour). Been missing the sun shine. Should be able to watch the sunrise pretty soon.

Blessings.

Karla

The rain hit us last night. This morning it was blue skies and 46* at 7:30am. I tilled up my pea garden yesterday (before the rain hit).

Today: I really need to get those cold frames built, and I've got a lot of programming todo, both for me and for Trish. Would much rather be working outside, but this needs to get done. Maybe I can break away after noon and do some work outside. :)

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Good morning, Lisa. It's crisp and clear here in central MO.The pest cat decided to stay outside last night so I got a fairly decent night of sleep. I just now let her in.
DH is beginning to recover from the respiratory crud and I'm beginning to have to battle it. Of course we hope DGS doesn't get it but that is unlikely. My back is still hurting too but nothing like it did. Any of you folks feel like praying for us, we sure could use it.
Developing the custom subjects hasn't worked out so we're just doing straight 6th grade work. He did very well yesterday in spite of his fears.
I'll be glad when the weather here indicates it is time to start seeds for the garden. Won't do a large number, but enough to appease my conscience and get the enthusiasum going. DGS will likely get to plan and develop a small floral area this summer. He has an area he keeps talking about and as long as he doesn't try to just make it grass I'll give him some lateral.
Our youngest son's( he's 34)first fish that he left here with us died last night. It was a 2 spot Gorami about 5 or 6 years old. It was acting rather strangely late yesterday evening and died several hours later. I really hated to have to write that letter. Now there is nothing but a 2 year old Pictis catfish in a 30 gallon tank! I think I'll put some of our fish in there when we get over the shock of losing the Gorami. DS's fish and his computer games were all he cared about other than his job so this will be a real blow to him.
Has anyone here been praying the Prayer of Jabez and/or read the book written by Bruce Wilkerson? I've just started the daily prayer and plan to order the book soon.
Have a wonderful day everyone. God's blessings to all of you.

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

OK, who sent the rain?.... It is a good break from the freezing cold and snow and I guess that we need the rain to start off the growing season. I see litte things popping through the soil already, hens are a laying eggs, dog is in heat, kits in the nestbox..so where are the WARMER temps..lol. I am surprised that my new bamboo has stayed green all winter outside and it looks great. I received a small start in trade from Hawaii and a few people doomed the plant to grow here outside. Fortunately so far, with a heavy blanket of mulch, it's doing quite well and is up to 2 feet (from a baby shoot). It's the running type so I have the growing area bound so it doesn't take over my property. I'm curious if my grape vines made it, though. I just don't seem to have luck with them or pampas grass!
Well, stay dry everyone and have a great day :)
Trish

southeast, NE

Good morning! Well we lucked out and only received about 3 inches of snow. Most of Nebraska to the west and north of us received a lot more and the weather people are warning people to not travel to that area. We had a ewe that lambed yesterday that only has milk on one side of her. Dh called vet and he said she probably got mastitis when she dried up last year. She seems to have good milk on one side so hopefully she should be able to feed her twins.

EvaMae - I will keep you and family in our thoughts and prayers and hope you all start feeling well soon.

Better go - just don't seem to get as much done during lambing season as I should.

You all take care!

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

'Mornin' farmers. It is 15 here this morning, which after a few nights of 4* and then 0* feels warm, epecially without wind. Yesterday got above freezing!!! I spent the day making a deer fence that is the funniest, uglyest looking thing I ever saw but may keep the deer out of the garden. I used some 12' corral poles, had to dig them out of the snow, layed them at about a 45* angle over the fence with about 4' of pole hanging over the outside, added some plastic tape type hot fence, (not hot, just a visual barrier) and hope it works. The idea is that the take off point for a deer is about 3 feet from the fence it wants to jump, so when it gets within jumping range this mess will be over it's head and it won't jump. Hope it works....... This morning I have a dentist appointment, then if it warms up enough I will ride Bullwinkle a while. Also have a water tank to clean out and refill. I am getting a saddle cleaned up to sell at the endurance riders convention we are going to this weekend, doing other getting ready to go things, arranged for chores to be covered by a neighbor, etc. Much to do, see you all later.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

evening everyone,
we didnt end up with any snow-just rain so this morning i had to relocate all the boxes of seeds from the basement floor, before the flooding starts! Would really like to see the snow melt though! Things here are mild and temps should hover around freezing this week!!! please mr groundhog say its a early spring!
leaflady-your family is added to my prayer list! hope things get better for you & yours!
hope everyone has a great evening and god bless everyone.
dori

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images