-
AuthorContent
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 14, 2006
3:02 PM

Post #2389422

May I ask for a little guidance? I'm usually on the rose, grasses and classic threads forums, but I have a problem I cannot find the answer to on this forum, a Google search, or the Heartland Peony site. My peony buds are exhibiting a thin brown coating, as you can see in the picture. Last year it was only Ann Cousins, but this year it is all of them (Festiva Maxima, Kansas, Cornelia Shaylor, Mrs. FDR, and Ann Cousins). Once the peonies open they seem fine, but the coating is unsightly. I sprayed "Ann" with a fungicide but it made no difference. I also peeled the coating (VERY CAREFULLY) from some, but if anyone could give me some guidance on what causes it, and prevent it, I would be very grateful.

Donna

Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2006
12:50 AM

Post #2394769

Donna, it's been a wet year (at least in Iowa), not the best for peonies. They are just prematurely starting to rot a bit before they open. Or at least, that's what I think is going on. You might want to write to a peony grower and ask them what they think? Next year, hopefully, will be a better peony year. :)

Diann
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2006
2:20 PM

Post #2407792

Thanks Diann. That makes sense. Let's cross our fingers!

Donna

This message was edited Jun 28, 2006 5:50 PM
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2006
11:53 PM

Post #2448901

Diann. I went to a wonderful expert, who thought, without a photo, that it was botrytis. It's not, and I figured out what it is!

I started flipping through the pages of Rodale’s Complete Garden Problem Solver and found the following (my comments are in parentheses):

PROBLEM: Buds do not open, or they open partially (yes). Brown edges or streaks mar light colored buds and flowers (yes).

CAUSE: Flower thrips (Franliniella ritici). These extremely tiny, narrow-bodies insects and only 1/20 inch long. Young thrips are lemon yellow. Adults are light brown with orange undersides. Thrips hide deep inside peony flowers and are almost impossible to see on plants without using a magnifying glass. If you suspect that a flower has thrips, pick a damaged flower and shake it over a clean sheet of white paper. If thrips are present, they will drop onto the paper and will look like dark specks. These pests injure only peony flowers (which explains why my stems and leaves look wonderful) and their feeding can ruin the flowers.

WHAT TO DO:

Destroy infested buds and flowers.

Use insecticidal soap, following directions.

Keep plants adequately watered and mulched to keep soil moist but not soggy.

Apply loose, organic mulch to attract beneficial spiders.

Attract other beneficial insects by planting nectar and pollen plants, such as alyssum, yarrow, and scabiosa.

Purchase lacewings and beneficial nematodes from mail-order suppliers, and release these beneficials in the garden.

Actually, I think I will use my baking soda and insecticidal soap, and that should take care of any problems.

Thank you for responding. I appreciated your support.

Donna

This message was edited Jun 29, 2006 10:19 PM
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2006
3:15 AM

Post #2449791

Wow, you're good. :) I'll remember that next year if I have problems like that. I still think mine was because it rained too much about the time everything wanted to bloom... All mine opened, they just looked ratty within a day or so of opening because of so much rain and then heat...

Keep me posted on how your peony does next year! :)

Diann
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2006
3:20 AM

Post #2449810

Will do!

Donna

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 4, 2006
1:43 PM

Post #2585784

That interests me too because my peonies and roses do the same thing. The roses are susceptable to balling in the first place, but the humid mornings seemed to be the cause. I always walk around with a notebook in the spring, recording blooming flowers. I'll be sure to shake a few flowers next spring!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2007
5:10 PM

Post #3557750

I alternated the use of achephate and insecticidal soap to get rid of thrips. Did it work? You tell me! Here is Festiva Maxima.

Donna

This message was edited May 31, 2007 12:12 PM

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2007
5:12 PM

Post #3557756

Mrs. FDR

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2007
3:55 PM

Post #3565732

Good for you! :)

Diann
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2007
1:14 AM

Post #3567516

Thanks Diann. Nice to hear fromyou. Hope your peonies are happy.

Donna
SteveIndy
Greenwood, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2007
1:19 AM

Post #3567535

Wonderful peonies, Donna...I planted some Festiva Maximas last fall and hope to get flowers next year. Yours are beautiful!
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2007
4:01 AM

Post #3568169

Yes, she does have some beautiful peonies :) We could use some more pictures!! :) :) :)

Diann
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2007
6:58 AM

Post #3568537

Donna, Your peonies look great!

What is achephate, and how do you apply it? (To the root zone, the leaves, or the flowerbud itself?) I guess I should ask the same application question about the insecticidal soap.

Thanks,
Suzy

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2007
11:43 AM

Post #3568759

Mrs. FDR, all fluffed out...

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2007
11:45 AM

Post #3568766

Oops, double take

This message was edited Jun 3, 2007 6:47 AM

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2007
11:50 AM

Post #3568771

Cornelia Shaylor - still opening out, but you can see the shape of the flower.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2007
11:59 AM

Post #3568785

I think Mrs. FDR is on my list now too. Donna, what beautiful peonies!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2007
12:05 PM

Post #3568798

As my peonies continue to open, I'll send more pictures. Suzy, acephate is a substance in Ortho products that works on thrips, Japanese beetles and aphids (look for it on the label). I really prefer to use natural substances but Neem didn't work - the top picture in this thread shows the results using neem. I actually used insecticidal soap (on the flower buds themselves - the thrips aren't interested in the leaves) every 3-4 days as the buds started to expand. The acephate, one application, again sprayed on the buds only, was a backup. Acephate is systemic, meaning that it enters the leaves and stems and stays there. The thrips do their damage, by entering the flower buds and chewing. So there is no need to apply it to the whole plant. For me chemicals are a last resort, when botanic substances don't work. Last year the thrips ruined ALL of my peonies. I like this much better!

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2007
12:11 PM

Post #3568811

Mrs. FDR is a MUST HAVE! It's widely available, inexpensive, and very easy to grow. I love the fact that it starts very cupped, as in the picture above, and then expands into elegant fluffballs. Because it's widely available, you can probably get one that will bloom for you the year after planting.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2007
2:31 PM

Post #3569178

Steve, here's what the whole plant, Festiva Maxima, looks like.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2007
3:00 PM

Post #3569258

Donna, don't you just love Mrs. FDR when she first begining to pop and then when she is in her full glory. I need to remember to stake her, Ann Cousins, Shirley Temple and all the ones with no names I have in that bed... Here fragrance is wonderfull too. Keep them coming! :)

Diann
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2007
7:38 PM

Post #3570054

Wow! I have Ann Cousins too! That was the first peony I truly had to stake, and she is the one with the damage at the top of this thread. As for the fabulous Mrs. FDR, I agree. We have had several downpours and it makes the peonies incredibly blowsy and sumptuous.

Kansas is starting to bloom, as is Ann Cousins. I'll keep sending them!

Donna
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2007
12:58 AM

Post #3571149

Please do! :)

Diann
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2007
2:26 AM

Post #3571732

Oh, okay, thanks. I wasn't sure what it could be. I was thinking it was somethting you'd buy at the drugstore or health food store. Sort of a cross between Acetone & Acetaminophen. LOL!

Suzy
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2007
5:15 PM

Post #3573773

Suzy,

You are very funny! Try Ace Hardware or any place with a garden section.

Donna
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2007
5:42 PM

Post #3573924

Okay, My peony list is too long now, and I need to refine it. As you (you in general, meaning photo posters) post pics, could you tell us more about them, please? Things like if they are fragrant or not? If they have side buds? If they need to be staked? That is said with a BIG PLEASE and THANK YOU.

Suzy
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 4, 2007
6:57 PM

Post #3574299

Ann Cousins, Shirley Temple, Mrs. FDR, Prince of Darkness, Myrtle Tischler, Festiva Maxima, Mons Martin Cahuzac, Mons. Jules Elie, basically all the old doubles our grandmothers and great grandmothers had in their gardens smell wonderful, and need to be staked.

Silver Shell, Raspberry Sundae, Nippon Beauty, Port Royale, Krinkled White, Pink Princess, Prairie Afire, Do Tell, Firebird, Diana Parks, Gold Standard, Buckeye Bell, Roselette, Double Fernleaf, do not need to be staked, some have heavy fragrance others have light fragrance...

This is why I suggest going to visit a peony nursery so that you can look and smell for yourself. :)

Diann
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

June 8, 2007
12:50 PM

Post #3590355

Cornelia Shaylor. I love this one (well, I love them all). It has to be staked, but it's worth it, and it makes a fabulous cut flower for the house.

Donna

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peonies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fen Dan Bai Tree Peony RDT 10 Oct 4, 2012 12:02 AM
Dividing Peonies garyt 61 Nov 24, 2010 2:32 PM
Peonies and sun or lack of same butterflywi 18 Feb 15, 2011 5:21 AM
looking for peony can trade perennial plants jeaninpgh 5 Oct 7, 2012 3:04 PM
Clematis and Peonies today boojum 11 May 19, 2007 12:58 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America