Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Garden Shed: Seedling starter tray- 5 cups across by 8 cups long

Communities > Forums > Garden Shed
bookmark
Forum: Garden ShedReplies: 27, Views: 447
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
greenthumb_NC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2006
1:50 AM

Post #2395000

This year I found a tray in my stash of hodgepodge that I didn't remember I had. It turned out to be the easiest to work with. The little cups remind me of round kids' Jello pudding cups with a hole in each about a half an inch in diameter. I set my Jiffy 7's in the bottom of each cup after moistening (swelling) and the seeds were placed in each Jiffy 7 and as they were growing I did not transplant them until after danger of frost had passed. The Jiffy 7 ended up with a substantial root mass that was perfect for planting.

What I would like to know is this ... where do I find more of these? I have had it for some time, but it got shoved around and lost in my own mess. I have no idea where I got it. There is no name on it. It is black plastic, but does not fit a standard black tray. What are some names of companies that might be likely to sell it? I have checked catalogs of various seed companies and A. M. Leonard's catalog -The Gardener's Edge. None have these trays.

Karin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
greenthumb_NC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 30, 2006
2:15 PM

Post #2450890

Here is a picture of what I want for seed starting. Can someone help now?

Karin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thumbnail by greenthumb_NC
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Zen_Man
Ottawa, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 2, 2006
3:05 PM

Post #2457971

Karin,

This link is to a similar 40-cell tray:

http://backyardgardener.com/gp/Gardening_Products/Growing_Products/Seedstarting_Kits/40-Cell_Tray.html

MM
greenthumb_NC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2006
9:13 PM

Post #2459158

MM,
The 40-cell tray & the 28-cell tray from the Backyard Gardener link are both unavailable now!!!! I like the 40-cell tray best because you get more seedlings. The one they have in stock is for a 15-cell tray. At the cost of $7.95 per tray, the 15-cell tray is no bargain. I appreciate the hard work you spent on my query. Darn, I wish they had the 40-cell one!!

Karin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

July 3, 2006
1:10 AM

Post #2459791

Karin,

What about these options?

http://www.seedman.com/sstray.htm
(scroll down to the ST24PRO Round-cell insert tray)

Some of these look close but they appear to be only wholesale, but maybe you could find out from them if anyone near you stocks them:
http://www.stuewe.com/products/landmark.html

These look pretty promising too, but you have to buy 50. Maybe you should start a co-op!:
http://www6.mailordercentral.com/igcusastore/prodinfo.asp?number=CN-PRT
greenthumb_NC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 3, 2006
12:34 PM

Post #2461096

Those are some nice links there. I guess I'll have to make a decision about what I'm going to settle on. Thanks a lot. Most of the trays are similar to what I have.

Karin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
wgnkiwi
Burlingame, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2006
3:51 AM

Post #2487841

I don't know how you got on with your search but here's a seed tray with small pots that I have been using this year. It comes in 2 different sizes and has worked really well for me. The best thing about it is it comes with a capillary mat to help with watering and the little pots are quite sturdy.

http://www.gardeners.com/Self-Watering-Transplant-Pots/default/17172.prd
gardengirl1960
Seabrook, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2006
9:40 PM

Post #2811293

I use flats that I got free from a garden center they work well.
They really stand the test of time. Here is a photo of my babies in my free flats. My Pride of Barbados.
I never plant seeds directly in the ground since I don't want to lose them.
Tricia

Thumbnail by gardengirl1960

greenthumb_NC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2006
3:09 PM

Post #2813511

Thanks Tricia for your input. What are those seedlings anyway? I sure like "FREE" also!! LOL

Karin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
gardengirl1960
Seabrook, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2006
5:24 PM

Post #2813947

They are Pride OF Barbados
I have orange, pink and red growing by seeds.
That pix is a few weeks old they are much bigger now... look how far they came below all of them are about this big now the one in the middle is a Purple Orchid tree
Tricia

Thumbnail by gardengirl1960

justfurkids
Toone, TN
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2006
1:41 AM

Post #2815159

Well you certainly can't beat free! I just ordered a bunch of trays from here. The prices are a whole lot better.
http://peppespepperplants.com/zencart2/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5_60

carol
gardengirl1960
Seabrook, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 14, 2006
3:10 PM

Post #2816561

What I need is a place to buy pots 3 inch and gallon! Does anyone know of a place with decent prices? I grow so many plants by seeds!
Thanks! Tricia
corgimom
Pontotoc, MS
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2007
5:28 PM

Post #3128426

Tricia, I am not familiar with that plant. I did Google 'Pride of Barbados' and it looks beautiful. What zone does it survive in? I am on the border of 7/8.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2007
5:35 PM

Post #3128447

Here's the Plant Files entry:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2247/index.html
PF says hardy to zone 8, but I've had problems here in 9b when I leave it outside, it doesn't die but it loses all its leaves and takes forever to come back the next year. Other people in my zone have had luck with it though, but since you're in zone 7 unless you protect it for the winter I think it'll die back each year, not sure if it would come back or not, but your best bet would be grow it in a pot and put it in the greenhouse or bring it in the house for the winter.
gardengirl1960
Seabrook, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2007
7:48 PM

Post #3128777

I grow the pink which is more rare then the orange.
alyrics
Beachwood, OH

February 2, 2007
6:08 AM

Post #3147979

I think Park Seeds was selling that for a whopping $36 this year. But if you have Marc's down in Dayton, check them out this week. I just bought a 46 cell tray about that size with soil for $1.99. I also bought bigger peat pots set down into larger cells - more like cupcake size, for $0.99. Marc's is the best for oddball stuff at rockbottom prices.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 8, 2007
2:54 PM

Post #3169247

Wal-Mart has them ... I think the price is $7.96 ... and I think the tray has 50 little jiffy peat pots!
greenthumb_NC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2007
10:59 PM

Post #3173487

Thanks for all the nifty hints. I'm sure I'll find just what I'm looking for somewhere!!!!

Karin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
gardengirl1960
Seabrook, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 11, 2007
10:15 PM

Post #3179293

That is what I just bought the tray with the jiffy pots in my area Walmart sells them for 5.96 Very happy with it seems to be doing real well:)
Tricia
greenthumb_NC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2007
10:50 PM

Post #3179394

Tricia,

I guess that Walmart has to get in on the gardening supplies. I don't know if our stores have them yet, as it is rather early for doing much of anything, but it sure is worth a trip up there anyway. It's nice to get things early, rather than too late. Thanks for the heads-up!!!!!!

Karin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
gardengirl1960
Seabrook, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2007
2:56 AM

Post #3219271

Well it is in the 70's and 80's here right now so I am seeing alot of gardening stuff out there:)
Tricia
greenthumb_NC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2007
10:41 AM

Post #3219621

gg:
I know I won't see those temps for a while!!

alyrics:
We don't have the store called Marc's. Is it similar to Ace Hardware?

pll:
I haven't been able to check out Wal-mart lately, but that is on my go-fer list before the mad rush!!

Thanks all.

Karin
greenthumb_NC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2007
11:16 PM

Post #3221404

Today I visited Ace Hardware and noticed they have a similar tray with empty 2-3 inch holes, with a matching size tray with no holes and a dome. They were $4.99 each and had 72 little spaces. I have bunches of Jiffy 7's so it did not bother me when it did not include the Jiffy 7's. With a little wrangling when I wet the Jiffy 7's and forming them to the shape of the holes, they will work fine. The less transplanting I have to do, the better!! I will be cutting the extra seedlings in the Jiffy 7 to the soil level, rather than pulling the extras out, so I can have only one seedling in it. Now it's time to figure out what I'm going to plant. Shame on me!! I bought 3 trays x 72 flower spaces. Oh no!!!!!
I better get busy!!!

Karin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
gardengirl1960
Seabrook, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2007
11:38 PM

Post #3221462

It is funny ...this is the first year I used jiffy pots but now I don't know how I lived without them!
I am also using them for those very hard to root cuttings... they seem to work great for that also.
I love how you can shape them..they are almost "Magic" LOL.
Almost like "Sea Monkey's" haha (Anyone old like me that remembers them?)
Tricia

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2007
4:59 AM

Post #3222418

Greenthumb,
Please post name of the 72-cell seed tray from Ace hardware. I googled it, but only came up with one that sells for $83.00. hope it's not the same one!
greenthumb_NC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2007
11:22 AM

Post #3222678

Gymgirl,
This is made by Plantation Products, Inc. of Norton, MA and is called ... 'Mini-Greenhouse Seed Starter'. It has 72 cells. The way the product is described is having ... (1) Clear Greenhouse Dome (2) Multi-Pot Insert (3) Watertight Tray. Here's the SKU number ... 23075 02721 ... LOL
Hope you can find it now!!!

Karin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PrimroseSue
Medway, MA
(Zone 5b)

October 5, 2007
4:13 PM

Post #4051683

Karin, now that it's months later - how did you like the Seed Starter Greenhouse by Plantation? I buy them and throw out the peat disks - I hate them! I swear by Jiffy 7 disks.
greenthumb_NC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 9, 2007
11:57 AM

Post #4064289

Sue,

I was not able to use my mini-greenhouse seed-starters this year. Since I've moved, I've had to tend to other things. I was able to hire an electrician who set up up some Gro-Lights for me in my garage. I hope that I'll be able to use the greenhouse seed starters for the spring season. I have no flower beds at this house, so I have to get going on that too. Thanks for your interest!

Karin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Shed Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quick-Disconnects for garden hoses? darius 18 Oct 5, 2007 8:07 PM
A Man and His Tractor LadibugZ9 16 May 12, 2007 6:29 PM
Tractor on it's way!!!! whooo-hoooo!!! cici77 16 Apr 26, 2008 9:24 PM
Old Reliable CountryGardens 49 Apr 16, 2010 8:20 AM
Your thoughts on a Mantis? Kell 122 Apr 16, 2012 5:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America