Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Hostas: HVX Example photos. Known "Infected" pics only, please

Communities > Forums > Hostas
bookmark
Forum: HostasReplies: 212, Views: 3,238
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2006
3:08 AM

Post #2395402

Hi all, this thread is to help others learn to identify HVX on their hostas. Please post your photos of "known" infected hostas...or at least "likely" hostas. In order to keep this thread focused, please post your pic of a hosta needing HVX identification in a new thread...it will get immediate attention that way. I hope this is OK as we have info scattered about. I have a few photos of hostas obviously infected, and some likely ones that I can share. Apologies on the clarity of some of the photos. I took many with a new camera phone. Warning on my photos, I use Paint Shop Pro to color correct and enhance my photos. It is needed due to the lack of control or lighting at the nurseries where I took many of my photos. It is possible that this process may enhance some aspects of the leaves so that you can tell if the hosta may have HVX, or it may make a "possible" look infected when it may not be. Hopefully Chris or the "real" experts will post if they see something that needs correction. I've also done my best to get the variety of the hosta correct, but in many cases am depending on the tag, which I take of a photo of prior to photographing the rest of the hosta...sometimes the glare washes out the name. Again, corrections are invited.

I'll post several this weekend, but here are a couple really bad examples of the virus. This is a photo of the variety 'Sum and Substance', which is the larger hosta with gold leaves, and 'Striptease', lower left side. The 'Sum and Substance' should be a nice even solid chartreuse green...no blue/green blotches. The "ink-bleed" effect of the dark color following the veins of the leaf are really visible in this pic. Also, the "zig-zag" marks that Chris of Hallson Gardens mentions in his DVD are evident. I credit the people here and his DVD for teaching me how to identify the virus.

http://www.perennialnursery.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=63

Another excellent source of information:

http://www.hostalibrary.org/

Laura

This message was edited Jun 15, 2006 11:20 PM

This message was edited Jun 15, 2006 11:32 PM

Thumbnail by largosmom
Click the image for an enlarged view.

largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2006
3:12 AM

Post #2395420

Here is another of 'Sum and Substance' and 'Striptease'. These pics show both the "ink-bleeding" effect of a darker blue/green on the lighter part of the leaf following the veins as well as bleaching and lighter "zig zag" marks on the rightmost 'Sum and Substance' leaf.

This message was edited Jun 15, 2006 11:17 PM

Thumbnail by largosmom

largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2006
3:13 AM

Post #2395422

Striptease alone. The lower leaf shows definite signs of the "ink bleeding".

This message was edited Jun 15, 2006 11:16 PM

Thumbnail by largosmom

largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2006
3:15 AM

Post #2395428

Edit: Chris from Hallson's believes this one is NOT infected. I am leaving the photo in for educational purposes.

Original comments:
---------------------------------------

This one was labeled 'Old Glory' and is a new cultivar to me, so I can't verify it, but they had several in this nursery that were alike.

I should say that this one may not be infected...it is subtle, but the odd puckering on some of the leaves, and beginning of suspicious coloration in my mind point in that direction.

This message was edited Jun 15, 2006 11:16 PM

This message was edited Jun 16, 2006 8:50 PM

Thumbnail by largosmom

largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2006
3:21 AM

Post #2395446

This one is 'Gold Standard'. It is slightly more subtle, but for the one darker leaf on the bottom. It shows the bleaching signs too.

This message was edited Jun 15, 2006 11:22 PM

Thumbnail by largosmom

largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2006
3:23 AM

Post #2395457

This one is 'Stilletto' (hope that is spelled correctly). These are smaller leaves, but badly infected. Note the puckering on the leaves which are not normally that bad.

This message was edited Jun 15, 2006 11:24 PM

Thumbnail by largosmom

largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2006
3:25 AM

Post #2395462

Here is another pic of 'Old Glory'.

Thumbnail by largosmom

largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2006
3:27 AM

Post #2395471

Edited: Chris from Hallson's believes this hosta is NOT infected. I am leaving the photo in for the purpose of education...it fooled me, so it could probably fool you too...it isn't always easy to identify them.

Original comments:
-------------------------------------
This variety I am not sure, but the photo before it shows 'Love Pat', and I think it is the same, but I may be wrong.

These had just been watered, thus the strange glossiness.

This message was edited Jun 15, 2006 11:28 PM

This message was edited Jun 16, 2006 8:49 PM

Thumbnail by largosmom

largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2006
3:30 AM

Post #2395479

Edit: Chris from Hallsons believes the coloration on this hosta is caused by a nutrient deficiency rather than HVX. I am leaving the photo in for educational purposes.

Original Comments:
-----------------------------------------------------
This one is an unknown, but note that sometimes you can see the virus from the underside of the leaf, or by holding the leaf to the light.

This message was edited Jun 16, 2006 8:52 PM

Thumbnail by largosmom

1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2006
3:33 AM

Post #2395799

This one was just IDd the other day on this forum. Name of hosta unknown. Never got that far with it.

Thumbnail by 1gardengram

largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2006
3:36 AM

Post #2395813

Last are some better quality photos I took last year of my 'August Moon' hosta. I bought this one thinking "Cool", it sure looks different. To my horror this spring, I discovered that it was infected with HVX. Sure hope this thread helps prevent someone purchasing some infected hostas.

Laura

Thumbnail by largosmom

largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2006
3:38 AM

Post #2395818

August Moon closeups.

Thumbnail by largosmom

largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2006
3:40 AM

Post #2395827

Closeup with tag number 1

Thumbnail by largosmom

largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2006
3:40 AM

Post #2395829

Number 2

Thumbnail by largosmom

largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2006
3:41 AM

Post #2395833

1gardengram, thank you for posting your picture!

Laura
1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2006
3:57 AM

Post #2395881

You know what's sad? The plants overall continue to look good, not all wilting and ugly. Makes it harder to find and get rid of the bad ones.
Chris_W
Cement City, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 16, 2006
3:54 PM

Post #2397185

Hi Laura,

Those are some pretty amazing pictures. Were these just at one nursery???

The Old Glory doesn't look infected. The Love Pat and the unknown blue you posted aren't infected either. Although it looks like the veins are darker in those pictures in reality it is the tissue between the veins that is lighter. This is a nutrient deficiency, not the virus on those two.

I almost didn't notice anything on the Gold Standard you posted, but then looking closely I could see that the lower leaves look to have some darker mottling. Good eye on that one.

Did you get a chance to tell the nursery owners? They need to throw out all of their Sum and Substance, Striptease, Gold Standard, and Stiletto and quit buying plants from that particular grower...
jburesh
Renton, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2006
4:35 PM

Post #2397335

Is puckering always an indication of virus? I have some puckering on a couple of hosta, but don't think I see bleeding, at least nothing like what is pictured above.
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

June 16, 2006
5:26 PM

Post #2397508

Well, the horror hit my garden Tuesday evening when I noticed the startings of HVX on my Striptease. I thought I was over the hump with this one as it ahs been in the ground for 3 or 4 years. Guess I was wrong. I would have pulled it already, but I have some others that are close and I want to get those out first so I can dig a huge hole around Striptease and get Everything out of that hole. I'll be looking for a new Striptease now.

Did someone mention Hallsons or Naylor test all for HVX?

This is the first leaf I noticed

Thumbnail by GardenGeek_WI

GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

June 16, 2006
5:27 PM

Post #2397511

The second

GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

June 16, 2006
5:33 PM

Post #2397532

And the third.

When I told Bill I had the virus in the garden (I got the division of Striptease from a friend so I will be calling her to let her know and for her to check hers) he asked what I had to do to the plant. I told him and he said why didn't you get it out of there already,,,told him I had to get a bunch of stuff out before that one, cause I was gonna dig one huge hole around it to make sure I get it all. Will be doing that either tonight or tomorrow morning.

Have the 10 yards of composted manure coming tomorrow. This transplanting is going to take Way more time than I figured. Lift plant, plant in new bed, scrub tool, scrub gloves, for each one,,,Oy Vey, this is gonna take all summer,,lol but, I have too much invested in my collection to Not do what I need to.

So far, this is the only plant I have noticed. Am Still watching like a hawk though.

Kelly

wholyhosta
Lula, GA

June 16, 2006
8:38 PM

Post #2398182

Kelly

I still don't see that much that's difinative on your Striptease photo as absolutely HVX. I know the second leaf has mottling between the veins, so I really think ya need to run this one by Chris. Good luck, cause this is not a good feeling when you know for sure ya have it in one of your beloved hostas. A photo of a good case of it makes my skin crawl.

Chris probably is getting in some overtime on this forum lately! I have photos from last year that I will get off my computer and post.
MyHostaIsland
Camden, TN

June 16, 2006
9:04 PM

Post #2398257

JBuresh,
I know hosta can sometimes pucker if the are over fertilized. Chemical damage can really change the appearance of plants.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2006
9:57 PM

Post #2398423

I agree that you need to run it by Chris. If you've had a look at my thread, I thought I had it for sure. Chris doesn't think so. I e-mailed him the link and was amazed how fast he responded.

Ann
jburesh
Renton, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2006
11:24 PM

Post #2398705

Thanks MyHosta! I just got a number of hosta and am pretty much a newbie. I haven't fertilized at all, but it may be left over from their previous owner.

ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 16, 2006
11:47 PM

Post #2398825

Kelly and everyome else. they say you cannot tell for sure unless it is lab tested. Kelly is your striptease near a cedar tree??? I can send you photos of a striptease that looks like it has a real good case of HVX. It is not HVX I can assure you. The plant las been doing this this time of year for close to 5 yrs. Yet it keep on growing and getting bugger every year. It is crouded right between two Patriots and neither show and type of infection are anything else.

Abpout this time of the year my cedars start to shed. They are close to 100 ft tell so you can imagine how much falls down on the plants. I am convinced it has something to do with the ceder shedding. Can anybody tell me what is the pronosis for HVX. I have looked all over. Does it kill the plant run its course are what. Everyone is talking about it. but what exactly will it do to the plant is let run its merry way. I ahve yet to see it said it kills the plant.
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

June 16, 2006
11:53 PM

Post #2398842

oz,

I don't have any Cedar tree's in the yard, so that's one down. This is the first year that I have noticed this particular pattern. Last year in Sept. I took a leaf to Foxfire with me, showed it to Steve, he said nope, not the virus, just the plant making more chlorophyll before it goes dormant.

This looks nothing like that. It looks like the ink bleeding pattern to me. That's why I am questioning it. Would love to see pics of your Striptease.

I'm not really sure what the prognosis is of a plant that has it. I am going to be ordering the CD from Hallson's maybe that will say something.

Thanks,
Kelly
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2006
12:11 AM

Post #2398889

You know Kelly I have a supecious mind. I just wonder why none of the people are screaming it kills plants and the rest of us like here on Daves Garden have no idea. I will try to take a picture a D-mail it to you tomorrow. It really look bad and I think it is something that is assoaciated with Striptease. I see a lot of people cdomplaining about it on Striptease and I am wondering if it is not HVX at all and just some quirk of the plant.
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2006
1:02 AM

Post #2399057

Thanks Chris! I've updated the photos you mentioned but left them in as I thought it was helpful to see where confusion could occur--thinking if I was suspicious others may be also.

Yes, except for 'August Moon', these are all at the same nursery. Unfortunately, I could not find a manager to speak with on this occasion, and as I was traveling in the area, I will have to see what I can do via email tonight to the company. I used to do a lot of business with them when I lived in the Northern Virginia area where this chain is located. If anyone lives there and needs to know the name, dmail me, please. Otherwise, my purpose here is not to knock a particular nursery but to educate. I will be posting pics I have taken elsewhere when I get them. I almost always have a camera with me when I shop at a nursery anymore as I am collecting info on plants going into my landscape and find it extremely valuable to have a photo of the plant I am considering in addition to its name. So many tags are less than helpful, or downright wrong on their information so I try to look it up before buying a 10 foot plant for a 1 foot space.

Oz...all the info I have read up on Chris' site and the Hosta Library says it does not kill the plant. They seem to start out looking "interesting", then eventually get fairly ugly as the puckering starts up from the ones I have seen.

I hate to say this, but I could post HVX pics from nearly every nursery I have visited this year. You all are welcome to print my photos out and use them for educational purposes. Please ask me if you want to use them for other reasons.

Laura
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2006
2:16 AM

Post #2399327

Quoted from one of Chris' reviews on another thread...might be helpful.

"Hi Cheryl,

With gold hostas the bleeding tends to be dark along the veins, not white, although sometimes in the sun that bleeding also bleaches. The dark green bleeding and/or bright white bleaching has a pretty distinct look to it. In the case of these pictures of Gold Drop the fading seems to start at the veins but then crosses and carries over them to the edge of the leaves. This is more like surface damage, although it may have originated in the lower portions of the veins, but HVX shouldn't look like this, especially on a gold cultivar.

In the case of Red Hot Flash the margins should be dark green. The vein color is dark green, which is exactly what the whole margin should be, so the problem is not darker color along the veins but lighter color between the veins. This is what it may look like when a plant has a nutrient problem. The color change is occuring between the veins, not along them.

Lighter colored mottling tends to occur in green plants, usually the fragrant green ones, and will usually start along the veins and then radiate out.

Because the symptoms vary so much from plant to plant it can be difficult keeping track of them all, but there do seem to be similar patterns on similar plants that make HVX distinct from other looks, like frost damage, freeze damage, sunburn, overwatering, or nutrient problems.

I hope that makes a little more sense.

Chris"
Chris_W
Cement City, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 17, 2006
4:26 AM

Post #2399661

Hi Kelly,

You are absolutely right, your Striptease is infected. Sorry :( Reminds me of the first time I saw it in a batch that I had for a couple years, right down to that sinking feeling when you realize what you are seeing. It starts out slow, sometimes only a tiny spot or two, then grows over the years. Last year there may have been a spot or two on your plant that could have easily gone unnoticed.

And yes, that is a big misconception about HVX and how the plants will grow. Hosta Virus X does not kill the plants and in most cases won't even affect the vigor of the plants. If it did kill them the virus would have been wiped out a very long time ago. However, we grow hostas for their unique colorations; the virus changes all that. Once a hosta is infected it is infected for life.

Patriot, by the way, is one of the plants that is highly resistant to showing symptoms. There are thousands of infected Patriot on the market but they are not showing symptoms and personally I do not know exactly what it will look like once they finally do. The large majority of the infected Patriots started appearing last year so we might know in a few more years what the visual symptoms actually look like.

My DVD may help to identify the many different looks of HVX, but I also really need to add a larger section showing other problems in plants, such as sunburn, frost damage, spring dessication burn, overwatering damage, underwatering damage, fungal leaf spot, etc. At the end of the year I'll do a big update of the DVD with all of the new info we've talked about this year and hopefully add a lot more to clear things up a little.

GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

June 17, 2006
5:01 AM

Post #2399725

Chris,

Thank-You for getting back to me so quickly. I was pretty sure it is HVX, has the classic symptoms. I have scoured the Internet for pics and info on HVX, so I am pretty familiar with the signs. By no means am I even close to being educated enough about this pain in the patootie. In fact, I'm in Hallsons right now ordering your DVD. I will be looking forward to the release of the next one.

Yes, my heart did sink when I saw the leaves. This is the first year I noticed anything on Striptease. I have been watching it very closely last year and this year along with some others that are more susceptible to the virus.

I will be digging every hosta within a 5 foot radius out and then digging to the center of the earth about 6 feet around this plant to make sure I get the whole plant, roots and all,,,hopefully fully intact. I have way to much $ invested in my collection to be spreading it.

I will be buying some abrasive items along with some major disinfectants to thoroughly remove the sap off of each tool I use. Already have 4 hand shovels that I use., Will have to get more spades and gloves. My obsession is expensive and time consuming enough as it is,,,now, I need more items. Anyone realize how long it's going to take me to transplant 300+ hostas into the new beds. I'm figuring I sould be done sometime next year,,lol

Thanks again,
Kelly
kd60504
Aurora, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 17, 2006
1:32 PM

Post #2400333

Well, I'm glad Chris confirmed Kelly's Striptease definitely had it. Mind looked like hers only worse. I was afraid for a minute that I trashed a perfectly good (otherwise gorgeous) hosta. But, I was sure after all the pics I've seen...

Kathy
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

June 17, 2006
1:43 PM

Post #2400368

Kathy

Same here. I was positive it was HVX. I too have coured the internet for pics and info and will continue to do so.

Kelly
kd60504
Aurora, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 17, 2006
1:54 PM

Post #2400410

Sucks, don't it! I planted a Huecherra in that spot (because I was too lazy to dig up the whole area). I HATE IT! Actually, it's a peach flambe Huecherra and just doesn't look nice with the mulch. I think I'll go back today and dig up all the dirt and put my new Robin Hood there. That's the only drag about using mulch, it's a pain in the butt when you want to change things around. I have a large bed in the back that I'm still working on and arranging and re-arranging things before I put the mulch down. But, I'm sure I'll move things a hundred more times before I'm happy with it.

Kathy

9kittymom

9kittymom
Bartlesville, OK
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2006
3:59 PM

Post #2400766

Thank you so much Chris for all your help in this forum. I just ordered the DVD and am looking forward to receiving it.

Susan
=^..^=
wholyhosta
Lula, GA

June 17, 2006
5:20 PM

Post #2401047

Well, Kelly, unfortunately I was wrong- the big guy has spoken.

I'm so sorry, and good luck getting out every last bit of it!!

Brenda
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

June 17, 2006
5:51 PM

Post #2401115

Brenda,

ROFLOL,,,I was just gonna post,,,nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah,,,I was right and you were all wrong,,,Not the I want to have HVX,,,but I knew it was that sarned virus as soon as I saw the dark bleeding spots. O.K., I'll get back to being a grown up now,,,Still ROFLOL

Just ordeed the DVD,,,will also be ordering the new one as soon as it comes out.

BTW, Steve said the same thing last night in his e-mail back to me. Also hoping that it's contained and speedy complete removal.

Kelly
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2006
6:25 PM

Post #2401217

Chris---- This stuff on my Striptease does look like HVX to me. It never appears until hot weather sets in and the cedars sre shedding. Here is a picture for all of you to look at.

This message was edited Jun 17, 2006 1:26 PM

Thumbnail by ozarkian

wholyhosta
Lula, GA

June 17, 2006
7:19 PM

Post #2401357

Ozark

Hope Chris gets back to you today but to my eye ...There are some really badly infected leaves near the middle of the plant, and quite a few that have obvious bleeding along the veins.

Boy, I'm so sorry, if what I'm seeing is true!! Obviously, it's not killng your plant- it looks quite big.

I know that a couple in th FOofS group of breeders have purchased an infected August Moon and are going to document it's decline with photos. They want to know if it kills the hosta, also.

Brenda
wholyhosta
Lula, GA

June 17, 2006
7:29 PM

Post #2401387

Ozark

Can you take a photo of the Patriot that we can see just a bit of in the photo of your Striptease, and post it, please? I just see somehing, that I can't tell what I'm looking at, so need a closer look!!
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

June 17, 2006
7:31 PM

Post #2401390

oz,

Unfortunately, I concur. I have to get mine out today. We just got 10 yards of composted manure. We started shoveling until we were both almost dead. Bill called a friend and he came over with his tractor, boy, that was So much better. Got all 10 yards put in the gardens today. I'm wiped just from this morning.
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2006
10:05 PM

Post #2401821

Brenda-----Yeah it is a pretty good sized striptease,but nothing exceptional. It is 33 inches wide and 24 inches high. The pat's are a bit lower but about as wide are wider. Here is the picture. you know what I am going to do ?. I am going to leave them there till dooms day. I want to see what happens.

Thumbnail by ozarkian

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2006
1:36 AM

Post #2402363

Kelly, I'm sorry for you that Chris has confirmed your suspicions. But I guess it's good to know. Sounds like you've had quite a day.

I find it scary what Chris said about Patriot. Shows even more why we need to ask nurseries whether their plants have been tested. I have a Patriot coming in a trade, but I believe the person bringing it has had hers for awhile and she's very aware of virus considerations; so hopefully it will be fine.

Ann
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2006
1:53 AM

Post #2402416

Ann that whole grouping is about 3 or 4 yrs old. I am not going to panic on this HVX. I want to see what it does.
1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

June 18, 2006
2:53 AM

Post #2402590

It's a beautiful arrangement against that wonderful wall. I wouldn't change anything either. Just be careful when you handle them.
daisymom06
Logansport, IN
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2006
3:21 AM

Post #2402747

Here is the virus on a blue cadet. But at least I was able to inform my favorite nusury owner and in turn he informed his supplier who in turn informed his botanist!!!!
Lisa

Thumbnail by daisymom06

daisymom06
Logansport, IN
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2006
3:24 AM

Post #2402757

Here is another view of blue cadet.
Lisa

Thumbnail by daisymom06

largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2006
3:28 AM

Post #2402773

Thanks for posting your pics, I can use the extra help learning how to ID on the greens.

Laura
1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

June 18, 2006
3:45 AM

Post #2402850

Yes, the more pictures, the better.
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

June 18, 2006
5:09 AM

Post #2403024

oz,
Grouping looks nice. Let us know periodically what is happening. And, yes, be careful when you are around Striptease.

Ann,
I guess he didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. I would have been totally shocked a Very suspicious if he said it didn't have HVX. Yes, we got both the new gardens filled and some put on the raised veggie beds. Was way too tired so will be getting to the Striptease in the a.m.

Glad to see pics of green's also.

Kelly
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2006
1:57 PM

Post #2403668

Kelly one of the first things I learned about HVX was the only way to tell if they had it was through lab test. Now I have learned it does not kill the plant. Maybe it runs its course like human and animal virus's and passes on. All these different things do not collate like they should in my mind.
kd60504
Aurora, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2006
2:04 PM

Post #2403691

Oz, as long as you are aware of it and know the dangers, what the heck. See what happens.

I have all my hostas jammed in together and it would be a disaster for me. Mine are not mature and I'm moving them all the time. For me, leaving it is not an option.

It will be an interesting experiment though.

Kathy
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2006
2:21 PM

Post #2403763

Oz, even if it does not kill the plant, it definitely reduces their hardiness. Although the experiment is interesting, unless you intend to never cut into that bed or the plants in them, I would still be very cautious about the potential to transfer the suspected virus to your lovely collection. You seem willing to risk it, while I'm not. Viruses are all different...some stick with you forever ("shingles" or "chicken pox" virus for example...or other scarier human viruses). Some can be controlled, and some seem to subside while leaving our immune systems with the symptoms or reactions. There does not seem to be enough information to know what type this is...and unless you are going about this in a scientific manner, you can't know if the results prove or disprove your theory.

Laura
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

June 18, 2006
2:54 PM

Post #2403871

oz,

I agree, there is still a lot we don't know about this virus. They are learning new things all the time. You need to do what makes sense to you.

All I know is my Striptease is going today. I doubt I'll replace. I was going to order it from Hallson's, however right in the info on the plant it says the plants have tested negative for HVX for 2 years, still, they don't recommend buying the plant. So, for now, I'll be Stripteasless until we see what happens with them in the future.
kd60504
Aurora, IL
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2006
3:09 PM

Post #2403928

Wow! I was going to order another Striptease too. Maybe I'll go for a Kiwi Full Monty instead.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2006
4:19 PM

Post #2404251

Does anyone know whether all the many Striptease sports are as susceptible to the virus as Striptease is? I've just acquired a Gypsy Rose.

Ann
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2006
5:23 PM

Post #2404532

Ann It mistifies me the stuff that besets this plant. This is the same plant I sent the picture of that looked like it reverted then turned into a Striptease the next year. KELLY MY DEAR is suppose to be talking to somebody about that wierd happening.

These three plants are a bit isolated. I figure if they are that close together then it is to late allready so lets do a experiment and see what happens. There was no indication of anything thill about a month ago. another thing that bothers me is if you look at the bottom of the picture you will see a grassless spot. That is from my lawn tractor that I used as a garden tractor. The passage there is very tight and the exhaust is on that side. One thing about this experiment it might take a couple of years to see what happens.
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

June 19, 2006
5:04 AM

Post #2406970

Ann,

Was wondering the same thing myself. I just ordered Chris' DVD. I'll see if there's anything on there. If not, I'm sure we can d-mail him and ask him to post his answer. Also could start a new thread on that very subject.

OZ MY DEAR LOL,,,I'm getting there. I have to go next week. I'll be taking the info with me.

Kelly
AddieOtto
Clementon, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 20, 2006
2:51 AM

Post #2410697

Chris wrote previously on his website forum that because of the long dormancy period it would be possible to get a sport onto the market before a parent plant is diagnosed so he recommends to be cautious of sports from plants with high rates of infections.

I don't think that means it would be more susceptible but I think that if it wasn't tested along the process it may be at a higher risk. Hopefully I understood Chris's post correctly. He did not touch on this in the post but maybe genetically it would be more susceptible? I'm going to have to order the DVD!

Sue
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2006
3:15 AM

Post #2410800

If the sport grew from the parent, it may already have the virus. If it was grown from tissue culture from the sport, it may be more susceptible, as it shares the parent's sensitivity to it, I believe.

Laura
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

June 20, 2006
3:19 AM

Post #2410822

I just ordered that DVD,,,can't wait to see it.

Well, Striptease is now out of the ground and drying nicely on a flat box. Will burn it ewhen it's dry enough. I sure hope I sanitized well. I think I did, but one can never be too positive.
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2006
3:28 AM

Post #2410854

Hey, you do what you can do, right? We are all watching our hostas like hawks now.

Laura
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

June 20, 2006
3:38 AM

Post #2410896

Laura,

I sure did. I'll be starting to transplant some this week in the evenings. Gawd it's going to take a Ton of time,,,but, will do it.
fescuefairy
Franklin, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2006
3:55 PM

Post #2454593

I just brought in a leaf from one of my beautiful,fat,striptease hostas and compared to the pics of infected hostas. I'm sad to say I have a badly infected plant. She looks so healthy-I have no experience with this virus. What do I need to do? She's in a bed with lots of other varieties of hosta.
kd60504
Aurora, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 1, 2006
4:26 PM

Post #2454694

dig it up. you have to get all the roots or plant another kind of plant there. make sure to disinfect your tools and wash your hands before touching other hostas. some people burn them, some leave them out to dry and throw them away. i put them in with my regular garbage.

bummer, ain't it!

Kathy
fescuefairy
Franklin, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 1, 2006
7:42 PM

Post #2455326

Thanks Kathy- yes, very sad. It will be hard to dig up and throw away what looks like a healthy thriving plant. But I will get right to it tommorrow. Do I need to do anything with the hosta right beside it? I don't see any signs of trouble on it yet.
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

July 1, 2006
9:21 PM

Post #2455630

fes,

As long as the roots don't get sap on the roots of the other hostas you'll be fine. I would just keep watching the ones that are really close. I had some close to my Striptease and I don't see anything on those yet, however, I am watching all of mine like a hawk.

I have been outside transplanting some into the new beds. Believe you me, I have gone through prolly 20 pairs of disposable gloves. I use them one way and then I turn them inside out,,,I Know Scrounge! I am carrying my little garbage pail with me and after I get done with both sides of the gloves, they go into the garbage pail, I have a pail with bleach water (very strong) and a brush on a handle, my hand shovel gets scoured in between each hosta I dig and plant. Well, back out to play Cinderella,,,LOL

Kelly
kd60504
Aurora, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 1, 2006
9:41 PM

Post #2455713

I've been using alchohol in a spray bottle. Spray, scrub and spray again. Then wipe with Chlorox wipes. Overkill?

Although, the bleach would be a lot cheaper. I just thought I'd try it.

Kathy
fescuefairy
Franklin, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 2, 2006
4:46 PM

Post #2458339

Good advice- I'll be diligent about sterilizing tools as I go, although I feel alittle like someone from the center for disease control attacking an epidemic.
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

July 2, 2006
5:42 PM

Post #2458506

I just got a notice that from a vendor that my backordered August Moon is getting ready to be shipped! I think I am going to ask him to replace it with something else! Meantime I am going out here and taking pics of my Striptease again, maybe you guys will see something I dont. I know one thing, all of these pics of plants infected with HVX is making my skin crawl! I cant stand looking at them because I itch all over!
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

July 2, 2006
7:24 PM

Post #2458906

I just wrote and cancelled that August Moon. My replacement? Wolverine and Percy! Why did I look? When it comes to restraining myself from buying Hostas, I am worthless!
Go figure!
ozarkian
Gravois Mills, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2006
8:06 PM

Post #2459020

Sylvia----I have more space between my hosta then you and many others do. If I was you I would not have taken a chance either. I am getting to the point where I am wondering if it is safe to buy any hosta. At this point they do not know how many different types it will effect are what the final outcome would be per plant, and it goes on and on. If what you got is clean then maybe you should be satisfied with that. This spring I could have sworn I seen it on some Montana Areuomarginata in a group of otherwise nice plants. Yet I have never heard of it on them YET. It caused me to back off. I caught my cat lying under this Striptease I have that looks like virus X. Was the first time I ever realized she was using the hosta as a blind on nail birds are chipmunks. I seen a couple of broker stems under there and I got to just wonder now where she has been. If she goes in there gets sap on her and goes somewhere else to hide under another hosta then I got trouble out there for sure.
1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 3, 2006
3:58 AM

Post #2460488

I just had to throw out one with the virus and I had used the same tools on about 15 or 20 hostas making a new bed and not using my head at all. I'm so thankful that all of those are in one place and I will know to watch that bed closely. I won't make that mistake again, that's for sure. I have another bed to complete, but think I will just move around what I have and wait for a couple of years to see what happens.

I wanted to buy more hostas this year, but I'm not buying or trading any until we get better answers on this disease. Is anyone working on a cure that we know of?

Diane
kd60504
Aurora, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 3, 2006
11:21 AM

Post #2460965

I don't know about a cure, but most wholesalers are not buying from Holland where most of the diseased plants came from. If we can then educate people here to get rid of the diseased plants that are already here, it should slow down.

Kathy
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

July 3, 2006
1:43 PM

Post #2461739

My vendor asked me where I saw Autum Moon reported. he says he has had the same August Moon in his nurseryn for twenty years.
Where did I see that about August Moon? I got it off one of these threads some where. Anybody know?
kd60504
Aurora, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 3, 2006
3:07 PM

Post #2462077

Here Sylvia

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/586925/
1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 3, 2006
10:04 PM

Post #2463620

It seems that if his Autumn Moon had been there for twenty years, it would not have been coming in contact with diseased plants. It's that sap contact that transfers the disease, right?

Diane
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

July 3, 2006
11:10 PM

Post #2463846

gram,

You're right. The only way he could have transferred HVX onto his August Moon would be to use a tool to divide it that was used on a hosta with HVX and not sanitized in between, or, a scissors to cut a flower stalk off, or, if he touched a broken leaf and then touched a broken leaf of the AM on the same part of his hand.
lavendargrrl
Apex, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2006
3:17 AM

Post #2464904

Sounds to me like the vendor with the 20-year old August Moon could have VERY easily transfered the virus from another plant over the course of time, like Kelly says. The only way he could be sure is if his plants have been tested. Plus, how likely do you really think it is that in 20 years he's always been so careful every single time he divided, snipped, etc?

Kathy - I believe it's a misconception that all of the virus is coming from Holland. I read somewhere (maybe even here) that the virus is spread much more here in the U.S. now and probably got started here as well. The biggest problems with HVX are in the U.S. and Holland.
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

July 4, 2006
4:26 AM

Post #2465082

I agree. I wasn't careful until this year. And I Still don't know if I'm being carefull enough. I'm using disposable gloves, throwing them out and scrubbing my shovel with bleach water and a brush., Wish I could afford to throw those shovels out each time,,LOL

I'm sure it's spreading very quickly in the US. There are Tons of people that don't know about it. Theya re selling, or splitting hostas that have it without knowing it.

I caught myself the other night reaching down to pluck a flower stalk off of a hosta and going to the one next to it to pluck that one off too. Thought, you dummy,,,you can't do that anymore.
kd60504
Aurora, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2006
12:23 PM

Post #2465456

Kelly, me too. I had heard about HVX last year, but didn't take it very seriously. Kind of like, this food will cause this and that food will cause this. If you listen to all that stuff all you'd be eating is oatmeal and I'm sure I'D be eating the wrong kind.

It wasn't until this year, when I saw it for myself (at nursery's and even had one infected) that I took it verrrrry seriously. Plus the awareness just from reading this forum. I was only a member for 2 months last year and don't remember it being such a big deal.

I've heard and read from several sources that it originated in Holland. But, regardless of where it came from, I totally agree that WE are spreading it. I personally won't be doing any trades any time in the near future. Who knows what I've done in my garden and I feel safer buying either from nursery's that are very aware of the problem and taking precautions or people that I know. It's still no guarantee.

Kathy

p.s. now if someone would pleasssssse tell me what's the deal with my Sagae, I could have a really good reason to buy a couple extra large hostas! If it's bad, I'd rather just get rid of it and replace it now, I don't know what to do?!
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

July 4, 2006
3:39 PM

Post #2465983

Where's your Sagae
kd60504
Aurora, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2006
3:50 PM

Post #2466022

LOL the one I've been ranting about for a few days! It's here

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/621372/

I sent a message to Chris_W. He never responded. I was hoping he was just out of town for the weekend, but saw he posted last night. I sent him another message.

I just don't know where else to go to find out what the problem is and if I should pull them out and get new ones???

I would LOVE it if you would look and tell me what you think.

Kathy
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

July 5, 2006
3:48 PM

Post #2470043

Glad it's o.k.
pdoyle23323
Chesapeake, VA
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2006
4:56 PM

Post #2470294

kd60504 said to get all the roots or plant another kind of plant in the hole of the sick hosta you removed. Can I put something else in its place and be ok? I thought I needed to wait a year before planint anything. I have another hosta 3 ft from the one I dug up. It looks fine but I'm watching it. I have a huge hole now that I would like to put something in but have been afraid to. Please advise.
Thanks,
Dawn
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 5, 2006
8:20 PM

Post #2471066

You can plant anything you want in the empty hole as long as it's not another hosta, unless, you are 300% positive that you got every little tiny piece of root from the diseased hosta out of that hole. Me, I still wouldn't plant another hosta there for at least a year. Throw an astilbe in there instead. :)

Diann
kd60504
Aurora, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 5, 2006
10:19 PM

Post #2471499

I planted a huecherra where I dug up striptease originally. I didn't like the way it looked, so I moved the huecherra, moved the mulch and dug to china, replaced the dirt and planted Robin Hood there.

I tossed a couple other hostas I just didn't like the way they looked and put some of the babies from the co-op in clay pots in their place. I don't know that they had HVX, one was probably just nutrient deficient and the other was Gold Standard that looked funky (no bleeding) and I just dug it up instead of worrying about it anymore.

Kathy
AnnetteG
Hillsborough, NJ
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2006
1:38 AM

Post #2472411

What does one do for this virus? Is there a quick way to get it under control? Thanks,Annette
lavendargrrl
Apex, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2006
1:50 AM

Post #2472447

Annette,

There's no controlling HVX (at least not in infected plants,. which should be destroyed). You can control the spread of the virus through your own hostas by being aware of the visual signs so you can recognize it should it rear its ugly little head, and by practicing safe hosta gardening techniques. Diligently clean your tools between plants when working in your hosta beds, including your scissors or shears if you snip off a flower scape. The best defense is a good offense - I think that's what they say!

~Angie
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

July 6, 2006
3:50 AM

Post #2472984

Annette,

I too can't stress enough about sanitizing All tools in between use on Each hosta. Dig hosta, plant hosta, use bleach and water mixture or ammonia and dish soap mixture, Lysol, anything that is a disinfectant, scrub your tools thoroughly, rinse and wipe clean with a paper towel. I know it sounds like a pain in the rear, and it definitely is, but I just spent 2 weekends doing just that and believe me, I'm still hoping I got my tools clean enough. The idea is to get All of the sap from the root or a leaf off of the tool. I don't want to wipe out my whole collection of 300+, just because I didn't sanitize well enough.

There is no way to get rid of the virus. If you find a plant with the virus in your gardens, get it out, sanitize your tools, lay the hosta out in the sun to dry it out really well and then put it in a garbage bag and throw it out.

Kelly

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 6, 2006
2:13 PM

Post #2473882

I still think that a lot of us are ill-equiped to diagnose the virus accurately - based on the number of threads - mine included, about possibly diseased plants. A large percentage of the questionable ones are turning out to be nutrient deficiency or fast growth.

So, it seems to me that unless you have a POSITIVE diagnosis by someone who really knows what they are talking about, that it would be premature to yank a suspect hosta out too quickly. It might be better to feed it, give it nutrients, and watch it for a few weeks before making the final decision.

If one is vigilent about sterilization of tools, you should be able to protect your other hostas while you are watching it. (Don't forget that the virus often takes awhile to show its symptoms so that any damage to other hostas may have already been done anyway.)

Ann
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

July 6, 2006
6:55 PM

Post #2474955

Ann,

I agree. I was being what I considered Overly vigilent. Bought disposable gloves, mixed my bleach and water, scrubbed well so shovel would be all nice and sterilized,,,rinsed with the hose, then I put the gloves on inside out. Not even Thinking,,,If I touched a virused plant with the gloves, turned them inside out, the virus got onto my hands and it spread to every other hosta I touched when I would turn those gloves inside out.

Talk about brain dead. I feel just terrible and am just sick over it, have been since it dawned on me that I was That STUPID. Trying to save a few pennies could possibly cost me prolly1/3 or more of my hosta collection. And, Yes, Amime Tachi was one of them. Although I do believe I grabbed a new pair of gloves for that one. (Please Lord)

I am now in major panic mode and am checking Every day to see if anything is starting on anything I transplanted. I Still can't believe I did that.

So, use disposable gloves ONE time and Toss them!
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2006
10:59 PM

Post #2475653

Maybe we need a "Not Infected" picture thread too...

Laura
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

July 6, 2006
11:43 PM

Post #2475800

Laurea,

Great idea. There are a lot on here that were thought to be virused and aren't. Would be wonderful to have them all in one thread

And then, we'll need one for all of mine to show what happens when one is STUPID!

Kelly

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2006
1:14 AM

Post #2476125

Kelly,

Don't beat up on yourself. If you've done damage, you can't undo it. Just be careful in the future, but sensible too. And meanwhile, think positive. There's a very good chance that you have NOT damaged as much of your collection as you fear you may have.

Ann
1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2006
2:26 PM

Post #2477979

Kelly--I had to do just what Ann is saying. I was careless and I may pay the price for that, but for right now I am just counting my blessings for the lesson I learned. Don't beat yourself up--life is too short.

Diane
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

July 7, 2006
2:36 PM

Post #2478018

Thanks Ladies,

I'm trying not to kick myself in my substantial rear. It just makes me mad cause I Know better than to do what I did. Will just wait and see now. Hopefully none had the virus.
kd60504
Aurora, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 7, 2006
10:49 PM

Post #2479863

I can't even bear to think about what I did in previous years and where I bought my hosta from! OH WELL! I'm not going to make myself crazy about it anymore. I'm careful now and now is when I'm getting the more expensive plants. So what if a couple Walmart hostas get the ax. This year I've spent more than every other year combined and I've been extra careful. So, hopefully all this new stock will be safe.

Then again...you don't really know that everything your getting is safe either.

It's a cr*p shoot!

Kathy
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

July 8, 2006
1:07 AM

Post #2480306

It sure is
1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

July 8, 2006
3:22 PM

Post #2482054

Yeah, and I don't plan to buy and/or trade any hostas this year. For one thing, my income has just been cut about in half, and that happened at just the right time to keep me from being tempted to go back on my word. I hope that by a year or two from now, there will be a cure for this hateful virus.

All the ones I might have messed up are in one bed and so I have them right where I know which ones to watch for. You should have seen me when I was moving some hostas the other day. You'd thought I was buying stock in Clorox. I do believe in overkill!! LOL

Diane

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 19, 2006
11:57 PM

Post #2639457

Hey Guys!! If I have a hosta that is suspicious looking, and cannot stand to get rid of it can I take it and plant it next to my screened in building at our camp site where there are no other ones arround? If I find another and another I could take them too and at least see them, They would not ever be a threat to any other ones?? Bev
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2006
12:01 AM

Post #2639468

You could, but if they are infected with HVX they are going to eventually die off anyway. Just remember to clean your tools well between working on hostas.

Diann
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

August 20, 2006
9:34 PM

Post #2642145

Dragonfly you are too funny! Diann I didnt know they die off. How long does it take? Some plants have harbored this disease for years ... I thought they just look ugly and deformed.

This message was edited Aug 22, 2006 4:12 PM
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2006
3:14 AM

Post #2643058

Sylvia, I don't know how long it takes, but I have always understood that they will eventually die. I've don't have personal experience in this since my one and only (so far) HVX hosta is now in the Linn County Landfill in a plastic bag. Maybe somebody else has different information??

Diann
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

August 21, 2006
3:24 AM

Post #2643140

I could be wrong, it's been known to happen once,,,but I believe a hosta with HVX doesn't die, it just keeps looking worse and worse. Wouldn't swear to it though.

Kelly
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2006
3:42 AM

Post #2643185

Kelly is correct and I stand corrected. From the Hosta Library..

MYTH - Viruses will kill, or at least severely inhibit growth of the host plant.
FACT Eventually, some deterioration in the health of the plant can occur, but a plant may survive for many years when infected with a virus. Different viruses affect the plant's health at different rates, but some effects may go unnoticed.

So there ya have it. :)

Diann
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

August 21, 2006
3:59 AM

Post #2643231

Diann,

Thanks,,,now I can keep saying I've been wrong once in my life,,,roflol Yeah, right

Knew I read it somewhere. Problem is, I read so much, I forget where I read it. So, unfortunately, I can't always share to my source.
bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

August 22, 2006
1:57 PM

Post #2647532

Can someone tell me the article about the virus?? I do not know much about it so I need to read. I have a lot of brown spots on my hostas now and i want to make sure that my investment are not infected.LOL!! Thank you, Bellie
lavendargrrl
Apex, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2006
3:29 PM

Post #2647816

Bellie -

There is a lot of good HVX info at the Hosta Library:

http://www.hostalibrary.org/firstlook/HVX.htm
jachurch
Apple Valley, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 22, 2006
5:32 PM

Post #2648249

My sysmpathies to those of you who have HVX in your gardens. I, too, have been hit through an infected Gold Standard that I planted last year. The Gold Standard is long gone, and fortunately, it was planted in an area where I didn't have to disturb other hostas in digging it out. Unfortunately, I forgot to take pictures before I sent it to the landfill.

Sadly, I must have spread the HVX to this Night Before Christmas before I realized what was going on. This was definitely diagnosed by the University of Minnesota lab's tissue analysis. The plant was close to two other NBC plants, so I carefully dug it with a garden fork from the side away from the other two plants. Now I am watching the other two to see if they show any signs of having been contaminated.

Jeannine

Thumbnail by jachurch

GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

August 22, 2006
7:22 PM

Post #2648552

bellie,
If they are brown spots,,,prolly not HVX. More likely to be Nematode, some kind of pain in the rear bug, or winding down for Fall,,,grrrrrr

church,
So sorry to hear about your Gold Standard. and NBC. I have a GS that is 9 years old so I'm fairly certain it's clean. I'd be willing to send you a start of it for postage. If you want, d-mail me with your address.

Kelly
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2007
3:16 AM

Post #3245975

By the way, anyone who wishes to use my photos for educational purposes to teach others about HVX is welcome to do so. Note Chris' caveats on some of the pics I posted in this thread. I found it helpful to have photos with me last year when I was shopping and discussing this problem with the various garden centers in my area.

Laura
frans530
Rankin, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2007
2:50 PM

Post #3447728

Just thought it was a good time to bump this thread up.
Fran
tggfisk
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 30, 2007
6:59 PM

Post #3448537

Glad you did, Fran. I thankfully have never had the virus and now know a bit more about what to look for.
ademink
Indianapolis, IN

May 2, 2007

Post #3456145

largosmom...this is in reference to your pic that has both Striptease and Sum and Substance:

I've noticed that many S&S plants and sports have pronounced spidery looking "bleeds" running horizontally between the veins when they first come up in the Spring. I have 2 S&S's, one Bottom Line a Lady Isobel Barnett and a few others. I noticed that they all look very much like your "postively ID'd" version of S&S w/ HVX.

I guess I am trying to say that I hope that people give their plants time to come up and color up properly before prematurely diagnosing them w/ HVX.

I know that all of my S&S's and sports that I own don't have HVX, but they look almost identical to your pic.

Hope this made sense. :)

Andrea

PS Chris, please correct me if I'm wrong and own 7 infected hostas. LOL
1gardengram
Fayetteville, NC
(Zone 8a)

May 5, 2007
1:13 AM

Post #3464598

I'm glad this thread was bumped up.

I'm glad to report that in the new bed where I had one infected plant and very carelessly used the same tools on a bunch of other acquisitions, I have no signs of problems. As soon as their little green tips popped out, I was down there as close as I could get to check them out. So far so good. I sure learned a lot about taking care of my tools from that mess last year.
ademink
Indianapolis, IN

May 5, 2007
11:20 AM

Post #3465369

Oops, just realized in the pic I was talking about, both of the large leaves are sum and substance...and the one on the left *definitely* is a leaf showing HVX. Ignore my post. LOL
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2007
1:26 PM

Post #3465682

I'm still on the lookout too. I have one suspicious blue hosta that I'll probably take some photos of later.

Laura
gonefishin
Joliet, IL

July 6, 2007
9:55 PM

Post #3704371

bump
sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

July 8, 2007
12:53 AM

Post #3708813

I was on a garden tour today and saw two instances of HVX in one of the gardens. Not the kind of thing you want to hear if your garden is on a tour, that's for sure, so I debated on whether to say anything.

I got talking to her about the wonderful things in her garden and she brought up the hostas, so I said, "speaking of hostas, did you know..." We went to check out the plants in question and I showed her the characteristic inkbleeding along the veins. She had heard of the virus last year, but she was grateful to know about it in her yard. Grateful but sad, she said. Anyway, we had a great conversation after that. And she got me back by making me pose for a newspaper photographer. lol

She said she'll probably destroy it, and she certainly won't divide and share that 'different' looking plant with the neighbours!

Sandy

Gold Standard

Thumbnail by sanannie

sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

July 8, 2007
12:55 AM

Post #3708819

The Sum and Substance was a little more subtle:

Thumbnail by sanannie

MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2007
3:13 AM

Post #3709446

I was re-reading this thread with interest tonight because this past week I visited two different hosta gardens. Neither seemed concerned about HVX. One didn't know a thing about it! The other is president of her local hosta society so presumably knows about HVX. Both used the same shovel to dig up hostas for sale with no cleaning in between uses!
I think I'm going to stop buying plants and just hybrize my own from now on!!!

MollyD
Jax4ever
Boxford, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2007
3:32 AM

Post #3709506

Molly, I like your idea!
It makes me feel just a little smug in knowing that my garden isn't on a tour (yet), but someone who does have a tour garden has infected plants! I do feel like such a smarty-pants telling "experts" that they have HVX! Of course, I am so smart b/c I get info from all of you out there!
Should I add my 2 victims to this post?
marie_
West Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

July 8, 2007
3:56 AM

Post #3709594

I also recently went on some local garden tours put on as a fundraiser. I was thrilled that several of the gardens were full of amazing hostas. However, I did notice a dreadfully infected Gold Standard in one of the gardens. It was tucked back in an out of the way corner, so perhaps the owner was watching it. I did not say anything to her. There were already a great many people talking to her, and I just didn't have the heart to say something to her. Everything else in her wonderfully landscaped garden was perfection...and...she dug every hole and moved every rock herself.

Should I have made the effort to speak to her about her infected plant? (And, I could have offered a replacement to her from my own garden. I have a long border of mature Gold Standards that are at least 7 years old.)
largosmom
Newport News, VA
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2007
4:07 AM

Post #3709631

I think a "thank you" card to her for hosting such a nice tour would be appropriate. You could enclose a few photos you took of it in its prime (or comment about a particularly nice plant), and simply say that you could not help but notice that her Gold Standards did not look like yours and suggest that she check the hostalibrary and Hallson Gardens HVX links for more information if she was not already aware and enclose a picture of yours and an offer to share some if she should need to replace it.

Laura

This message was edited Jul 8, 2007 12:08 AM
marie_
West Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

July 8, 2007
4:09 AM

Post #3709638

Laura...you are indeed the Ann Landers and Miss Manners of hostas. The perfect solution, and so easy to do gracefully. Thanks!
sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

July 8, 2007
11:08 AM

Post #3710088

I was worried about hurting her feelings but I think there is a way to approach the situation gracefully, if given the proper opening. People go to tons of work to prepare for a garden tour. I think it helps that they know you appreciate that above all else.

Sandy

This message was edited Jul 8, 2007 8:47 PM
susybell
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 8, 2007
2:03 PM

Post #3710493

Hi Jax,
I'd like it if you added your victims here. The more pictures I see, the better I'll learn how to identify them. Thanks!
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2007
4:30 PM

Post #3711039

I saw one at one of the gardens and I didn't have my camera drat! It was a Gold Standard and the grower thought it was sporting but I wondered if it was HVX. It was the usual GS colors but with large patches of bright yellow and cream on it. He was thrilled and told me some big name in Pa had registered one just like it. I didn't have the heart to say I thought something was wrong with it. Somehow it looked wrong, not like it was sporting at all.

MollyD
ademink
Indianapolis, IN

July 8, 2007
8:44 PM

Post #3711804

HVX wouldn't show up as bright yellow and cream patches so I wonder what it was. Hmmmmmm...
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2007
12:40 AM

Post #3712628

Not even if it was messing the chromosomes up?

MollyD
lavendargrrl
Apex, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2007
11:37 AM

Post #3714006

Here is Beckoning, unfortunately infected with HVX :( I'll be digging it up and disposing of it this week...
~Angie

Thumbnail by lavendargrrl

ademink
Indianapolis, IN

July 9, 2007
1:40 PM

Post #3714414

Angie, wait a minute...I'm not sure that has HVX. Can you get a close up of hte leaf at around 7:00 in your photo above?
lavendargrrl
Apex, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2007
2:38 PM

Post #3714671

Andrea,

Here's another pic that I had posted in my other thread...I can get a better closeup when I get home from work today.

Rose1656
Oquawka, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2007
2:46 PM

Post #3714705

I, too, didn't take this very seriously until this year. I hadn't even heard a lot about it until last year. Now, I just walk and look almost every day. I am being very careful this year. I hate the look of the spent scapes, but I'm leaving them. It's really discouraging to see that hostas that some of you have had for 7 or 8 years are just now showing the signs. That means I still have some worrying to do. I have both Striptease and S&S that I've been watching very closely for signs. I got a Gypsy Rose this year that has some strange markings on it, but it's still new, so I'm going to leave it alone and see what happens. None of my hostas (except the ones behind the garage) are touching, so hopefully I'll be okay.

Rose
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2007
4:05 PM

Post #3714948

Rose, if you clean your clippers between hostas you'll be fine. :) Might as well get use to doing it. It's actually a good idea to clean the clippers between any plant that you suspect might be a problem.

Diann

9kittymom

9kittymom
Bartlesville, OK
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2007

Post #3715238

I have two Beckoning. On opposite sides of the house and from two different places.

They just always look like crap IMO. I don't really like it. I don't think it has HVX though.

It is just not a pretty hosta.

Susan
=^..^=
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2007
5:47 PM

Post #3715308

9Kittymom, post a picture, ok? I got Beckoning new last year and it's not really big enough for me to decide if I like it or not. :)
lavendargrrl
Apex, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2007
7:09 PM

Post #3715575

Just an update...I also posted this hosta on the Hallson's HVX forum, and Chris isn't sure that I have HVX on Beckoning. I am going to get a closer pic of the spots later today.

From Chris:

"It does look a bit odd, but hard to tell from the picture if it really is HVX. Do you have a macro zoom on your camera to get a really up close shot of some of the spots?

Also, check the back for brown dots. Some sucking insects will attack from the back which can discolor the front.

Beckoning goes through some odd color changes at times, and especially when it is younger. My plants had some funny looks to them last year so I sent them off for testing and they were fine. This year they have a much cleaner look to them. And I spoke with the grower of this one and they also had complaints about possibly virused plants but they all checked out to be fine."
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2007

Post #3715634

Cool, please keep us posted! :)
ademink
Indianapolis, IN

July 9, 2007
9:32 PM

Post #3716052

Yep, I echo Chris' thoughts...that's exactly what I am talking about. It doesn't follow the veins well enough - it's just coloration stuff in the tissue which doesn't look HVXish to me.

Get us a closer pic and let's see what becomes of it!

Paul's Glory is another one that can look infected when it isn't.

By the way, I love my Beckoning. :)
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 9, 2007

Post #3716055

Ademink, pictures please. :) I want to see a mature one.. :)
ademink
Indianapolis, IN

July 9, 2007
9:53 PM

Post #3716114

Mine is still a baby w/ one fat eye. :) I got it in a co-op this year but I think the colors on the leaves are amazing! I'll post a pic later. :)
lavendargrrl
Apex, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2007
11:27 PM

Post #3716434

These pics aren't too great. It was about to start raining so I didn't have much time to mess with the camera. Hopefully the spots/bleeding is clear enough to tell what's going on.

lavendargrrl
Apex, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2007
11:27 PM

Post #3716435

Here's the whole leaf

lavendargrrl
Apex, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2007
11:28 PM

Post #3716437

And one more

lavendargrrl
Apex, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 9, 2007
11:41 PM

Post #3716477

Wow - Chris already responded to my pics and he says that because of the brown spots in the center of the darker spots, it's probably insects and NOT the virus. What a relief! I will watch this hosta closely and be very careful, but I'm feeling much better about it now that Chris has weighed in :-)

~Angie
ademink
Indianapolis, IN

July 10, 2007
4:12 AM

Post #3717562

Well, I'm not a pro but I'm glad I guessed right! :)
lavendargrrl
Apex, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 10, 2007
11:50 AM

Post #3718165

I'm glad you guessed right, too, Andrea! I totally thought it was HVX.
~Angie
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2007
1:42 PM

Post #3718467

If it would have been mine, it would have been on it's way to the landfill. It's a good thing we have Andrea and Chris around. :) Way to go Ademink! :)

Diann
ademink
Indianapolis, IN

July 10, 2007
2:06 PM

Post #3718542

Hey, someone needs some good hosta news after the nematode drama I've had this week! LOL!!!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2007
6:42 PM

Post #3762759

Never did get pics of my Gypsy Rose posted as I dug it out of my garden on the very day we left for three weeks in Australia. Here it is. And this was Chris' response.
Quoting:YES, your Gypsy Rose definitely has Hosta Virus X. The first picture doesn't really show something that would be a definite symptom, but those dark green streaks right along the veins in the second picture are EXACTLY what you are looking for on a gold centered plant.

He also indicated that there is a very high incidence of infected Gypsy Rose plants now. Mine was a year old, but just showed the symptoms this year. I'm hoping I was vigilant enough not to have spread it.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2007
6:42 PM

Post #3762764

And another pic.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

Jax4ever
Boxford, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2007
3:36 AM

Post #3764262

Guess who just bought a 'Gypsy Rose'?????

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2007
4:01 PM

Post #3765434

Oh no! I guess you need to watch it very carefully. (I would think anything in the Striptease family might be suspect because if the parent plant had it, it would then be passed on to any sports).
jachurch
Apple Valley, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 8, 2007
10:44 PM

Post #3834185

I have just had my Paul's Glory confirmed as HVX positive by the University of Minnesota Plant Disease Clinic http://pdc.umn.edu/

The web site have a form to submit with samples. The cost is $25 per sample for virus testing. They use the ELISA techinique for HVX testing.

Jeannine

This message was edited Aug 8, 2007 9:05 PM

This message was edited Aug 8, 2007 9:05 PM

Thumbnail by jachurch

jachurch
Apple Valley, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 8, 2007
10:45 PM

Post #3834186

Another shot of Paul's Glory.

Thumbnail by jachurch

MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2007
12:04 AM

Post #3834428

Jeanine I got an invalid request when I clicked on your link. Could you please post it again, maybe it got changed some?

Thanks!

MollyD
jachurch
Apple Valley, MN
(Zone 4a)

August 9, 2007
2:06 AM

Post #3834894

For those of you who may have been frustreated by the link, I did edit it in the message above, but here it is again.

http://pdc.umn.edu/

I just tested this link, and it works for me.

Jeannine

This message was edited Aug 8, 2007 9:06 PM
dovebydesign
Greentown, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2007
3:08 AM

Post #3835139

The linked for me also. Both links actually. Sometimes it is the server being harried!!!
Flintrock
Flint, TX

August 9, 2007
6:59 PM

Post #3836979

I am new to hostas. I have been planting since spring 2006. I a begining to get scared. The HVX thing is a tough one to identify.
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2007
7:29 PM

Post #3837114

Flintrock, No reason to be scared, just know your facts, what it looks like, proper cleaning of tools and only buy from people that live and breath hosta (and what they take for precautions) and you'll be fine. :)
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2007
7:53 PM

Post #3837206

Thanks Jeannine. That looks like a very useful page to have on hand!

MollyD
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

August 9, 2007
8:16 PM

Post #3837306

flint,
Don't be scared, chances are you won't get it, but it's nice to know the symptoms to keep and eye out.
ademink
Indianapolis, IN

August 10, 2007
3:07 AM

Post #3838840

Be scared about foliar nematodes...then you won't think twice about HVX. LOL!

9kittymom

9kittymom
Bartlesville, OK
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2007

Post #3841186

For sure!!!! nematodes are KILLIN me!!

Susan
=^..^=
ademink
Indianapolis, IN

August 10, 2007
9:10 PM

Post #3841639

Me tooooooooooo
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

August 11, 2007
2:37 AM

Post #3842965

Me three!
dovebydesign
Greentown, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 11, 2007
9:59 PM

Post #3845602

Well, there are sprays that kill about 90% of nematodes. One could see if you could get them?

What do nemo infected plants look like?
susybell
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 11, 2007
10:21 PM

Post #3845652

Yes, do we need a new thread for nemo-infected plants, too?
GardenGeek_WI
Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

August 12, 2007
3:26 AM

Post #3846695

dove,
They have brown lines running through them.

susy,
Prolly wouldn't be a bad idea
sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

June 9, 2008
8:22 PM

Post #5078173

Here is another sample of HVX.

Alex Summers shows puckering and inkbleeding in only the second year in my garden.

Thumbnail by sanannie

Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 9, 2008
8:54 PM

Post #5078315

Here's what it looks like on Halcyon. The darker splotches are sunken in, and the plant emerged in the Spring with some very deformed leaves, as well. This would have been it's third season in my garden.

Thumbnail by Noreaster

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2008
8:22 PM

Post #5123796

Here's my Lakeside Looking Glass which has confirmed HVX according to the nursery's test strips. (Sorry, but it's also got a bit of dirt on the leaves).

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2008
12:56 PM

Post #5126966

Badly diseased Striptease.

Thumbnail by postmandug

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2008
12:57 PM

Post #5126971

Closer one of the same plant

Thumbnail by postmandug

sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

September 22, 2008
2:58 AM

Post #5583097

Although it cost an arm and a leg by the time I got them here, those Agdia test

strips have been worth it because they've confirmed 3 cases of HVX in the garden for me late this summer.

Interestingly, my records show I bought all three of them in either '04 or '05. I didn't notate the name of the nursery, which indicates I bought them someplace other than a specialist hosta nursery, because I always notate the name. It was probably a big box store, or seasonal garden centre.

I wanted to post these because they show a different symptom from the inkbleeding symptom I was used to linking to HVX. These just looked funky in the garden, so I tested them, and sure enough...

Sandy

#1 - Mottling
Here's my 4 year old
Lakeside Black Satin

Thumbnail by sanannie

sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

September 22, 2008
3:01 AM

Post #5583109

#2 - spotting
montana 'Mountain Snow', also 4 years old

Thumbnail by sanannie

sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

September 22, 2008
3:03 AM

Post #5583118

#3 - leaf collapse/puckering
Mildred Seaver was only 3 years old

Thumbnail by sanannie

sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

September 22, 2008
3:06 AM

Post #5583126

Here's a shot of the test strips telling the tale.

I'm sad but glad. Glad they are now out of the garden!

Sandy

Thumbnail by sanannie

ic_conifers
Iowa City, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2008
2:08 PM

Post #5584428

Sandy, thanks so much for posting these pictures. The 'Mountain Snow', like you said, really doesn't have much of "classic" symptoms, just looks worn at the end of the season. I hate HVX. I hope none of mine end up with it. I've been religious about disinfecting tools but did buy two plants from a seasonal garden center this year...hopefully they will be fine.

Elizabeth
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 22, 2008
2:16 PM

Post #5584457

Ugh, now I feel even more depressed. My entire garden was started in 2005...I've had one case of HVX so far but I'm so afraid they've all got it now and I just don't know it yet. I didn't buy any test strips because I kind of don't want to know how bad it is. :(

I'm really sorry, Sandy.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2008
5:11 PM

Post #5585217

Noreaster - you SHOULD buy those test strips because you might be pleasantly surprised and even if you aren't you'll know where you stand instead of constantly worrying about spreading a virus you 'might' have.

Elizabeth - I've had two confirmed cases of HVX - one in a plant new to me in 2006 and one that was new last year. Both were reputable sources. Just keep a good watch on your plants, but I hope you will be fine.

Ann
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 22, 2008
5:41 PM

Post #5585341

I know Ann, but I guess I just prefer to live in denial and enjoy my plants as long as they are looking nice. I do disinfect my tools and all that. I also agree with you that I don't know that the source means a whole lot, considering the length of time the virus can remain dormant. I think it can show up anywhere hosta are being produced..I know what a major pain it is for me just to disinfect between cuts and maintenance of my own little garden...I just can't see a lot of growers going to all the trouble, all the time. But, I admit I'm a pessimist.

Sandy, did you test all your hosta or only ones you thought looked a little funky?
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 22, 2008
5:53 PM

Post #5585381

Yikes! The price they want for those strips! For the moment my collection looks OK. But, I've got some coming in a fall order and some I put in earlier this year. Now I read that it can take a year for the disease syptoms to actually show. Plus, what got my attention about this thread was a trip to what I always considered the best garden center in the county. I stopped dead in my tracks in the hosta section. They had obvious hostas that appeared infected. Needless to say I bought no hostas. If I have any infected plants that aren't showing symptoms I've already spread it by cutting back the flower scapes that were going to seed. :>( After this fall order I'm out of the hosta collecting hobby until either the test strips get cheaper and you can take them with you to the garden center or this disease is under better control. 80% of my back yard is a series of shade and Japanese Maple gardens. The last thing I need are a bunch of diseased hostas,
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2008
6:12 PM

Post #5585437

So, does this mean hostas like my Gold Standard, Golden Tiara, etc. might be in demand? :) LOL

I counted that I had something like six or seven mature clumps of Gold Standard. I found a long forgotten colony of Golden Tiara yesterday...

Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 22, 2008
7:33 PM

Post #5585703

If they're older, I guess so, Ticker! I really envy all you guys that have started your gardens a long time ago. I'm new to it all and love hosta most of all, but if I let myself think about HVX I get seriously depressed. Snapple, what is scary is that it can take longer than a year for signs to show. I could deal with it if I lost a hosta I planted only a year ago. Losing a mature specimen is what would get me. Sandy's are 3-4 years old and some aren't even showing "obvious" signs, yet are still infected. And I have seen obvious cases in virtually every nursery around here- including the upscale ones.
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 22, 2008
7:46 PM

Post #5585743

Major, major bummer. I'm done with the hosta stuff. Anybody got a list of other shade plants as versatile?
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 22, 2008
8:41 PM

Post #5585986

Snapple, why would you be done with hostas? Just buy your stuff from reputable dealers and you're fine. I love hostas way too much to let HVX or nematodes or any other virus get in the way of my collecting them.
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 22, 2008
9:04 PM

Post #5586095

I'm going to take a "time out" - Time to evaluate the health of the ones I currently have and time to watch the growers' response to this menace. Since I also love to share and swap hostas with local fellow gardeners I feel a responsibilty to make certain that I don't unknowingly add to the problem. We have a local Hosta society here. My next step is to contact them. I've heard, but havn't verified, that they have a co-op going on getting the test strips. My goal during this time out is to assess the health of what I have. My collection is pretty small, only about 25 named cultivars, but the total mass is a major part of the gardens.
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 22, 2008
9:11 PM

Post #5586118

Ann bought from a reputable source and her hosta still turned up with HVX. But, I'm not gonna stop collecting them either...I'm just gonna stay in denial and keep cleaning my tools! I think anyone willing to trade understands the risk at this point.
sanannie
White Lake, ON
(Zone 4b)

September 23, 2008
2:47 AM

Post #5587499

Noreaster, you asked whether I tested all my hostas or just the ones that looked funky. I'd love to be able to test them all, but I have about 300 hostas now and by the time I got the strips up here to Canada, the added cost translates to each strip costing $7.13. That's over $2,000 to test them all ! No, these particular ones just didn't look right, so I tested them.

Snapple, that sure would be nice if the strips were cheap enough to take with you hosta shopping!

Don't you guys feel that it should be the responsibility of the nursery to at least do a batch test when they get a shipment in? If one hosta in the batch tests positive, likely the whole batch will be the same. Perhaps a lot of them do this. As consumers, yes, we have a responsibility for sanitation in our gardens, but, darn it, I sure would like to be able to buy virus-free hostas without feeling I need to test each one. That's $7 per hosta (for me), plus the hassle of buying the strips. Although, having said all that - it does give me a sense of security having the strips to test a few that look odd. But if one day I knew my garden was HVX free it would really irk me to think I have to test each new hosta myself. Makes hybridizing your own hostas look mighty attractive, eh.

Sandy

Edited to say that the strips are not exactly instant - you are supposed to wait 30 mins for results.

This message was edited Sep 24, 2008 11:02 AM
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2008
4:45 AM

Post #5587905

This issue will have to addressed by the growers. Economically they really can't afford not to. Once they do get a handle on it the remaining reservoir of diseased stock will be in home gardens. That's a dicey problem because every time an infected hosta gets innocently passed along the reservoir increases. Research indicates that there is no treatment for any plant virus. So, identification and sanitation of infected material along with the development of resistant varieties will be the front line in the battle. It won't be pretty.

This message was edited Sep 23, 2008 10:04 AM
ic_conifers
Iowa City, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 23, 2008
1:58 PM

Post #5588676

I think nurseries do have a responsibility to do "test spots." If they purchased strips in the kind of bulk they would need, I bet that would drive the cost per test to $3-$4 each. Test 5% or so of stock coming in, a few plants from each shipment, and reject the whole shipment if any show up with HVX. I really think that if the supernurseries built in the cost of testing and let customers know that is what they were doing, we would be willing to absorb the price. I for sure would be willing to pay $1 or $2 more per plant if I knew that it was from a batch that was tested.

Elizabeth
City_Sylvia
Dallas, TX

September 23, 2008
6:54 PM

Post #5589713

I hate to hear you guys talking about discontinuing your collection of Hostas... there are do many hostas I say .. so what! Until the industry start doing test strip on their plants we are at a lost anyway. I am not going to buy test stripes to find out if a plant has HVX ...when Icould just junk the plant and buy another. ... there is just too many of them (hostas) out there. ... and I never seen a Hosta I did not like.
Also I question the validity of the test stripes, whats the percentage of accurcy? I dont see the big guy using them. The tissue culture process it self is suppose to stop the production of HVX cells ... so who is to blame?
So what is happening here?

last year i showed you guys pictures of my Striptease, because it appeared diseased to me ... you guys said nothing was wrong with it, but my pictures looked worse than Pugs, but nothing thing is wrong with Pugs.
I might be wrong, but I dont think the Hosta industry is regulated enough to make all these claims... so I am not giving up my Hostas.
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2008
7:25 PM

Post #5589830

The growers know they have a problem and are working to address it, but still diseased stock is finding its way into the market place and into our gardens. Read the article link below. When I buy a hosta I buy it because it has a particular set of traits that I find pleasing - color, variegation, sun tolerance, size and texture. I don't want the plant to wind up looking different because it's diseased. Even if the disease changes the plant to be oddly attractive, at least at first, it can't be propagated like a desirable sport. In short the plant is worthless and threatens the rest of the surrounding hostas. I'll close my collecting for now ( pretty small collection anyway but growing) to preserve what I have.

In my opinion, in the current environment, adding new hostas to an established garden could ultimately cause the loss of the entire collection. I don't have much really, but I chose what I have carefully and I'm not willing to risk it all.

http://www.floracultureinternational.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=437&Itemid=8&ed=40
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 23, 2008
8:49 PM

Post #5590161

Great article Snapple. However, I'm still buying Hostas and the growers I buy from guarantee their hostas to be healthy, etc. :) And are proactive on protecting the consumer from HVX and Nematodes. :)
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2008
9:20 PM

Post #5590299

I don't see how introducing a virus infected hosta puts your whole collection at risk...unless, I guess, if you have them all packed in together with no space between any one them. I feel reasonably sure I haven't passed the virus along in my collection, even though I've had one sick plant so far. Along with cleaning tools between cutting and digging, I now also line the hole with newsprint every time I swap hosta in the garden, and add new soil so that any old root fragments don't mingle with the new roots until everything is well broken down. The reason I think my whole collection is probably infected anyway is not because of anything I did, but from how the plants were most likely handled at the growers or later the nurseries.

Ticker, are there growers that will actually guarantee that they will sell you a hosta that won't come down with HVX four years from now? If it does, do they just replace it for you?

I may have asked this once before but do those strips detect the virus even if the plant does not display symptoms of any kind?
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 23, 2008

Post #5590359

Yes, the strips do detect the virus before the plant shows symptoms. I have no fear of buying hostas from Naylor Creek, Hallsons, Dawn's Bloomers, In The Garden Nursery, etc. Those folks have been on the forefront of fighting HVX and have moved to ensure that their stock is clean. I buy hostas from people that live and breath hostas. I don't buy them from big box stores or specialty nurseries (swanky or not), and I usually don't buy them from someone having a sale in their yard unless I know that person and where they get their hostas. :)

This message was edited Sep 23, 2008 4:39 PM
MollyD1953
Columbia, TN
(Zone 7b)

September 23, 2008
9:39 PM

Post #5590383

I do the same as Ticker does

mollyd

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

September 24, 2008
12:07 AM

Post #5590932

Ticker, you said
Quoting: are there growers that will actually guarantee that they will sell you a hosta that won't come down with HVX four years from now?

I think that's a misrepresentation of the problem. The hostas won't 'come down' with the virus in a few years unless they are exposed to it within your garden. In most cases, if you are being careful, it comes with the virus and doesn't show the symptoms for a few years.

I believe that the reputable nurseries which are concerned about HVX ARE doing checks or buying from sources that guarantee virus free plants. I personally feel that the big problem is stock that may come from nurseries which acquired their plants before they were aware of the virus and have then grown them on. The first one I had came from stock that was, most likely, purchased before that variety was considered subject to infection.

The second one tested positive when I sent leaves back to the nursery from which it was purchased. It looked quite healthy when it arrived last year but declined during the season. The nursery indicates that the rest of their stock has tested clean; so it's anyone's guess as to where the virus came from.

I AM worried about other plants which arrived in the same shipment with my two virused plants because they arrived bare root and some of them shared water jugs before I got them planted. I know which ones came in the same shipment, but I don't know which ones were in the same water and might have been cross-contaminated. I know better now and I'm watching all those in the same shipment.

snapple45 - I see you've been on DG for awhile. Have you been active on the Hosta forum? I don't recall seeing many posts from you in the past, but thank you for your contributions to this thread and for the very interesting link above.

Finally, Sylvia, I don't recall where I've read it - maybe on Hallson's list, but there have been tests done to collaborate the results of those test strips and they have proven to be quite accurate.

We are now up over 200 posts on this thread, many of them with pictures. I'm wondering whether Laura would like to start a Part 2 or whether one of us should do so. It's getting to the point where those on dial-up will start to have difficulty.

Ann

Edited because a couple of paragraphs were obviously out of order. I must have scrolled up with the mouse and not gotten back to the right place.

This message was edited Sep 23, 2008 9:53 PM
snapple45
Holland, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 24, 2008
12:35 AM

Post #5591048

My interest in hosta collecting really just got started. I got about 10 new aquisitions in the last two years. Just over this weeked, in a very reputable local nursery, I saw obviously infected stock. Earlier this spring I got a 'Sum and Substance' and a 'Spilt Milk' from this same nursery. It's a bummer to think I could lose the whole kit and kaboodle just when barely getting started. In my Master Gardener continuing ed classes this year we had a presentation about HVX. I'm sorry to say I didn't realize the full impact until I saw those infected hostas at my favorite nursery. They've been in business for well over 25yrs.
So, although I'm usually over in Water Gardening or the Trees, Shrubs and Conifer forums with a smattering of perennials, amaryllis, shade gardening, and pests and diseases I thought I'd see what was being discussed here about HVX. Very interesting.

But I stand firm about my time out. Until I know what I have my self, and until the industry makes some substantive inroads in certifiyng healthy plants, I'm not adding any.
Noreaster
Maine
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 24, 2008
12:56 AM

Post #5591143

Quoting:I think that's a misrepresentation of the problem. The hostas won't 'come down' with the virus in a few years unless they are exposed to it within your garden. In most cases, if you are being careful, it comes with the virus and doesn't show the symptoms for a few years.

Ann, that is what I meant. Not that it will contract the virus while in your garden, but that it comes with the virus and does not exhibit symptoms until years later. For example, in Sandy's case and her 3 and 4 year old plants. So you buy a hosta from a reputable source, practice good sanitation, and 4 years later you've got a hosta that tests positive for HVX.

I feel better about my hosta purchases from Hallsons and Naylor Creek as well, but I guess I still don't feel like those plants are really 100% safe unless they have all been tested at the grower. Perhaps they are now? I don't know enough about their growing process. I know Chris Hallson has posted on his board about his experiences with HVX so I assume that means that even as diligent as he is, he, like the rest of us has aquired sick plants unknowingly on occasion. It's the stealth nature of this virus...unless it is specifically screened out, batch by batch, by whomever supplies them?
allnitro
Waterloo, IA
(Zone 4b)

September 24, 2008
1:08 AM

Post #5591213

They would have tested positive right from the get go.
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 24, 2008
3:30 AM

Post #5591853

Ann, I said: "Great article Snapple. However, I'm still buying Hostas and the growers I buy from guarantee their hostas to be healthy, etc. :) And are proactive on protecting the consumer from HVX and Nematodes. :)" Not what you quoted. :)

And I still believe that. I really think Nematodes are worse than HVX. They are harder to get rid of and they spread a whole lot easier. Now you can have nightmares about Nemies.. :) LOL

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 21, 2009
4:30 PM

Post #6579144

Since many of us are beginning to see new infected plants in our gardens, and since this thread is pretty long, I've started a new one which you will find at http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/991991/

This message was edited May 21, 2009 10:34 PM
50glee
Huntersville, NC

May 24, 2009
6:09 PM

Post #6591452

WOW - Great Info!

Ive been soaking and disinfecting EVERYTHING - including plants!
It is good to see it does not infect from mere light touch . . .

But I put a new hosta in a couple of weeks and it looks just horrible. Can the SOIL be infected??

hostas planted in different locations in my yard are happy and looking well - so far. come to think of it - the new shrub near the sad hosta is looking strange yellow leaf also.

Is / Could something else causing this problem?

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2009
6:24 PM

Post #6591494

How about posting a pic of that unhappy hosta on a different thread (not this one which is for CONFIRMED HVX cases). That way we can all take a look and offer opinions. But if there was an infected hostas which was recently removed, there COULD be a chance of infecting another. Or you could have a problem with nutrients deficiency, or ...
ptilda
Spooner, WI

August 29, 2009
9:36 PM

Post #7002310

Gold Standard in my garden a year ago...

Thumbnail by ptilda

ptilda
Spooner, WI

August 29, 2009
9:37 PM

Post #7002313

And this year, before I destroyed it...

Thumbnail by ptilda

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 29, 2009
9:45 PM

Post #7002344

There has been a new part to this thread since it thread is pretty long. You will find at http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/991991/ Perhaps you'd like to add your pictures on it as well.

Ann

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 10, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9200527

bump

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hostas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Your Favorite Hosta... blonde_elf 117 Nov 16, 2009 7:06 PM
Mania Links pupper 5 May 21, 2007 10:11 PM
Help me choose leslie 10 Jul 16, 2008 10:40 AM
Lovely Loretta jody 55 Jun 23, 2007 11:02 AM
cup hostas handhelpers 11 Aug 25, 2007 7:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America