Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

CLOSED: what kind of butterfly/moth/bug is this?

Saint Petersburg, FL

I FOUND THIS LITTLE CREATURE ON THESE DAISIES...HE WAS THERE FOR ABOUT 1/2 HOUR, DRINKING SOMETHING WITH HIS PROBISCUS OR WHATEVER THEY DRINK WITH???...I HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE LIKE THIS BEFORE...ANYONE?

Thumbnail by MJTDESIGNS
Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Empyreuma affinis looks right to me too. Do you have any oleanders close by?? It is what the host plant is for it

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

trackinsand --
How did you "just happen" to know Empyreuma affinis (Possibly known as the Tiger Moth? what the Spotted Oleander Caterpillar becomes...)?

I'm impressed!
~'spin!~

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i didn't know it exactly. i knew it looked very similar to the "uncle sam moth" which is the oleander caterpillar that i see in florida, so i just did a little searching. here is a link to that one. the one above doesn't have polka-dots. http://images.google.com/images?q=syntomeida+epilais+&hl=en&btnG=Search+Images

Saint Petersburg, FL

THANKS! WE USED TO HAVE OLEANDERS, BUT RIPPED THEM OUT BECAUSE OF AN INFESTATION WITH THE SPOTTED BUG...THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I HAVE SEEN THAT ORANGE ONE...

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

you're very welcome. they are a part of florida and you will see them from time to time on many different plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.