Sad Day

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Our weimaraner died sometime Wed evening. I discovered him when I called the dogs in for breakfast and no one came to the door. I looked out the back porch where they sleep when it's hot, and Mauly (the dobbie) was laying with her head on Jake (Weim) and looking at me with sad eyes. Jake looked like he was sleeping, but he wasn't breathing and he had already stiffened up. I inspected to contusions, swelling, indications of scorpion or rattlesnake bite, but found nothing. He wasn't a spring chicken, but he wasn't old, either - about 8 years old. DS and I wrapped Jake in a sheet and used the tractor to bring him out back behind the apple tree, where he loved chase rabbits and dig up their warrens. DH came home from CA and hand dug the grave, even though the tractor was right there. He then proceded to do every minor chore that there was hanging out on the To Do list. Closest thing to crying I've ever seen him do... This is the 2nd dog we've had to burry in our nearly 20 years of marriage, and I suspect it won't be the last, but it is still so sad. And for some reason, I always get to be the first to know. Buddy died in my arms years ago, and now I get to wake up to find Jake. Mauly spent the other day moping and hanging out around the grave and not eating (this is a girl who, like me, never misses a meal). She's getting back to normal now. DS is loving on Mauly a little extra - she is his dog, and Jake was DH's dog, because, as DS says, "A man's gotta have a dog." So we're looking into a Weim rescue place to find Mauly a new companion and ease our hearts a little.

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

Oh I am so sorry...and he was so young to!!! How sad that it's always you to find them....but it is consoling I would think to find them and KNOW what happened. My Grandparents had a chow...old as could be...who lived on their acreage when they bought it and never left...she stayed outside and was as friendly as could be. Grandma always used to say "Red is so old...I wonder when she'll go?" and then one morning she wasn't around and it was completely unusual for this to happen. Days turned into weeks and the best we can assume is she went to find her own burial spot.....poor Red....

Vegas,NV Filbert, SC(Zone 7b)

Kmom, so sorry to hear about your furbaby. I am so attached to my animals that it takes me awhile to get over the loss of one. Both of my dogs are getting up there in age and I dont even want to think of them not being there for me to trip over. Getting another Weim from a rescue is such a great idea. I know Mauly will enjoy having someone to play with again.

Tir, it has always amazed me how animals always seem to know things. My mother had a dog that just disappeared one day just like your Grandma, a neighbor found him in the trees on his property. Both the neighbor and my father believed that he went there so my mother wouldn't be the one who found him. She would not have handled that to well.

Carat,

That's what I worry about with me letting my 2 cats roam sometimes (both fixed mind you). I HOPE they will love and respect me enough to come home (if they can) so I don't have to fret about what happened to them. Can you believe...my oldest kitty is only 3 and I've often thought of him being gone....he is the most attached to me and has to be SPOONED some nights on my side of the bed!!! And he is the most talkative you'd ever seen I swear! So I am already making sure I never regret not telling him "I love you" to much!

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Pets become a part of your family.. Sorry you had to lose him..

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Guys won't usually admit how much they love their dogs. Here is a story about DH that happened the other night. He calls our dog a "sissy dog" and says he dosen't even like him. But funny, he's always the one with him up in the recliner with him, sharing his snacks, cookies, etc. with him.

It was about 3:00 am and we were sleeping soundly. I heard my husband making a sobbing sound in his sleep. I thought he was having a bad dream so I woke him up. When I asked him what he was dreaming, he said a bear had gotten our little dog and killed him. He dreamed he was laying on the ground just sobbing after seeing the tragic event.

Hmmmm, and he says he dosen't even like our little poodle, sissy dog.
Yeah, right.

All our kids are grown and gone now, so he's our baby. And DH is a man's - man................so who would have thought he'd be so attached to a poodle. Don't know what we'd do if something happened to him........lay on the ground and sob maybe ????????????

Kmom, so sorry to hear about your loved pet. I know it hurts. You're in our thoughts.

You are right about the men and pets. My DH wasn't fond enough to want cats when we married and I convinced him to get one as a companion in our apartment living. He grew on him!!!!

Prophetstown, IL(Zone 5a)

KMom - I am so sorry to hear of the loss in your family. I dread the day our old boys go. I'll be a mess but my DH will be inconsolable - he got his first and only dog at almost age 50.

Catherine

They sure can change a person and bring more joy than almost anything else in the world!

Kmom

My deepest sympathy to you and yours. Any family loss is hard to bear and our pets become so very much a part of our lives.

In many ways, for me, dogs represent love and loyalty, proof that these exist in abundance when everything else seems to let us down.

May Jake rest in peace and you and yours find some comfort.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Karla, I'm so sorry.

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm so sorry! For a large breed, 8 is pretty old. That's a good life. HUGS!

I thought 8 was young? I don't know about the weimerwiner but heard something that the Great Dane are so large their chest cavity is actually to large and their stomach can roll and cause death? I'm no expert...just what I've heard....is the weimerwiner subject to the same thing?

Oakland, OR(Zone 8a)

Yes, I am afraid that all of the large breeds and even some of the smaller breeds are subject to it. What happens is that the stomache turns upside down and if it isn't straightened out by an operation within an hour or so, the intestines start dieing from lack of blood. This is why many vets recommend that larger dogs get fed two small meals rather than one large meal. Dotti

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Kmom, I'm so sorry. I hope you can find a rescue dog to help fill the empty spot, you'd be helping each other. Another possibility for a sudden death would be an anurism. I know of a horse that died that way while his owner was riding him at a walk on an easy trail. The vet said it is a painless way to go and probably would have happened in the pasture if the owner hadn't happened to be riding him at the time.

Thank you, everyone. They are so much a part of the family. My grand daughter (almost 2) is visiting, and Mauly has adopted her as her new puppy. It's funny to see the big ol' girl being so soft and slow moving around the baby. I wonder how they know. But having the baby around has perked everyone up. Life. Death. Joy. Sorrow. Ying. Yang. Guess you can't have one without the other.

Many blessings to you. Karla

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Kmom...I am just reading this. I know it's been a month, and I'm sure your broken hearts are slowly starting to heal. I know how you feel. I had my weimaraner from the time I was 12 until I was 20. He had lime's diseas, which at the time (1990) there was little known about it. My dad took him to have put down while I was at a friend's house. I still think about him everyday, in fact, I named my car after him. His name was Baron. His full name was Audra's silver Baron. For fun, he used to take the toilet paper out of the bathroom and then come and stand in front of me or mom or dad with this look like "catch me if you can". He also didn't like for me to go out on any dates when I turned 17. He growled at every guy that came asking to take me out. .....I think my father taught him to do that.

Remember the memories and good times. If you get a new weimy let me know...I'd like to see piks. My brother has a weimy named Sadie. She's spoiled rotten!

Haven't gotten a new Weim yet, but doing OK. Mauly's still in need of a companion and we hope to have her a new friend before school starts in Sept. DH is thinking Puppies! TWO! I don't think I'm up to that since he is still bound and determined to go back to Iraq and guess who will be raising and training and cleaning up after them then? But puppies ARE so cute!

Noobiegardener, I wouldn't be at all surprised if your Dad taught your Weim to growl at potential boyfriends! My dobbie is a wonderful dog, but she sure isn't as creative or imaginative as the Weims I have met.

Here's a pic of Jake. Somewhere I've got a good picture of him with a rabbit he caught and rabbit blood all over, but probably you don't want to see that! But he was soooo proud of himself that he paraded all around with it. Mauly eventually stole it and ate it. That's our Mauly-girl - ruled by her tummy! :-)

Thumbnail by kmom246
Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

He was beautiful! Reminds me of Baron. I just love their ears!

Thank you. And their ears are so expressive, too. Miss my baby.

Glen Burnie, MD(Zone 7a)

Yeah...whenever Baron was feeling devilish and wanted to start some trouble, both of his ears would be flipped back. I knew he was getting ready to hold one of my stuffed animals hostage. And when he had to go out, he would just stand in front of the television and stare at us until we took him out.

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

((((((((((kmom)))))))

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images