Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

DG Journals and Diaries: Diary

Communities > Forums > DG Journals and Diaries
bookmark
Forum: DG Journals and DiariesReplies: 3, Views: 21
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Don_Mader
Victoria, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2006
7:33 PM

Post #2404967

What's the difference between a journal and a diary at Dave's Garden? Can I keep a journal private and the diary open for viewing? One more question - can I keep some journels private but allow one to be public?

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2006
8:01 PM

Post #2405049

Good questions!

[quote]What's the difference between a journal and a diary at Dave's Garden?[/quote]

A diary is typically used as a "blog" - a place to record thoughts, impressions, notes, etc. about your garden as a whole. You can create multiple diaries - by year, by area, project, etc.

A journal is usually used as a tool to document and chart each plant's progress, whether you're growing from seed or bulb, from cuttings or divisions, etc. Each plant gets its own entry. In fact, once you set up your journal and categories, you can quickly populate it by finding your plants in PlantFiles, then scrolling down to the "Add this plant to my journal" link.

[quote]Can I keep a journal private and the diary open for viewing?[/quote]

Both diaries and journals can be made public or private. You can have some entries in your diary that are private, while others are public.

[quote]One more question - can I keep some journels private but allow one to be public?[/quote]

Yes. Within your journal area, you can have multiple journals, some of which are public and others are private. And you can change the public/private status at any time.
Don_Mader
Victoria, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2006
8:51 PM

Post #2405211

Okay, I figured out to keep a journel(s) private, but can't locate the privacy controls for my diary.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2006
9:39 PM

Post #2405370

I think with the diaries it might be privacy on an entry by entry basis, and if you have at least one entry that's not private then you'll show up in the list of diaries that others can look at (but even if you have some entries that people can see, you can still keep other entries private). When you're in the section to add an entry, there's a checkbox for whether you want it to be private or not. So if you want everything you put in to be private, just check that box each time you make an entry.

Post a reply to this thread:

Your message:

You may upload up to 5 images. Press CTRL to select more than one image file.

Upload Images to your reply

-

Other DG Journals and Diaries Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
    Online journal - getting started Terry 219 Apr 1, 2008 1:12 PM
    Journal "wish list" requests here, please Terry 178 Aug 25, 2014 3:44 PM
    The Garden Diary is ready for testing dave 159 Aug 18, 2008 7:51 PM
    "Watching" a Garden Diary dave 18 Jul 2, 2013 7:36 AM
    Using both the journal and diary barbur 4 Sep 28, 2013 6:57 PM

We recommend Firefox
    Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America