Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Kitchens: As requested on another thread, here's my kitchen re-do

Communities > Forums > Kitchens
bookmark
Forum: KitchensReplies: 53, Views: 1,038
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 19, 2006
8:45 PM

Post #2409266

My house had a flat, "popcorn" ceiling, vinyl floor with cuts galore, scratched white Formica countertops, orange cabinets, one florescent lighting strip, and ancient appliances. My DH allowed me to design everything from scratch since we gutted the room, and this is the result. I tried to do what I call "elemental modern."

Thumbnail by Connie_G
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 19, 2006
8:48 PM

Post #2409279

Here's another wall by the dining table (only dining we have in the house) that is the "wine bar" area.

Thumbnail by Connie_G

Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 19, 2006
8:52 PM

Post #2409295

And this is to the right of the desk you see in the first pic (where I sit and chat with y'all!) ...my "laundry closet." I didn't want to use my square footage in a place that I rarely use! I've never had a huge laundry--even when the kids were little--and have never missed it!

Thumbnail by Connie_G

Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 19, 2006
8:55 PM

Post #2409305

Kitchen from living area -- very open plan

Thumbnail by Connie_G

Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2006
9:12 PM

Post #2409344

Beautiful job Connie! Spectacular :)

How do you like your Wolf stove please?

Dea
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 19, 2006
11:14 PM

Post #2409755

Mine is a Viking, and I like it thus far.

The big-daddy stove was my DH's idea, and I'll have to say if I had requested it, he probably would have been wanting me to cook more often! ha It has 2 ovens, which is one of the best features...the little one is perfect for a cookie tin with 6 of those pre-made, frozen cookies or to warm a loaf of bread. The griddle was also his thing (he laid out the sections of the stove as he wanted them) and he has made eggs and bacon on it one time in a year! Now the grill...I grill steaks there quite frequently...that's a good thing.

Now the bad... the huge fan carries LOTS of grease up to the top, which is filled with little in's and out's...a bugger to clean...and cleaning is not my thing!

To me, it's a focal point of the kitchen, and as such, I consider it as almost a piece of "art" more than an appliance. Now my microwave...that's another story!! ha
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2006
11:33 PM

Post #2432961

Wonderful kitchen, Connie. Love everything about it. Thanks for sharing your pics.
obiwan2112
Alexandria, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 26, 2006
4:50 AM

Post #2434030

WOW! Nice kitchen, Connie! The brick pillar, the island, the lights, and the glass doors on the cabinets really give your kitchen true creativity... Nice work!
Ivy1
Mystic, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 9, 2006
7:42 PM

Post #2604177

Connie- it's beautiful. Very natural and yet stylish.

What is your countertop? If granite, what type? Did you buy your cabinets in that color, or redo existing ones, or make your own? They look hand done, but in the best possible way, very classy.
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2006
12:47 PM

Post #2606695

Thanks, all!

Ivy, the countertops are 1 and 1/4 inch granite. I don't remember the "color" name...sorry. It's a black/brown/reddish brown/cream combo.

The cabinets were made in a shop and brought here. They were made by the same guy who did Sandra Bullock's "fiasco" house (now being town down!) here in Austin!! He's very good but lots of mine had to be redone because they didn't listen to what I wanted! The bottoms are just plain wood, painted black, then distressed. The top cabinets are of antique wood (over 100 years old...from an old Mercantile Bld. from Chicago that was town down and the beams were rescued and cut into planks!). My DH likes things that have a provenance, so our bed, coffee table, kitchen island...etc. are also of reclaimed wood.

Thanks for asking...this house took over 3 years to "rebirth" so it's like my baby!!! :)
Ivy1
Mystic, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 11, 2006
12:04 AM

Post #2608759

I love the look of reclaimed wood. Just can't afford it!

Fiasco House? Do tell. It sounds like the next PBS reality show...
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 11, 2006
1:08 AM

Post #2608972

Ivy...as you probably know...Sandra Bullock loves Austin and now has a house here (as do several other movie stars). She bought a lot on Lake Austin and built. The house had lots of problems before she even moved in (mold from roof leaks, for one!) so she sued. As People mag. said, she won the suit for 7.4 million! The house is now town down and people are waiting to see if she r e-builds on that lot or does something else.
Ivy1
Mystic, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 11, 2006
2:40 PM

Post #2610800

Ahhh, thanks. I do so like to keep up on current events.

I especially like your stone or brick work, I am assuming it was there before the kitchen redo. Also I simply love your tall cabinet to the right of the stove, and the plate rack over the dishwasher. I really like the way your upper cabinets are all different sizes, heights and depths. I can't get anyone here to understand that concept.

You are giving me lots of ideas for my own remodel.
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 11, 2006
11:05 PM

Post #2612429

Ivy...absolutely NOTHING is from the old house...only the foundation and roof! (and the roof will be replaced with a metal one in about 2-3 years when it's worn out!) And about the cabs...just print a pic and show them! Does your kitchen have a tall ceiling or a reg. sized one? If you have height you will have more to work with in terms of different heights for the cabs.

Here is a view of another wall in the kitchen that I didn't post...

Thumbnail by Connie_G

Ivy1
Mystic, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2006
9:24 PM

Post #2615450

We took our ceiling out this winter. It really made the room! Now I can visualize what it will look like when it is done (if it IS ever done).

Oh, golly, that picture is making me drool! I love the roll out baskets too.

We have been to about 10 designers, and they all say the same things. "Oh, you can't have cabinets that extend from the counter up next to the stove. You have to have a space on either side in case you have to set down a pot fast." I keep saying there would be plenty of space in front of the cabs if they were shallower than the rest. They look dumbly at me and can't figure it out.

When you have a clear idea of what you want, it is very hard to get someone around here to try it. They are very conservative here, or maybe they don't want to do extra work? I'm stumped. If they want our business, wouldn't you think they would at least try to make a design? Or they say they understand but then make a design like every other kitchen, with cabs in neat rows all the way across the room.

I am showing my DH your kitchen pics tonight! I think he will flip.
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 12, 2006
9:42 PM

Post #2615519

Ivy...I know just what you mean about "designers." I didn't use one because I'm a designer myself!!
And personally, I have NEVER had to set a pot down next to the stove...why not just leave it where it is until you want to drain it, in which case you move it to the sink!!! Duh!!! :)

The baskets are real easy...they are not roll-outs...just baskets from the discount store here called T.J. Maxx. I had the guys who built the cabs leave the cab. doors off that one section and then measured and looked for the right size for about 2 months until I found them! I use the top one for a tiny "fast trash" container (there's a little liner inside) and I empty it nightly. The other trash is inside the butler's pantry area to the left--through the glass door.

My DH also wanted something unique...thank goodness...so we both were adamant that they do whatever we asked for. Just keep at them!! And thanks for the compliment!

This pic is the kitchen garden that is just outside a pair of doors. I see it from my perch as I'm on the puter playing at DG!! I have basil (both purple and green), rosemary, oregano, and mint this year to start. I might plant more next year.

Thumbnail by Connie_G

Ivy1
Mystic, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2006
9:45 PM

Post #2615529

Oh wow. Something else to dream about. Love the colors!
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 12, 2006
9:48 PM

Post #2615537

Thanks, Ivy. I decided just to do greens, chartreuse, orange (some orangy-red) and purple. I did relent and add a bit of hot pink, but don't plan to use any pastels or white. Maybe some day?
Ivy1
Mystic, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2006
10:38 PM

Post #2615664

I am more and more drawn to hot color- you know, pink and orange, or yellow and pink together. I used to be all pastel, but I got bored. My favorite is and always has been purple and yellow, though.

If you don't mind going back into the kitchen, I can't believe you designed it yourself! It's so well done. I am afraid I will have to do mine myself, since no one is seeing what I want.

How did you pick your builder?
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 12, 2006
10:53 PM

Post #2615702

The builder was recommended by 2 neighbors, but they had each just done small re-do's...not like building an entire house. It was NOT a good experience. If I were you I would PAY MORE up front and get someone good, recommended by people who have done similar scope work, and it will be worth it. We probably wasted LOTS of money because of trusting where we should NOT have. My DH decided to do "cost plus" and that is a HUGE mistake, because when they mess up, it's "Sure we will re-do it" because YOU will have to pay for it, PLUS their profit!!
Ivy1
Mystic, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2006
11:09 PM

Post #2615733

Thanks for the tips. I don't know if we are ever going to get up and running with our renovation. Right now we have no walls (just studs) because DH ripped them out, a linoleum floor from 1962, no upper cabs (also ripped out), and our ceiling is the underside of the roof!

I bought some beautiful 16"x16" ceramic floor tiles online. It was a great experience, actually. Now it seems DH wants to look into wood again, and use the tiles elsewhere. I just want to get the kitchen done! Ah, well.
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 13, 2006
1:14 AM

Post #2616040

Wood is wonderful and feels so good on the feet! We used old wood and sanded, then just had them put clear polyurethane on top. I think you can see a bit of it in one of the pics. It really "warms" up a house with atmosphere. Plus, we have some weird kind of plumbing where the hot water pipes run under most of the wood, (our house is on a rock hill, so it's on pier and beam) so I'm looking forward to the floor feeling good in the winter!

What color/design are your tiles? I love the large 16 x 16 ones...they give such a luxurious scale!
Ivy1
Mystic, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 13, 2006
2:44 PM

Post #2617659

Your floor is beautiful! We noticed it in the pic of the kitchen from the living room angle.

My tiles are from Casa Dolce Casa in the Terra Giallo color. I love them. They look natural and handmade. I love the light undertone in them that makes them look more like French or Italian terra cotta.

Most of the tiles we looked at over the last 2 years have a dark undertone and in our small kitchen they just looked drab. A lot looked too modern for our 1840 cottage. Also, I wanted a lot of color variation so it wouldn't show dirt. The one good thing about my old 1962 lino is that it never shows dirt- it looks dirty all the time! I actually let my daughter paint on it!

Here is a picture of the tile:

http://www.fastfloors.com/lp_17582,0,122757/Casa-Dolce-Casa-Ceramic-Tile/_/Le-Argille-18-x-18-Terra-Gialla/product.htm#NAV
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2006
4:12 PM

Post #2617893

Love your tiles!! I like the color you got then the darker one below it in the picture. Wish i could get those for my kitchen! But my dad says no way. He's too picky sometimes. lol
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 13, 2006
10:22 PM

Post #2618837

Very nice tile, Ivy! I used to have the kitchen motto: Give me white floors; I want to SEE the dirt!" Now, in my "older age" it's "Give me a floor that doesn't show the dirt; what I don't see doesn't make me feel bad!"

In your online searches for your tiles, did you see any real slate, either gauged or un-gauged? I need a HUGE amount for my deck, steps, and pool surround so I need it verrrrry reasonable.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2006
10:39 PM

Post #2618903

Is $1.47 a square foot reasonable? Found that price on builddirect.com
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 13, 2006
10:46 PM

Post #2618933

I think that's very good! The kind we want is from India, I think, and here's a pic of it in my bath...sorry, I should have said what color the first time. I THINK it's called "autumn." There are blacks, golds, beiges, rusts, and greens...oh, and gray.

Thumbnail by Connie_G

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 13, 2006
10:49 PM

Post #2618945

I don't know if they have it but they might be willing to work with you. I would check them out and see what they have to say. Most companies are willing to order the right tile for you. I wish I had slate in my house. But I can't compalin really because I get to clean slate floors where i work. Yours is prettier thou.
LooneyLinda
Mantua, UT
(Zone 4b)

October 5, 2006
1:27 AM

Post #2786750

This thread has made me drool. I need a bib! It might have been a good thing if I had not looked at this. Connie, your house is fabulous!

I wish you could help me design my kitchen, but I'm sure I couldn't afford it. All my taste is in my mouth! As I said on the countertop thread: at least I gave birth to children who have better taste than I do. I am relying on them to keep me from the BIG mistake I made when we built this house in the 70's. Get ready to throw up: I used shiny Walltex with huge black, brown, orange and gold flowers on it. The Formica was bright orange and the carpet was brown. The floor was white, black and orange linoleum. You could have dropped a whole chicken on it and not been able to see it. Oh well, at least I learned a little from my mistake.
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 10, 2006
12:20 AM

Post #2801653

Linda,

I think that color scheme you mention was very "IN" at that time, because my mom did a house in the 70's and her kitchen wallpaper was THICK, shiny vinyl that was brown background with orange and white flowers!! Huge ones!! And the Fornica in this kitchen of mine was white, and the cabinets were orange!! The floor was off-white vinyl that was cracked and stained with blood that ran from the freezer at one time, I guess. It was a nightmare!!

Thanks for the compliments. I just looked at HUNDREDS of magazines. I would go to Barnes and N and just sit with a stack of mags and read thru...buying any I just HAD to have for an idea, since I have not been in the decorating biz for about 15 years.
LooneyLinda
Mantua, UT
(Zone 4b)

October 10, 2006
2:40 PM

Post #2803481

Apparently you don't have to be "in the biz" because you are "in the know"!

Having somewhat limited funds I have to be careful, but having limited "taste" is causing me more trouble than that. My daughters are a lot of help, though. BUT, I think they are getting sick of this project.

Your living room floor looked very interesting next to the wood in the kitchen. What is it?

My cabinets will be knotty hickory--unless I change my mind. The countertop will be Tropical Brown granite (a nice combination of brown and black). I have found some tile that looks good with both of them. I am afraid of wood floors because people and dogs come in from the garage and backyard directly onto the floor and I don't want it ruined. My DH keeps getting rocks stuck in the bottom of his shoes. Eeek! I can't decide on a color for the appliances. I am afraid of stainless steel because of the fingerprints. Black seems a little overpowering in a refrigerator. Shiny black scratches, too. I could get a Satina or "clean steel" refrigerator but I would have to get a stainless stove because Satina can't stand the heat. I can get a clean steel dishwasher in GE, but I haven't heard good reports about its cleaning ability. White would look awful with the granite and the cabinets.

I don't make decisions well.
Ivy1
Mystic, CT
(Zone 6b)

October 10, 2006
6:01 PM

Post #2804087

It sounds to me like you want the stainless look. Have you tried going to the appliance stores and rubbing greasy hands on each model to see if they leave smudges? Maybe you will find a stove that smudges less...it sounds silly but I would try it!

I wanted a dish drawer dishwasher, but I didn't make up my mind until I brought all my large dishes and utensils to the store and loaded it up! My DH woudn't even come in with me, he was too embarassed. The men were all laughing, but the women all nodded and told me they would do the same thing. How else can you find out unless you give these appliances a trial run?

It sounds to me like you are making good decisions. Function first, then go for looks with a healthy dose of practicality.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2006
11:40 PM

Post #2804983

If you decide on not having stainless maybe you can have the appliances, with the exception of the stove, fronted with wood. The it could blend in and be easy to clean. I also happen to agree with you about the black appliances. Considering the colors that are gonna be in there I think the black would be overpowering.
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 11, 2006
12:29 AM

Post #2805144

I have had stainless appliances for several houses and have never had a problem with fingerprints!! ANd...I just have a cleaning lady about once a month...so it's not that I just don't see them! Get stainless!!! It will "date" your house less than some color...stainless is probably here to stay...or for about another 20-30 years from what I see. By then...I don't know a bout you but I'll be close to gone...!! haha

My floor in the living room was already here...Mexican tile...reddish...so I just had the guys strip it and stain it blackish brown...I like the clean look of the reflection...and the contrast to the natural pine floors. I am NOT a floor/clean freak...I mop about once a month...but then I don't have children or dogs..but I do track in a lot of dirt myself from my flower gardens...and pine is a soft floor. BUT...we like the look of the "dents and scratches" since our wood is over 100 years old...with nail holes, etc.

garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

October 11, 2006
2:14 AM

Post #2805529

I have to agree with Connie, my refrigerator and stove are stainless. With 4 pumpkins, who are constantly in the kitchen with their crafts or eating a snack. Fingerprints are easily cleaned with a microfiber cloth, but are not a problem that would freak you out. So if you want stainless, get stainless. Much more inviting than the bathtub white appliances, just my little red cent. ;0)
Ivy1
Mystic, CT
(Zone 6b)

October 11, 2006
6:31 PM

Post #2807610

I agree with these guys. I am not a big fan of white or black. Believe me- my white shows every little print, and I would think that shiny black would show a lot too. As soon as I can I am switching to stainless.
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2006
6:01 AM

Post #2809384

I used to work for a stainless steel fabricator, mostly custom commercial and institutional kitchens all over the place. We used this stuff called Sheila Shine to clean the stainless. After installing plumbing and electrical connections, gas fittings and the rest, it was impossible not to get fingerprints on their nice new stuff, and the clients were invariably freaked out. But it would clean off in seconds with the Sheila Shine. I'm a member here, no financial interest in this stuff, but it works great. I can't tell you where to find it, but the manufacturer has a website.
One tip about good quality stainless steel is it is not magnetic; for some reason the chromium in stainless steel prevents magnetism. So you can bring a little refrigerator magnet in your pocket when you're shopping for appliances and see if it's good quality ss. Less expensive grades will stick to a magnet. Not that you shouldn't buy it, just know what you're getting.
Mike
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 14, 2006
10:06 PM

Post #2817362

Wow..never knew that!~ Thanks!
LooneyLinda
Mantua, UT
(Zone 4b)

October 18, 2006
3:19 AM

Post #2827483

Just noticed all the good suggestions since I posted about trying to choose an appliance color. I agree, black is a bit much. I do like stainless, but being "not a neat freak" I am worried. One of the doctors I work with IS a complete "neat freak" who put stainless in his new kitchen a year ago. He said he would never do it again and he lives alone!

I am leaning toward getting a Satina refrigerator and a stainless steel stove. Actually, the only stainless on the stove is on the door. The top is black. Sears is coming out with a whole new line of appliances in a few days. I'm hoping they have a clean steel option in the dishwashers. Their dishwashers are rated very highly.

I think I'm spending all my kitchen money on house repairs. My refrigerator has a leak somewhere. The furnace in the new part of the house doesn't work and no one can come to look at it until Monday AND, the main water line from the meter to our house is leaking at a rate of 4 gallons a minute so part of our basement is flooded!!!!!!!
We had to shut of the water and run a hose from our neighbor's house to supply us with water until someone can come on MONDAY with a backhoe and dig down to the bottom of the foundation to see where the leak is. I'm so excited I can hardly wait!!!! That means they will be digging out some of the pavers we paid a fortune for and they will be messing up all the wonderful dirt we put in the flower beds. Maybe I'll have to keep the old white appliances. LOL!

For a cheap, yet fun night out, DH and I are going to an appliance store with a magnet to see what's good and what ain't so good.
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 18, 2006
4:41 AM

Post #2827659

I've heard of some people stripping their refrigerators and coming up with a steel, industrial look! You might want to Google it...I read it in a mag somewhere...perhaps this past summer.

About dishwashers...if your kitchen is the center of your house, as mine is, you might want to consider a Bosch. It's absolutely quiet...no noise at all!!! I do think it's expensive, but well worth it, if you don't want to hear sloshing noises while you linger over coffee and dessert or while the kids get homework on the kitchen table! :)
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

October 18, 2006
12:43 PM

Post #2828085

Linda, are any of those things under warranty? Surely they will return the yard as close as possible to the way they found It. Except for messy dirt all over the place and a few bulbs and flowers thrown about for good measure. BUT certainly NO broken pavers! LOL! .. Truly hope all is resolved soon and you can complete that dream kitchen and have us all over for coffee and feshly baked pastries. Life is really like a garden, as soon as the flowers look good the way you want, some dreadful weed or volunteer tree tries to take over!! ;0)
Ivy1
Mystic, CT
(Zone 6b)

October 18, 2006
11:18 PM

Post #2829750

Isn't that the truth!! Good luck with your leak... hope they find it quick!
LooneyLinda
Mantua, UT
(Zone 4b)

October 20, 2006
9:17 PM

Post #2835951

You really won't believe the rest of this. The day after I posted that I got up to a very COLD house. The NEW furnace under the old part of the house wasn't working. I thought it had to do with the water in that part of the basement. I called the heating company frantically so they sent someone out that afternoon. The old furnace cost $153.93 to fix. The new one only needed an adjustment and it was under warranty. The repairman said it had nothing to do with the water in the basement. The refrigerator repairman is someone I have known for 30 years so I told him to just come in to my empty house today while I was at work. I left a check for him on the counter that he was to fill out and leave me a receipt. He called me at the emergency room to tell me that he oiled the door on the dishwasher so it shouldn't get stuck anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't imagine what he was talking about. I asked him about the refrigerator. He hadn't looked at it. He got us mixed up with another customer. LOL! LOL! Talk about a Senior Moment.

We are going to contact our insurance company about the leak in the water line and the flooded basement. BUT a few years ago we were told by an insurance company that they would drop us or increase our rates if we sent in a claim--it was a legitimate claim, but we didn't send it in. So-----I don't know what this new company will do.

I must need to learn patience!!!
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

October 20, 2006
9:36 PM

Post #2836012

Learn patience or hire a better insurance agent. LOL! ;0)
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 21, 2006
6:05 PM

Post #2838051

If an agent told you that, you should report him to his superiors AND your state regulatory agent. YOu know...the older I get, the more I can "think on my feet," which--to me--means go ahead and say what you're thinking!!! :) When someone tells me things like that now, I just go ahead and say what I feel...and I think I'd look the guy right in the eyes and say, "YOu can't possibly be saying that, can you?" We all know it DOES happen that you get dropped with too many claims, but ONE CLAIM???
Ivy1
Mystic, CT
(Zone 6b)

October 21, 2006
11:17 PM

Post #2838682

That's just ridiculous, bullying a client like that!
clutterjunky
Arlington, MA

November 17, 2006
9:23 AM

Post #2921398

Hi Connie W,

I am new to this website so I came across the photos of your new kitchen! It looks nice...don't know what your old kitchen looked like but I can imagine. My kitchen is semi country which I hate. I don't really like anything country. I don't believe your kitchen is anything country, right? But I like the way it looks. I was really impressed with the back splash (behind the stove area). I do know some of the lingo by watching all those home decorating shows, etc...LOL!

Before I married my husband, he had the kitchen counter redone (nothing fancy, had to save money). The wall paper he had put up is vegetables or fruit (don't even pay much attention)...any how...country look. It does go with the counter tops though. I guess my husband did pretty good with remodeling the kitchen cause I don't think the last owner had very good taste...blah!

The only good thing I like about our kitchen is it's size. It's pretty large for a small house.
I love looking at different kitchen styles...hope you are enjoying your new kitchen!

How long did the whole kitchen redo take...months?

Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 19, 2006
11:08 PM

Post #2928592

Clutter,

Thanks so much! I like to call the kitchen (and the entire house) "elemental modern" as it's modern with lots of natural elements like wood, slate, iron, etc. And no, I don't care for country either! The sink is very old-design European...and the marking inside it says "Since 1897."

I hate to tell you this, but the entire house remodel took about 2 years!! I moved out and into an apt. for 13 months..and then it still was not finished! The problem was a young buider who hired a lot of incompetant workers. Some units in the kitchen had to be redone 2 times!! They just could NOT follow instructions, and I'm a teacher so I WROTE it all down, thank God!!

You are sweet to "understand" your new hubby's house and his prior decorating efforts! I was lucky that mine (I've been married 4 years this time) had very good taste, but when we changed to mostly modern, we had to get rid (gave it to our children!) of a lot of traditional things.

Just wait for the right time, and then ask sweetly for a "newly decorated kitchen" OR just do one thing at a time. Ask to remove the wallpaper and either replace it with more OR texture the rock and paint. Then add granite. To me, the more important things in a kitchen are the floor (no vinyl if you can help it), the counter tops, and the appliances. The other things are pretty simple to update.

Good luck!!

Connie
Kitchen_Sinks
Atlanta, GA

May 27, 2007
2:02 PM

Post #3541018

The kitchen is awesome! I love it.
tanglin
california
United States

May 28, 2007
2:02 PM

Post #3544560

What a gorgeous kitchen! The 2-year wait was worth it.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

May 29, 2007
6:02 PM

Post #3549215

Connie, if you are still following this thread, love your ideas.
Now if you feel the need, might need some designing around here. So far I haven't come across a house with any potential. Most older houses, over 20 years, were cookie cutter plans. 8 x 10 kitchen, small dining room, then on to living room. They are usually in a row!

I will be building cabinets for a new house. Both of the couple are engineers, but no imagination went into their plan. Kitchen is 10 x 12, cabinets on both sides & open on both ends.

We did a little better with our own kitchen. Here is the best feature.
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2007
5:20 AM

Post #3568393

Bernie...
I love yo ur cosy corner! My sink is also in a window corner and it almost makes washing dishes okay! ha

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 3, 2007
5:23 AM

Post #3568403

Looking out the left window, you see the corner of our rock garden. The other looks out over our veggie garden.
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 3, 2007
5:32 AM

Post #3568433

I thought you meant I could see it from the pic, so I enlarged it...hahaha
Well, my view is not as good...just the driveway and my neighbor's garage!!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Kitchens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
If you were replacing a countertop, what would you choose? LooneyLinda 199 Sep 4, 2014 7:05 AM
anyone use Sears to reface cabinets? ssdogwood 15 Aug 3, 2007 10:21 PM
Our kitchen is done ! CountryGardens 24 Oct 13, 2007 3:12 PM
Stainless Steel Appliances - Any suggestions?? azrobin 18 Jun 3, 2010 3:55 PM
Ikea? MitchF 11 Nov 14, 2013 8:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America