Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Garden Pests and Diseases: Who's been munching the marigolds and dianthus?

Communities > Forums > Garden Pests and Diseases
bookmark
Forum: Garden Pests and DiseasesReplies: 3, Views: 7
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bbinnj
West Orange, NJ
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2006
9:13 PM

Post #2409346

OK, what kind of critter munches off the flowering heads of marigolds and dianthus? And sometimes leave the flowers behind? I don't see any rabbit spoor, I see only casual digging (as in no warrens being made) near the victims. I work all day, so can't keep an eye out for neighborhood cats, but these plants are in a very open spot; usually cats want more privacy.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 20, 2006
1:20 AM

Post #2410226

Snails and slugs most likely if its stem damage. I have a theory that they don't eat the flowers because of the pyritheroids (sp) which is used in insecticides. Go out their at night with a flashlight and take a peek!

X
bluelytes
Olympia, WA
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2006
8:29 AM

Post #2411310

XERA,
Well, flashlight and a SALT SHAKER, lol

Best;
bluelytes
bbinnj
West Orange, NJ
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2006
11:44 PM

Post #2413844

Flowers only, no stem damage. Really neatly munched off where flower meets calyx. These are several inches tall. Too tall for snails/slugs?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Pests and Diseases Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hollyhock Rust ??? snuggles 8 Feb 25, 2008 1:41 PM
Pests: Calling all slug experts! (Not for the faint of heart) candleberry 162 Jun 18, 2014 7:41 AM
PROOF that milk kills mildew Wintermoor 26 Jun 26, 2007 4:54 PM
These ants are a bane Dinu 18 Nov 13, 2007 5:18 PM
Getting rid of yellow jackets ButterflyGardnr 23 Jun 18, 2009 2:34 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America