Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Carolina Gardening: Fire Ants

Communities > Forums > Carolina Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Carolina GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 57
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
scbs471
Jackson, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2006
7:16 PM

Post #2413009

Always looking for tips on how to reduce my fire ant population without going bankrupt. Any one have suggestions or found somthing that really works longterm?

I read that ants will not cross over "ground cinnamon". I have been trying this for the past two weeks, keeping a line of cinnamon around my little pond and my grandson's sandbox, and it seems to be working. Wish this was a solution for my full 2 1/2 acres.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 21, 2006
1:47 PM

Post #2415713

Don't waste your money on that stuff that says it works all season .. it doesn't. The way i got rid of mine was staying on top of them for 2 months. I'd dump spectracied on the hills every time i saw them. It took many weeks but i finally got them all .. you have to walk the area every day.

X
Fleurs
Columbia, SC

June 21, 2006
4:51 PM

Post #2416470

After several years of applying Orthene directly to ant mounds, we switched last year to a product called Over and Out which is applied with a spreader. Last summer and so far this year we haven't had any ant mounds, except for a few in the garden beds where the Over and Out was not applied. Orthene on individual mounds works to extinguish the mounds, but the ants simply move to another spot, and Orthene is expensive when used this way. Over and Out is about $25, but in my opinion, well worth it.
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2006
1:09 PM

Post #2488646

I recently read this easy remedy for fire ants...

Get a shovel and take some dirt from fire ant mound "A", then with another shovel, take some dirt from a different fire ant mound "B". Take the shovel of dirt from mound "A" and pour it on mound "B". Then take the shovel of dirt from mound "B" and pour it on mound "A". In a matter of days both fire ant mound will be vacant.

For the life of me, I can't remember where it was that I read this, but I do remember that it was a reputable source. It's not going to get any easier or more "natural" than this, so give it a try and let us know if it worked and how long it took before the mounds were vacant.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

CARAT

CARAT
Vegas,NV Filbert, SC
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2006
3:20 AM

Post #2529492

Glenda,
I tried this method for the past month and I really didn't notice a decrease in the amount of ant hills or ants. I did purchase a generic granular ant killing chemical from Lowes and it really helped in stopping the thousand of ants eating away on the Rose of Sharon bushes but I don't think I could or would want to try and do my entire property.
Glenda_Michigan
Fowlerville, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2006
5:27 PM

Post #2531273

Carat,
Thanks for letting me know. How disappointing. I (think) I read to do that on Mother Earth News or one of their links... What a bummer. That would have been such an easy method. Well, I'm really sorry it didn't work for you.
When my sister lived in Florida, she had a pest control service that would come to her house regularly and spray her lawn for fire ants. I do not know what chemical they used, but her children were able to go outside and play in the yard. Maybe a Florida pest control company would tell you what they use, or maybe your county extension office might be able to help you.
Good luck & be careful fighting those little devils!
Glenda

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America