-
AuthorContent
Schmetterling
Louisville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2001
7:13 PM

Post #8825

I found these out in a field at my mom's the other day along with some butterfly weed. I would like to know what they are to see if they are perenial or grown from seed. The resemble a tiny petunia, but the leaves are similar to a primrose.

Thumbnail by Schmetterling
Click the image for an enlarged view.

eyesoftexas
Toadsuck, TX
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2001
9:03 PM

Post #96800

Mexican Petunia? How tall were they, and are the leaves glossy?
Baa

July 19, 2001
9:20 PM

Post #96804

It does look like a Ruellia, possibly R. brittoniana

http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/FLORA/tfp/ruel1b.jpg

Sorry just to add, Ruellia is the botanical name for mexican petunia

This message was edited Thursday, Jul 19th 5:22 PM
Schmetterling
Louisville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2001
2:16 PM

Post #97671

The leaves are not glosst, they are a medium green with tiny hairs all over the oval shaped leaves. The leaves are exactly like what is on my evening primrose leaves. The blossoms have spotting one their thoats. They spread across about 6-8 inches and are no more than 3-4 inches high. Thanks for your help.
Schmetterling
Louisville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2001
2:21 PM

Post #97675

Nope, I dont think it is a Mezican Petunia, they grow verticly, this thing spreads, like a wave petunia, and the leaves aren't shaped the same.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2001
4:08 PM

Post #97753

Ruellia humilis, perhaps? Also known as Fringe-Leaf Petunia, Low Ruellia, and Wild Petunia. Here's a link with a picture and a bit of information on them: http://www.toadshade.com/RuelliHu.html

It's funny you posted this - I found the same plants growing in my neighbor's cow pasture, right behind my compost pile. Since I have permission to access his property for manure and other gardening delights, I slipped over the fence and dug up a few, much to the cows' chagrin, to start in my own garden.

I was trying to figure out what they were (I also had the same thought that they were some sort of evening primrose), when I saw your post, and started searching for Ruellia species that might fit the description.

luvublooms

July 22, 2001
2:33 AM

Post #98076

Might be a Mexican Petunia.I was given some of the tall ones.But bought some more dwarfy ones for a friend that have a wider leaf spread.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America