Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

CLOSED: Mystery Caterpillars

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I found these growing on my soloman's seal. They remind me of zebra longwing but the color's wrong and so is the host plant...

Thumbnail by CaptMicha
Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

They were a bright orange, they look translucent here b/c I was shooting towards the sky.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

looks like some kind of sawfly to me.

Lake Forest, CA(Zone 10a)

Don't sawflies make smaller round holes?

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

I agree with trackin.
http://www.bluewisteria.co.uk/bluewisteria.html?pest/sawfly.html

Here's a great site, full of sawfly photos....
http://bugguide.net/index.php?q=search&keys=sawfly&search=Search

This message was edited Jun 23, 2006 12:10 AM

Lake Forest, CA(Zone 10a)

Yikes! I think you guys are right! Great link ceejay!

I have sawflys on my roses right now. I guess I caught them before they started chewing bigger holes.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

some sawflys skeletonize the whole leaf, others chew holes.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Ugh! I thought they might be something special... How do you distinguish between lepidotera larvae and sawfly larvae?

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

ceejay would be better qualified to answer that question, but these guys always seem a little translucent to me and dotted and they have those little black noses, although i'm sure some may not have.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh gosh. They just look like sawflies. There are some borers that look similar, but they are inside the plant. Those heads, and the shape of the bodies.... I suppose if you want to get real technical, lepidoptera have 3 to 5 pairs of prolegs, and sawflies have 6 to 8, but I sure couldn't see them in the photo! LOL
Many sawflies have a peculiar defensive posture: they'll arch their rear end in an attempt to scare the predator away. Many also feed in groups. That's sort of a clue too....for in the future.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.