-
AuthorContent
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 23, 2006
1:49 AM

Post #2422294

Suppose it was a poor choice, but my off white brick "no-wax" vinyl has many stains that I can't get off. Some of the worst are from the printing on plastic grocery sacks that got damp and bled onto the floor. I was thinking about touching up the floor here and there with some off white paint spatters. Any suggestions?
Sharon
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2006
2:09 AM

Post #2422422

Have you tried Mr. Clean Magic Eraser? It is good at getting out stuff like that, not sure if it's good for the no-wax finish though, might check the directions on the package first. Or you could try some solvent type things like alcohol or nail polish remover (the kind with acetone in it would probably work better). Again, not sure if these might dull the finish on the vinyl a bit.
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 23, 2006
11:40 AM

Post #2423332

I've tried a lot of things, and the finish is no longer shiny, so that isn't a problem! I will check out the magic eraser, thanks.
shirleyt
Pearl River, LA

August 5, 2006
3:58 PM

Post #2589393

Before you give up try WD-40 that will take even tar off your car and paint off your hands...surely it will handle your job... try it ...it will not hurt anything...shirleyt
Ivy1
Mystic, CT
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2006
7:23 PM

Post #2700943

When I was at work, one of the ladies I used to talk to cleaned houses for a living. She told me that she used the stuff for cleaning tires ( I forget the name) or automotive cleaner for really difficult stains. Just do a patch test first- I haven't tried it except on 50 year old linoleum.
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

September 8, 2006
1:06 PM

Post #2702987

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I have been using rubber backed rugs to cover the worst of the spots, and discovered that they are leaving discolored vinyl underneath. So I will try those products on that also. I wondered about painting it also, maybe in some creative fashion, and received the advice: don't do it. But I haven't totally given up on the idea, and am thinking of trying porch and floor enamel, which is supposed to be especially hard. Maybe I will do a multicolor faux-tile "rug" in front of the sink...
Windy
Belleville , IL
(Zone 6b)

December 18, 2006
2:43 PM

Post #3008395

Why not just use some self stick tiles and redo the kitchen. It isn't that expensive and not that hard to do a good job.
crowellli
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2006
2:48 PM

Post #3008403

I can tell you from experience that the spots left from the rubber backed rugs won't come out no matter what you do. I found that out the hard way. I have done as Windy suggested and replaced with the peel and stick tiles. It's easy to do and very inexpensive. You can sometimes find discontinued patterns at Lowe's or Home Depot for as little as 19 cents a square. I also use them in the cabinet under my sink instead of shelf paper. They hold up better and are easy to wipe clean.
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

December 22, 2006
12:23 PM

Post #3018465

Hmmm...Could I just stick the tiles on top of the present flooring? We did have new plywood laid to level the floor before the linoleum.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

December 22, 2006
1:48 PM

Post #3018663

If the present surface is firmly attached to the plywood it should work. Just be sure to clean ALL oil and solvents first. The self stick tiles need to have a clean surface to stay attached. Any dirt, oil, powder, dust, etc. will cause premature failure. I've used this type of tile, and worked a small area at a time. Cleaned the entire floor, then re-cleaned enough for 4-6 tiles at a time. Amazed how much airborne debris could be redeposited in 15 minutes or less.
BackyardZoo
Poquoson, VA
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2006
1:56 PM

Post #3018686

Yes, you can - they stick better, however, if you rough up the old stuff first - give something other than the smooth vinyl top for the glue to stick to. And 'self-adhesive' or not, I'd buy some extra mastic and supplement. I haven't been too impressed with the durability of the glue on those self-adhesives. They always seem to pop back up after a year or so. You could also lay new sheet vinyl over the old, which I would suggest as an alternative. Depending on the size of the room, you can buy pre-cut 'scraps' and Lowes & HD that aren't much, if any, more expensive than the tiles - and would last longer.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Repairs and Maintenance Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to Home Repairs & Maintenance Terry 17 Jul 14, 2011 1:42 AM
hiring help roxroe 16 Mar 27, 2007 9:04 AM
I hated trimming the grass along the fence jleec 15 Jun 6, 2011 6:47 AM
Hi! I'm new but have 2 questions Illoquin 7 Apr 5, 2007 6:48 PM
Eeek... mice! dreamingofeden 10 Mar 15, 2009 10:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America