Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Saving Seeds: How to collect delphinium seed?

Communities > Forums > Saving Seeds
bookmark
Forum: Saving SeedsReplies: 6, Views: 131
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA
(Zone 6b)

June 23, 2006
3:37 AM

Post #2422798

Can someone tell me how to collect seeds from my delphiniums? I cut off the dead flowers. Now do I have to let them dry out or did I already mess up?
Thanks,
Sherry
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 2, 2006
3:16 PM

Post #2458005

I think you might have cut too soon:) I let mine go until they were pretty dried out. The seed pods formed at the base of the flower and turned light brown/tan. Then I popped them open over a paper plate and let them dry a bit on top of the fridge or tv.
Were there any seed pods at the base of the flowers or were the flowers still pretty intact?

I hope you were able to get some seeds from them. I've done the same thing and jumped the gun trying to get some seeds before they had fully formed. Next year, let them go a little longer and check them daily because when they're ready to open it happens fast and then they're gone:LOL:

Sorry if I answered too late...I'm not any kind of pro at the seed saving so I was waiting for one of the more experienced members to try to help you.

Was it a mix of delphinium colors or a particular one that you were trying to save seed from?

Donna
Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA
(Zone 6b)

July 7, 2006
10:00 PM

Post #2479652

Donna,
Don't want to look like an idiot here, but do these look like the seeds? Can I plant them now or what the heck do I have to do with them? I've never collected or planted seed so any help is appreciated. I figure if I can learn how to plant by seed I will be saving a fortune! LOL
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA
(Zone 6b)

July 7, 2006
10:16 PM

Post #2479717

Donna,
Here is a photo of the delphinium I'm saving seed from. Sorry I can't find a better photo right now.
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 7, 2006
10:26 PM

Post #2479761

That's them! = ) I think delphiniums are perennial. I looked at Plantfiles and all of them said perennial. There were different ways to propogate them for different varieties so I'm not sure what might be most sucessful for you.
1. Delphinium dwf-Blue Butterflies-sow in spring indoors before last frost.
2. Delphinium (like the tall blue spire type)- divide plants in fall or take cuttings and root them.
3. Delphinium Connecticut Yankees- sow seed in the fall.
I bet if you go to Plant Files and search for delphinium and choose entries with images you can see which ones most resemble the ones you got the seeds from and go from there.
Just store them in a cool dry place. I let mine get good and dry, then use tiny ziplock bags I get a the craft store or at WalMart in the craft dept. I've even used the little ziplock snack sized bags or folded them in notebook paper and put them in a letter envelope.

Also, check out the wintersowing forum--I'm going to try it this year because I have terrible luck and timing with spring sown seeds in the house. If I can direct sow them I do much better, but it limits what I can grow.
I know what you mean about saving money with the seed collecting! I used to get so excited everytime I managed to fill another little baggie! I was even collecting moss rose/Portulaca seeds! Those things are like dust! Must have been nuts:) Super easy seeds to get are from larkspur, marigolds, cosmos, plume type celosia, nasturtiums, 4 o'clocks, lemon balm (careful it seeds everywhere!), black eyed susan vine, petunias, calendula and batchelor buttons. I've even gotten some seed from snapdragons and dianthus.
Hope this helped you out some, good luck:)

Donna

OK, I want some:) That is my absolute favorite color of blue!

This message was edited Jul 7, 2006 6:27 PM
pepsidrinker
La Salle, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 10, 2006
9:56 AM

Post #2488321

Hi Sherrygirl, I am rather new to all this, but I found this site really, really helpful. http://theseedsite.co.uk/ I came across this site in one of the other post, I just love DG.
So much info and so many ppl willing to help. :o) I hope the site is helpful to you too.

Connie
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2006
6:25 PM

Post #2497741

Just wanted to say that I let my Delpis go to seed last year and collected them. I must have had over 10,000 seeds. I winter sowed them and it was a huge success. I put mine out around mid Jan. in last season's used Miracle Gro soil. I think every seed sprouted. I'm not positive, but I think Delphis need a cold treatment before they will germinate. I've had enough plants that I've been able to trade and give them away. I'm doing it again this year and I still have seeds left from last year.

Good luck!
Heather

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America