I Just got a CPAP machine

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

I had a sleep study done last week, that showed I had severe sleep apnea. Yesterday I got my CPAP machine, I was excited, and anxious for bedtime to come so I could try it. I did spend most of the night during my sleep study with a CPAP machine on, so I knew what to expect, but I really didn't expect to wake up as much as I did last night. How long does it take to get used to sleeping with the mask on. It's not uncomfortable, just different. During the study I didn't have the humidity added, that seems like it will take some time to get adjusted right, everything inside the mask was wet. Is it really helpful to have the humidity feature turned on, it seems like it would be less annoying with it off?
Just interested in hearing others experiences, I'm really looking forward to days when I am not exhausted when I get up in the morning!!
Deb

Sumner, WA(Zone 8a)

Deb, my mom's been using a CPAP for years to help with her apnea. I could dmail you her email address if you'd like to ask her questions; she's generally very helpful.
-Tif :-)

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Tif, if she wouldn't mind that would be great. I'm slowly getting used to it. I did turn the humidity thing way down (they told me to put it at the highest setting at first!) and it's better. I still wake up several times a night, the hose seems to get tangled, or if I roll over, the mask shifts a bit so it leaks. I really do feel better in the mornings though!
Deb

Denver, CO(Zone 6a)

My husband got one four years ago and I LOVE IT. I no longer think about smothering him! LOL. If something breaks I am like "YOU HAVE to get it fixed NOW!"

When he first got it, his personality changed overnight. I could actually talk to him in the morning (he was a BEAR before). He feels so much better.

Silver Lake, OH(Zone 5b)

If the air in your house is relatively moist, you can turn off the moisture. But in winter, when all is closed up, you should use the moisture because the dry air pumping into your body all the time can cause you to have dry skin inside your nose which is PAINFUL.

Test it out and see what works for you.

It took my hubby very little time to get used to it... because when he could sleep undisturbed, he went right to sleep and stayed asleep!!

Keep trying. In a couple weeks you will be like Lani (ponditis) who says they'll have to pry it from her hands !

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

momcat . . .so how are your doing almost a year and a half later?

I was on a CPAP last night for the first time. I knew when I woke up during the night it would change my life. Today is the first time I've felt rested in at least five years, probably more. Now I have to wait two to three weeks to get a machine and I don't want to go to sleep until its here. Now that, even after one day, I look back and know what its like to feel normal, I can see all the things sleep apnea made extremely difficult and how I had to adjust my entire life to cope (being self-employed for instance!).

Planted a large garden this summer but it was an enormous struggle. Been reading comment after comment on Dave's from people who said they couldn't wait to work in their garden. Well, I could wait. Even wanting and enjoying what I planted so much , I had to drag myself outside to do it. And many days I didn't. I bet I did less than a fifth of the work I could do without breaking a sweat if I didn't have sleep apnea. But it still came out great. Gave a lot of people free produce and tons of flowers. Now I can't wait until next spring when I have a machine and will wake up not feeling as if people had been beating me with clubs all night.

Mobi....I could see that personality change you write of this morning. For years I've had two personalities--one I had to repress. I think the great majority of people are generally pleasant. I think I am. But when you are totatlly exhausted (but don't really know how exhaust or why you are exhausted) the normal frustrations and irritations of life and even conversation become difficult to handle.

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

I absolutely loved my cpap machine once I got used to it. It really didn't take too long, and what a difference!! Wouldn't be without it now!! Good luck with yours. Too bad you have to wait to get it. My pulmonologist had a stock of them on hand, and at my appointment after the sleep study, I was fitted with a mask and given a machine to take home.

Good luck with yours. Keep us posted on how it is working out for you.

Deb

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the quick answer Deb. Read it last night, was going to reply and then....had to sleep. The glow of one night on the machine lasted most of the day but now I'm back to my abnormal normality. But that's OK. I will get a C-PAP in a few weeks.

Glad to hear it worked so well for you. Haven't seen many negative reports. The worst seem to be people who simply get tired of using them.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

My husband has been on CPAP machine for 6 months. It took him about a week to get used to it, the doctor gave him a very mild sleeping pill for the first 2 nights, I really think that helped. He is so much better, has energy to the point that it drives me nuts because he doesn't sit down. He's 52 and is so much nicer now, his humor has returned, this is the man I fell in love with. It took me longer to get used to the new noise, hissing and a bit of a whine noise. I've finally stopped sleeping with one ear open to smack him when he stopped breathing or rollling him over because his snoring was sucking the curtains off the windows. His test showed 42 stops an hour and they only counted stops that were at least 10 seconds or more. He carries it everywhere we travel, and is considering a battery back up. Only took him about 5 years to finally go, too.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Anyone know why this apnea comes on later in life? DH is scheduled for a test but its' a month away.. grrrr.

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

podster...muscles which hold the airways open get weak I believe.

I know I've had mine for a decade at least (began in my early 40s) but the last two years have been...rough.

You have something to look forward to. If they think he has it, he probably does.

If someone has to have something, sleep apnea isn't a bad thing to have. Treatment is non-invasive, has virtually no side effects and improvement is just about instantaneous.

Weakened muscles would make sense... The past seven years have seen many health related problems. I am curious ~ no meds necessary with this treatment? I hope...

I don't know if they think he has it but I do. He snores constantly except for when he doesn't breath at all, interspersed with muttering unintelligibly. When he is up, he is asleep. He eats breakfast, sits down and falls asleep. When we get home from work, he'll doze off before dinner. I wake him to eat so he can go back to sleep till I wake him to go to bed. It is different... and I do hope that will be the answer. Unfortunately, the test is a month away. GRRRRrrrrr!

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

My brother got his about two years ago.He is a different man. Upbeat, full of energy and much more relaxed about things that used to really make him angry. He practically goes around preaching the merits. He just turned 59. According to him the adjustment period was a little unsettling but well worth it. Hang in there podster.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Now the BIG question. WHY didn't he listen to me for the last five years when I was telling him he quit breathing all the time at night??

BTW, he had a bit of a problem with the straps rubbing on his bald head. I bought stretchy fabric sweat bands/head bands that he wears under the strap that goes over his forehead.

Bald ~ we got too much hair. How will this gadget work with a beard I wonder...

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

cathy4...its a guy thing . We'll tough it out. Trouble sleeping? Everyone has that. No big deal. We are very good when we see someone with a mangled leg lying at the bottom of a ravine. Not so great with those health problems which cannot be seen.

podster...I received several speeches from the doctors that there may be underlying problems he and she can't find right now and that I may not adjust right off to the machine. Seems to be a standard speech, one based, I'm sure, on CPAP not solving all problems for all people.

But if your husband is not breathing at night...that isn't good and has to be addressed. When my doctor told me I stopped breathing ten times during the test (once every 28 minutes) and I asked, "How many times is normal?" he gave me a stunned look. None is normal. Any cessation of breathing is bad. Very bad. Which means, when normal breathing is restored, and the machine will do that, there will be an improvement.

(shows how clearly I've been thinking and how used to being miserable I had become that I would even think its normal for someone not to breathe.....lol)

As I mentioned above, I'm waiting too. Its harder because after one night, just 6 hours on the machine, I know how much better I would feel if I had it.

podster...forget to mention other issues. I had them. In fact, the apnea was discovered when I was hosptialized with liver failure. The tests were about as bad as they can be. They were talking transplant...yikes! Somehow I got all the tests back to normal in three months. It was a miracle. Doctor said he had seen that happen but the way he said it I knew it doesn't happen often. At that time, I didn't connect the two (the connection is very iffy and being studied right now--there are only 4 papers on it and no conclusions). Thought when I got over not having liver function, I would be fine. But I wasn't. Lucky for me a doc insisted on a sleep test.

This message was edited Oct 16, 2007 12:37 AM

Yes and I have wondered about some of the meds causing this additional problem. I have an aversion to meds as they have caused many other side effects. That is why I asked no meds? Your liver difficulty presents a full set of meds problems as does DHs kidney problems. Have to be very careful as the different organs filter different drugs out of the system. Glad you are doing remarkably better and will hope it continues to improve with the CPAP! Thanks for the info.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

I have a computer geek for a DH (who has been using a CPAP for about 2 years, thank heavens) so he gets all the med-line articles related to CPAPs.

They're now saying that they have a great effect on blood glucose over the long term - so diabetics and pre-diabetics, strap 'em on! There was something else, too, but I can't remember it right now.

P.S. for you spouses who have been enduring the snoring, jerking and mumbling, I've also found that the masks lose their contact fairly quickly (IMO)- like after 3 months. If you start waking up again to whistling or other noises, it's time for a new mask.

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

I got my CPAP about 3 years ago and don't even know it's on. I can't imagine being without it.

Pagancat, could the other thing you were thinking of be heart trouble? My apnea was originally tagged by a cardiologist after I thought I might have had a mild heart attack. It turned out to be addrenaline brought on by getting out of bed too quickly to see to the baby. She said apnea was a huge threat to the heart, though, as it puts so much strain on it.

Leslie

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

LaLambchop...I've had mine for a week and can't imagine being without it either. Having a CPAP machine has been a life changing event. It is an astounding treatment. A week ago Friday, I had to force myself to do the most mundane things as I had to do for years and years. The next morning, I felt good and feel good everyday. I didn't think I would ever feel good again.

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Hi David_Paul,

I'm so glad it's working well for you. I just woke up and was again thankful for mine. My dad wasn't able to get adjusted to the mask and told me it wasn't worth the effort. I haven't been able to get him to try it again.

Have a super day!

Leslie

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

LA...Been reading that is a not uncommon problem. You might show your dad this:

http://www.revolutionhealth.com/blogs/stevepocetamd/using-cpap-can-take-s-8924

I haven't had any problem adjusting to the machine but then I let it go way too far. If symptoms were not all that incapacitating I can see how a person would find the mask uncomfortable. For me, as soon as I put it on I feel relaxed. It's a big "whew"...tonight is going to be just fine.

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Thanks! I just e-mailed that to my dad.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

David Paul..........talk to your doctor. Ask for another provider. Those machines are so effective and so commonly used they should be in stock 24/7. No excuses what so ever for a supplier to be out of this item outside of careless inventory management.

I'm 71 now having had CPAP machine in use for about a year and a half. I value it so much that I bought a generator for use in our primative hunting camp. I also use Duo-Med which recquires a small compressor. I would not like my other options if that were an issue. I believe you will really get to like your new toy and very quickly.

To the person that said you need a new mask every six months I say....."this equipment is most expensive" "why not just purchase a new mask gasket"? Your server knows your insurance will pay for any reasonable support but you still likely have a co-pay. They the seller. You 'de boss!
Always keep a wide open eye on all health providers.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

How is everyone doing with their CPAP's now, after all of these years? I go for the test next month and am trying to figure out how much the test will cost and if the machine is usually paid for by the insurance companies...and I am just full of questions that I don't even know what are yet. ^_^ I figured that I could finally use our new search engine and see if any DG'rs have been down this path and what your experiences (and costs) were.
So far, googling around has showed me that the cost ranges from one to five thousand. Can anyone narrow that down? I pay 25% + $150. with my insurance and am trying to figure out how much to take with me. (and if anyone has been to Samsung Hospital in Seoul, how does it compare to what we Americans are used to?)
Thanks,
June

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

I LOVE my CPAP and don't even nap without it. Mine was paid for by insurance but I don't remember the cost. It's been several years.

I've heard of a new Resperonics CPAP that's self regulating as to air pressure. It changes accordingn to your breathing or something. My doctor has one and says it's the best thing ever.

Good luck.

I have that self regulating machine. It is self regulating to the breathing sequences. The machine ramps up to whatever pressure my health provider and doctor prescribe. That number has to be looked at on a chart to know the pounds of pressure. Pressure does not change except in the ramping up time period. This is the constant that fills the lungs based on your conditions. The moisture control is a matter of choice. Mine has been set on maximum since about the third day of use. Our heating is baseboard hot water. We also have humidification added to our daytime living areas not all house rooms.

Took me only three or four days to begin sleeping eight to ten hours straight through. I now get up at about three AM to go to the bathroom. My liquid intake has been increased bringing this relief into view. Two liters of oxygen is added through the mask during the sleeping hours. I pass water and add water at the three AM port of call.

My improvement was clearly noticed within a few days.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Thanks! I like your ringing endorsement: "don't even nap without it". I was thinking that it would be THAT much of an improvement that I would probably feel the same way.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Cross posted Docgipe! That sounds neat. I have heated floors and will probably need the humidification during our long winters. (I just bought a de-humidifier to get me through the monsoon season, I may have to keep that out of the bedroom)

Our one room is de-humidified with AC and humidification equipment. I have always been sensitive to high humidity. I'm seventy four now and seemingly even more concerended with humidity than anything else. Even in the automobile I call for more AC to pump out more humidity than any of my guests would use. At the malls I know which stores are the coolest and dryest. If I have a need I shop those stores for adjustment to some kind of a personal average need. I now have a scooter. Mall shopping has again become desirable. I get along pretty dern good for a guy who can only walk ten to twenty yards without help or rest periods. Using the scooter puts me in the grandsons ball games and such too,

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

For me, the sensitivity to humidity has started getting worse as I age. I can't stand it if it is too dry and I really have trouble when it is too humid.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I use the humidifier on my CPAP machine all the time; in the humid months I have it set low, but in the winter I raise the level since my sinuses dry out so. It's made a difference in my not getting sinus headaches overnight, something which happened several times a week before I began using a machine.

When you get one, shop around -- get a prescription and look online. Doctors offices charge obscene markups on this stuff! Mine's a Fisher & Paykel HC604HCU. The doctor's office charged my insurance $1600....And this site has it for $549. http://www.cpap-accessories.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=107

The only reason I got my new machine and mask from the doctor's office is my deductible was met and it was covered at 100% last year. If it'd been cash I was paying, I'd have bought online.

The best thing to come out since I started using my machine is the ResMed Swift LT for Her mask. It is so light I hardly feel it! I can sleep comfortably on my side or my back with it. No leaks, either! I do need to use a chin strap or I will open my mouth and air will escape, making an annoying noise that wakes my hubby. But even that is stretchy neoprene and is comfortable.

http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/documents/product/swift_lt_for_her/user_guide/608243_swift-lt-for-her_user-guide_amer_eng.pdf

This message was edited May 13, 2010 8:04 PM

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Oooh, that mask does look more comfortable than the others!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images