Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Garden Talk: Plant markers

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 71, Views: 622
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

June 26, 2006
11:25 AM

Post #2434408

Here are a couple of ideas I'm using for plant markers. I have bent a piece of wire and preserved the original label inside the small zip-lock cover (upside down). It withstood one season to my full satisfaction - but alas! the seeds did not do well! :(

Thumbnail by Dinu
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

June 26, 2006
11:27 AM

Post #2434414

I have used cut-pieces of electrical casings of plastic. Hung the labels with a punched hole to a suitably bent stiff wire.

Thumbnail by Dinu

jackstangle
La Conner, WA

September 19, 2006
12:22 AM

Post #2737198

I went to the local party store & got pkgs of plastic knives in light colors (pink and white) you can write on them & stick them in the ground easily. Hope this helps.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

September 19, 2006
4:02 AM

Post #2737984

Very nice. I have heard people using plastic spoons as well. But the important thing is the writing. It has to be weatherproof.
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 19, 2006
2:55 PM

Post #2738933

I ordered a bunch of wooden plant id spikes (shaped just like the plastic ones) and used my son's woodburning tool to burn the names onto them. Also have poured cement into small molds (e.g. old butter containers) and stamped the names in with letters I got at, I think, Hobby Lobby. You could also just write them in with a toothpick. Only for the ones I actually believe I'll have forever, of course! I've just done both of these, and don't know how long the wooden ones will last. I had originally used popsicle sticks and they didn't last a whole year.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 20, 2006
2:02 AM

Post #2740879

I have used the plastic utensils ( prefer knives ) but the cheapest was old used vinyl blinds ( white or beige) cut into lengths and marked with a Sharpie.
dirttiger
Portland, OR

September 20, 2006
5:06 PM

Post #2742540

How long does the sharpie writing last on plastic knives?
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

September 20, 2006
7:03 PM

Post #2742884

I have been using a paint marker and they seem to last longer than sharpie.
dirttiger
Portland, OR

September 20, 2006
9:19 PM

Post #2743251

I am not sure what a paint marker is. Can you please describe it and tell me where I can find one?!!! Also how long does paint marker last on plastic knives outside? Thanks!!!!!
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

September 20, 2006
9:28 PM

Post #2743276

A paint marker looks like a sharpie. You have to shake it to mix the paint and depress the point to get it to flow. I purchased mine at JoAnnes, I would guess that Michaels have them as well. The brand I have is "Painters". I can't tell you how long it will last on a plastic knife because I use venetian blinds cut up. I made some of each this spring and the paint ones look just like they did when they were new, the sharpie ones have faded. I also write on the back with pencil. Pencil seems to work the best, but I just can't believe it so I use one on each side. Some of the sharpie ones have faded beyond being able to read and the pencil on the back is fine.

They were used for identifying the winter sowing and then I used them in the garden so they have gone through one Minnesota winter.

As to how much paint is in one I can only guess I haven't run out yet.
dirttiger
Portland, OR

September 20, 2006
10:33 PM

Post #2743455

Thank you so much Zenpotter! It sounds like the "painter" pen is the way to go. And I love that you are recycling old venetian blinds. I know that it won't be hard to find an old pair. It seems like every house has an old broken pair hanging out in the basement!!
zenpotter
Minneapolis, MN
(Zone 4b)

September 20, 2006
10:54 PM

Post #2743507

Yes and it is hard to get rid of them. Before I found out about using them for plant markers I tried to give them to two different thrift stores and they wouldn't take them. I hate to just throw good stuff away.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 21, 2006
1:59 AM

Post #2744055

The Sharpie does not last long enough. The paint pen is a great idea Thanks! A friend has picked up something very similar at the auto parts store, in colors. I may check that out instead.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

July 10, 2011
10:01 AM

Post #8683964

Now I'm able to take a better picture. Here is what I made today - old one - cleaned and reused! I have been gifted a few bulbs from Birmingham, England, by my DD's friend who had returned home for vacation. She is aware of my gardening interests and she also presented me with a pair of gloves that has rubberized palms! I planted the bulbs today. Let me see if they come up.

Thumbnail by Dinu

soldiersong
North Plains, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 31, 2011
7:12 AM

Post #8727083

I make labels on a label maker, as neither the garden pen, pencil or sharpies stayed legible after a rainy winter. The label maker labels have been excellent and are clear and have not faded after three years.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

July 31, 2011
7:54 AM

Post #8727115

Could you please show us, sloldiersong? Sound nice, though we may not get them here in India.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2011
6:43 AM

Post #8755508

I use a labelmaker too. Here's one of my old plant markers with a label made on my Brother Ptouch labeler. I use different markers now. I discovered that with this particular type, my dogs will kick the plates off and I may never find them. The markers I use now have holes in the plates and they slip onto the wire stakes. My dogs have yet to destroy them.

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

August 14, 2011
8:56 AM

Post #8755697

This is neat. I guess a cello tape protects the printed matter from weather.
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 14, 2012
3:56 AM

Post #9081826

While I use mini blind labels inside my WS milk jugs for ID..I would like to know if anybody is so organized that they might use labels made by a labeling machine on their plant markers? When I first started WS in 2009, I saw somebody's photos posted where they used yellow laminated labels with black ink and what a difference reading the labels. I'd like to get some of that laminated yellow tape and use it on my metal plant markers in my flowerbeds as well.

Can I see a show of hands of gardeners who have used their label maker to this purpose and if so, can you post a picture for us?
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 14, 2012
5:21 AM

Post #9081860

I use a labeling machine, but I use the clear labels. I don't have a picture but the labeling makes everything look so neat and organized. I use a Brother Ptouch labelmaker and I can set the font to different sizes. I like the bigger font so I can read it while standing up rather than having to kneel to see it. Visitors to my gardens love the markers because they see the name of the plants. Of course, in the winter, it looks like a plant cemetary with all the markers sticking up. LOL
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

April 14, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9082053

That's what I want to do..The P-Touch that I am using is #1950..and I don't have the instruction manuel to it. My son has misplaced it in his house. I've told him where I think his partner would have kept it but I doubt if he's ever looked there..what does Mama know? I see the word font on the machine, but how do I get it to change fonts? I would like a larger print too. I use the metal plant markers outdoors but I noticed the garden marker pen that I use to write the name of the plant seems to fade after a few years. It says fine point but it surely isn't. I'd like to be able to write the date I planted the plants underneath the name of the plant. I only know flowers by common names, not botanical names. I recognize them sometimes but am not interested in learning the botanical names.

Thanks for your response. Haven't seen any pictures of your gardens in a while. Am anxious to learn what all you've done since last year. You were working on so many outdoor projects there for a while.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 14, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9082113

I tried writing with Crayons but it failed, with marker pens it failed. Paint-writing with a thin brush [it is art!] will work beautifully and it lasts long in all weather [here]. I did some last week when I repotted a few. Will take pictures and post here.
Mangogirl
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 14, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #9082806

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/brug/msg041856145707.html?1

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 26, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9098538

Here is the one I wanted to share. The paint brush was awkward. Hence the poor letters.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

January 26, 2013
9:48 AM

Post #9398127

Finally, I made more of these painted labels and I've just posted a blog entry.
I also found a couple of my older pictures in this thread which I added.

http://dinusyarden.blogspot.in/2013/01/plant-markers.html
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2013
10:12 AM

Post #9398151

That is a really great article, the pictures really show how much effort you put into this. I also have been frustrated with markers that fade away, the I forget what the plant is. going to try it this way.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

January 27, 2013
7:37 AM

Post #9398968

Thanks risingcreek. As I have written in the post, it is really worth the effort.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2013
12:39 PM

Post #9408284

I use mechanical pencils to mark vinyl mini-blind slats.

Big 0.07 mm lead or 0.9 mm lead for full-width slats.

Thin 0,5 mm leads when I cut the slats in halves or thirds so I can label rows in a plug tray, like a 128-cell plug tray.

Sometimes in the trays I abbreviate down to just a letter and a number, like "P 3" for the third petunia variety that year.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

February 4, 2013
9:01 PM

Post #9408843

Haven't tried lead pencils. How well do they withstand the weather?

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2013
7:48 AM

Post #9409108

I used the think they lasted "forever", but then I saw that they did fade after 2-3 years.

I have a cloudy, overcast climate. If it is UV from the sun that makes them fade, they might not last as long in India. For me, they last longer than Magic Marke4rs or Sharpies. And they have a fine line that I think is easier to write legibly with.

Or should I say they make a finer line, with which it's easier to write legibly?

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

February 5, 2013
8:42 AM

Post #9409152

Ya, I understood what you wrote first, the 'fine tip' pen. I'll try the pencil thing - thanks, why I hadn't got that idea?! I tried the embossing on a thin aluminum foil. But we don't buy tins with that seal inside the lid. So they are not easy to find for me. This is the best method I guess as there is no danger of fading.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 5, 2013
9:30 AM

Post #9409200

I didn't think of it either, until I read someone else's suggestion.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2013
3:13 PM

Post #9493529

After trying many other items I use popsicle sticks which are very cheap and china markers. So far they have held up thru rain and the sprinklers.
Bonnie

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 23, 2013
4:30 AM

Post #9494109

Bonnie, could you kindly show us a picture of what you mention? It would be nice.
Dinu
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 23, 2013
5:15 AM

Post #9494125

Dinu,
Here you go. Got these at Walmart for about $1.00. Can't find china markers right now but they are usually a craft item also I think.

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens

OldWrangler
Spring, TX

May 11, 2013
9:19 PM

Post #9517434

Someone mentioned paint pens so I did some looking online and found that Sharpie is making paint pens in about 10 colors. They have 2 kinds. One is water-based and the other is oil-based. I found both at Hobby Lobby for about $3 each. They make the pens in fine point and extra fine point. One is way too fine to read, but the other that is really like a felt tip, is just right. I got all kinds together and marked some of the yellow plastic markers. One with a reg. Sharpie Industrial "super permanent ink", one Sharpie "permanent marker", one Sharpie water-based paint marker, one Sharpie oil-based paint marker, one Pilot permanent type, one Garden Marker from DP Industries and something called AT-A-GLANCE. All of these were black. I then put all of these marked tags in the dish washer and they all got washed in hot soapy water 11 times in 2 weeks.
The Sharpie oil-based paint marker was by far the best, nothing changed, the Sharpie water- based paint marker seems to be water soluable and nearly disappeared as did the AT_A_GLANCE. The Pilot, the Sharpie Indudtrial and the others were still legible but not anything like the Sharpie oil-based paint marker. I am now starting over with all new ones outside to see what the sun does to fade them. This may take 2-3 months.
I suspect the Sharpie oil-based paint marker will probably excell in this as well. If it does all my other markers are going in the trash. I think this new paint pen is best by far. And now I know ,I'll let you know after the next test. I hope this will help someone, it has helped me.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 12, 2013
4:42 AM

Post #9517575

I just got the DP Industries Garden Marker (xylene free) from a gardening site. I will be interested to see how it works for you in comparison with the paint marker. Sharpies don't last too well for me here but I've not tried the oil-based paint marker yet.

OldWrangler
Spring, TX

May 12, 2013
9:56 PM

Post #9518524

I used to use the Garden Marker from DP but then found the Pilot. It was an improvement but this Sharpie oil-based paint marker is so far superior to everything else. There is even a manufacturer of stainless steel components for the space program that is using the paint marker as not heat or cold or moisture and many chemicals could do anything to the marks. Anything that marks stainless steel has to be good. I even tried it this morning on a piece of chrome plated steel and no problem. I think this is the solution to marking all kinds of things. I'll let you know how fast the pen runs out...that is my next concern. I usually write 30-40 labels every day, Results later.
OldWrangler
Spring, TX

May 13, 2013
10:06 AM

Post #9519048

These pens are available at Hobby Lobby and Home Depot. And you know how hard it is to use a marker on ceramic. This thing works great there too.
OldWrangler
Spring, TX

May 26, 2013
12:22 AM

Post #9534131

An early report on the outside labels in the sun and water. The Pilot pen has completely disappeared in only 2 weeks. The Garden marker is badly faded. The Sharpie industrial is fading but still legible. As expected the new Sharpie oil-based Paint marker is totally uneffected. I'll let you know more in a month or so.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2013
12:54 AM

Post #9534138

Thanks for the update.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2013
5:05 AM

Post #9534225

Old Wrangler, I just ordered a set of those Sharpie oil-based paint markers in different colors. I'm going to use them for decorating my tomato tags and also for refurbishing a sign I painted several years ago that hangs in the entry to our garden. I definitely appreciate your information!
OldWrangler
Spring, TX

June 6, 2013
7:37 PM

Post #9549314

Another update. Now the Pilot is gone and has been, The Garden Marker is also gone. The Sharpie industrial is faded to almost a shadow. But the Oil-based Paint pen looks exactly like when I put it in. It is definitely superior to everything else out there. Make sure it is oil-based and not water-based. I haven't tested that one but being water-based makes me think it will fade fast.

This test is almost a month old. Plants are 1/2 way in dirt with the writing up. They are in a cutting bed in nearly all day sun. They get watered every day with sprinkler system or like today, a good rain storm.

Another update in about a month

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 6, 2013
10:50 PM

Post #9549463

Thanks for keeping us updated. It's good info to have.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2013
3:59 AM

Post #9549554

My Sharpie oil-based paint markers arrived a couple of weeks ago and I used them for my tomato tags and my sign. They were hard to get going at first, and I don't know how much paint is left in the ones I used, but they apply easily and I'm hopeful that I'll now have easily legible lettering at least all season!

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 7, 2013
2:12 PM

Post #9550170

Amazon links:

Sharpie Oil-Based Fine Point Paint Markers, 5 Colored Markers(37371) by Sharpie
http://www.amazon.com/Sharpie-Oil-Based-Point-Markers-Colored/dp/B000GOYAPQ/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1370639199&sr=8-9&keywords=Sharpie++oil-based+++paint+pens

Sharpie Oil-Based Medium Point Paint Markers, 5 Colored Markers
http://www.amazon.com/Sharpie-Oil-Based-Markers-Colored-1770458/dp/B003YDYO1Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1370639199&sr=8-3&keywords=Sharpie++oil-based+++paint+pens

Sharpie Oil-Based Opaque Paint Permanent Marker, White, extra-fine
http://www.utrechtart.com/Sharpie-Oil-Based-Opaque-Paint-Permanent-Marker--White-MP35531-i1011272.utrecht?utm_source=amazon&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=35531

Sharpie Paint Marker Extra-fine Black (oil or water-based?)
http://www.amazon.com/Sharpie-Paint-Marker-Extra-fine-Black/dp/B00396ZPO8/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1370639199&sr=8-7&keywords=Sharpie++oil-based+++paint+pens

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2013
2:15 PM

Post #9550172

Yes, I got mine from Amazon, but I bought the larger set - 12 or 15 colors.
OldWrangler
Spring, TX

June 14, 2013
9:07 PM

Post #9559500

To get them started, shake the pen well to mix up the paint. You will hear a ball banging back and forth like in a paint spray can. Then press down hard or tap the point on a piece of paper until the paint flows. I like the extra fine point as it makes a finer line and is easier to control. The fine tip is like a felt tip marker and as it gets used the line gets thicker. It uses paint faster.

Still got my test going in the garden. As of now, the only marker that still shows up is the Sharpie oil based paint.The Pilot is completely gone, The Garden Marker and the At-A-Glance has been gone since the second week. The Sharpie Industrial is too faint to read and the Sharpie Permanent marker is just a faint shadow. In fact, I can re-use the plant tags again as they are clean.I'll leave the Paint marker for a little longer and see how it fairs. I think it is a major improvement over all the previous markers.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2013
12:46 AM

Post #9559564

Thank you for being diligent in reporting your results. It's helpful.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2013
4:26 AM

Post #9560639

Here's the sign I refurbished with the garden markers - so much easier than using a brush and I hope it will stay bright longer, too.

Thumbnail by greenhouse_gal

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2013
4:37 AM

Post #9560645

That looks very good, greenhouse. I like it. You are right that markers provide more control than brushes. I can make such a mess with the brushes.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2013
4:40 AM

Post #9560647

C'ville, I can do it but it takes forever. I'm a portrait painter and I HATE lettering! So this is a real break for me.
DebraDwife
Monterey, IN
(Zone 5b)

June 26, 2013
2:04 AM

Post #9573562

[quote="greenhouse_gal"]Here's the sign I refurbished with the garden markers - so much easier than using a brush and I hope it will stay bright longer, too.[/quote]

Your sign is beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

July 3, 2013
8:46 AM

Post #9584672

I am trying graphite pencil for my seed starting purpose.

Some wonderful information being shared. Sorry, I had kept it pending since I posted in April.
Thanks Bonnie for showing the Jumbo craft sticks. I have to venture the shop where I bought my Coin Album 3-4 months ago. They seem to have a lot of varieties of pens, stationery etc.

greenhouse-gal, thanks for the image. Wonderful board there. Very nice!

Hope people have started to observe my new avatar.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2013
8:49 AM

Post #9584684

Yes. Did you take the photo yourself? You look very happy. :)

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

July 3, 2013
9:35 AM

Post #9584738

Ha ha. Cv_G. It's a photo of me taken sometime in 1981 or so. Imitating my favourite comedian Stan Laurel. My friend had bought a box camera. He had the first roll of film and wanted to try. So there I was at his house to play a few games of Chess. He took a couple of shots of me. It was a fun moment. I still cherish this.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2013
9:39 AM

Post #9584744

lol. I got a good chuckle out of that, Dinu. It does resemble Stan Laurel. I just looked at your member page and I see there is an older version of you there. ;) Good memories of times with old friends are priceless.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

July 3, 2013
9:24 PM

Post #9585798

(-: I'll change my avatar once some of my familiar friends notice it! Of course, I love to 'nostalgiate'. I take credit for coining this new word as well.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 4, 2013
2:34 AM

Post #9585873

Good one!
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 4, 2013
8:55 AM

Post #9586350

Would love to hear some of your suggestions how to mark perennials that will be moved when I have to reduce the width of my flowerbeds come early Fall. Pirl, didn't you tell me once about some type of metal flags that construction people use. I don't want to use my good metal plant markers. Do you recall what those orange flags are called? Didn't you see them on Home Depot website? Guess I could take a wire hangar and cut it into 6 in. pieces and make my own flags using colored duct tape. I also have Landscaping spray paint that I bought and have never used it except to mark cable lines. I've been wondering if I could start digging some of the perennials up and potting them up in large pots for easy planting later. My problem is having the space to store the pots once I've dug the plants up. I know a friend says she'll take anything I want to give away, I may not get to digging up the existing scallopped brick pavers till early Fall, so that is why I am hesitating about digging up the plants now.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 4, 2013
10:00 AM

Post #9586437

Try looking under sprinkler flags. :)
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 5, 2013
12:19 PM

Post #9587925

I think I found them a few years ago on internet and thought I had printed off the page so will try to find that printed matter. I think I know of two places I can look.
Seems like they might have been landscaping marking flags.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2013
1:20 PM

Post #9587990

Home Depot has them as sprinkler flags, used for marking the layout of a sprinkler system. Other places might call them landscaping flags as well.

greenhouse_gal

greenhouse_gal
Southern NJ
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2013
2:23 PM

Post #9588063

Okay, the red of the Sharpie oil-based paint markers is fading a bit on my tomato tags, although it's still obviously red. The sign still looks fine.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 5, 2013
5:44 PM

Post #9588269

>> how to mark perennials that will be moved

Punch a hole in a mini-blind slat or other piece of plastic.
A paper punch makes a nice clean hole.
Write the name in pencil (I like thick lead, like 0.7 mm or 0.9 mm .
Thread a string through the hole.
Tie to some visible branch where it can't fall off. (But not TOO tight!)
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 5, 2013
6:21 PM

Post #9588317

Rick, great idea! Have plenty of mini-blind markers already cut and I have hole punchers. Maybe I will spray with landscape spray paint(orange)because I have it, so it's quite visible. Sometimes we forget to use what we already have because we forget about it! LOL!

C_Ville gardener from Tenn. I looked on HD's website and found them under irrigation flags, just like you said. Thanks for the useful information.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 6, 2013
1:19 AM

Post #9588554

Great, Pippi. They are useful little things. :)

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 6, 2013
5:58 PM

Post #9589437

>> Sometimes we forget to use what we already have because we forget about it! LOL!

I agree. They say that New Yorkers seldom think to visit the Statue of Liberty.
OldWrangler
Spring, TX

August 15, 2013
12:37 PM

Post #9631625

Here is my 2 month update on the various marker pens. 6 yellow plastic tags were put in a seed bed on June 15 and left in rain and sunshine, wind and watering. My dog Merlin may have even lifted his leg on them more than once...it's a territorial thing with us guys.
Any how at the end of 2 months there is only one legible tag. It is the Sharpie Oil-based Paint Marker. 2 others show a shadow of where the writing was. They were the Sharpie Industrial Permanent Marker and the Sharpie Permanent Marker. They are just barely legible while the Paint marker looks like it did at the beginning of the test.
The Pilot, the At-A-Glance and the Garden Markers failed before the end of 3 weeks...those tags are reusable.
My oil-based Sharpie has run out of paint after nearly 300 labels. I am please with this and their price has come down from original so they are even better. Hope this helps.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

August 15, 2013
11:44 PM

Post #9632045

A friend is coming to India in less than a week. I just mentioned her to look for these permanent markers - weather proof. I only need a couple of pens, but the sites listed a set of 10 or so. So what to do? I'll have to cancel my request.

Checked the Sharpie on the web. How long can they be stored without using? Do they dry up fast?
OldWrangler
Spring, TX

August 16, 2013
3:55 PM

Post #9632769

Dinu, the one to use is the oil-based. The water-based will not hold up as well. They are available from Hobby Lobby craft store in a 2 pack or singles. I like the Extra Fine Point as it writes more cleanly. The Fine Point is like a felt tip and writes a wider stroke. These pens come in many colors but I am only using the Black. They come sealed in plastic so they last well until the plastic is removed. Even when open, I had no trouble using it during the 2 months I tried it. I am sure someone in the US can buy it and ship to you. Global Priority is not expensive and to India takes 7-10 days. If you can't find someone let me know and I will do it. Tell me how many and I'll get a price on product and shipping cost. If you can pay through Paypal that will work for me.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

August 17, 2013
9:16 AM

Post #9633287

OldWrangler, Thanks for the 'fine tip' on fine tips!! :) LOL. I'll try to find if my friend has got it already - she has very less time now to pack up. Will let you know. My requirement of these is not much. One or two should last for 2-3 years... then let me see.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America