Any idea what these are?

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

How long has it been since you have seen these. The red one I would have been too young to have bought new. The white one I wanted but couldn't have afforded when it was new. Guess I am showing my age...

Thumbnail by podster
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Volvo (red)? Not old enough to have bought it as it looks to be around 1962 model (I was born in 66) but not sure as I don't know much about cars. The white one I haven't a clue, it looks European as (BMW etc) cause of the boxiness...most Mercedes etc were more rounded from what I recall.

Hi... I'm back ~ Volvo is right, it is a 1959, model PV544 and at your tender young age you made a great guess. They made this model from the mid 1940's till the mid 1960's with only minor changes. It is fun as it elicits lots of comments and evokes memories. I was asked if I bought it new and laughed as I am not quite that old.

If you don't mind, I will wait on the white car to see if there are any other guesses. It will surprise you. Here's another view...

This message was edited Jun 26, 2006 9:02 PM

Thumbnail by podster
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

auugh the wait will kill me LOL! It puts me in mind of my first car some (Opal) because of it's shape. .. that car hated me!

Eeuwww. I used to work for a Buick dealer in the early '70's. We sold Opels or Hopelesses as we called them. I did like the look of the Opel GT though. The Opel mechanic was kind enough to keep my Vw ( my first car) running. That was around the time I wanted but couldn't afford the white car.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I'd kill for a 61 Karmann Ghia...

Ghias are neat and pretty collectable now. Why a 61? Mine was a bug and truly a beater. First cars are great for memories though.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Just love the rounded shape and I had an old BF who's dad had one when I was a high school...Ok my final guess on the white car is a Citroen...Just looks French, does it have an accent? *G*

Foreign but not french... sorry. Thankfully! Were it french, my youngest stepdaughter would kill for it. pod

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

lol I have to own up to being a bit of a car snob myself. I about sat and cried when Ford bought Jag...I always said that was going to be my mid life crisis car...that was until Ford bought them out! Boo Hiss!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

You are driving us mad by not telling us what it is!! if someone else knows what it is hurry up and tell us!! Otherwise I will have to google it. LOL

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

lol google it and then tell me it's drivin me crazy

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Avanti

Edited to say I was just about to post a thread of the cool cars that showed at my place yesterday. Avanti, right? Am I right?
Check out my "woody gang" post.

This message was edited Jun 27, 2006 6:36 PM

Ohhh, I always loved the Avantis'. Even the Gm copies. Not American made though, sorry.
This car has two bucket seats and a small back seat big enough for only a house cat or two. The rear seat folds down and the back will carry lots of potting soil, plants, etc... I understand the back seat was almost an afterthought. They could pay a cheaper import tax if it was a passenger car rather than a sports car.

A hint, the designer was Italian but the car is bilingual.

I guess if desperate, you can dmail me, only if you promise to keep a secret.

For another clue, here's one more photo....

Thumbnail by podster
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Front end doesn't really look like an Avanti to me..they always had the finned headlights...I dunno....uugh lol driving me nuts

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Not a Capri...to boxy for a Mistral..Humm

Don't feel too bad, there were only 8,048 of these made... (if I remember the correct figure)

A Capri I am familiar with a Mistral is a new one on me?

Northport, ME(Zone 5b)

P1800 I have fixed Volvos for 20 years.

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Darn. Well, it looks so familiar. I swear I knew someone with one of these, hmmmm.

Northport, ME(Zone 5b)

The Saint drove one. Simon Templar.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Maserati Mistra....doesn't look like an P1800 to me, But then I'm at a loss right now

Hey Frankay way to go! Stel ~ the P1800 coupe was more common. Do you remember the two seat coupe with the catfish fins? Fix Volvos hummm I may have to keep you in mind. This one has less than 40,000 actual miles on it. We have been gradually restoring but have more problems from it not being driven. I always wanted one since they were new. Just had to wait about 30 years. It was worth the wait, I love it.
One last shot here....

Thumbnail by podster
Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

That's why it's so familiar! I guess I was typing when you were posting Frankay. I always wanted one of the old Volvo's. Here's a pic of my dream car, I go back and look at it periodically, and hope one day I can afford to maintain a vintage car. I know, my tastes are rather utilitarian. Nothing sporty about this one.

Thumbnail by stellapathic
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Well drats...lol Frankay where were you last night when I was going nuts on this?

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I wish I had been more into cars than boys in highschool...

Maserati Mistra humm... and you said you didn't know much about cars...

This is a Volvo P1800es Sport Wagon. Lusted after one for almost 30 years and it was worth the wait. I love it! You may rememer a small coupe with the catfish fins. Same basic body just not a wagon. That was more common and called a P1800.

Hang in there for the car of your dreams...

Thumbnail by podster
Northport, ME(Zone 5b)

It had a standard engine with a "wilder" cam shaft. Higher lift and duration gave it a little more HP.

Sorry, didn't realize my photo/ post went thru and I duplicated it. Stel I love it! A vintage SUV. We saw one of those on the road in Mpls a few years back. Not that nice but took pictures ~ they didn't turn out. It is neat. It is the same basic body style as our PV544. Does that make me a Volvo snob, oh well. You know some older cars are not high maintenance. The Volvos are fairly easy to work on with motors that are still in use. Parts that are still available and not too expensive. Great fun.

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

I recently bought the first car in my life that wasn't a Volvo. I just wasn't that thrilled about spending that much money on one of the new ones. They're ok, but nothing made my heart race. So I got a Subaru Forrester, and I like it a lot for not being a Volvo, lol.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I learned how to drive on a Volvo and would have loved to own one...that is until the nasty and evil F word (that would be Ford) entered into it...*sigh* Ford is really messing with my car dreams

Hey, I'm a Ford person!! My whole family is too. And that includes aunts, uncles, cousins, bros and parents and me!! One exception is a dodge deisel.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I've never had a Ford that didn't break down more often than not...had three and on the third I said never again.

Ours do okay. Depends on the age and what shape they are when you buy them. When i bought my truck the motor was running good but you could tell it was running on limited time. Have had it for almost 3 years now. Bought it only because i was desprate since I wrecked my other truck the week before. It is finally starting to really fall apart and i am looking for another but this time I am going for lower mileage and the interior needs to be in great shape too. Am getting close to desprate but have other vehicles in the family that I can drive...I hope!! I am going with a Ford or Dodge.

We shy away from Fords also. In the older models, if you work on your own vehicle they were always more difficult than the GM products.
Ford might be an acronym for Find On Road Dead or maybe Fix Or Repair Daily? No Offense meant of course...

Northport, ME(Zone 5b)

Due to the push from Japanese car makers, GM, Ford and Chrysler have all started making much better cars. They all have thier own problems. I have been training on GM for 2 years now. So Ford and Dodge suck because I have no idea how to work on them. OBDII makes it so anyone with a $200 scan tool can pull out the codes but every maker adds enhanced systems with much more info. (Ford lovers say First On Race Day)

"Due to the push from Japanese car makers, GM, Ford and Chrysler have all started making much better cars" How true. We recall the older days where it would be unheard of to see the high mileage we commonly reach these days. But it sure wasn't Fords idea or my Fathers' car.... pod
A friend who owned a Ford said F*&%((g Old Rebuilt Dodge. Sorry... ;^}

LOL

Northport, ME(Zone 5b)

I found a gold p1800ES for sale. almost next door. They want $5500. I will stop and look tomorrow.

Oh oh, are you lusting after one now? I will be curious to hear what condition it is in...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.