AuthorContent

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 28, 2006
12:19 AM

Post #2441036

The hardware store had this one in a big 5 gallon for only $18 so I thought I would take a chance on it. Today it bloomed...

Thumbnail by Kell
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2006
12:48 AM

Post #2441146

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That turned out to be a real beauty. I have 2 I am waiting to see bloom of the cajun series. Ruffled Beauty and Stolen Kiss. Couldn't pass them up for 10 each in 3 gal pots

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 28, 2006
1:11 AM

Post #2441221

Shoot Donna, you have me beat. LOL. I can't wait for pictures!!
carlo05
Mol
Belgium
(Zone 8a)

June 28, 2006
8:14 AM

Post #2442243

... and if you want a name, label it as "Lady Cilento".
I don't manage well with capacity in gallon but I guess it's a big plant.

Regards

Carlos
MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2006
10:20 AM

Post #2442315

Kell, I can't believe you come up with all these beauties. My little garden takes me forever to take care of. Your flowers are spectacular. I know you spend multiples of time on them. (Mommy, I want to be just like Kell when I grow up). :) Marie

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 28, 2006
12:02 PM

Post #2442525

LOL Marie. My yard is a disaster this year. I spend too much time nursery hopping and on here. Yesterday I spent half the day chopping back a vine I ususlly would have pruned back in April. It went from night on my porch to day, it is great now. I have cuttings all over my back-porch. My DH just wants to be able to sit out there and relax. Believe me, you do not want to be anything like me.

Hi Carlos! 5 gallon is a good size. It was labeled Sunset Beach but I wonder if growers just name them what ever they want. I find similar ones with different names all the time.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 28, 2006
12:43 PM

Post #2442629

Carlos, 5 gallons is just slightly under 19 liters. Yes, is it a big pot and Kell always finds the best plants. Wouldn't it be fun to go on a plant shopping trip with Kell and with Kyle?

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 28, 2006
12:53 PM

Post #2442642

Ardesia, if I were you I would pick to go with Kyle but in California. LOL. The best of all worlds. Though with his contacts, I bet he does much more fun shopping than I do right from his home or office.
TessC
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2006
1:15 PM

Post #2442681

I've gotta disagree. No disrespect meant, guys, but I'd pick to go shopping with Carlos. First off, it means I get to go to Belgium, and that's a no-brainer! Second I'd get flip through his book of thousands of blooms and make my list of "must haves" triple in one fell swoop! lol...

And then I'd get home and DH would know it was too dangerous to let me back in the house, but that's a whole other issue. Ah hem.
carlo05
Mol
Belgium
(Zone 8a)

June 28, 2006
6:14 PM

Post #2443779

Tess, I'd prefer to go shopping to CA, LA & FL hibiscus nurseries. Here you won't find much... and nothing cheap. For the last liners I bought I paid around 10$ each and some are mislabelled once they've bloomed.
ardesia, thanks for the numbers but I'm a bit lost with volume measurements. I used to work with the diameter of the pot, in centimeters or inches.
Kell, yes, some growers/resellers that buy hundred of liners from hibiscus nurseries tend to change the name of the original plant. I guess Sunset Beach is one of those names. I'm sure yours is Lady Cilento, a bit old variety.

Regards

Carlos
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 28, 2006
6:17 PM

Post #2443793

Whoa, you think big Tess; a trip to Belgium, Hmmmmm, that does sound interesting but seeing Carlos' book sounds dangerous. Over the top plant envy. LOL
TessC
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2006
6:22 PM

Post #2443810

hey, if you're going to get in trouble at the end of whatever trip you take because you've dragged home ANOTHER dozen plants...well, might as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb, right? lol...
Eclipse
Norwalk, IA
(Zone 5b)

June 29, 2006
12:58 AM

Post #2445212

I use to spend two weeks every year in the Southern calif area plant shopping, box everything up and send the plants back here.Haven't been able to do that for 10 years this summer...:-(

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 29, 2006
6:35 AM

Post #2446287

I may go to LA area in August on a plant trip, Kyle. My first!! It would be such fun.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

June 29, 2006
3:47 PM

Post #2447299

You thinking of doing the begonia trip? hmmmm

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 30, 2006
7:45 PM

Post #2452012

Yes with Lali girl, Sue. Though I would need my own hotel room because I snore my DH tells me. I wouldn't want you all to know that.

Are you getting an idea??? LOL

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2006
8:41 PM

Post #2452211

well, I was until DD just asked me yesterday if they can move in for about a month in August before headin north for their big move.

Although, maybe I should get away right about then for some peace!

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 1, 2006
7:30 AM

Post #2453857

LOL. Kind of nice, you will get to see them all 24-7 before the big move.
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2006
2:46 PM

Post #2461963

OK - so I don't post in this forum I won't do a jump in look at me thread.

I just like this flower.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 3, 2006
2:50 PM

Post #2461982

Well we want to look at you. What a fantastic picture! A beauty for sure!
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

July 3, 2006
2:56 PM

Post #2462015

bigcityal, that is really pretty!

Kell...here is one I had last year called Sunshowers...not the same as yours, but close! Do you have more blooms to post pics of?

Thumbnail by Brinda

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

July 3, 2006
3:10 PM

Post #2462086

Hey BC Gal, what a great photo; you really captured the intensity in that shot. Awesome flower, thanks for sharing and come see us more often. a
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

July 3, 2006
3:19 PM

Post #2462113

Thanks - it's the only one I have though, but I'm not shy.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 4, 2006
4:05 PM

Post #2466063

Oh Brinda, so pretty! I think I have that one too unless I lost it over winter. I have lots of pics. LOL. You know I would have. But mine are just starting to take off, so I will have lots more soon!
cfarm
Discovery Bay, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 30, 2007
1:04 AM

Post #3446284

I was trolling the garden section of my local Home Depot today and found this same "Sunset Beach" hibiscus in 1 gal size for a stunning $4.97 Found one in bloom and it closely matches Kell's pic from last year. Snatched up a total of 3. Figure I can make up some containers as gifts.

Found a slightly different color variation in a 5 gal. they called "Newport Beach" for $14.97. Late Sunday afternoon, this thing had 3 flowers nicely open. I almost couldn't believe it! Maybe because the price wasn't marked folks were afraid to ask?

I was so jazzed I insisted on getting it planted next to my pondless waterfall near the front door of our house. I was out there swinging a shovel well after dark...yes, my neighbors think I'm a nut. The accent lighting on the waterfall sets it off perfectly.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 30, 2007
3:11 AM

Post #3446370

Hi Cfarm. I am trying to remember where Discovery Bay is in relation to me. I think you are not too far. Looking at that picture I started this thread with, I am wondering what happened to that hibiscus. I think half of it survived the winter and it is in my orange cobo pot. I should check labels. I was debating if I should yank it the other day and just plant a new one. So many of mine got toasted by our January cold spell!

Sounds like you had fun at HD. I should stop by ours just to see what is going on.
cfarm
Discovery Bay, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 30, 2007
10:01 AM

Post #3446973

Hi Kell, Disco Bay is on Hwy 4 just east of Brentwood. Used to be a weekend resort type town and now it's grown into a bedroom community for the Bay Area.

The Depot I visited is west side of Brentwood near Antioch. They must have had 20 of these gal size.

I had a few in the ground which had made it through one winter, but went roots up in this last one. I've spent the last few weekends replanting almost my entire backyard. Still a little to do, so nursery trolling is mandatory. Managed to take home a decent haul of goodies from the UC Botanical sale the other day. Got some oddball Passiflora for others I lost in the freeze, among other things.
BarrysHibiscus
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2007
11:39 PM

Post #3986530

Greetings, all.
I'm a professional hibiscus hybridizer . . and I've grown Curt Sinclair's Sunshowers for many years. I hate to disagree with Carlos, but the first picture posted here was Sunshowers, not Lady Cliento. Curt has sold so many of these to so many people and businesses over the years that we now see it marketed under many names in this country. Completely legal, darn it, which is why I patent everything that Hines Horticulture buys from me. Curt has never patented any of his, so he suffers this abuse from growers lacking conscience. A few of his like sunshowers and Red Snapper SHOULD have been patented, maybe fine little Erin Rachel.
My opinions only, offered for your consideration.
peace and joy,
Barry
amarantha00
San Bernardino, CA
(Zone 8b)

September 17, 2007
11:51 PM

Post #3986566

Kell, what a beautiful find! Al, your picture is great! Everyone is welcome here in Hibiscus World :-)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hibiscus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
variegated rose of sharon roose 11 Feb 14, 2008 8:39 PM
Ok, I'm confused on these two roselle hibisucus kathy_ann 99 Dec 9, 2007 3:03 PM
Jamaica Servants_heart 3 Jul 30, 2007 4:39 PM
This was too die for, a must must must have. Kell 84 Jul 10, 2012 3:41 PM
New Hardy Hibiscus NCplantsman 12 Aug 7, 2007 8:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America