-
AuthorContent
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 20, 2001
6:03 AM

Post #8854

She wore an itsy-bitsy, teeny-weeny yellow polka-dot bikini...Okay, for those of you who have never heard that song, I digress. LOL!

I bought this nifty little houseplant in a 3" pot for 98 cents. What is it other than "assorted foliage"?

I now return you to your regular programming.

;o) Kimberley

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2001
8:19 AM

Post #96996

I think..."Aucuba japonica" Variegata
Maybe? Larkie

http://www.orst.edu/dept/ldplants/aujav3.htm
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 20, 2001
3:09 PM

Post #97113

It does look a lot like that aucuba japonica, but this is a some type of tropical and the leaf edges are smooth instead of jagged. My picture doesn't show that very well at all - I just got the polka-dots! :o)
tiredwabbit
Point Pleasant Beach, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2001
3:24 PM

Post #97127

I believe it is some kind of croton/Codiaeum. but for the life of me I cannot find it online. I just keep finding the bigger one, But I strongly believe it's what it is. I wanted to pick it up myself a few times, but I really don't have the right enviornment for them. Even though I have the bigger one. Well I am babbling, so I'll move on now. I hope I'm right...lol It will make my day :) being that I am fairly new to all this.
Holly
(forgot to put my name :O) )

This message was edited Friday, Jul 20th 11:24 AM
JJsgarden
Northern Piedmont, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2001
5:37 PM

Post #97167

Just flipping throught my houseplant book, and it resembles both Gold-Dust Dracaena (D. surculosa,D. godseffiana) and Gold-Dust Croton (Codiaeum variegatum 'Gold Dust').

Jean
perLite
Petaluma, CA

July 20, 2001
6:53 PM

Post #97215

That thar's a Codiaeum variegatum, or croton, allright. They grow into humongous shrubs in zone 10, outside. Variegation changes with respect to light exposure, and the shape and size of leaves varies from long and narrow to more rounded to trilobed. There are countless color variations too, with spots and splotches yellow, orange, red... They're a wonderful color addition to the home.
They like to have their soil a little on the moist side. Watch out for spider mites, which love them. (little webbies at the leaf axials, and a dirty appearance on the underside of the leaves). Keep those at bay with a soap spray. The plants like a daily water spritz if you've time. HTH, perL :)
WillCreed
New York, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2001
7:36 PM

Post #97236

To be very precise, you have a codiaeum variegatum pictum 'Aucubaefolium'. It is commonmly called aucuuba leaf croton because of its physical resemblance to a miniature aucuba (Right-on , Larkie!). It has the same cultural requirements as other crotons, but this one can tolerate dryness better than other crotons.
Will Creed
http:HortHelp.homestead.com
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 20, 2001
10:30 PM

Post #97326

Woo-hoo! I knew I could count on you guys! Any time a friend or relative has a plant we can't ID, I cry, "Oh! My friends at Davesgarden can help!!". They're used to my bubbling by now. :o) Kimberley

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 8 Jul 2, 2010 2:47 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America