Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Palms and Cycads: How to propagate a pony tail palm

Communities > Forums > Palms and Cycads
bookmark
Forum: Palms and CycadsReplies: 9, Views: 216
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dogmansis
Wimberley, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 30, 2006
3:33 AM

Post #2449855

I just transplanted a 16 yr old pony tail palm...got it when my daughter was almost 2 and now she's fixing to go to A&M at Corpus Christi, so soon "AL" (daughter's name is Arna Leigh) will be leaving. But it got me to wondering, how do you propagate a pony tail palm? I've never seen any seeds and there usually aren't any side shoots to cut off. I would love to try it if ANYBODY can tell me how! Thanks!
Debbie

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 30, 2006
6:40 AM

Post #2450158

Not a palm... but easy to propogate just from cuttings (cut off an 'arm' and stick in the ground/pot). But seed is available and easy to grow.
gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

July 2, 2006
1:12 AM

Post #2456350

my chunk of caudex is over a year old in the pot and I am not sure if it has any roots yet. Here's a picture of it from our garden club flower show in March this year where it won a blue ribbon.

Thumbnail by gardenmart
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dogmansis
Wimberley, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 2, 2006
3:09 AM

Post #2456914

Beautiful plant, gardenmart, and congratulations on the blue ribbon! It deserved it!
gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

July 7, 2006
12:19 AM

Post #2475905

Thanks Debbie, my palm gets all the credit. All I did last year was to keep it dry enough to keep from rotting. I mist the leaves now and then. It has been too rainy to put it outside this year so far.
Martha
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

May 16, 2008
5:58 PM

Post #4960417

OK folks where do you find the seeds on the pony tails? I have one and did not know it had seeds.

Lavina

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 17, 2008
4:21 AM

Post #4963084

as mentioned in another thread, you have to wait it out for a decade or so and it has to be in full sun outdoors... but eventually it will flower AND seed afterwards. I have never seen a smaller plant do this- just large ones (tall- 6' or more) and with bases about 2'-6' in diameter... I think you can buy seed on the internet. Botanical Gardens with a number of these plants could potentially have millions of seeds.
daves_not_here
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 9b)

May 18, 2008
12:49 AM

Post #4966427

I think I got mine from bananatree. I'll post pics when i get home.
daves_not_here
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 9b)

May 24, 2008
3:57 AM

Post #4995879

Here are my babies. Almost two years from germination. They have been a little dry lately, and could use a little more soil.

Thumbnail by daves_not_here
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

May 24, 2008
12:29 PM

Post #4996519

Wow Dave, they look good. I have to get some seeds. I have found out you gotta love palms to grow them as they grow so SLOW. My Mexican fans will soon be 3 and they are about 3 years old but soon I have been told they will just take off fast. I have one king that have made it and its really growing since I moved it to the coast.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Palms and Cycads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
help repot ponytail palm abigailfaith 15 Mar 18, 2008 12:40 AM
2000 year Phoenix seed germinates growin 3 Jun 17, 2008 3:30 PM
Help Treating for Scale on Sago Palm spicerd 36 Jan 28, 2010 5:04 PM
Sago palm turning yellow deb741 17 Apr 17, 2008 6:15 AM
Identity please? claypa 27 Dec 22, 2007 11:49 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America