How to propagate a pony tail palm

Wimberley, TX(Zone 8a)

I just transplanted a 16 yr old pony tail palm...got it when my daughter was almost 2 and now she's fixing to go to A&M at Corpus Christi, so soon "AL" (daughter's name is Arna Leigh) will be leaving. But it got me to wondering, how do you propagate a pony tail palm? I've never seen any seeds and there usually aren't any side shoots to cut off. I would love to try it if ANYBODY can tell me how! Thanks!
Debbie

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Not a palm... but easy to propogate just from cuttings (cut off an 'arm' and stick in the ground/pot). But seed is available and easy to grow.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

my chunk of caudex is over a year old in the pot and I am not sure if it has any roots yet. Here's a picture of it from our garden club flower show in March this year where it won a blue ribbon.

Thumbnail by gardenmart
Wimberley, TX(Zone 8a)

Beautiful plant, gardenmart, and congratulations on the blue ribbon! It deserved it!

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks Debbie, my palm gets all the credit. All I did last year was to keep it dry enough to keep from rotting. I mist the leaves now and then. It has been too rainy to put it outside this year so far.
Martha

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

OK folks where do you find the seeds on the pony tails? I have one and did not know it had seeds.

Lavina

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

as mentioned in another thread, you have to wait it out for a decade or so and it has to be in full sun outdoors... but eventually it will flower AND seed afterwards. I have never seen a smaller plant do this- just large ones (tall- 6' or more) and with bases about 2'-6' in diameter... I think you can buy seed on the internet. Botanical Gardens with a number of these plants could potentially have millions of seeds.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9b)

I think I got mine from bananatree. I'll post pics when i get home.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9b)

Here are my babies. Almost two years from germination. They have been a little dry lately, and could use a little more soil.

Thumbnail by daves_not_here
Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Wow Dave, they look good. I have to get some seeds. I have found out you gotta love palms to grow them as they grow so SLOW. My Mexican fans will soon be 3 and they are about 3 years old but soon I have been told they will just take off fast. I have one king that have made it and its really growing since I moved it to the coast.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images