Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

25th anniversary out east need help

Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi

My husband and I celebrated our 25th anniversary on June 20th. We are planning a vacation in the fall. My husband has MS
He is currently doing well. He has always wanted to go out east in the fall so we are going this year. We are driving from Illinois we want to go through these states New Jersey, Maine, Mass, Vermont, Conn, New Hampshire. My huband can walk some but for the most part will be in his scooter. Looking for a trip of a life time. We don't know how much time we have before things get bad we are planning 2-3 weeks. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Linda

Mint Hill, NC(Zone 7a)

Hmmm well we live in NE Conneticut and you will have the best time if you are in the New England area around Columbus Day. Here where I live most things are open until Christmas, it is getting chilly here at that time but not miserable unless it is raining. Bar Harbor, Maine closes up tight after that week and there are few things open until Christmas. Besides the fall color is usually spectactular in the area at that time. You will want to be here earlier if you want to go to Mt Washington in NH the weather there changes drastically and dramatically there.
if there is anything I can help you with let me know we are transplants and have been here for almost 5 yrs. But we try to get out and go as many places as we can. Never know when we may have to move.Went to NY Botanical Garden and saw the Dale Chihuly exhibit it was awesome.

I hope you all have a great time

kerrie

Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

We were planning for the last week of September and the first two weeks in October do you think that is to late..

Mint Hill, NC(Zone 7a)

No, the weather should be very nice here. I think that is a perfect time, but you may want to check into hotels , B&Bs etc because the 'leaf peepers 'seem to get the hotels and B&Bs early here. So check on reservations sometime soon.

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

DH and I were in New Haven, CT in mid Oct one year. The red ivy on the brick walls of Yale was gorgeous! Wish I could post some photos but that was pre-digital.

Enjoy your anniversary trip!

Debra

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

Hi Linda,
How nice you are coming to New England. Fall is a beautiful time here! The foliage colors are just beautiful. I don't know if you've seen this thread:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/580266/

A lot of good ideas for New England here.

For checking out places to stay, I like to look them up in TripAdvisor -- http://www.tripadvisor.com. This website has a lot of people's reviews and comments about many hotels, B&Bs etc. Plus this web site has info on things to do.

So what type of activities do you like to do? Are you interested in any gardens, museums, theater?

Sue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.