Chopper update

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Well, yesterday I got to try out the chopper and see if the $4500.00 worth of parts Spouse and DS put in it worked. It did!!! Had to get a whole cutterhead assembly, since "I" bent the other one. The old one was a 6 knife cutterhead, spouse upgraded to an 8 knife system. Wow! Sure cuts finer; it should pack really good now. :>) We're about half done chopping hay; spouse didn't mow any today for tomorrow (Sat.) as they are calling for rain Sat. and Sunday. I imagine it won't rain now since we didn't mow any off. We shall see.............

Falls Mills, VA

Anna:
Glad to hear you got your chopper working although the $4500 was a bite out of the wallet. OUCH!

Could you post a pic of your chopper sometime? I would like to know how it works. We bale all ours here, although a lot of farmers bale theirs green now and wrap it in plastic bags. I guess this is a similar process to what you are doing putting hay in a silo.

We are still mowing hay here in Virginia too. A neighbor down the road came to me last week and said I could mow his hay if I would give him half of it. Its all flat fields, no hills to deal with, so I took him upon it. It is easy mowing, I have already mowed one field......was able to mow in third gear, WOW!

V

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Virginian..........we put all our crops in bags. Don't use the silos anymore for cow feed, tho Spouse uses the HM grain unit for shell corn for the hogs and we have some dry shell corn in the cement stave silo. Our chopper is an old crutch..........an early 80's model Field Queen self propelled (FQ is made by Hesston). I love it, I don't think there is enough money to get me to go back to a pull chopper again, so nice to be able to back your butt out of corners!!! LOL I will take a pic for you next time we have it outside if I have a minute to spare. You have to promise not to laugh at it tho. :>)

Falls Mills, VA

Oh I promise to not laugh. I know what it means to 'make do' with used equipment. All of my hay equipment is used, the mower, the rake, the baler......all used. The baler is an old square baler....how out of date is that technology?

Mowed about 10 acres of hay today.

V

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images