Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Florida Gardening: Growing Kiwi in Florida

Communities > Forums > Florida Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Florida GardeningReplies: 7, Views: 121
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dwallace59
Bradenton, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 1, 2006
11:41 AM

Post #2454014

I have grown several ‘Golden’ Kiwis from seed a couple of years ago. The plants are doing great but have not yet flowered. I also purchased couple ‘Tomuri’ (male) and ‘Vincent’ (female) Kiwi plants two years ago to ensure I had a couple of known male and female plants. All the plants look great but they have not flowered yet either.

I guess patience is the key for kiwi. I have read that they fruit on mature wood, at least one year old.

I am interested in anyone who may be growing kiwi in Florida and their experiences. Has anyone grown them and successfully got fruit in Florida?

Thanks

DW

Cambium

Cambium
Lamar, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2006
12:51 PM

Post #2457604

I haven't tried Kiwi as of yet. I'd love to, especially if the trees are small to medium sized. I am doing well with pineapple tho! 8-)

~*~ Suenell
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

July 2, 2006
1:06 PM

Post #2457635

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/kiwifruit.html
http://www.uga.edu/fruit/kiwi.htm
tropicalkaren
The Villages, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 2, 2006
3:39 PM

Post #2458109

I have an arbor with 4 kiwi. (two male two female). One of them is vining up like crazy but the others have not started yet. They were planted about 6 months ago. Karen
kwetz
South Venice, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 2, 2006
7:43 PM

Post #2458965

Our last 2 winters have been real mild so you did not get enough cold to cause them to flower. But look on the bright side, our papaya's are huge now ;)

JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 3, 2006
12:05 PM

Post #2461027

I've got one kiwi that I bought on eBay a couple of years ago that remains in the pot -- waiting for some free moments when I find enough time to build a trellis for it. I keep it in my greenhouse during the winter in order to ensure it doesn't freeze in the pot and it is doing well and recently was potted up to give it some more root growing space.

I didn't realize that both male and female plants were needed for fruit, so I now will need to collect some more kiwis or get some seed to start some. I'm not sure the plants will survive our winters without a good heavy blanket to cover them on the coldest nights, which can be 28 F or colder a couple of times during December/January.

I'll check out the links provided and hopefully someday get my kiwi in the ground and find it some mates!

Jeremy
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 3, 2006
11:38 PM

Post #2463930

DW,

I have seen kiwi growing in CA in Oakland, the SF Peninsula and Chico area (Orland), they grow them like the were giant grape vines. Cutting back hard in winter to shorten the vine and leaving about 1 meter of last years growth.

Do yours lose their leaves? I was wondering if they get enough chill here near the coast. I know inland and north they should, it is chilly out there in winter.

If you take the cuttings, when dormant, stick them in some good potting soil, keep moist, not wet. Set them in a shady place and some of them will root. I had friends who did it with great success.

here is some wallpaper from Largo

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dwallace59
Bradenton, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 6, 2006
10:59 AM

Post #2473497

Dale,

They did not loose their leaves until spring. I even had pulled off several of the older leaves. I will try to root some cuttings later this summer. Below is picture of the trellis.

DW

Thumbnail by dwallace59
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Florida Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Florida Gardening Magazine - does anyone here subscribe? JaxFlaGardener 58 Apr 16, 2013 7:48 PM
Native Plant (wanted) Botanyguy 16 Jun 6, 2008 6:20 PM
Duranta budgielover 26 Jul 21, 2008 10:36 PM
Jeremy's Mystery sugarweed 11 Jun 12, 2011 9:23 PM
Do Tall Bearded Iris grow in Florida? JaxFlaGardener 67 Jun 20, 2008 6:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America