Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Gingers: Dichorisanda pendula

Communities > Forums > Gingers
bookmark
Forum: GingersReplies: 9, Views: 158
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

July 4, 2006
1:11 PM

Post #2465539

Drooping Blue ginger-but not really a true ginger...Picked this baby up at My Paradise nursery near Dayton,Texas.

Thumbnail by Moodene
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tigerlily123
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2006
10:20 AM

Post #2469178

Moodene-how much sun are you going to give your buddy?? I have one, but it only is getting some filtered am sun, and I am thinking that it may need more? Also have you ever tried to propagate it from cuttings, and if so, where on the stem do you try it? Thanks...
birdlady_liz
Viera, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 6, 2006
6:30 AM

Post #2473330

Hi Tigerlily,
I don't know about Texas but here in central Fla I grow mine with morning sun but it fries in the afternoon sun between 1 and 4pm.
Just like Dichorisandra thyrsiflora you can divide it and if you do cuttings they seem to do better for us laying them on their sides instead of sticking them vertically. Do you grow yours in the ground there?
Liz
tigerlily123
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 6, 2006
9:56 AM

Post #2473429

Yes, its in the ground. I know its not cold hardy here, but I put in all these gardens of cold hardy tropicals and stuck this one in as well, thinking that I could propagate it before the frosts, or dig it back up and repot it and put it in the grhouse over the winter. I also needed some shade plants for one of the gardens :) Looking at the stems, it doesn't seem conducive to stem cuttings, your idea of horizontal cuttings seems more likely-thanks!
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 22, 2008
2:25 PM

Post #5142081

Mine came back from the dead...lol...I love the blue color...Mine is planted in morning sun but afternoon shade...

Thumbnail by Moodene

Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 22, 2008
2:26 PM

Post #5142084

Close up of the bloom..

Thumbnail by Moodene

Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 22, 2008
2:27 PM

Post #5142087

pretty blue!!

Thumbnail by Moodene

maggidew
(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 25, 2008
10:54 PM

Post #5467197

My blue doesn't look that good right now. The plant is fine, but the flowers are smaller than they were earlier in the year and are less intense, more purple in the blue now. Do you think that's from the heat? It surely blooms a long time, maybe the flowers will get a bit bigger and bluer again in the cooler weather?

The other thing I thought of is that our soil is more acid, would it be beneficial to raise the soil pH?

Thumbnail by maggidew

TrixieM
Mc Call Creek, MS

August 28, 2008
1:47 AM

Post #5476440

How big does this one get? I just discovered that I have it! Yea!

Thanks to my friend, Barbara Ward.

Thumbnail by TrixieM

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

August 28, 2008
5:33 PM

Post #5478945

Great fine i never seen these before very pretty blue!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gingers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Costus Raspberry Yogurt-pic Moodene 8 Jul 15, 2009 12:26 AM
Stumped by non-blooming butterfly gingers smartdog 20 Mar 13, 2007 10:09 PM
Oh That Fragrance! Xeramtheum 43 Sep 17, 2008 1:08 AM
Costus asplundii - first photo of flowers gingersrus 11 Jan 2, 2009 3:26 PM
Anyone Know This Ginger? skaz421 11 Jun 23, 2007 2:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America