From Mesa Verde to Arches

Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

Here are some pics of my recent travel to the four corners areas. This includes Mesa Verde N.P. in Colorado, Natural Bridges N.M. in Utah and Arches N.P. also in Utah.

The Four Corners monument area

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

The Four Corner monument

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

This is our campground in Cortez, Co.

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

Cliff Palace in Mesa Verde N.P., Co.

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

Cliff Palace

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

Close up of a Cliff Palace room

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

Visitors to Cliff Palace

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Very nice! Hope you enjoyed yourself there!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Trent,
Those are incredibly photos of the Cliff Palace. If I wanted to do a search on that location is that what I would put in the search bar? "Cliff Palace?"

Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

Thanks, Pepper! Had a blast there. Didn't want to return home.

Hi Chantell! Glad you found my new thread. Cliff Palace is the most famous and largest ruins in Mesa Verde National Park. You might find more informations if you put in "Mesa Verde N.P." Have you ever been there before?

Trent

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Nope never...I'm just in awe viewing the formations!!!

Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

This is my first time there. I enjoyed it a lot. Amazing and clever how these people built their homes like that.

Other cliff dwellings in Mesa Verde.

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

Spruce Tree House, third largest ruins in Mesa Verde.

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

A closer view of the Spruce Tree House.

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

This is one of the three bridges in Natural Bridges National Monument. This is in southeastern Utah.

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

Owachomo bridge in Natural Bridges N.M.

Thumbnail by cacti_lover

Those are soo neat! I hope to get back out west again to look at all the neat natural wonders. I was out west 3 years ago but just mostly drove thru. And that was only because I wasn't driving!! If I had been driving i would have had to stop to look at everything! LOL

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Trent - just awesome!!! Not hi-jacking but thought I'd add one more natural bridge to your beautiful ones...here's Aruba's last year before it collapsed. Not the best time of day for lighting...but wasn't my time table...LOL

Thumbnail by Chantell
Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

Thanks Pepper. Yeah, the West is rich with history and beautiful natural wonders in isolation waiting to be discovered. I love to drive all over the West and see so many different things. You'll need a very long vacation to stop and see everything, something I would love to do.

Thanks Chantell! Hi-jack away. I don't mind at all. I love it when other people share their pictures here. That's a very nice pic. Too bad that bridge collapsed. But hey, we get to see it here before it's gone.

In the mean time, here is Wilson Arch.

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Wow!! About how tall and wide is that, Trent?

Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

Hi Chantell,
I'm not sure about the dimension of the opening. Judging from seeing people standing below the arch before this picture was taken, I'd say the opening was about 40 to 50 feet tall and twice as wide. This arch sits by the roadside of hwy 191.

Trent

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Incredible!! Love natural formations!

Chantell, you said it best.

Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

I agree with both of you. Nature is incredible! Wish I have two months of vacation, so I can drive all over the 48 states and see all the natural wonders.

Here's Delicate Arch, perhaps the most famous arch in Utah. It's on their license plate.

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

A more distance view of Delicate Arch.

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Beautiful, Trent...just beautiful. I find the most difficult aspect of taking those type of pics is trying to get one where there are no people. I can't tell you how long I stood in the sand waiting to get a clear shot at the angle I wanted of Aruba's natural bridge with no one walking over it!!!

Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

Thanks Chantell. That's true! I was so lucky that no one was standing under that arch when I took that picture. There were about 50 or so people around that area that day. Glad your Aruba bridge came out great. Worth the waiting, huh?

Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

This is Skyline Arch.

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

This is Landscape Arch. It's the longest arch in the park and very fragile too!

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I have unlimited patience for the right "shot" - can't say that about all aspects of life though...LOL
Those are great...that Landscape Arch - yup, fragile looking is the right word...whew!

Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

Glad you have plenty of patience regarding that aspect, Chantell.
They said this arch in on the verge of collapsing. I hope it'll stay that way for awhile longer. I'm going to miss it if it's gone.

Trent

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Do they say why? Is it thinning with time or just the grounds movement causing cracks?

I was wondering about that too. It seems alot of natural features are having problems like that.

Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

The main reason is old age. It is weathering away probably by frost wedging and sand blasting. The thinest part is barely enough to support the weight and span. So it's a matter of time when gravity brings it down. Sad, but true.

Here are the North and South Windows.

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Looks like a pair of sunglasses almost... :)

Looks like the mask Robin wears in Batman and Robin.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Okay, when can I go????????? Have always wanted to see the Mesa Verde and your photos are just stunning. Perhaps one of these days. I think being out west is the most beautiful of all places.
Chantelle, I chuckled when I saw the Natural Bridge in Aruba. We were there in 1999 I believe and the most difficult problem I had taking a shot was getting one without garbage and trash in it, the ground was just covered with debris during our visit.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

UGH!! Debris? See THAT'S just sinful!! Bad enough when people stand on the dang thing when I'm trying to get a "nature" shot...if there was trash all over...I would so not be a happy camper!!

Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

Chantell and Pepper, it does look like a pair of sunglasses or Robin's mask! It also reminds me of two eyes of some monster and that mound in the middle is the nose. I hate it when people litter. It shows how much they disrespect the land.

Haighr, plan a vacation and go. I think the best time to go is mid to late spring. The West is my favorite. I love to be in the middle of no where and just be in touch with nature. It often brings me a sence of peace that is hard to find and often lost in the cities.

Turret Arch

Thumbnail by cacti_lover
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Amen!!! I find that peace while snorkling...

Thumbnail by Chantell

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images