Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Morning Glories: Any idea why this won't bloom?

Communities > Forums > Morning Glories
bookmark
Forum: Morning GloriesReplies: 22, Views: 398
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
TessC
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2006
7:35 PM

Post #2466968

Hi everyone!

I've been watching this forum and drooling over your beautiful pics, while waiting...waiting...waiting for my own to bloom. I planted them about 3 months ago, and it took a little while to figure out that they didn't like the 7ft cedar fence at all, so I stapled up the bamboo and dropped down several strings.

They climbed right up and look healthy- the leaves are HUGE! But not a single flower. There's a big live oak in front and to the side, so it gets about half a day's worth of sun, but I figured I might have to wait until the MG reached the top of the fence- which it did about a month ago, and is now even drooping down the back.

I didn't plant anything fancy- a seed mix from Loggee's, I think. Sorry I can't be more specific about what's actually out there.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance! :)

First pic is a closeup up the leaves, the second is of the whole enchilada.

Thumbnail by TessC
Click the image for an enlarged view.

TessC
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2006
7:36 PM

Post #2466971

Thanks again!

Thumbnail by TessC

Janett_D
Gamleby
Sweden
(Zone 7a)

July 4, 2006
7:50 PM

Post #2467027

Oh I like your enchilada :0)) even if it doesn't flower yet. Did you fertilise it ? then that can be the cause of the non flowering problem you have. From what i have learned ...don't fertilise MG:S they tend to just grow like nuts and doesn't have time to flower, but give it time and I am sure you will get flowers too.
Janett
Gerris2
Wilmington, DE
(Zone 7a)

July 5, 2006
2:07 AM

Post #2468295

If you'd like a few Star of India or Blue Silk JMG seeds to try, let me know, I'll send them out to you. There is still time to get them in the ground and get flowers, especially where you are located.

Joseph
gardener2005
Baton Rouge area, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2006
2:19 AM

Post #2468339

I`d like to see an update once you get some blooms. It might even possibly be because it is a variety that normaly takes a little longer.

If it is like the heavenly blue I grew it will take longer but then once it does bloom it will stay in full bloom until frost.
TessC
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2006
3:42 PM

Post #2470029

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, much appreciated!

When I look back at that photo, I realize that I really am much too lienient a plant mommy...I just let it go wherever it likes...lol...I should take it firmly in hand, and show it who's boss. Oh, nevermind, it already knows that as long as I'm waiting desperately for blooms, it's got the upper hand...lol

Janett- nope, no fertilizer. I'd been checking the boards here before I planted, so I knew better than that. I didn't even fertilize the palm that's in front of it, preferring to have that grow a little more slowly while the MGs got off to a start. There is a hydrangia about 6 feet away that gets very babied (the only way to keep it alive in the heat/drought), and I suppose there could have been a little runoff, though.

Joseph- what a very generous offer, I'd love to give them a try! I'll send you a dmail with info. Thanks much!
croclover
Lake Forest, CA
(Zone 10a)

July 5, 2006
4:33 PM

Post #2470209

Hi Tess-

I had a sick and undernourished MG (indica) that was sneaking through the fence from my neighbor's. I fed it baby food- pureed bananas and oranges and within a week I had buds and in less than two weeks I had blooms.
TessC
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2006
4:39 PM

Post #2470241

Baby food?! I certainly wouldn't have thought of that one, but I'd be happy to give it a try...
croclover
Lake Forest, CA
(Zone 10a)

July 5, 2006
4:43 PM

Post #2470259

Well, I guess the potassium is something they love, and I didn't have any potassium lying around- that is until I thought about my son's baby food- here's a shot of some of my indicas...

Thumbnail by croclover

TessC
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

July 5, 2006
4:59 PM

Post #2470307

oh my...drool!

Like I said, happy to try it, I'll pick some up later and keep my fingers crossed. Did you work it into the soil or just spoon it over the base?
croclover
Lake Forest, CA
(Zone 10a)

July 5, 2006
7:04 PM

Post #2470827

I just flung it at the bases of the runners and then watered it in. This indica isn't the sick one though.
revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

July 15, 2006
4:15 PM

Post #2508709

I have three Wine and Roses MGs, and they had one bloom when i first transplanted them, but nothing since. Beats me! I planted them with a jackmanii superba clematis so that the clematis would look like it had leaves this summer. Well, the MGs are doing that, all right! Now I'm hoping for some blooms.

It's been alternately hot (100+) and cold (58) around here with hot predominating right now. You'd think they'd be blooming their heads off!

Judith

Thumbnail by revclaus

TessC
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 11, 2006
11:05 PM

Post #2612430

Gardner asked for an update, so here are the latest pics:

Still growing like crazy- much bigger after just a month...

Thumbnail by TessC

TessC
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 11, 2006
11:08 PM

Post #2612438

In fact, it's started to climb the live oak and elderberry that's over there. The elderberry needs to come down anyway, it grows at an unbelievable rate.

At the center/top of the photo, you can see the beginning- it goes up another 5 feet from there!

Thumbnail by TessC

TessC
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 11, 2006
11:11 PM

Post #2612445

I don't know if it was the extra ooomph from the baby food, but, it's got ambitions.

Ambitions, but no flowers...until today!

It's overcast today, and I didn't take this until lunchtime, but even at that hour, they're an amazing magenta color...let's hope this is the first (and second) of many!

The seeds Joseph sent (thanks again!), I planted in peat pots and they're now on that right side, growing along, but not yet visable over the overgrown grass.

Thumbnail by TessC

RON_CONVOLVULACEAE
Netcong, NJ
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2006
12:52 AM

Post #2612721

TessC - Glad to see the Ipomoea nil plant(the one with the multi-lobed leaves) producing blooms...the other species with the smooth heart shaped leaves looks like an Ipomoea tricolor...you can wait it out until it blooms or you might try out a specific type of fertilizer like a Phosphorus based Bloom Booster fertilizer...the Phosphorus fertilizer tends to induce flowering...

Nitrogen in excessive levels can delay flowering ...the term 'fertilizer' is sometimes used as a 'fuzzy' word that can be somewhat misleading as the term fertilizer includes a wide spectrum of elements in the macronutrient and micronutrient categories...each of these different elements has different,but interrelated functions,when used as a group and can exert specific accentuated or different influences when used alone...

So,the main point being that fertilizer doesn't = Nitrogen only(!)...

There are a total of from 16 to 20 elements that are considered essential to plant growth...the exact number of micronutrients considered as essential to complete a full cycle of growth will vary according to the species of plant...

TTY,...

Ron

This message was edited Aug 13, 2006 12:51 AM
Gerris2
Wilmington, DE
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2006
1:30 AM

Post #2612847

Glad you got seed germination success, Tess, hope they flower up fast for you!

Joseph
revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2006
4:36 AM

Post #2613597

Still no flowers on mine, but congrats on yours!
imzadi
Jackson, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 16, 2006
2:02 PM

Post #2628223

i dont have flowers either thinking of trying pureed bananas as stated above.
revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 17, 2006
4:32 AM

Post #2630685

Frustrating, isn't it? I'm going to try Messenger tomorrow.
imzadi
Jackson, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 18, 2006
2:07 AM

Post #2633547

i tried messenger on my woodrose but still nothing. its really fustrating .
revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

September 9, 2006
4:41 AM

Post #2704946

I finally got blooms! One yesterday and two today. I did put more Messenger on, and I fertilized with a high-flower fertilizer. I don't know what did it, but it responded. They're beautiful! I hope I get more.

Thumbnail by revclaus

FrangipaniAz
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 11, 2006
6:18 PM

Post #2712734

I love the bright colors... that bright blue one is phenomenal...
Brittany

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Morning Glories Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Wild Morning Glory. poppysue 12 Feb 9, 2012 10:32 PM
Help! Teens making MG tea. ? getting high! help mingsmimi 5 Jul 18, 2009 4:33 PM
Now ain't that purdy?! (Morning Glory pic) Seedsower 48 Mar 9, 2007 10:29 AM
Ipomoea Seeds 101 QueenB 27 Nov 19, 2008 1:03 PM
Wild Potato Vine - Need help with pollenation KevinTernes 22 Aug 22, 2007 10:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America