Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Brugmansias: shipping cuttings

Communities > Forums > Brugmansias
bookmark
Forum: BrugmansiasReplies: 17, Views: 201
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2001
6:42 PM

Post #8891

I asked crestedchik to do an experiment with me. I asked her to trade cuttings with me, but I asked if she wouldn't send mine priority, but simply first class. I was willing to take a risk. She took a nice cutting and put it in moss (she used damp spanish moss) and put it in a baggie with leaves out, just like most of us usually mail. She put it in an envelope with cardboard to keep it from getting broken, and it's here and it looks just like it has been sent priority!!! I'm so very tickled!!! Now, I would never send anyone cuttings like this unless they were in agreement, but she could have (and offered to) replaced it and still come out cheaper. But I had to let you now that it worked!!!!!!!
Now, if anyone else is willing to send me cuttings so I can see just how many times this works, just let me know :) LOL!!
Thank you Karyn, and I'm going to try and keep the spanish moss alive. Maybe we can trade again, and you'll get it back.
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

July 20, 2001
7:45 PM

Post #97238

tig, how many days did it take? i have often thought it would be fine to use regular mail and sometimes faster.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2001
9:22 PM

Post #97283

3 days. It wouldn't always be that way, but neither is priority.

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2001
11:28 PM

Post #97340

It was 3 days from New York to Georgia.Thats pretty darn good.I shipped 2 peacocks from here to Virginia ,Postal Express ,$30.00 postage and it took 2 days.But in those same 2 days I had also shipped some hatching eggs to Texas they got there in 2 days too.But they went Priority.Its all a gamble
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2001
3:51 PM

Post #97740

Hey maybe we could start using the moss that grows on sunny side off trees. I was watching a gardening program a while back and it told how to propagate this. You gather a small amount and put some water in a mixer and mix it up and then take the water to a shady place and pour it out. This is not a joke. Jim

PS I know I have been spending to much time at Mcdonalds and In front of the t.v.

This message was edited Saturday, Jul 21st 11:53 AM
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 21, 2001
4:21 PM

Post #97764

I heard mixing it with buttermilk.
MsBatt
Florence, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2001
12:44 AM

Post #98004

I tried this too, last week, but with some rooted cuttings. They actually arrived abaout as fasy as priority, and never wilted. When straight into the ground and are happy as clams, both people say. One pack was mailed one the 16th, arrived on the 17th!
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2001
12:58 AM

Post #98014

First Class mail IS priority. You can only send under 1 pound first class - then it has to be priority because of the weight. tiG it's supposed to always be that way... I know it's not but it should be. If you send a large padded envelope (or a small under 1lbs. box) first class it gets treated the same as priority mail and worked right in with the priority mail.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2001
1:13 AM

Post #98026

Poppysue, do you mail first class or priority? Cause there is such a huge difference in price!!! I know that first class used to be priority, but I'm wondering if the distribution centers still treat them the same. The PO makes most of their money on priority, and I wish I knew someone that works in distribution to get the story.
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2001
2:01 AM

Post #98063

The last time I mailed at the P.O. I told the clerk I would bring her a Brugmansia the next time some rooted. I might have one that is about rooted and ready for this lady. I will ask her how to find this information if she doesn't know. Jim
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

July 22, 2001
2:10 AM

Post #98068

i had rooted brugs sit at the PO from Sunday to the next Saturday. all plants are okay! (the clerk told me when she handed it to me it had logged in on 7/8). i was in worse shape than the plants, couldn't believe they let it sit there with me in every day asking if the packages were out yet!
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2001
2:21 AM

Post #98072

I think the woody ones would certainly do much better than thin green ones, and would never send first class if my trader didn't want me to. I was just so curious, that I was willing to wind up with nothing just to find out:)
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 22, 2001
1:21 PM

Post #98199

I always send priority or global priority. I have recieved Brugmansia from England sent regular mail before though that arrived in 2 weeks or so just fine. You can send cuttings wrapped in wet paper towels in the states, but it has been my experience that if the cuttings are going to spend an inordinate amount of time in boxes before they arrive it is best to send in perlite that has been soaked in water for several hours and then drained. Of course the leaves are best pulled off as well. Ahh, and always make sure the cutting has at least one or two nodes before you ship it...
Brugmansia
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 22, 2001
1:41 PM

Post #98212

I had never heard that before, that's good to know!!!! I learn something everyday!
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 22, 2001
11:51 PM

Post #98542

I mail live plants priority unless they are dormant roots or bulbs. I think most traders expect you to mail their plants Priority mail. If the package is delayed for whatever reason I think the trader on the receiving end would be upset to find it was mailed first class. Regardless if the estimated delivery time is the same as a priority package.

This is the link for Domestic Postal Rates & Fees which will explain First Class mail vs. Priority mail - (but not very well)
http://new.usps.com/cgi-bin/uspsbv/scripts/content.jsp?D=9743&B=Mail_or_Ship&A=B&U=X&U1=B&U2=H

A small 6 ounce package going from Maine to Missouri would cost $1.49 to mail first class - with an estimated delivery time of 3 days.

The same 6 ounce package mailed from Maine to Missouri would be $3.50 mailed priority with an estimated shipping time of 2 days.

Now if I were to mail this same 6 ounce package from Maine to Mass - the estimated delivery would be 2 days for both first class & priority.

So according to the rate calculator we can conclude that it would be safe to mail First class provided you are mailing within your postal mailing zone - for me that's New England.

We all know the Postal Service fails to meet their estimated delivery time more often than not but according to their rate calculator - that's how it's supposed to work.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 23, 2001
12:27 AM

Post #98546

I agree with shipping priority, I wasn't clear if you were telling me otherwise:) slow here sometimes!!! LOL!
Like I said, this was only an experiment!!

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 23, 2001
12:45 AM

Post #98548

I mailed out a box of bulbs on Monday..Being bulbs, I ask for just regular mail, because no real rush..It was only .05 cents cheaper than Priority ...Go figure this one..LOL
Larkie
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 23, 2001
1:23 PM

Post #98677

Larkie,
Now the important thing there is that you did save money. Boy you guys tickle me pink. And to think I thought I was bad.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America