Photo by Melody

Sewing and Quilting: Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern????

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 17, Views: 319
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
red_princess_71
Lilesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

July 5, 2006
9:12 PM

Post #2471219

I am looking for a pattern of a shopping cart pattern like this http://www.handmade4baby.com/catalog.php?category=5 i need to get a couple of them but the prices are outrageous and i know how to sew and my mom is a extremely good sewer, so i was thinking if i could possibly find a pattern for this between the 2 of us we can get some made.

Thanks,

Char
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 5, 2006
9:45 PM

Post #2471363

Hum, take your tape measure to the nearest grocery store parking lot and take measurements. make a small drawing to keep your measurements straight with.
Go back home.
Then take a full sheet of newspaper, like 2 pages wide and refer to your measurements. Draw and cut a pattern or two. Tape togeather where you would sew it. Be sure and leave a channel to put some polyfill in around the top. You could even take that pattern back by the Grocery store to see if it fit.
Get some $1. Fabric at WM and make a test one. Make a tote to carry it in out of same fabric.
If you sew much I have the faith you can do it yourself, maybe even better.
Sidney
wbaine
Buda, TX

July 29, 2006
4:18 AM

Post #2561824

I bought a pattern for a shopping cart cover from http://www.makethemyourself.com and it's pretty much like the one you show at your link. The instructions also tell you how to make it reversable. It comes with leg flaps so your baby doesn't touch the cart anywhere. You can also make matching pillows to help hold up smaller children. I really like it and I've made several for friends and family.

I'm attaching the photo from teh site.

Thumbnail by wbaine
Click the image for an enlarged view.

nanners1955
Concord, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2006
11:55 PM

Post #2626175

I bought one fromJoanns when they were doing there 1.99 promo which happens about once a month. Cant remember if it was Mc calls or Simplicity

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 16, 2006
12:38 AM

Post #2626323

nanners it is Simplicity i saw it today and thought "hey there is a thread there at DG " looks like you already found it
sue
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 17, 2006
3:46 PM

Post #2631662

Serious question here: With all the anti-bacterial wipes and other protections out there, aren't these kids going to grow up without resistance to common illnesses?
nanners1955
Concord, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2006
4:27 PM

Post #2631791

Joann's is having dollar patterns the 25th thru 28 I think. Not sure so check the flyer. I like looking at sewing patterns.com so I can get the pattern numbers before I get there
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

August 27, 2006
3:49 PM

Post #2664584

GW...I was thinking the same thing...A little germs are good for one...just take a anti-bacterial wipe and wipe the handle! (me'thinks I am in trouble now!).JMHO

Jo
wbaine
Buda, TX

September 7, 2006
10:15 PM

Post #2701437

Most grocery chains admit to only washing down the carts 1 or 2 times a year and when Inside Edition did a investigation on shopping carts of major chains they found all kinds of viruses, fecal matter, blood, and salmanella (misspelled).
red_princess_71
Lilesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2006
10:30 AM

Post #2702834

I dont know about all of you who have raised your kids back in the 70's & 80's but if i have a chance to stop my child from getting sick I'ma gonna take it...besides i do believe that there are "New" germs around now then there were when i was little 36 yrs ago...Now I am not one of those compulsive mom's that wipes everything down and keep clean naps in my pocket. But i do care around a little bottle of that germ x for like after i pump gas or stop at a yard sale and such.However with all that said i am gonna protect my lil ones from getting as much as I can. I know they will get germs in school and at friends house and just playing outside, so if and where ic an help i will do so..
Please anyone or everyone don't take offence to what i said, this is just my humble opinion and was not meant to sound mean or offensive.

Have a good friday,

Char
akatia82
Barrington, NH

March 20, 2007
2:44 PM

Post #3302103

I agree Char. I dont mind my kids catching the normal "cold and flu" germs that are around. But like you said, there are many more things to catch than there were 30 years ago. Also, after having read the reports from 60 Minutes and Inside Edition, as well as Primetime, I CERTAINLY dont want my toothless baby sucking on fecal matter. I dont call that normal day to day contact germs. Not in MY environment anyway. I am blown away that some mothers dont envision the type of germs, viruses, fecal matter, blood, etc that are on these shopping carts. There are enough things in his world that will endanger them, I dont plan on that being one of them.
MsKatt
Mid-Michigan, MI
(Zone 5b)

March 20, 2007
2:51 PM

Post #3302127

When my DD was an infant, I think I was the first person in my area to have one of the shopping cart buddies. People would stop me all the time and ask me where I got it. If I would have had the time back then, I could have sewn them up and sold them on the spot, lol!

Now, I believe in letting kids get dirty, not running to the doc for every sniffle, etc. But shopping cart germs are NASTY! Even before I had kids I would carry babywipes in my purse for the sole purpose of wiping the handle. When I was about 12 I saw a nasty (I'm assuming homeless) man pushing a cart through the grocery store. He coughed up his spleen in his hand a proceeded to wipe it all along the handle. I just about died on the spot. Ever since then...lol

I also take wipes with me when we go to a fast food joint, I always give the table a wipe because my son ALWAYS drops fries on the table and no matter how many times I tell him not to eat them, he always does. Gross. :)

red-princess, if you end up making one, make several and use them for gifts or sell them. There's a huge market for them.

Michelle

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 18, 2007
12:24 AM

Post #3869204

WOW... I can see some potential for a little spending money here! AND I've been wondering what I could make my DIL after the baby comes... NOW I know! I'm sure she'll have a nursery theme all picked out etc but this gives me that chance to make something more generic and useful IN ADVANCE of picking the "theme".

Thanks for the idea!
Pat (Soon to be GRANDMA Pat)

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 18, 2007
4:56 PM

Post #3871241

Ok. I was just about sold on "a few germs won't kill 'em..." until the part about the coughing man! I'll need to get several for the new babies in our family!!!
nkicklighter
Dorchester, SC

November 19, 2007
2:14 PM

Post #4209560

I tried making these "cart cuddlers" years ago - made some really cute ones and gave for baby shower gifts so they would be seen by others. Unfortunately, I did not find the right market for sales, so my efforts went to nothing. I did make up my own pattern based on one that my niece had for her baby. She used it when she went visiting where there was no high chair as well as in the shopping cart. If you expect a money maker - - - - well, good luck!
Nana

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2009
4:41 AM

Post #6941078

http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/cart_cover.html

Googled shopping cart cover and found this site, has easy directions.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2009
2:05 PM

Post #6942015

At least here...its almost impossible to take your own cart out...they want to do it for you. If you can sneak out on your own, they will come get it out of the cart corral. For most carts, that means the employees have already given it a good touching and handling first. They can have just as many germs...but I figure they get the brunt of it.
Ive never wiped things down, it really could become an obcession. I mean the kids take their hands and run them down every product at their level. They touch so many things...I would be wearing gloves. Then their are the rest of us..touching with germs...they are just everywhere...so I just take my chances.
What does bother me, is the pharmacy in the grociery store. Right inbetween the cheese and the checkout. You have to walk by there...I swear I hold my breath. All those peole are not waiting there because they feel great. I will admit to having put something over the cart handles in the winter so I didnt have to touch a flu germ. I guess maybe I will start grabing a cloth...see how it goes.
I do believe you build up resistance...I dont like that. Gotta be able to fight those germs. Or so I have it in my mind.
mariannebags
sydney (menai)
Australia

January 4, 2010
9:44 AM

Post #7425857

Dear garden glory,
I tend to agree with you. I have a baby nearly 10 months from second marriage and a 16 year old and 12 year old from first. I also did microbiology 20 years ago to become a science teacher and i have to say i am a hippy compared to most of the young mums because i don't worry about passive exposure to germs too much.I've aways though you get thousands more germs from kissing your granny than from an non-biological item like a shopping trolley. Maybe i'm living a fool paradise, but my first 2 are healthy as anything, no allergies, asthma, etc and here's hoping baby will prove me right again !

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM
Making a Bedspread for a King Size Bed plantladylin 29 Apr 4, 2009 10:58 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America