Rangoon Creeper

Key West, FL(Zone 11)

Quisqualis indica or Rangoon Creeper
The newest addition to my scented collection. I was looking for something for full sun with an unusual fragrance and this is what I found .
it's still in its plastic pot right now so I brought inside and the whole room is filled with a sweet musky melon like smell.
I cant wait to repot it and let it take over the trellis.

Thumbnail by celt33040
South West, LA(Zone 9a)

OOOOH I want that one too! Take a big wiff and blow it thru the screen for me! Iv got myself so tied up in Brug addiction Ive had time for little else.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

MMMM can smell that Rangoon now with a little salt air in the background. Thanks, Elaine

Viera, FL(Zone 9b)

I love my Rangoon, No one around here even realized it grew outside here. I had someone at the nursery today who brought one back from Costa Rica and she put it in a big pot. I told her come look out back and see mine, way up into the live oak. She was so happy when she found out she could put it in the ground. I'm actually bordering 8b.
Liz

Key West, FL(Zone 11)

Sounds great , is it getting much direcvt sun.
Any Pictures ?

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I take it,that you can't winter it in 7b. Mike

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

I love the Rangoon Creeper. I have just never had the nerve to leave it outside over winter. This is day one blooms.

Thumbnail by picabo
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I've always seen it listed as only being hardy to zone 10, I do know a few people in zone 9 who've had them winter over, but if you're any lower than that there's a good chance it won't make it. I'm chicken so I keep mine in the greenhouse for the winter.

Key West, FL(Zone 11)

I just got back from a trip and after a quick investigation of the garden I seem to have lots of seed pods developing on my rangoon and it seems happy in its new home. Im not sure if any body wants some but I think im about to have my first seed harvest..

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

I have seen several people asking about plants on another thread. Maybe they would like seeds.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/582009/

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I already have seedlings off of mine Picabo! The plants been pretty heavily sold at the nurseries here for about 3 years now. It is the most intoxicating of scents--but 'musky' would not be the word I would use to describe it.

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Beautiful!! I can almost smell it.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I found out that the seed pod- is the seed- plant the whole pod. You have no idea how many I tried to dry out, then open...LOL.
Rj

Mine are just 'popping up'. I assume from last summer, kept snug under all that mulch. That's why the far side of that pic has not been weeded--lol. I need to see what's under there!

Key West, FL(Zone 11)

Cheers RJ
This is a first for me....so if you don't mind..... could you help me out here

I am guessing that these are the pods you are talking about.

Do they need to mature on the plant or do i pick them off now?
l already have some requests for seeds by dmail so do i dry them first and how?
Can I send them to people now and let them dry them?
Last one
Will a pot/seed take off if I just plant one right in the same pot with mother , or do i have to start yet another project?

Thank You
Neil

DMG, maybe musk isn't the right word but its very a mellow heavy melon fragrance , unlike the sweet sharper ones Im used to with tropicals.

Thumbnail by celt33040
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey Neil-
I think the pod/seed I've noticed is mature when it is a brown color. Having said this, I must admit that I only accidentally found out that the pod WAS the seed, when I was clearing an area the rangoon creeper occupied, and I found the rangoon sprout emerged from the whole pod.

Here is the photo- you can see the seed is brown, and the seedling sprouting right out of the whole pod.

I can imagine you could plant the seed in the mother pot, but I think you might enjoy better success and eniornmental control for the seedling if you plant it in a small pot.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Key West, FL(Zone 11)

What a great shot, thanks.

I'll wait till they're ready to drop off and hope it wont be hurricane winds that blow them away. Then its half for me and half to share.

Heres another pic, before i potted it.

Thumbnail by celt33040
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

If you knew how many of those I pried open trying to find seeds, you would fall off your couch laughing!

Midway, TX(Zone 8b)

I have a new Rangoon Creeper and it's in a pot right now. It looks great! I am also in zone 8b and would like to know if it would be safe to plant mine in the ground. I notice that some of you are from the Houston area.
I live halfway between Houston and Dallas.
Lin

See my garden diary 'Jeepers Creepers' Dancey--if you have questions, dmail me.

This message was edited Aug 8, 2006 5:57 PM

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Also my journal
http://davesgarden.com/journal/ed/index.php?tabid=2950
scroll down to quisqualis/rangoon creeper

Always in a role of learning on this plant
rj

The rangoons I've figured out--its the clero incisum that's got me scratching my head--although, obviously its growing well.

Key West, FL(Zone 11)

What's this about a double rangoon creeper. ?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

they sell those at www.topstropicals.com

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I think the correct link is http://www.toptropicals.com

Key West, FL(Zone 11)

I Just wanted to post an update on the creeper. I've never seen anything grow like it.

It's been in its new pot against a trellace now for about 8 weeks, and I've had to trim it twice already to get it growing in the direction I want. Right now it has so many blooms its unbelievable. The pictures are only from the front of the trellace, the back side has just as many blooms if not more and the whole front garden smells amazing when you get within 30ft of it .

i'll collect some more seeds this time, as I didn't have enough to go around last batch.

Thumbnail by celt33040
Key West, FL(Zone 11)

Sorry, don't know why it does that sometimes. Here's another.

Thumbnail by celt33040
Key West, FL(Zone 11)

and a close up.

Thumbnail by celt33040
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It is beautiful!
They do pretty good in pots once they are mature.
Mine has almost traversed the full length of the house, and is blooming alot, also producing seeds.

Houston, TX

I have seen a rangoon creeper with two or three trunks then the branches about 6 feet off the ground with the flowers. How does one prune the vine to make it into a tree?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Beautiful- my rangoon is extremely fragrant this year, seems more so than the past.

Rangoon tree? I think the biggest Rangoon I've seen is at "another place in time" here in Houston.
I bet they have to be pretty old.!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Seeds? Anyone with extras (raising hand and begging as always)???

West Central, FL(Zone 9b)

Chantell, mine still has blooms if I get seed I will send you some.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Missy...why didn't you tell me you wanted a Rangoon!!? I have a small one started...there was room in the box..
I have a funny story about the seeds. A few years ago, I kept seeing these fat little seed pods appear on the rangoon. I plucked a few and saved them, but it seemed like there were never any seeds in the pod. I pried a few open ..nothing..I did this for a couple of years, then one rainy spring I lost the rangoon in the back from flooding...all bummed out because it was a spectacular performer, I was clearing out the area..and of all things I found this little plant sprout growing amongst the leaves..I examined it and saw it was still attached to the seed pod, sort of looked like a small pecan (I'm always pulling those up everywhere) but the leaves didn't look like the pecan- and then the moment of revelation hit me...it was a ragoon, and .it wasn't a seed "pod" it was THE seed.. It sort of defies the normal vine seeding habit. I had no clue...

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Amazing how we learn things - isn't it? Truth be known - I'd hear ya'll discussing it over on the vine forum I think but I didn't know it was fragrant! Anything with a musky (not talking ferret musk here, though...LOL) or spicy scent gets my attention!!!

Houston, TX

I have 4 rangoon creepers and see the fairly large seeds diff. places in the yard. If I plant them will they come up?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I think so...I have a few growing in the front garden that fell from the vine..
I'd recommend a very light cover of soil...seems like they sprout from laying on top of the soil...at least in my limited experience

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

I have never seen seeds on my Creepers. I wonder if the growing season isn't long enough here. Both of my RCs are in full bloom I'll watch for seeds.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Mine are few and far between

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

I have had RC for many years. I'm in zone 8b and I leave it in the ground all year. It will die back and come July it is growing and blooming each year beautifully. I have a couple of plants and will send them if you will contact me.I have not noticed the seeds but mine are taken from the root of the mother plant. Elaine

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.