Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Trash to Treasure: Grapevine Baskets!

Communities > Forums > Trash to Treasure
bookmark
Forum: Trash to TreasureReplies: 15, Views: 339
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 7, 2006
7:55 PM

Post #2479171

Every fall I like to prune back my grapevines! Then I make baskets right there and then while the vines are still supple! I like to deco rate them with whatever is available! I happen to have an old Rabbit jacket that had seen better days and some wooden beads and of course it had to have feathers!!!!!

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 7, 2006
9:02 PM

Post #2479421

My grandma likes to make grapevine wreaths. She will finally start selling them later this year when she gets enough money to decorate them. Everyone has been after her for years to sell them and she finally agreed this year. Yipee!! Like your basket. Very neat.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2006
12:30 AM

Post #2480184

Thank you pepper23,
I used to make wreaths too but then so did everyone else aroun me ,so I had to come up with something uniquely me!! My baskets are one of a kind and I use a very unusual way of weaving the vines. all my baskets have a circular pattern in the weaving!
Congratulations to your Grandmother! I think it is never to late to enjoy your crafts enough to share with others! I know you are proud of her!!!
((E))
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2006
1:07 AM

Post #2480305

Ever thought of giving the baskets to the pets for homes? My cat would love your baskets. Tip it on its side and he would be there in a nano second to sniff it, climb in and get comfy! He loves baskets and my lap. And if he wants on my lap badly enough the only thing to keep him off is to stand up. He is very stubborn and spoiled. LOL. Keep up the good work! And keep having fun doing it!
One of these days I will get to post pics of the wreaths but I have to get another printer cause this one has permanent errors and has since I bought it and my computer is having problems also and it is only a few months old! Oh well.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2006
1:36 AM

Post #2480421

Hey good Idea Pepper!! I'll have to think on that one!!

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 8, 2006
1:40 AM

Post #2480437

Beautiful crafted basket. Unique idea you have there, hope your grapevine plant can keep up with your sales! LOL!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2006
1:50 AM

Post #2480475

My grandma doesn't have to worry about not having enough grapevines. Around here we have wild grapevines growing everywhere, plus she has a grapevine that is about 30 years old. We also have wild grapevines on our property.
barbur
Port Lavaca, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2006
4:58 AM

Post #2481193

Eufaula, I love it, you are very creative. My Mom would always tell us to, "use what you have," when we were working on a project that had a suppy list.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2006
1:46 PM

Post #2481773

Thanks Y'all, and I do use"what I have", LoL, My home is surrounded with Acres of wooded lands covered in Old Bullochs and Scupernong vines!! I also use honeysuckle Vines!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2006
1:57 PM

Post #2481805

Here is one of my older baskets , I use it for everything , right now it contains gourds Ill be using for some other of my craft projects!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 8, 2006
2:03 PM

Post #2481822

here this is a better picture!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 8, 2006
10:59 PM

Post #2483313

Great baskets! I told my grandma about your baskets this morning and you could see the wheels spinning in her eyes! She now has other ideas for the vines!!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

July 9, 2006
3:38 PM

Post #2485497

Yaaay! Go Granny,GoGranny,Go!!!!!!ooops thats me too!LOL
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 9, 2006
4:39 PM

Post #2485723

ROTFL!!
amandac
Halifax County
Canada

September 10, 2006
3:26 PM

Post #2709026

Eufaula:

I love your baskets, especially the one with the handle. How did you make them. I have grapevines this year and that a good idea!!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 10, 2006
10:49 PM

Post #2710251

Hi Amandac! Well its almost that time of year again here to trim them back! Grapevines that is. Most of my baskets are made by using very pliable vines meaning newly cut! I cut them back off the main vine right after the first frosts! This way the trimming doesnt hurt the mother Vine.
Then I use the vines as you would chrochet thread! My hands are the " Needles" ! I begin by making a Circle of vine at the end of a length of vine! Then I make a small loop next to the circle and push it through! I repeat this over and over shping the basket as I go!
I know it sounds confusing but if you have ever Chrocheted orknow some one who has it is very easy to figure out! You can do it too, and thanks for the compliment!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America