DH needs 3 weeks in SF for medical tx need housesitter?

Santa Barbara County, CA(Zone 9a)

UPDATE: We found a place!! (More info in my new post for 14 July.)

My husband needs radiation treatment at UCSF in San Francisco and will run from 24 July to 14 August at the latest. Treatment will be every weekday during this time, and will take about 1/2 hour; the rest of the day will be free. We need a place to stay during these 2-3 weeks. My DH is expected to feel tired from treatments, and he'll probably just want to take naps and watch TV in his free time. The American Cancer Society is working on finding us a place to stay, but it's difficult to find a hotel that is open to letting us stay for 3 weeks (most places offer about 3 complementary days or offer at best a 10% discount; while this is nice, it won't quite meet our needs for this particular trip, esp when you consider that we also have to pay parking fees, transportation and food costs). My husband's been off work for nearly a year, so we're on a tight budget.

Another DG member on the Prayer Request board suggested that I see if there's anyone on this Forum who lives in the City and needs a housesitter during that time. We are certainly willing and able to care for your inside and outside plants, fish, kitties, and other small critters (gerbils, rats, hamsters, etc.). We are both dependable, quiet, professional types who would respect and care for your home or apt. The wildest we would get is watching TV or reading a book. We also need a safe, free, and close place to park (DH can't walk far), and would hope that the place would be a fairly short taxi ride to the UCSF Mt. Zion campus at 1600 Divisadero. Oh yes, and we would need the place to not have many stairs (or have an elevator). A narrow Victorian will lots of stairs to the front door wouldn't work.

I realize this is a long shot, but you never know. Please send me a Dmail if you need a house/apt sitter during this time or if you have any tips or suggestions about housing for us. Thanks so much! ~~ Terri

This message was edited Jul 14, 2006 10:10 AM

Waaaay Down South, GA

Terri
I'm so glad you posted over here and do so hope that something will turn up for you and your DH.

For anyone that might be interested in why this is so important and what these two have been battling ... here's the link to the prayer thread. Her husband has been through so much. They are both an inspiration to everyone. :-)

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/586122/

101, Thanks for posting the link. I forgot to include it! ~Terri

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

Sorry to hear about your situation. You might try to look on CraigsList web site. They list a lot of temporary sublets for the San Francisco area. Some want house sitters in exchange for caring for cats, watering plants, etc.

Here is a link:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/sub/

People swear by CraigsList although I have not used it myself. I can only pass along the idea.

Thanks, sedum37. A friend suggested craigslist to me, and I do have an ad running there. No luck yet, but you never know. I appreciate your suggestion and help.

(BTW, my friend who suggested craigslist has found all kinds of wonderful things for her home on craigslist.)

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi Terracotta,
I'm in Sebastopol which is one hour north of SF, not particularly convenient but if nothing works out in the city you and your husband are welcome here. My son was in UCSF ten years ago for 2 brain surgeries and I so I am very aware of the expenses that come up that you wouldn't think of otherwise. there is a nice little guest house one block from UCSF where I stayed when he was in intensive care and I couldn't be in his room. The social worker told me about it.
My prayers are with you both, thankfully you are at a great medical facility. Please let me know if I can help in any way.
Sincerely, Selieta (Andrea)

Just wanted to let you all know that we found a place to stay while we're in SF. We'll be at Cathedral Hill Hotel, a nice place with a great staff. We are delighted (and relieved), and very grateful to the hotel owners for being so generous and to Denise at the American Cancer Society (ACS) for all her work to bring this about.

Thanks for your ideas, tips, and offers of housing. I really appreciate your help and concern.

P.S. If you ever need a hotel in SF, you know which hotel has a management with a heart of gold!

Waaaay Down South, GA

I'm so glad to read this. My prayers have continued to be with you and your husband. I will remember these kind people in my prayers, also.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.