Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Is this a hornet?

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 10, Views: 118
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2006
1:32 AM

Post #2483814

It has a scorpion tail!

I spotted it on my Phlox Nicki, there were flies too but I didn't realise the fly at the tip was glued on with a spider's web!

It landed on the leaf, then went under it and was eating a dead fly. I have read that wasps take insects back to the nest and eat them, regorging them to feed their young, although the adults are vegetarian. I have not found a wasp that has this type of tail.

It took no notice of me, I managed to get a few good close up shots.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2006
1:34 AM

Post #2483820

The underneath, it having it's meal of fly soup.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

paalexan
Las Cruces, NM

July 9, 2006
1:55 AM

Post #2483883

Scorpionfly, genus Panorpa. Weird little critters, not closely related to either hornets or flies (despite the name). This one is a male; the females lack the scorpion-like bit on the end that gave these guys their name.

Patrick Alexander
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2006
2:37 AM

Post #2484068

Thank you!

Would you say it's a Panorpa communis?

Just look at that pecker, more of a beak!

http://insektenfotos.de/insects_neuroptera_to_mecoptera.htm

Are these a rare 'creature'?

Thanks again!
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2006
2:57 AM

Post #2484191

I found a P. germanica, which is similar but there is less black on the wings.

http://www.nature-diary.co.uk/2005-07-11.htm

I will mark this solved, if anyone else should wish to give any more information on the habits of this creature please do.
paalexan
Las Cruces, NM

July 9, 2006
4:21 AM

Post #2484493

Panorpa communis is kinda what I was thinking from dinking around online a bit, but I really don't know anything about the various species of Panorpa. I haven't seen one in the US, but maybe they're more abundant places I haven't visited.

Patrick Alexander

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2006
4:57 AM

Post #2484592

Here is a nice picture of the Panorpa communis . Amazing little bugger. LOL It looks like it from a old Sci -fi movies.
http://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/bio/life/insecta/mecoptera/panorpidae/panorpa/communis-1mU.jpg

Patti

This message was edited Jul 8, 2006 11:59 PM
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2006
11:33 AM

Post #2484887

All Gods creatures...this is a handsome devil. Do they sting?
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2006
12:23 PM

Post #2484953

Patrick, I saw a few google images of others and none other than the germanica came close, they had different bodies.

Patti, nice? Wonderful detail yes! AArrrggghhhhhhhh! I think a new sci-fi movie would do well with this one! Can you see people glued to the leaves like those flies, with this enormous creature having a feast?

podster, handsome? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! They look to have a pincer arangement on the tail end, this pic shows it more clearly (I did say I got few!)

Thumbnail by wallaby1

rose318

rose318
(Patti) in Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2006
3:47 PM

Post #2485528

Well I think he pretty awesome. I have never seen one before until now.
Wallaby you need to find a movie producers , and have him use your idea and make millions. LOL
Patti
wallaby1
Lincoln
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2006
4:04 PM

Post #2485610

Patti, he is awesome, fearsome, unbelievable, but so REAL!

Now I have gone public with the idea I don't think I would make anything! Perhaps I need to develop my story telling skills and hand over the whole script? Well, it's not such a silly idea...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America