CLOSED: Is this a hornet?

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

It has a scorpion tail!

I spotted it on my Phlox Nicki, there were flies too but I didn't realise the fly at the tip was glued on with a spider's web!

It landed on the leaf, then went under it and was eating a dead fly. I have read that wasps take insects back to the nest and eat them, regorging them to feed their young, although the adults are vegetarian. I have not found a wasp that has this type of tail.

It took no notice of me, I managed to get a few good close up shots.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

The underneath, it having it's meal of fly soup.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Las Cruces, NM

Scorpionfly, genus Panorpa. Weird little critters, not closely related to either hornets or flies (despite the name). This one is a male; the females lack the scorpion-like bit on the end that gave these guys their name.

Patrick Alexander

Thank you!

Would you say it's a Panorpa communis?

Just look at that pecker, more of a beak!

http://insektenfotos.de/insects_neuroptera_to_mecoptera.htm

Are these a rare 'creature'?

Thanks again!

I found a P. germanica, which is similar but there is less black on the wings.

http://www.nature-diary.co.uk/2005-07-11.htm

I will mark this solved, if anyone else should wish to give any more information on the habits of this creature please do.

Las Cruces, NM

Panorpa communis is kinda what I was thinking from dinking around online a bit, but I really don't know anything about the various species of Panorpa. I haven't seen one in the US, but maybe they're more abundant places I haven't visited.

Patrick Alexander

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Here is a nice picture of the Panorpa communis . Amazing little bugger. LOL It looks like it from a old Sci -fi movies.
http://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/bio/life/insecta/mecoptera/panorpidae/panorpa/communis-1mU.jpg

Patti

This message was edited Jul 8, 2006 11:59 PM

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

All Gods creatures...this is a handsome devil. Do they sting?

Patrick, I saw a few google images of others and none other than the germanica came close, they had different bodies.

Patti, nice? Wonderful detail yes! AArrrggghhhhhhhh! I think a new sci-fi movie would do well with this one! Can you see people glued to the leaves like those flies, with this enormous creature having a feast?

podster, handsome? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! They look to have a pincer arangement on the tail end, this pic shows it more clearly (I did say I got few!)

Thumbnail by wallaby1
in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Well I think he pretty awesome. I have never seen one before until now.
Wallaby you need to find a movie producers , and have him use your idea and make millions. LOL
Patti

Patti, he is awesome, fearsome, unbelievable, but so REAL!

Now I have gone public with the idea I don't think I would make anything! Perhaps I need to develop my story telling skills and hand over the whole script? Well, it's not such a silly idea....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.