Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Brugmansias: Looking for Brug seeds

Communities > Forums > Brugmansias
bookmark
Forum: BrugmansiasReplies: 14, Views: 219
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SDoglover1512
Port Huron, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2001
12:29 AM

Post #8919

Hi folks, I had a few yellow and a few white seeds and they seem to be germinatinating quite nicely. I really like cuttings but I think that starting them from seed is wonderful. If anyone has any seed they would like to part with I will gladly trade...i'll even trade a plant(can't trade a brug yet), but a different plant if you like
Sandy
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 21, 2001
12:32 AM

Post #97384

How many seedpods would you like and what types of plant or seeds do you have to trade? Don't have much but I could let a few seedpods go for a good trade. Mostly pinks to pinks or pinks to yellows.

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2001
12:34 AM

Post #97387

How do you get them to make seed pods.There must be a trick to this,(like living in Florida)Mine never have pods.
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 21, 2001
12:44 AM

Post #97393

Crestedchik, do you cross pollinate them? If not, this could be why you don't get seedpods. Take a bit of pollen and place it on the pistal a few days before the corolla opens and this tends to give me the best results. Of course, the hotter it is the less luck one has setting seedpods and when it is in the dead of summer 1 or 2 out of 30 generally make it if I don't water which I tend to do when the well runs dry. Still, 1 or 2 from each cross gives you close to 400 seedlings to work with from each cross. Not to mention one starts a few seedpods earlier or later in the year as well if frost doesn't set in. I have heard of cutting the branches off and rooting the branch with a maturing seedpod...haven't tried it personally though. Perhaps you could ask Gloria as her hybrid Brugmansia make me weep for joy or Glory as she is called sometimes.

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2001
1:03 AM

Post #97418

I used a Q-tip and tried to get the white to cross with the pink.The flowers are ready to fall off and no swelling anywhere.That is what I would look for-isn't it?I'm going to try again with the next round of buds.
SDoglover1512
Port Huron, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2001
12:33 PM

Post #97616

Brugmansia,
Currently, I have none to trade. The adult rooted plants are the following:
junter orange
1 unknown
august australes
charles grimaldi
versicolor pink
The rest that i have are in the rooting process, but i prefer to start from seed and watch they whole growing process. it gives me more satisfaction and actually nicer plants. I think that all of mine are too young to bloom this year,but i have to start somewhere. i do have several others rooting.but they are turning soft so i am not real encouraged(not mushy, just soft)That's why i am looking for seed. i would be extemely grateful for any help you can give me
sandy
If I have any blooms, I plan to hand pollinate, but so far the only one that appears close to a bloom is my unknown. I will be trading as soon as i am able, and any help you can give me would be reciprocated, and shared with others

**********how many seed pods would I like???? how many are you willing to part with???
Sandy

This message was edited Saturday, Jul 21st 8:35 AM

This message was edited Saturday, Jul 21st 8:36 AM
Glory
Biloxi, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2001
9:46 PM

Post #97909

Brugmanisa..all I did was took the pollen from one and put it on the other one and bingo a seed pod formed. Call it beginners luck.

Glory
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 22, 2001
12:17 AM

Post #97980

Glory,
You have divine luck then. Wishing I had as much luck as you with a single seed pod. Here I am germinating thousands of seeds and no such luck.
Sandy,
How many seedpods can you grow? Can you honestly grow 400 Brugmansia up to flowering size? If you can I will honestly send you enough to meet that requirement.
SDoglover1512
Port Huron, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 22, 2001
3:49 AM

Post #98106

If they all germinate, i can grow them!!!
Sandy
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 22, 2001
1:12 PM

Post #98193

Sandy-just pulled a seedpod from a seedling for you-
({Frosty pink x Dr.Sues}x Dr.Sues x Ecuador pink)-The parent plants are extremely early bloomers, very floriferous, and if you can do the math-started back from the ground growing outside in Feb-mature seed pod today. Thats nothing but roots in feb. on a seedling less than a year old with a mature seedpod already. Hope you enjoy as this one should have children bearing exceptionally good pollen and everything about both parents spells early flowers in large numbers. One parent has petite bell shaped flowers in white, the other parent has a complete blend of yellow and pink unlike any other Brug I have ever seen for a true blended peach with flowers that resemble a true candida hybrid with versicolor calyx. Tempted to open the seed pod before I send it to you to look at the seeds as the seed pod looks a bit different from my other seedpods.
Enjoy,
Brugmansia

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2001
11:29 PM

Post #101671

I'm not sure yet but I think I may have the start of a pod.And I hope I didn't just jinx it by telling you.The flower fell off ,usually the stem falls off after turning yellow,this time ,the stem is still there,the covering of the bud,(the caylex???,can't remember the name)anyhow thats still on there and when I look up into it I can see what I'm hoping is a pod!!!Its been there almost 2 weeks,I thought it was history like the others.Please tell me this is what I am looking for.Or is it wishful thinking??
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 28, 2001
1:09 AM

Post #101722

Crested Chick, sounds like a baby pod starting to me. I have a few starting on my Brugs now as well as before or is that before as well as now. My favorite cross I just made was Isabella to Butterfly and Roseabella. Expecting some very floriferous wide short type pinks out of those crosses. Congrats on your first cross Crested, what did you cross it with?

This message was edited Friday, Jul 27th 9:15 PM
MsBatt
Florence, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 28, 2001
7:17 AM

Post #101815

Brugmansia, you just seem to have the best of everything!The parentage of the seedpod you pulled for Sandy sounds like a sure winner---I can't imagine it producing anything less than lucious. A while back, you told me that the Frosty Pink was one of the least fragrant brugd, but I have an unnamed white one that finally bloomed for the first time tonight, that I can't smell at all! Phooey! I've invested MONTHS in the thing, and I can't even smell it.
What kind of nnice would I have to make to get you to send me some seeds? I bought a mixed packet this past winter and have grown three dozen seedlings this summer, but none have bloomed so far. I hope I can successfully overwinter some in the ground here in Alabama---I'm going to try the five-gallon-bucket cure-all, anyway. I don't know what to offer you in return---you hate all my 'weeds' like datura and passionflowers! (LOL) Would you be interested in a young hound dog?

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2001
11:44 AM

Post #101837

Brugmansia , The two that I crossed were the white unnamed and the pink unnamed,You thought the white was a cross x cross and the general opinion on the pink was that it is a frosty pink.They are both on th identifacation page.The seed pod(what I hope is a seed pod) is on the pink one.Its about to bloom again(2 buds) and the white just bloomed again last nite.Thats ok isent it? Can I cross pollinate more or does that trigger it not to set any more buds?
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

July 28, 2001
11:11 PM

Post #102052

Keep Crossing of course would be my answer. Of course I love looking at the different shaped seedpods on my hybrids. I have one Dr.Sues X Ecuador pink that has a nice seed pod forming on it right now of course. The seedpod looks like a versicolor seed pod, the flower looks like an aurea with a versicolor calyx. Thats my oppinion, but it really depends on the standpoint one is looking at it from. Many of the candida hybrids I have seen look like pure aurea's to me and I know they aren't, its just that when I see a hybrid I visualize what both parents looked like that made that parent and then I try to imagine the perfect mix of shapes, colors, etc. So,...ahh, just call me a bit strange...

This message was edited Saturday, Jul 28th 7:28 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America