Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Canning, Freezing and Drying: Freezer pickles?

Communities > Forums > Canning, Freezing and Drying
bookmark
Forum: Canning, Freezing and DryingReplies: 40, Views: 318
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

DebbiesDaisy

DebbiesDaisy
Lyndonville, NY

July 12, 2006
6:48 PM

Post #2497819

I posted on the wrong site. Anyone have recipe for freezer pickles? My mother in law had one, misplaced it. Had onions in it also, and you sat it on the counter 24 hours then froze.

Thanks!

Debbie
PeggieK
Claremore, OK
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2006
12:17 PM

Post #2526310

Hmmm. never heard of a freezer pickle. Learn something new every day, ...if I'm lucky and paying attention. hehe

Doesn't it make them soggy when they thaw out ? I'm curious to know how they taste. Let me know if you find a recipe. I might like to try it too.

DebbiesDaisy

DebbiesDaisy
Lyndonville, NY

July 20, 2006
4:04 PM

Post #2526952

There is now a recipe on the recipe forum...my brother Shoe found it. I believe it was in the DG cook book but not sure. Let me get the link for you! And no, they are not soggy at all, very crisp! Its one of Mystics recipes!

http://davesgarden.com/cookbook/viewentry.php?rid=1150

This message was edited Jul 20, 2006 12:06 PM
VEGGIEHAPPY
New Braunfels, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 11, 2007
8:38 PM

Post #3603056

OMG - I've got to try this!!
I always have tons of cukes - so much that everyone who works with me gets them (whether they want them or not). I've made canned pickles, but I wasn't happy with the outcome. Going to make this tomorrow on my day off.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 18, 2007
9:47 PM

Post #3751898

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/629092/

My recipe is almost the same. I love being able to freeze cucumbers!!
ladybugsabound2
Novinger, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 22, 2008
9:16 PM

Post #5303261

Hi all! I have a question about the first recipe...do I let it sit overnight or in the fridge? I have them all made up and sitting out now, but I'm wondering which way to do it.

Christy
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2008
12:01 AM

Post #5304100

he he he there Christy, GMTA I also have mine and not sure what to do, I have them in a zip bag sitting on the counter. I also did the first one.

DebbiesDaisy

DebbiesDaisy
Lyndonville, NY

July 23, 2008
12:04 AM

Post #5304124

We left ours out on the counter over night...and let me tell you...they are SO GOOD! I can't wait for this years batch.
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2008
12:09 AM

Post #5304158

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, awesome. Hoping for sweet, hubby has a request for b&b pickles, so I thought heck why not. I dont have to cook anything in this one to heat up the house.

DebbiesDaisy

DebbiesDaisy
Lyndonville, NY

July 23, 2008
12:16 AM

Post #5304195

They really do turn out well, and they are so crispy. The batch we have now are from last year as I said...and still crisp. Our cukes this year are not doing so well...only about an inch and half long...I hope they take off soon.

Debbie
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2008
12:20 AM

Post #5304222

Mine went off real good at first, we didnt get them planted until mid may, now they are slowing down but we do have more blooms a going. Next year will be different, I am going to container garden what I can, and I hate to do it but I am going to use bug stuff on everything, them dang bugs and rabbits are tearing up my squash and beans. The only other thing to do is sleep during the day and play Emler Fudd at night for them raskley wabbits.
ladybugsabound2
Novinger, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2008
3:06 AM

Post #5305205

Thanks Debbie...Hi L2G! I still have them on the counter...though I don't think this batch is going to make it to the freezer! After only about 2 hours or so I tried one just to see what it was doing and it was so good I gave one to DH...he thought they were good so them the kids had to try too...so we ate a mess of them with supper. YUMMY! I hope I get to put some up, though I'll have to wait on the next set of cucumbers to get ripe. These were the first. I can't wait!

If yours make it to the freezer L2G you'll have to let me know what you all thought of them.

Christy

DebbiesDaisy

DebbiesDaisy
Lyndonville, NY

July 23, 2008
3:36 AM

Post #5305351

Yep, been there done that too...do not take that first bite until they are in the fridge! ROFL
ladybugsabound2
Novinger, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2008
4:30 AM

Post #5305576

LOL...I was telling my DH that those cucumbers better start coming in fast, otherwise he might not be getting his dills! (which is fine by me for this year, this is my first time ever trying to make any pickles) He didn't even complain about maybe not having dills...of course, he was eating these at the time. ha ha ha

Now, please let me in on the trick to not trying ANY before they get to the fridge? :0

Christy : )

DebbiesDaisy

DebbiesDaisy
Lyndonville, NY

July 23, 2008
4:38 AM

Post #5305608

Hmmm, thats a hard one. We did ours in a big big jar to start...the first time just leaving them in the fridge and that batch NEVER got froze. The second batch, well, we put them in pint sized containers...left one of those out...and froze the others the very next morning.

AND the best part...you think they taste good now...just wait til they have soaked a bit over night...or even moreso in the freezer!

Debbie
ladybugsabound2
Novinger, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2008
4:52 AM

Post #5305659

Oh my goodness, I can't wait! Now that's the best incentive of all...they are even BETTER after they are frozen? Oh boy...better put at least a small amount in the freezer tomorrow then...it's only like 2 days right? (it will seem like it will never get here!...aaaawww dang, just remembered that's 2 days freezing then thaw out time on top of it...LOL!

Christy
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2008
12:14 PM

Post #5306280

It is just me and DH for the most part so no problem saving them. But just in case I made 1 gal zip bag for the freezer then made spears in 1 quart jar and slices in another 1 quart jar both them will go to the fridge this afternoon, the bag to the freezer. Now I have to get more cukes a growing for the dills i want to make. I love them zesty #5 pickles by vlasic. We just love lots of garlic. I have a bar down the road saving me their jars they sell pickled stuff from. Hope I will get a few in a week or so.

DebbiesDaisy

DebbiesDaisy
Lyndonville, NY

July 23, 2008
2:06 PM

Post #5306704

I need to know how to make the calliflower that is in the pickle juice type stuff...can't think of the "technical term" Ummmm pickled calliflower? I didn't get much sleep! LOL

I went down stairs at 12:30 last night...and brought up a pack of pickles for today from the freezer...I hope your all happy getting me craving things.

Debbie
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2008
2:09 PM

Post #5306723

ut oh not the cravings. Get some rest
lizh
N.C. Mts., NC
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2008
4:09 PM

Post #5307373

Debbie, can you freeze them in freezer bags? I make refrigerator B&B pickles but they have to be in Glass jars.
ginlyn
Harford County, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2008
4:28 PM

Post #5307471

Does it make a difference whether you use cider vinegar or white ?
My neighbor keeps offering me cucumbers and I say I don't need any more, but maybe I'll take them and make this recipe. They sound wonderful.
lizh
N.C. Mts., NC
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2008
6:00 PM

Post #5307894

Hi Gin, I need that answer too.

DebbiesDaisy

DebbiesDaisy
Lyndonville, NY

July 23, 2008
9:08 PM

Post #5308673

we use white vinegar...I have never used freezer bags. BUT that doesn't mean you cant. We use the little square plastic pint or such containers.

NOW, you have to try this. Trust me. Freeze them...and when your ready for some...put them in the fridge to thaw. Well, before they are totally thawed and have the ice crystals on them...eat them! OOhhhhh so good!

lizh
N.C. Mts., NC
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2008
9:28 PM

Post #5308753

Thanks Debbie, going to fix them now.
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2008
10:39 PM

Post #5309147

mmmmmmmmmm I put mine in the freezer about 2 hrs ago. Counting down the 2 days now.
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2008
12:27 AM

Post #5309560

I am going to try this in the morning. I'm running out of people to give cucumbers to, and have canned about as many pickles as I care to give shelf space to. Thanks Debbie.
ladybugsabound2
Novinger, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2008
12:45 PM

Post #5311464

I had my last little bit left and got them moved into a plastic freezer container. Then I went to put laundry on the line and came back...my DH and kids swiped them! Guess I'll have to wait until the next bunch of cucumbers is ready to freeze them. I think I'll have to outsmart my crew though...I'll at least double the batch and put them into 2 different containers...and HIDE one! hee hee

Christy
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2008
12:58 PM

Post #5311510

Now that is just not right.

DebbiesDaisy

DebbiesDaisy
Lyndonville, NY

July 24, 2008
8:14 PM

Post #5313611

Not right at all, they didn't save you any?

Also...on a gardening note, my Mom used to put the pickle juice on her gardenias. Did really help them with the growing and blossoms!
Carolinorygun
St. Helens, OR
(Zone 8b)

July 25, 2008
1:02 AM

Post #5315120

Cider vinegar is "softer" in flavor and darkens the pickle but is totally fine to use. It's PP (personal preference). A lot of old-time farm picklers used cider vinegar because they liked the flavor and the reduced bite.

Andrea Chesman has several freezer pickles in her book "Pickles and Relishes." If you like herbs, here are a couple you might enjoy. The second calls for cider vinegar.

Freezer Tarragon Pickles

Yield: 4 pints

8 cups sliced cucumbers
2 medium-sized onions, sliced
2 tablespoons pickling salt
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon celery seeds
1 teaspoon tarragon
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Combine cucumbers and onions in a large non-reactive bowl. Sprinkle with the salt and let stand 3 hours.

Rinse vegetables under cold tap water and drain well.

Combine the remaining ingredients. Add drained vegetables. Mix well. Pack into freezer containers and freeze. Defrost in the refrigerator 8 hours before serving.

Freezer Mint Pickles

Yield: 4 pints

8 cups thinly sliced cucumbers
1 green pepper, minced
2 tablespoons pickling salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
12 fresh mint leaves (could use 1 tsp. mint extract or to taste)
4 allspice berries

Combine vegetables and sprinkle with salt. Mix well. Let stand 2 hours.

Rinse vegetables in cold tap water. Combine sugar, vinegar and water and pour over the vegetables. Mix well. Add mint and allspice. Refrigerate overnight.

The next morning, pack pickles in freezer containers and freeze. Defrost in the refrigerator for 8 hours before serving.

Chesman also offers Freezer Dills and Summer Squash Pickles for the refrigerator. Handy when the summer squash is growing like crazy.

Carol
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2008
1:06 AM

Post #5315147

I snuck a bite of the pickles I made 1 week ago last tuesday...just vinegar, celery seed, dill and garlic. WOW they are to die for. they are fridge pickles. YUMMY so simple.
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2008
2:33 PM

Post #5376587

I got the ones out of the freezer this past sunday and they were to die for. They did good in the ziploc bag.

DebbiesDaisy

DebbiesDaisy
Lyndonville, NY

August 6, 2008
2:37 PM

Post #5376610

I am glad to hear you liked them, and that the ziplock bag worked. I am going to try that next time.

I put some out for a family picnic...they went well also. They stay good for at least two years in the freezer. I know because I found an old one...couldn't tell the difference from that one and the past batch!

Debbie
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2008
2:40 PM

Post #5376622

I am just waiting for more cukes to grow and going to make more. Then when I find them on sale will buy them up. My plants are not doing so well cause of all this heat. Next year I will plant twice the amount.

DebbiesDaisy

DebbiesDaisy
Lyndonville, NY

August 6, 2008
2:46 PM

Post #5376645

Now you know if you plant twice the amount...you will have cukes coming out your ears. DH said we will have to buy a bushel or such...that they are not producing well. Normally we have had a few by this time...and our biggest is about 3 inches right now! I got my last couple from FIL's gardens.

They are so worth the effort put into them.

Debbie
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2008
2:48 PM

Post #5376650

Oh gosh yes ans so easy to gather. This is our first real garden and we learned alot what we will do different next year. I just wish the okra was as easy as the cukes.

DebbiesDaisy

DebbiesDaisy
Lyndonville, NY

August 6, 2008
2:52 PM

Post #5376670

I have never grown okra...did have it fried up once and liked it. I don't think my kids would eat it though.

I would like to give brussel sprouts a try also.
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2008
2:56 PM

Post #5376686

Count me out on the sprouts. Hubby's idea here mind you, he want a whole row of okra, 49 plants, and I have to pick them every day now, sometimes twice a day. I have some sitting in a basket right now that needs cut up and frozen. I like okra every once in a while but not this much.

DebbiesDaisy

DebbiesDaisy
Lyndonville, NY

August 6, 2008
3:03 PM

Post #5376715

That much okra...is when I would start leaving gifts for my neighbors on their doorstep and running! We did that with zucchini last year. This year, I have only had two grow.
Edens_Gardener
Clay Center, KS
(Zone 5b)

August 6, 2008
11:55 PM

Post #5378775

luvs2garden2000, have you tried pickling okra? We love them. Here is a simple recipe..

Pickled Okra
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3-4 lbs. small fresh okra
9 small fresh or dried hot peppers
9 garlic cloves
3 Tbsp. dill seeds
4 cups white vinegar (5% acidity)
4 cups water
1/2 cup salt
1/4 cup sugar

Pack okra into 9 hot jars, filling to 1/2 inch from top; place 1 pepper, 1 garlic cloves and 1 teas. dill seeds in each jar.
Bring vinegar and next 3 ingredients to a boil, pour over okra, filling to 1/2 inch from top of jar. Remove air bubbles; wipe jar rims, cover with lids and tighten bands.
Process in a boiling water bath 10 minutes. Like most pickles, allow 3 to 4 weeks before chilling and eating.
Yield 9 pints.

saanansandy
Sue, RI
(Zone 6a)

August 14, 2011
9:37 AM

Post #8755770

thought a bump up would be good!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America