-
AuthorContent
TXSWETIE
Big Lake, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 13, 2006
3:50 PM

Post #2501291

I know this has been asked al lot but I'm going to ask again. I have lots of questions for ya'll.

I'm a novice gardener still, But i live in this tinny town with about 3000 people.
The closest town is 70 miles away. We don't have a nursery here or any other place to buy plants. So i have decided i want to open one in my back yard.
Where i live I'm zoned residential, but i have gone to the City council meeting and was granted a variance to open one here at the house.
I was all excited about it but now I'm scared to death LOL and i know its because I'm still a novice gardener. But with the scale of the nursery i think I'm going to do fine. I don't plan on opening till March 2008.

I want to know where i need to start. Now that i got all the legal stuff out of the way what should i be working on now. We are going to build at 25 x 35 workshop, and i will use the old shed that is 10 x 14 for my shop. I'm not sure the size of green house we are going to build.
Also where do ya'll get the pots?
Where do you get the soil? do you buy it by the bag or what?
What about watering systems? do you hand water or is a watering system pricey and can come at a later time?
I'm not sure what I'm going to sell. I know there will be veggies, herbs, vines, ect. I have had people ask if i will sell TX natives, and vines. They have asked for easy annual vines that you cant buy cause they are so easy to grow from seed. But a lot of people don't want to take the time to grow them from seed.

I wanted to start small but people i have talked to are very excited about it and I'm so scared I'm going to get whipped out the first week.

Any and all tips would help a lot. Man writing this has made me sound like i don't have a clue, I know its just the jitters that has started to set in LOL.

This thread has 183 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!

Other Market Growers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sat., June 21 Markets CountryGardens 40 Oct 5, 2010 5:25 AM
Odor-free Bone Meal? Will wildlife still uproot plants? PlanterRik 8 Jun 24, 2009 2:31 PM
Question on growing food for sale (organic) hczone6 28 Oct 1, 2007 7:52 PM
water melons,cantaloupes CricketsGarden 8 Sep 1, 2007 8:39 PM
Something different for FM '07 bigred 7 Jul 17, 2007 10:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America