-
AuthorContent
begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2006
12:00 AM

Post #2506751

I made the (long ago) promised sticky page, just waiting for ADMIN to make it a sticky. Please don't post on that thread, rather if you have links you want added please post them here OR dmail them to me and I will add them (please allow a day or two for me to make the time to update the HTML file) =)

I've only posted some of my links, not all so I hope to get more listed in the near future. Any suggestions are welcome!!

I'll bump this thread when I update the sticky link so everyone will know when new info is added.
Cheers,
Lali

This message was edited Jul 18, 2006 3:25 PM

Thumbnail by begoniacrazii
Click the image for an enlarged view.

begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 15, 2006
12:03 AM

Post #2506756

Here's the Sticky thread (please dont post there)

Begonia Culture, Care and Resources A Good Place To Start
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/626497/

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 15, 2006
12:04 AM

Post #2506759

You have been a busy bee Lali girl. We THANK YOU!

After sushi tonite I will try to read some of it, I really need the help. LOL

Which reminds me, you never picked a sushi night.
MsCritterkeeper
The Heart of Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 16, 2006
5:51 AM

Post #2511017

Wonderful Job Lali !

Thanks so much,
MsC
begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 16, 2006
1:35 PM

Post #2511477

thanks girls, be sure to dmail me any links you want added

http://davesgarden.com/mail/pmail.php?user=begoniacrazii
begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2006
10:26 PM

Post #2520684

Bumpity bump bump..

Sticky was updated with new links today.

I'll bump this thread when I update the sticky link so everyone will know when new info is added.
MsCritterkeeper
The Heart of Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 18, 2006
10:27 PM

Post #2520692

You are such an asset to DG's!
Thanks so much!
begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 18, 2006
10:32 PM

Post #2520707

Thanks MsC, how's the heat in AZ? we're pushing 105 by my best guess today. Haven't ventured out to check... I'm afraid I'll melt!
MsCritterkeeper
The Heart of Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 18, 2006
10:49 PM

Post #2520779

LOL... we aren't too bad today it's about 96.
Last week was a killer & we went & bought 3 air conditioners, the ole swamp monster just wasn't coling me off.

begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2006
5:04 AM

Post #2522126

yup, bit the bullet my self and installed a new window unit in my playhouse. Decided it was best to run my grow lights at night now and a/c during the warmest hours so I can continue to work and not melt! LOL.

10pm now and it's still 85 inside. I'm worried about the rest of the week. The Yahoo forecast calls for 104 on Friday. But it also says our town was in the high 90's (97) but I can tell you that it most definitely was not, it was closer to 105 today so by those calculations, does that mean we'll be 112?

We've had some days hovering in the 114 range - so I'm not looking forward to the rest of the week.

MsCritterkeeper
The Heart of Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 19, 2006
5:11 AM

Post #2522137

Oh girl look at that humidity level too! Goodness...it does get hot here but the humidity usually stays pretty low so it doesn't feel quite as hot.
Of course once your temps reach 100's hot is just HOT...lol

Our forecast for the next week is back up into the 100's.:( again,but me & most of my babies will be in the cool air conditioned house.

Keeping on topic of sorts... I bought a bunch of rexes & added a light stand for them, too.:) They do well in the house.

See I got right back on topic .

Thanks again for your work on the links!!

MsC
begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2006
5:22 AM

Post #2522158

Also...

Boing... added a few more links tonight.
begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2006
5:32 AM

Post #2522176

I doubt the yahoo humidity reading is correct (maybe for the coast near us), I had 20% on my digital thermometer on Sunday.
I really wonder where they get that info but I'm going by my reading since I know it did not feel like 50%, dry as a darn bone here!
LOL..

Here's a Humidity Tip
Double pot your Rexie.
Put the Rexie in a clay pot the size of the root ball, and put that pot in a larger pot. Fill the area underneath and around the small pot with something like peat moss. Keep wetting down the peat moss and the evaporation from the peat moss will increases the humidity around the rexie.

If only I had room to double pot everyone!! pebble trays it is.

MsCritterkeeper
The Heart of Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 19, 2006
5:40 AM

Post #2522188

Wonderful info & like you, since I'm growing most everything in the house...room is an issue. I plan to use the 2 ~30gal aquariums w/pebble base for growing the rexes in ...at least for now. It will at least keep me from returning to an old addiction...( MsC crossing fingers & toes)

I just read Brads article on taking advice...lol
Wonder if we could add that to the AV forum stickey as well.lol

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2006
5:38 PM

Post #2523692

We got the moisture & humidity of a tropical front heading in, thats' why it's higher than normal for here.
begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2006
9:18 PM

Post #2524400

It's a nice reprieve from the sweltering heat. It's only 88 here now. Humidity reads 47% in my playhouse. It's very 'sultry', even muggy outside and overcast. Not at all like the oven it's been the last few days.

At first I thought the cloud cover was from the HWY 29 fire up over the hills from us on the Lake/Napa county line. Some arsonist is apparently getting their thrills by setting fires up there.

I was in Napa about an hour ago and it was 97 - RARELY is it cooler up here than it is down there, as they sit right near the bay.

MsC, Most of my begonias go outside during the summer, I get enough humidity if I water early enough in the day and so long as they have plenty of bark under them, it's the winter that I worry about. That's when I reach capacity! Greenhouse overflows as does the playhouse.

There will be some succulents going outside from the greenhouse this year. I had duplicates that I left out over last winter and they did just fine. So I'll only keep the most tender in this coming winter.
MsCritterkeeper
The Heart of Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 19, 2006
9:52 PM

Post #2524511

That's great to know you can grow yours outdoors in the summer. I'm still a little shy about the rexes going out but I have 3 larger cane types and some angel wings outside now & all are doing "ok". They are all blooming but look pretty sad.

Hubby & I are going to add a misting unit to the "temp greenhouse" we set up for a few tropicals I just HAD to bring to the high desert. "big sigh"

Sometimes I feel so selfish & feel like if I really loved my plants I would have left them behind to a better home.Oh well they are here & I'm happy...lol

It will take sometime to learn the best way to deal with things in my new place...I guess I gotta grieve before I grow.:)

hugs
MsC

begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2006
10:03 PM

Post #2524541

MsC -go have a visit to the greenhouse forum - someone was discussing the misting system they installed for seedlings/cuttings. The timers aren't cheap nor is the leaf (contraption used to measure moisture level to determine when to mist) but might be worth it.
I'll see if I can find the link, I was quite intrigued and wanted to create a set up when we build our new greenhouse that has a cutting bench with this kind of thing. ( I say 'our' greenhouse but really the DH isn't interested in plants! LOL)
begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2006
10:06 PM

Post #2524550

here it is. I did a quick bit of research on the misting controllers and there are some that aren't too bad price wise. so it may become a reality for me but not right away.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/604247/
MsCritterkeeper
The Heart of Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 19, 2006
11:26 PM

Post #2524781

Wow, That's quite a set up... I don't think I want to go that far , not here anyway.
We bought a "Patio Mister" for the tent we have set up. The tent was intended to give shade as I have one tree in the yard .I thought I might be able to create enough humidity by spraying down the plants & concrete patio a couple of times a day. So far the plants are doing better than the ones out front who get only shade.
The one problem I will have here is the water tends to plug up the mister values pretty quick but for now it's better than nothing.
If we stay here more than the 2 years contract we signed then we will build a medium size greenhouse for sure.:)
Thanks for posting the thread.

MsC

begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2006
11:35 PM

Post #2524810

I looked at the patio mister yesterday at HD, but figured I'd need a double set or something a bit more elaborate.
When you say the values plug up is that due to hard water? Might be trouble if so, I have pretty hard water.
MsCritterkeeper
The Heart of Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 19, 2006
11:48 PM

Post #2524863

Yes, that's what we bought, too. it'll do for now.
Yep,the water here is medium hardas well but not really too bad.
If it clogs it up a lot, I will just soak them in some CLR.
I will have to wait & see if I'm gonna need an osmosis kit just for the plants.
The up side to it is the birdies are getting more minerals tahn salt in their diet..lol

MsC
begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 23, 2006
3:41 PM

Post #2537787

BOING! Bumping

Added several new links.
MsCritterkeeper
The Heart of Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2006
4:01 AM

Post #2540491

You're amazing!
Thanks for all the work on them.
I've really enjoyed rereading lots of the info.

MsC
begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2006
5:08 PM

Post #2542060

(blushing) Thanks MsC! I'll keep posting them as I sort through my files.

Y'all feel free to send me some! (ps, I think I i.d'ed your mystery plants)
MsCritterkeeper
The Heart of Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 24, 2006
8:22 PM

Post #2542836

Thanks so much for the ID's I think the Hemigraphis colorata is alteranta,apparently they are synonomis. I knew I had seen the ardidisa and just couldn't think of it! lol

begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2006
10:32 PM

Post #2600852

BOING boing boing..., bumping this since I updated the sticky with new links.
begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2006
4:24 PM

Post #2624758

bumpity bump bump. sticky has been updated.
Added Butch' Antoon link to the gallery portion

If anyone has links they would like to add PLEASE send them along to me. The more the merrier.
begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2006
12:51 AM

Post #2727819

Boing! Bumping - added a few new links to the sticky.

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2006
1:02 AM

Post #2727846

What exactly have you added and where? Is it at the end or do we just have to look for it?
begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2006
3:56 AM

Post #2728403

I added two new links in the gallery and I think another one. that I added a few weeks ago, but didn't update that day.
Here's the new links so you don't have to go try and search for them

I'll try to post the new links with the updates that way it might be easier to find what's new and what's not, or I'll some how notate what the new one's are in the sticky.

Here's one (love her lath house!!!)
http://www.pbase.com/missy_gardenwhimsy/angel_wing_begonias (Cane Begonia gallery)

ok, I cant' find the other, but I thought I did two. I also started updating the gesneriad sticky and maybe that's where I added the other links that I'm thinking of. I can't recall...
(p.s. photo above is b. 'Black Taffeta')
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2006
5:15 PM

Post #2729510

Maybe you could have separate posts or add to the end (chronological order instead of subject order)? Or note at the top of recent additions (date and subject).

I saw Miss Whimsy's site a while back. It is very inspirational.
begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2006
5:43 PM

Post #2729591

For the ease of things, your suggestion about links at the top will be the best. What I can do is have a section at the beginning that says 'Here's what's new since the last update' and then list the newest links.

Then put said links in their rightful catagory too.

I can't do any special HTML other than what we can do in regular posts, but it would be nice to have some override powers to do things like a big red asterisk next to new links etc. I'll ask admin what else they will allow.

I noticed that in the classified adds section that some of the newer ads have more leeway with HTML within the post. Would be nice to be able to do that in the sticky links.

I love Whimsy's site, that lath house inspires for sure!!!
begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2006
5:52 PM

Post #2729619

I added a section to the top of the doc. Thoughts?
begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 30, 2006
5:26 PM

Post #2865526

Boing! added a few new links.

(Begonia 'Buttercup', one of the terrarium begonias I've been growing - just about to bloom!)

begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 12, 2006
7:01 PM

Post #2993445

Bumpity Bump Bump - Sticky was updated today.

Begonia below is B. 'Jabberwocky' ( a 1981 Logee's Hybrid using B. gehrtii (http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/116953/) x B. U003 (aka B. soli-mutata http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/128418/ )

I grow it in a pot in a domed terrarium.

begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2007
2:26 PM

Post #3138164

Bumping. I updated the sticky yesterday.

(shown, B. 'Connie Boswel' from this summer)

begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2007
6:11 PM

Post #3591598

Bumpity bump bump. I added new links, fixed some old ones. Enjoy!

All of these links and more can be viewed at my own web page as well http://cutebassethounds.com/begonia_web/begonia_links.html

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Begonias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Here's my begonia collection flowerjunkie 106 Feb 10, 2009 2:27 PM
Tuberous Begonias? Woofens 25 Feb 29, 2008 8:05 PM
Talking about polka dots................. Kell 35 Feb 16, 2008 8:31 PM
Begonia Dead? Wvdaisy 13 Apr 12, 2007 3:36 PM
Begonia Co-ops? Wvdaisy 27 Apr 14, 2007 9:51 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America