Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Scrapbooking and Paper Crafts: Card Making

Communities > Forums > Scrapbooking and Paper Crafts
bookmark
Forum: Scrapbooking and Paper CraftsReplies: 28, Views: 496
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ggd
North Saanich
Canada

July 15, 2006
4:34 AM

Post #2507678

After making my own cards for about a year, I have now decided I should scan them so I have a record of what I have made. Did this one last night for my sister in law and hubby who are moving into a new house. This is the front. I used corrugated paper on the top bar with a fiber rope.

Thumbnail by ggd
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ggd
North Saanich
Canada

July 15, 2006
4:35 AM

Post #2507681

This is the inside. By the way, I love Magic Mesh!!!! I bought the alphabet stamps a couple of weeks ago and really like the size of them. Great size for cards.

Thumbnail by ggd

ggd
North Saanich
Canada

July 15, 2006
4:36 AM

Post #2507683

I have an aunt who is turning 90 in a couple of weeks. Here is the front of her card. I have started using ribbon quite a bit now for the fronts of cards, and love this one. Got a roll of it at Costco for next to nothing.

Thumbnail by ggd

ggd
North Saanich
Canada

July 15, 2006
4:37 AM

Post #2507685

INside the card. The dragonfly square is set up on POP DOTS.

Thumbnail by ggd

ggd
North Saanich
Canada

July 15, 2006
4:39 AM

Post #2507687

Those are the only two I have scanned, but I am going to continue to scan as I make them, so I keep ideas to use again. Sometimes it takes me a long time to get ideas!!!! Anyone else out there make card?? Let's see them.

(This forum is very quiet lately!!!!!)

Glenda
ggd
North Saanich
Canada

July 17, 2006
3:27 AM

Post #2514113

New card I made today for brother and sister in law for their 39th anniversary.
Front:

Thumbnail by ggd

ggd
North Saanich
Canada

July 17, 2006
3:28 AM

Post #2514120

Anniversary card inside. The red/yellow glow you see is weird. That paper is actually silver metallic, so it did some weird thing in the scanner. It has a bit of blue fiber attached to it, under the saying, which is raised with pop dots!!!

Thumbnail by ggd

grannymarsh
Marquette, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 12, 2006
3:34 AM

Post #2613387

Very nice. You have given me some wonderful ideas. I love to garden and have done some pressed flowers, now I have a new use for them. Thanks for sharing.
Marsha
dwerland
Nipomo, CA
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2006
4:23 AM

Post #2613568

I especially liked the last two cards. I like the mulberry paper with the dried flowers. Very pretty. I have a couple friends that are really into the "Stampin Up" thing, this one gal designs her own paper and everything! Way to complicated for me. I just slap my pictures down in a album and hope my spelling is correct. (grin)
Dayna
sagedel
Cincinnati, OH

December 16, 2008
9:33 PM

Post #5898841

Just wanted to post and let you know that there is a new website at www.cricutprojects.com where you can go and submit images of your Cricut projects or other projects to the gallery for others to see and try out.

The site is completely free and community driven. There is also a forum and an articles section.

This is a BRAND NEW website, so any feedback and contributions are much appreciated. We need articles as well, so if you have any great tips or ideas to contribute, please let us know.

Thanks!
sarah_9
seattle
USA Minor Outlying Islands

January 16, 2009
5:06 AM

Post #6011162

Hello,

You people are so talented, recently i tried to make card with batik hand made paper, and it was looking good, i think hand made papers are nice option for making cards. You can get hand made papers from http://www.coniferhandmades.com/ they have a nice collection of handmade paper.

Regards,
sarah_9

This message was edited Jan 16, 2009 1:09 AM
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2009
4:02 PM

Post #6012386

I like doing batik -- haven't done that since high school. We did fabric. I'd like to learn to do some on paper!
backspace
Saint Charles, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2009
4:32 PM

Post #6012509

ggd Love your cards. I am new to scrapbooking. I am trying to do albums for my boys who are now older. I have tons of pictures and it can be very overwhelming. I don't have alot of time and that can be fustrating. Scapbooking I have found takes alot of time. I bought and bought a ton of stuff last year to get started. There's a store here for scrapbooking that always has "garage sales" and you can get some cool stuff very cheap.
ggd
North Saanich
Canada

January 22, 2009
5:25 PM

Post #6036608

Finally getting back to doing some cards. I think I will be like other people and make a whole pile of cards at one time, so I'm not in a big panic when somethign does come up.
First card of 2009: I edged the card with gold ink but am not really a big fan. Would have been better on a different colored card.

Thumbnail by ggd

ggd
North Saanich
Canada

January 22, 2009
5:28 PM

Post #6036615

Inside: I like using the matstack papers that are a bit textured. They are so nice to work with and a great size. The hummingbird is a rub on, and is set up with pop dots. Just a sticker border that I used there. I love those fine sticker borders, and I can't hardly find them anymore. The greenery is also a rub on. I like rub-ons but they are expensive. So I stock up when they are sale!

Thumbnail by ggd

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2009
11:44 PM

Post #6038071

I like that card. I think the gold looks fine. From what line did you get that hummingbird rub-on? I really like that!

This message was edited Jan 24, 2009 12:24 PM
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2009
5:23 PM

Post #6040748

Marsha, Great card, and I second that ? re: where did you get the nice H'bd rub on? How did you do your "It's Your Birthday" lettering? It looks embossed...
ggd
North Saanich
Canada

January 23, 2009
6:04 PM

Post #6040877

HI ladies. (by the way, my name is Glenda, not Marsha! : - ))
The hummingbird rub-on came from Michaels, I think it is called Royal E-Z Rub-on Transfers. I have some of birds, sunflowers, and some beautiful butterflies. I like them a lot.
The IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY is a rubber stamp, but I have used a Marcy Uchida marker on it, rather than ink. I love using the pens, since they stay wet longer, and you can use more than one color at a time. I often find that ink pads do not do a great job, although I do use them sometimes. I did a card this week with the same stamp, used a copper ink pad, and even though I pressed really well, the whole design did not come out clean. Hence...the pens!!
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2009
6:31 PM

Post #6041007

Glenda (sorry!), Thanks, I will look for those rub ons - very pretty.

I am not familiar with the marcy Uchida markers or using markers at all on rubber stamps. So I will look into that as well since I have had 'coverage' problems when using stamps.

This sharing is great!
ggd
North Saanich
Canada

January 23, 2009
8:01 PM

Post #6041371

Oops, I did a spelling boo boo!!! It should be Marvy Uchida. Here's a link to what they look like:

http://www.marvy.com/product_details.aspx?ProductID=51

I like using these way better than the inkpads!
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2010
6:20 PM

Post #7470297

ggd - Glenda,
Well, it took me a while -- life and work intervened, but I did get the Marvy Uchida markers and they are awesome! I really like them and now understand how people are able to do multiple colors on stamps. Thanks so much for telling me (us) about it. Funny that as much as I look at magazines and websites on scrapbooking, that DG was my source for this tool!
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2010
3:12 PM

Post #7662734

I decided to give card making a try. I am having trouble with verses. I tried printing them out and pasting, but I don't like the way it looks. I tried cutting a verse out of another card and pasting, but that looks worse.

Any expert advice for this beginner ?

Thanks !
ggd
North Saanich
Canada

March 28, 2010
3:50 PM

Post #7662815

Well, most of my verses are done with rubber stamps, but I have been know to print things out on vellum, then attach with eyelets or brads. Both work well. If you don't have stamps, then printing verses out will be okay if you do it on a nice paper, and maybe add another color behind it, then glue on , or use brads, etc then glue on. Gluing vellum does not look good. It needs to be attached by other means.
Hope this helps.
Ask more questions if needed!
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2010
11:43 AM

Post #7664549

ggd - Thanks ! I didn't think to put color behind the printed verse. Stamps are a great idea. I've seen quite a selection at Hobby Lobby.
I'll try stamping too.
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2010
10:34 AM

Post #7667189

ggd is right on re: gluing vellum -- even the special "vellum glue" shows through.
I do what she suggests also: printing off the verse on nice paper and matting it. I just bought a Crop-a-dile, so I may go back to vellum (colored vellum is very nice) and use eyelets more often.
You can also, with some planning, print your verse directly on the cardstock before you score it into a card. This takes some fiddling (for me at least) with your printer and Microsoft Word to come up with a template that works so that the sentiment prints where you want it to. But it makes for a nice look since you can choose your font style and color.

And thanks to this thread, I've started scanning or taking a pic of some of the cards I've made. Good idea, ggd -- Thanks!
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2010
10:08 AM

Post #7669513

I went to Hobby Lobby this morning and bought a few stamps and some ink pads.

I have a card making program for the computer, but you have to fold the stock in quarters. Most cards aren't made like that anymore. I used to print the pictures and make cards, but that uses up a lot of ink and gets expensive.

I will try experimenting with scrap paper and see if I can get the verse where I want it. I run Microsoft Works, but maybe I can figure it out. Printing verses wouldn't take that much ink.

This whole project began thinking I could spend less by making cards. It has turned into an art project instead - lol !
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2010
5:39 PM

Post #7711335

I sent my first home made card out today to a friend in Kentucky. It is her birthday. I am pleased with the outside of the card. I stamped Happy Birthday and signed my name on the inside, but I wasn't real happy with the way it looked. It was nice and neat, but...

Is just Happy Birthday and a signature enough ?

I saw a card with the signature stamped. I searched online, but could only find custom signature stamps from office supply places. Do you know of any sites that are more artistic ?
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2010
6:40 PM

Post #7711505

Countrymom, I don't know about more artistic signature stamps, but I think (just MHO -my humble opinion) that a special card, made with any non-standard things, is special enough. Signing it for real is a good thing! No signature stamp required.
that's just me... :)
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2010
7:59 AM

Post #7712411

cedar18 - I hope you are right. I hope my friend opens the card and goes - wow ! Penny made it herself !. Thanks for the encouragement.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Scrapbooking and Paper Crafts Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Digital Scrapbooking 4xthefun 28 Nov 20, 2012 2:29 PM
How to...handmade cards? jh_gardens 37 Aug 22, 2009 12:50 AM
Anyone know how to make seed embedded paper, fancy and cute? branka 10 Apr 20, 2008 9:14 PM
Links for card designs?? ggd 9 Jul 29, 2008 1:53 PM
pop-ups dp72 8 Aug 19, 2009 6:20 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America