Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Please can someone tell me what kind of flower this is and what do I do

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 118
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
skicajun
Lafayette, LA

July 21, 2001
3:46 AM

Post #8939

What is this?

Thumbnail by skicajun
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Debby
Milo, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 21, 2001
3:53 AM

Post #97554

That is Cleome also known as spider plant or cats whiskers. It is an annual, easy to grow from seed, will reseed itself the following year. The seedpods are forming below the flower--the long green things, when they turn brown the seeds are mature and can be collected.
skicajun
Lafayette, LA

July 21, 2001
4:00 AM

Post #97559

Wow, you did that very fast. Thank you so much! It's growing like an alien plant! I was beginning to fear that it would eat someone! :-)! And you're right. It's easy to grow if I grew it. It's got so many new growths already. Can I cut this down or something? And a friend wants to have a piece of this? Can he cut it somewhere to grow or does he have to wait until it's seeds turn brown. Bear in mind that our summers last until October/November.

Thanks again for your help,

Nella
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 21, 2001
12:50 PM

Post #97622

It's an annual, so if you cut it down, it's gone. You can dig up one of the babies for your friend. It will more than likely reseed next year for you, but save some seeds just in case.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2001
2:12 PM

Post #97664

Tip: Be sure the seed pods are fully ripe (brown) but not opened yet to save the seeds. Cut them off the stem carefully, perhaps holding an envelope underneath as the pods may rupture. I save mine in a paper envelope to make sure they fully dry and do not mold. My cleome didn't re-seed, but I am in Zone 6; thankfully, I saved seeds last year!
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2001
4:43 PM

Post #97776

Hey Nella! Your username caught my attention! I am your neighbor! Welcome to daves! Lisa

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 8 Jul 2, 2010 2:47 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America