-
AuthorContent
SwarmCatcher
Mathias, WV
(Zone 7a)

July 16, 2006
12:23 PM

Post #2511340

I have been keeping bee for over 15 years...An I still don't know everything...Here are two good places to learn...I just though that I would past these links along.

http://www.beemaster.com/beebbs/

http://www.beesource.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

Hope you all enjoy...
Have a great Day an God Bless

James
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

August 26, 2006
7:24 PM

Post #2661946

Thanks very much for the great links James. Havent checked in this forum for a while, so they were a lovely surprise
levilyla
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 25, 2006
10:01 PM

Post #2943627

I am just considering starting to have a honey bee hive...I went to a lecture on it and was fascinated. Those links will be very helpful as I know absolutely nothing (except what I learned from the lecture). I have a shade garden and am wondering if anyone has ever had a hive in the shade.
Pranter
Greenfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 26, 2006
8:08 PM

Post #2945693

My bees are in partial shade and do just fine. I know other beekeepers who have hives in shade and they seem to do fine as well. It makes sense to me, afterall if they have hives in the wood areas they would be mostly in shade.

levilyla
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 27, 2006
11:12 AM

Post #2947082

Thanks...I have alot of reading to do before I start anything but I think it will be fun.
sudhira
Aptos, CA

April 16, 2007
10:26 AM

Post #3397289

Thank you for the information, I will definitely check it out...

This message was edited Apr 16, 2007 7:44 AM
The_Advocate
Largo, FL

March 31, 2008
5:58 AM

Post #4733934

When placing a hive it is important to remember the more sun on the hive the harder they have to work to keep the hive cool, hence a shorter, less productive lifespan. They don't live that long anyway. Do them and yourself a favor and keep your hives out of the sun or @ least shelterd from the sun.

Thumbnail by The_Advocate
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Jim025
Hoffman, IL

July 31, 2009
3:49 AM

Post #6887926

I am interested in keeping a hive, but have a question no one has been able to answer for me. I have tried on several other sites.

The question is what happens if you don't want to harvest the honey?

I want to have bees to support my garden and orchard. But I don't want to bother harvesting the honey. My guess is that it won't hurt the bee hive/bees since before man no one harvested the honey.

Comments?
tamberlin
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2009
7:33 AM

Post #6896683

Hi Jim025,
I would imagine that if you did not want to harvest the honey, you would not put in a queen excluder and let the bees do what they would naturally. You'd still have to monitor them occasionally to make sure they have enough room to put their harvest and brood.
I've been watching the hive in my backyard for about a week. Their top honey super is almost full and they are running out of room. I wanted the bees just for pollination, which they really have done, but my beekeeper (a friend) is after the honey. It looks like he will be getting some after all this year, despite our dismal weather.
Deb
dave719
Humansville, MO
(Zone 6a)

August 2, 2009
6:28 PM

Post #6898105

Join a beekeepers group some one might put a hive on your place for you but if not some one in the group I'm sure would take care of the hive for you for the honey There are to many diseases that will have to be treated for to keep the colony healthy to just let it set there This said there hives there are a that do fine with no care
You want to set your hives to get the morning and protected from the afternoon sun that way they are up and working early in the morning
JsHoney
Forestville, NY

September 12, 2009
3:51 PM

Post #7055234

Hey Jim25 if you don't want the honey just leave it in for the bees for winter storage. If you that you don’t have to feed in them in the fall and you might have to feed in the spring depending how much honey you got left. You will have to watch for swarming a little closer, or you can split the hive. I suggest you take some honey about a frame or two for yourself, you work hard to keep them whey not reward yourself.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM
Middle Tennessee (Rutherford County) goldeneagleone 4 Jul 5, 2009 10:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America