Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: licorice plant becoming a nursery for what bug?

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 8, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2006
2:35 PM

Post #2511604

My licorice plant (glycyrrhiza glabra) is becoming a nursery for a type of bug. Haven't caught the bug yet but I find the leaves torn and folded with a clear hard egg laid under the tear. Does anyone have a idea of what this might be and how to treat it? Preferably organic?

Thumbnail by podster
Click the image for an enlarged view.

konkreteblond
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2006
6:49 PM

Post #2512417

Wow, that is cool! Sorry, I'm not help tho.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 16, 2006
7:22 PM

Post #2512528

It is different isn't it. I am not so upset as I don't think it will kill it and I am not one of those perfectionists either. The leaves/plant doesn't have to be perfect. I assume all creatures serve a purpose, even the lowly bug. He was probably born to hatch on licorice plants. I have been handpicking the eggs and in search of the mother with no luck.
DonnaA2Z
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 17, 2006
12:42 AM

Post #2513498

Wow!! Something is cutting up those leaves. Ants? Grasshoppers? Seen any of those around lately? What bugs have you seen around?

Donna
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2006
1:06 AM

Post #2513571

Not really any bugs Donna. I keep looking. Odd how it isn't eating the leaf only tearing it. I wonder if the buglet would eat the leaf when it hatches out.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 17, 2006
1:13 AM

Post #2513592

i've never seen anything like this. it is a great mystery and i hope someone solves it.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2006
1:32 AM

Post #2513649

It is most interesting.
I will have to try to get a good photo of the egg itself.

This message was edited Jul 16, 2006 8:34 PM

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

July 17, 2006
9:41 AM

Post #2514526

I have seen wasps tear petals of flowers and tender leaves and take the pieces away to make a nest. I have seen butterfly caterpillars - small ones - fold up my tabernaemontana leaves to protect themselves till they grow. They do it at night.

Grasshoppers tear the leaves this way. But they feed on the cut portion. It may not be a bug. If it was a bug, you'd have seen it there. Grasshoppers could be the one as they don't stay in one place for long. This is all I know.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2006
11:32 AM

Post #2514624

Dinu, it is odd. Some pieces of the leaf are missing as though eaten. The light color on the leaf is actually the underside of the leaf. It is torn and folded over to protect the egg. One egg to a leaf. I am not sure how grasshoppers reproduce. The wasps in our area are many different types and most have mud or paper nests, some lay eggs in the ground. I really don't have any idea on this but it has me keeping an eye on it. I am not sure if this happened day or night either. Thanks for your thoughts... pod

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America