Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Florida Gardening: Milkweed Plants, Where To Buy?

Communities > Forums > Florida Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Florida GardeningReplies: 15, Views: 143
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rickdeckard
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 17, 2006
12:28 PM

Post #2514739

Greetings, can anyone point me to where common Florida Milkweed plants are sold in the Tampa Bay area?
I saw a couple places online where I could order seeds but I'm really looking for plants that have already been started for a butterfly garden project this summer.
Thanks in advance!
jnana
South Florida, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 17, 2006
12:32 PM

Post #2514748

Are you referring to Asclepias curassavica or to the other Florida native Asclepias?

If it is the first one you can find them at Home Depot and Lowe's and at any nursery that sells butterfly plants. The natives are much harder to get and you will have to go to a specialized native nursery.
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 17, 2006
12:33 PM

Post #2514750

Rick,

Asl Currv, the common milkweed, can usually be purchased at Home Depot or Lowes.

Molly
:^)))
donlaclair
New Port Richey, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 17, 2006
2:12 PM

Post #2515021

Rick,I'm up in New Port Richey and have noticed the HD and Lowes in this area haven't had any for a couple of weeks now.Don't know if their suppliers have run out or if just between plantings.If you have tried the local nurseries and all the box stores and haven't had any luck,I've got probably 100 or so in pots and could spare a few.
A.Curassavica
Don

photo here's what I do with mine

Thumbnail by donlaclair
Click the image for an enlarged view.

donlaclair
New Port Richey, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 17, 2006
2:19 PM

Post #2515052

Rick,If you go to the RU this saturday in riverview I'll bring some for you. Don

Photo: hangin out waiting to dry off wait for flight instructions

Thumbnail by donlaclair
Click the image for an enlarged view.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 18, 2006
1:08 AM

Post #2517438

Rick,
A wonderful place to buy plants is the USF Botanical Gardens. You just missed their butterfly festival where they had lots of vendors with milkweed. Their plant shop always has a lot of interesting items, and many growers put their not-as-popular plants there to sell. So you can find a lot of native plants and stuff you don't see at all the chain stores. Keep an eye out for the fall plant festival coming October 14-15. It is a huge deal. But if you see a crazed woman with a green wheelbarrow full of bromeliads - stay out of my way! Hee hee.

Melanie
rickdeckard
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2006
12:29 PM

Post #2522551

Thanks so much for the responses! Yep I have checked the big shops here (Walmart, Home Depot, Target, Lowes) but
there just isn't any Milkweed. I was hoping to score the FL native variety but basically if it will attract a
couple Monarchs I'm not going to be picky. The USF gardens is indeed awesome and I've visited a couple plant sales
but had no idea about that butterly festival. I'll make a note of the upcoming Oct sale though, thanks.
Hi Don what's this about an RU, that mean Roundup? Local plant enthusiast gathering? Where and when in Riverview?

EDIT - Ah ok I see the RU threads now, reading up on it.

This message was edited Jul 19, 2006 8:35 AM
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2006
12:54 PM

Post #2522587

If you come to the ru I'll bring you some seed.
;)
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 19, 2006
12:57 PM

Post #2522594

Well, I think I can find a couple seedlings too to bring to the roundup.

Molly
:^))))
halo
Citra, FL

July 19, 2006
2:47 PM

Post #2522971

My milkweed plants are full of fluffy seeds right now. If anyone wants some I can send them to you. I dont know exactly how to save and plant them, but I guess as they float down they seed themselves. I have handfulls of them.
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 19, 2006
4:14 PM

Post #2523346

Halo,

The hardest part is keeping them from blowing away in the wind.

Collect them, wrap them in a paper towel to absorb any moisture, then after a couple days you can put them into seed envelopes.

Molly
:^))))
halo
Citra, FL

July 19, 2006
4:20 PM

Post #2523366

Thanks, Molly. They have so many seeds on them that they look like cotton plants.
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 19, 2006
4:27 PM

Post #2523395

They sure do!!!! I have some wild pine woods milkweed. I watch their pods everyday and don't ya just know as soon as I turn my back, they pop open and blow off in the wind.

Ooops, but I did catch a few of them stuck in the bushes.

Molly
donlaclair
New Port Richey, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 19, 2006
4:45 PM

Post #2523474

Rick,
The Round Up is at Ariel's home this saturday morning 10 am. Those that can will bring plants and/or food to pass and those that can't will just come.I'm sure no one will leave hungry or without aleast a few new plants.But even more important having made many new friends and being able to put name to faces and interest.Hopefully the first of many to come.If your interested in going please d-mail Ariel for directions and so she can keep the head count. or just do it on the Round Up thread.
Don
Serenepink
Wesley Chapel, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2006
7:56 PM

Post #2524092

I will be there.. Guava cake and all! I am looking forward to meeting you all.
margaran
(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 21, 2006
3:28 AM

Post #2529514

Rick,

It's probably good the big box stores had no milkweed. haven't yet found an unsprayed Milkweed in one of those stores- and I've tried. The cats die or pupate wrong.

maggie

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Florida Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Florida Gardening Magazine - does anyone here subscribe? JaxFlaGardener 58 Apr 16, 2013 7:48 PM
Native Plant (wanted) Botanyguy 16 Jun 6, 2008 6:20 PM
Duranta budgielover 26 Jul 21, 2008 10:36 PM
Jeremy's Mystery sugarweed 11 Jun 12, 2011 9:23 PM
Do Tall Bearded Iris grow in Florida? JaxFlaGardener 67 Jun 20, 2008 6:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America