Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Trash to Treasure: Craft ideas for old windows

Communities > Forums > Trash to Treasure
bookmark
Forum: Trash to TreasureReplies: 50, Views: 2,618
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lavenderwolf
Abilene, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2006
7:45 PM

Post #2527758

We are replacing all our windows. The old ones are single pane. Most still have the glass. Some do not. The wood is weathered looking. Any craft ideas? So far I plan on making shadow boxes out of a few. I would love to hear your ideas!
Thanks,
wolf

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 20, 2006
8:35 PM

Post #2527951

You can faux stain glass or etch them and hang them either indoors or out. I think there's also a spray out there that'll mirror them and you can alternate the panels. They may also look nice mounted from brackets on a fence so that it stands away from the fense and gives a 3d look. the brackets would be on both top and bottom to brevent them swaying. They can be used as picture frames as well. I've also seen some with flowers pressed between the original pane and glass.

Theyu can also have the glass removed and cork alone or wrapped in fabric replaced in the spaces for memo boards. you can also use them to make panels over a frame for a cold frame by hinging one side and using dowels to prop the other side open as needed.

I can go on and on...there are several good craft books out there with ideas for recycling things like this or found at yard sales or flea markets.
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2006
9:19 PM

Post #2528096

Hi Wolf,

Here is what I do with old windows and scraps of stained glass:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/606918/

Thumbnail by WUVIE
Click the image for an enlarged view.

SoCal
Huntington Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

July 30, 2006
5:16 PM

Post #2566891

Hi Wolf,

I also love to find old windows to put into my garden. Here is a picture of what I did with one of them. The paint on the glass is glass paint and painted from the back side. We attached it to the house very firmly. lol

I also just got another larger one with 6 or 8 panes of glass from my dads neighbor. I'm still thinking about how I want to do that one too.

Donna

Thumbnail by SoCal

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 30, 2006
9:15 PM

Post #2567689

Socal,

Great treatment to the window. I pictured several ceramic other media brightly colored frogs surrounding it, kind-of trying to figure out how they could get into the window to the lily pads. Could be a nice 3d addition.
TXSWETIE
Big Lake, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2006
9:41 PM

Post #2567774

I have turned one into a pot rack. I hung it from the ceiling with chain and put hooks in it to hold pots. I have seen one on TV the other day where they made one into a coffee table. They made a box for it and put the window on top for a shadow box affect.
SoCal
Huntington Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

July 30, 2006
11:12 PM

Post #2568132

Fl, that's a great idea with the frogs. I'll have to look for some nice ones to put on the frame. This is right across from my pond...hence the lily pads.

Donna

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

July 30, 2006
11:31 PM

Post #2568197

or on the wall
somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

August 2, 2006
7:45 AM

Post #2577748

SoCal~So pretty! I have an old window...I need to find someone to paint it! Where do you live???? Oh ya! I just went and looked...Huntington Beach, CA...I'll drop it off on my way to Vegas to see my DD & DN at the end of the month...wait...I guess it's not on my way:) I wish it were, that's beautiful. K~
SoCal
Huntington Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

August 2, 2006
3:08 PM

Post #2578489

Thank you for the nice compliment, but I have to give the painting credit to my sister as she is the artist. I only gave her the idea and the glass. lol

Oh, and if it's too hot in Vegas, just take a short cut and come by the beach area. It's in the low 80's with a lovely breeze.

Donna
somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2006
4:13 PM

Post #2603446

YOu never know who may show up on your doorstep:) We were at the Oregon coast camping this past weekend...beautiful, windy but no rain. Perdect for DH and friends kites.
SoCal
Huntington Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

August 10, 2006
6:13 AM

Post #2606339

K, that sounds like a lovely area to go camping. Glad you all had a good time. I haven't been camping for several years and I do miss it. I was raised in a camping family and we used to camp everywhere...loved it and now I'm just too old to sleep on the ground anymore. lol

Donna
somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2006
6:38 AM

Post #2606353

We love camping...we bought an Aero bed and love it. I would like to get the frame. My DPs bought us a bigger tent so I can really set up house. DH, DB and DF are planning and designing a camp trailer that will be all inclusive. I'd like to get bunks for kiddos that want to stay and the little tall room that holds the potty so I don't have to wake DH to take me to the potty. I sleep pretty well with a little help so do make it till am now:) My fibromyalgia doesn't make sleeping anywhere much fun so what's the difference? We like tent camping too...call us crazy...not that I would turn down a nice trailer but for the $$$ I'll stick to the tent. Camping anywhere in the Pacific Northwest is wonderful. We did enjoy Yellowstone and Mt Rushmore too. My sis-in-law and I have taken our 7 kids to 23/24 different states by car to include British Columbia on my end and Mexico on hers when she lived in San Diego. We've also been to Big Island, HI and Oahu for 2 months when she lived there. Not by car...:)

Starzz

Starzz
Newcastle, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2006
9:17 AM

Post #2610204

I used big old window frames for a rose trellis..glass removed.

Thumbnail by Starzz

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 12, 2006
8:49 AM

Post #2613916

Hi wolf,

Wow! Lucky you. Old windows are an awesome find. So many things you can do with them. Here are a few that I like:

Replace panes with mirrors. (paint, distress, stain wood as desired). Hang on wall as you would any large mirror. I've seen some gorgeous examples with coat of white paint over existing/partially peeling paint, sanded off in places for that shabby chic look. Wall "mirrors" of this type are quite expensive.

Paint in a color to match the external trim on your house and place window on a windowless exterior wall of your house. This works esp well on a garage wall - to break up the huge, windowless expanse. Can also add a window box planted with colorful flowers to continue the illusion and/or "hang" curtains on the inside of the window (against the house).

Replace panes with mirrors and hang on a garden wall to give the illusion of a larger garden. Best used where it will reflect a very lovely shrub, tree, etc.

Put eye bolts in top of window frame. Suspend window from ceiling via decorative
chain to make a sort of "room or space divider". The open design helps to dilineate space without closing off the space.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

August 13, 2006
2:43 PM

Post #2617655

Here are the windows that caught my eye when they had gourds growing on them.

Arizonabelle lives up the road from me and I would pass her house all the time. Since I love gourds, I decided to stop (being the shy person that I am) and introduce myself. We are now great friends and she has joined DG...and my group of Gourd ladies.

These windows look great when they have things growing on them. Jo

Thumbnail by roadrunner

lavenderwolf
Abilene, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 16, 2006
1:42 PM

Post #2628172

Hey everyone! Yall have all had such WONDERFUL ideas! I may have enough windows to try them all! I am going to make a large cold frame first then use the rest for fun stuff. Thank you all so much for the ideas.

Lavenderwolf
lovemy3sons
Gambrills, MD

December 31, 2006
10:54 PM

Post #3040193

Hi Everyone! Happy New Years! Yes this is what DH and I are doing this new years'. He's going to the Outback Steak House to pick up some salads and appetizers and we will be staying in! I have been googling my fingers off to try and find some ideas for the old wood window I have. Originally my plan was to paint beautiful flowers on them, so I enrolled in Donna Dewberry's class. I am enjoying that, but my painting is not reading for display so I will continue that. Over the holiday I made some windows for friends and daughter in laws. They turned out beautiful but there is no real skill involved. I bought the crackle paint from Michaels. Took all the glass out of the windows and bought mirror to go in, in place of the glass. The crackle effect is really neat. You have to use their undercoat and their top coat. One one, I painted white first, then the black. When the black started to do its crackle thing the white came through. Once dried, I put a coat of modge podge on it, and on this one, I put four white porcelin nobs accrose the botttom to hang keys on. It really looked great. I've done four others in different colors. Mine had a gold base with white over top. Its going in my foyer to add a little more light. I am going to do coffee tables and end tables, and probably something from the ceiling to hang pots and pans. I'm really looking for something else though. Does anyone have any links to places that have more that a couple of windows. I'm really batting a big fat zero. Thanks for your help! I look forward to getting to know you folks in the weeks and months to come. Have a good night.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 9, 2007
12:07 AM

Post #3066388

THANKS everyone for all these GREAT ideas! Now, I just need to find some old windows!

What talented and crafty folks y'all are!

lovemy3sons: Can you post a photo of some of those that you've done?

Lin

kyjoy
Frankfort, KY

January 16, 2007
4:55 PM

Post #3089837

I have friend who turned hers into a pot hanger for her kitchen. Very attractive.
larlienda
Strasburg, VA
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2007
3:28 PM

Post #3163143

here's a link to various window projects...

http://www.meganandscott.com/Projects_Ideas_OldWindows1.htm

i'm saving windows to make a big greenhouse...any i come across that won't work for that project i will definitely find some use for with all of the suggestions :-)

lynda
larlienda
Strasburg, VA
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2007
3:36 PM

Post #3163165

yet another site...

http://www.robomargo.com/windows.html
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 7, 2007
12:52 PM

Post #3165970

Thanks, Lynda. So many great ideas.
larlienda
Strasburg, VA
(Zone 6b)

February 7, 2007
7:50 PM

Post #3167146

Your welcome :-)
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 22, 2007
2:52 AM

Post #4003935

Wuvie, How did you make those big beautiful colored panes...That is just to pretty.
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2007
7:15 PM

Post #4005654

Hi Dahtzu,

Many thanks! Someone on the highway put out a bunch of old windows
with a sign that read "TAKE FREE". So I did.

I knocked out the clear panes, then used sheets of stained glass to make
a new window. Some of the old panes popped right out, so after tracing around
the glass on the sheet of stained glass, a pistol grip glass cutter was used,
silicone was used to hold and seal the glass and wa-la.

If you don't want to buy stained glass, you can also clean the existing panes,
then apply Gallery Glass or other glass paint to the panes in your choice of
color.

You can also glue tempered glass to the panes, then grout. This is
yet another project in the making.

:-) KM
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 24, 2007
11:52 PM

Post #4013444

Thanks Wuvie, I've been looking and reading all the threads here and I believe you can do anything. So much talent. Love your work.
Faye
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2007
12:23 AM

Post #4013564

Aw, Faye, you're making me blush!

I just have fun. :-)
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2007
12:32 AM

Post #4013609

Wuvie..you have fun, but you also have a BIG bunch of talent, and it shows. Keep posting..I'm loving it.
4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2007
2:16 AM

Post #4042983

Ditto here, datzhu-WUVIE always has interesting posts. :-)
I love the window trellises - and Arizonabelle's is a sculpture! Very appropriate for AZ.
nice.
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

October 3, 2007
10:24 PM

Post #4045799

How about the sides to a green house? And if they move up and down that would be even better.

Lavina

This message was edited Oct 3, 2007 6:25 PM
Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 4, 2007
4:38 AM

Post #4047061

I have a project on the back burner that I'd like to share. I have a very small kitchen, in fact it's really too small to even house a table. Unfortunately I also have very limited counter space so I NEED a table.

My friend gave me a great old 5-paned window in a rather unusual shape that is about to become a service/utility table. When I remodeled my kitchen a few years ago I did a mosaic pattern on my counter-top with tiles cut from broken Fiesta dishes and I plan to follow that same pattern on my new table. I'm intending to break out the remaining glass and place plywood on the under-side. Then I will will place the tiles between the the individual frames and grout and seal just as I did the counter. I have some old porch posts that will serve as legs and voila a table is born.
Brender
Topsham, ME
(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2007
10:03 AM

Post #4047284

Can't wait to see that!!!
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

October 4, 2007
2:07 PM

Post #4047720

What an imagination! It should be wonderful! Jo
4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2007
3:53 PM

Post #4048141

Beyond imagination, the talent, patience and skill to execute the idea-wonderful!
Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 4, 2007
5:20 PM

Post #4048480

I have the imagination and the patience and it really takes a minimal amount of talent and skill. It's time that always puts a hurt on me. This was originally intended as last winter's project, but winter slipped away and before I knew it I was out in the garden (at which time all else comes to a screaming halt). I'm glad I made my plan public as now I have a push to get me going. Pictures to follow. Promise.
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 17, 2007
8:09 PM

Post #4094196

Lala _Jane, I'm so impressed..What an imagination. Please post before and after pic.
YGF Faye
morasha
Portland, OR

June 26, 2010
3:30 PM

Post #7923022

I have a bunch of old windows and wanted to make a garden wall out of them. The only thing I'm worried about is the possibility of lead pant getting into my dirt. Should I strip the windows first? any ideas?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2010
8:02 AM

Post #7924595

Lala Jane, did you ever get your table made? Do you LOVE it? Can we see pictures???? PLlllleeezzzzzee???
p2_glassgarden
Alachua, FL

June 29, 2010
4:28 PM

Post #7931230

Morasha, Have you thot about sealing with a clear coat such as polyurethane? Would be safer than stripping.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

August 23, 2010
7:52 PM

Post #8058385

I hit the JackPot I was given 30 old windows today not all are in good shape but ill find some way to use them The Good ones will be saved till I have enough for my green house
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2010
3:46 PM

Post #8077029

^_^ Great!
sab66
Rensselaer, IN

September 4, 2010
6:08 PM

Post #8080665

I have 3 pieces of very thick glass...maybe 1/4 inch and about 18"x24"...the wooden frames have rotted off. They were used as storm windows for the basement windows. Dad was excited when he saw them and told me to keep them. I'm not sure why. I think he said they don't make glass like that anymore. They 've been in my garage...waiting. I don't have a clue. Does anyone have a suggestion?
free2danz
Maysville, NC

October 2, 2010
1:37 PM

Post #8133377

This is a table I made from an old window..a few heavy duty two sided screws, a drill to drill the holes for the screws into the underside corners and some wood glue to reinforce the legs..I used some porch railing spindles for those. I cut some trim out from some scrap wood and wedged it in between the legs and wood glued it to reinforce and then sanded it a bit and painted it .If you want to get in a little deeper you could always mosaic the glass and then grout and seal it and put a nice piece of glass over the whole top to protect your work from breaking if you have little ones. or you can also stick pictures and special things inside between the glass. Hope this helps!

Thumbnail by free2danz

roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2010
1:48 PM

Post #8133387

Very, Very nice!! Jo
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 3, 2010
7:39 AM

Post #8134540

another great idea JO
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

October 4, 2010
3:55 AM

Post #8136158

Nice table
SAB66
there are lots of things you can do with them.
Paint pictures on them what size and how big are they ?
J2222
Southern California, CA

October 4, 2010
4:54 PM

Post #8137523

Free: really nice table you made oo spindles and windows. Talent! Sounds like you really know how to put things together with 2 sided screws, and cutting scrap wood for trim. Wow. I know nothing about that kind of repair/repurpose.
SAB66: How old do you think the glass is? If it is the kind with the bubbles it might be really nice as is in front of a window,just to show the aged bubbles. 2 holes could be drilled in the glass and a small chain could hang it or maybe they could go in a frame and hang. Or a crochet doily in between two glass pieces and displayed on the wall or instead of a crochet doily a collage of paper things you love or a fabric collage.
Starz: Love the trellis in the garden and also love all the links on windows-lots of creative do-able ideas in those.

This message was edited Oct 4, 2010 4:05 PM
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2010
9:31 PM

Post #8138509

Google images has a lot of great ideas http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&source=imghp&biw=1152&bih=749&q=old+window+ideas&gbv=2&aq=8&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=old+window&gs_rfai=
prettymess
San Jose, CA

October 5, 2010
11:48 AM

Post #8139333

my friend in NY redid his old house and it still had the original windows on it from whne he was a kid. He replaced all the windows and covered a wall in the attic with the windows, its the guest room, i stayed there in june and was completely floored by the wall of windows.
J2222
Southern California, CA

October 5, 2010
12:21 PM

Post #8139373

Juney: Love the links and I saw Starzz's trellis made of windows there!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America