Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
stressbaby
Fulton, MO

July 23, 2006
12:07 PM

Post #2537193

I have a dragonfruit about 12" tall. After several weeks of watching this plant do nothing since I got it, I've finally got some nice new growth!

What do you use for support? I was thinking of using an old locust branch, as it would be slow to decay. I've read of wrapping the support in burlap which, when soaked with dilute liquid fert, would permit uptake of the fert by the aerial roots...anybody tried this?

What is your preferred growing medium? I currently use a cactus mix on the rich side.

Thanks
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 24, 2006
8:28 PM

Post #2542865

I treat my dragonfruit like a cactus and neglect it! It's doing fine but I live in a hot & humid area with mucky soil. Most people here grow them on a cabbage palm tree.
Ncasselberryfla
Geneva, FL
(Zone 9b)

July 25, 2006
2:05 AM

Post #2544465

Mine is growing all over my cypress board fence and has had to be trimmed several times to keep it out of the grapefruit tree nearby. In Central Florida we put them on palm trees or you put a 4 X 4 in the ground with 2 feet in and 6 or more feet out (depending on length). On top of this attach a large horizontal square shaped piece of thick gauge wire, or other very sturdy wire mesh. It should stick out on all four sides about 2-3 feet on all four sides with the post attached to it in the middle underneath. Plant the dragon fruit a the base and let it climb. Train it to the top and let it spill over the sides of the wire. Keep it trimmed away from touching the ground. This makes harvesting easy and many commercial growers use this method or similar here. I don't feed mine often, except for a shot of Miracle Gro or Peter's from the liquid hose sprayer when I am fertilizing other plants nearby and it got a couple of fruits in its scend year already--the solid red ones.
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 25, 2006
10:42 AM

Post #2545524

Good info! I have cuttings to plant, I think I will try that 4x 4 way
digital_dave
Springfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 26, 2006
2:23 AM

Post #2548568

Ncasselberryfla - that reminds me of grape growing techniques (but not quite that tall) although the plants couldn't be more different.. I too have some small dragonfruits rooted and waiting for the growth spurt.
stressbaby
Fulton, MO

July 26, 2006
11:10 AM

Post #2549547

Dave, do you plan to keep yours in containers? I'm also trying to figure out if this would ever be a plant for the ground bed in the GH. Thanks.
digital_dave
Springfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

July 26, 2006
12:39 PM

Post #2549719

Interesting you should mention that. It is amazing how well certain plants do in the ground in the GH (for me usually escapees or volunteers). Perhaps that suggests that they really don't like being in pots (or they don't like my light mix or they dry out too fast.)

I really don't know what to do with the dragonfruits, or the papaya seedlings, or the Key Lime seedlings, or the bananas, or any number of things that won't fit back into the greenhouse at frost time. As fast as people say thay grow, mine are still so small that I won't have to face this problem for another year.

As neat as they are, when my daughter from Orlando comes up for Christmas these may be some of the tropicals that go back with her.
stressbaby
Fulton, MO

July 26, 2006
11:09 PM

Post #2552299

That has been my experience. Plants that struggle in pots grow better in ground beds. Plants that grow OK in pots really take off in ground beds. I have banana leaves growing right up into the roof.

It sure would be easier to support a dragonfruit with it planted in a GH ground bed, but I don't know how it would tolerate the well-amended loam I have in those beds.

SB
LindaCA
Concord, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 27, 2006
3:52 PM

Post #2554819

Gosh, could you guys post pictures . Mine is growing in a pot and I can't seem to control it. I would love to see how yours are supported.
Thanks
Linda
tulloch52
bundaberg
Australia

August 7, 2006
4:16 AM

Post #2594789

For JItbaw,
If you do not have a lot of space a dig a two foot hole stand in a single post say six/seven/eight foot pole and place the pot at base and let climb. Secure with soft rope and away it goes.

For All Dragon FRUIT Lovers.
The best type of fertiliser is the foliage type. Here we have "Seasol" but any seaweed based type will do . Make the spray on the "weak" scale and spray every month until flowering and then stop. the fruit will follow. once again on limitede space if you wish to keep in pot place at base of a tree. I have also used "CHARLIE CARP" made from fish to bring Dragon Fruit in to flower. Spray as weak solution once a month. Worked for me !!.

Successful growing everyone from===Bazza==Bundaberg==Qld==Australia.

This message was edited Jun 3, 2007 2:59 PM
stressbaby
Fulton, MO

November 25, 2006
8:38 PM

Post #2943505

Here is what I ended up with. Do you think it will work?

Thumbnail by stressbaby
Click the image for an enlarged view.

stressbaby
Fulton, MO

November 25, 2006
8:39 PM

Post #2943507

Detail

Thumbnail by stressbaby

stressbaby
Fulton, MO

November 25, 2006
8:43 PM

Post #2943513

The wood is cedar and I treated the ends. Here is the plant, still in its little pot, set inside the new contraption just for fun. It has grown a little. ;-) I plan on getting some named varieties in the spring and planting maybe one on each cedar support.

Thumbnail by stressbaby

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

November 26, 2006
4:29 AM

Post #2944439

SB,
Here's how I use to grow my epipyhllum before I planted in the ground in the greenhouse.
I went and bought one of those white round 13 gallon trash containers,at the dollar store,it was at least 2ft tall,and made a 3 prong trellis,similar to what you have,but was about 6 ft tall,believe me these plants get real heavy,in a couple years.
Right now,mine is about 10ft tall in the greenhouse,it was growing up the wall reaching over to the banana plant about to pull it over.
stressbaby
Fulton, MO

November 26, 2006
1:17 PM

Post #2944819

Tropicman, how is yours doing in the ground in the greenhouse? What sort of soil did you use? I considered doing that, but my beds have a fairly moisture-retentive clay.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

November 26, 2006
4:48 PM

Post #2945302

SB,
I amended the soil,with a lot of peat and sand and compost,I just planted it in August,in the ground,it was already 6ft,and now you can see in the pic it has hit the 10ft ceiling and starting it's way back down,I had a weak ruby
glow passiflora cutting,that I didn't think was going to survive,and planted it a couple feet away,and to my surprise it has grown to the ceiling as well.
My compost must have had a little extra nitrogen,for the epie,has only flowered once and that was right after I planted it,and I haven't fertilized any since planting.
jeaninpgh
Pittsburgh, PA

December 10, 2006
12:48 AM

Post #2986289

a grower told me to place tomato cages into big pots & let the dragin friuts grow thru that & just tie for support as it grows,...
kevino
Merritt Island, FL

December 16, 2006
7:01 AM

Post #3003242

I have mine in a raised catus bed, competing with fruiting Opuntia (prickly pear). I made the soil very sandy and hardly ever add any organic matter to it. The dragon fruit has been flowering (beautiful) white flowers which open at night. I've never gotten a single fruit out of the blossoms.
I'll try to post an entry in my rare fruit photo blog http://myrarefruitphotos.blogspot.com/ real soon.
cyberageous
Everglades, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 26, 2006
10:15 AM

Post #3025373

My dragon fruit has never flowered. Can you take a picture, kevino?

I found a great link of all the varieties of dragon fruit!
http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/dragon/index.htm

This message was edited Dec 26, 2006 6:20 AM

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 31, 2006
7:24 AM

Post #3038242

That is a beautiful site, cyberageous.

I bought a dragon fruit the other day and have no clue when or how to eat it. Can anyone tell me? Thanks

Thumbnail by Kell

stressbaby
Fulton, MO

December 31, 2006
11:44 AM

Post #3038357

Just what I have read...

Slice in half and scoop out the center with a spoon...often better chilled.

Edited to add a couple of questions...

My dragonfruit (above) now is 7.5-8 feet tall. Cutting off the top of the plant is supposed to induce lateral branching. Can anyone tell me how much to cut off? I was guessing 8-10" only because this was the size of my first cutting.

Also, the top of the plant is sending out the aerial rootlets, but this is several inches above the wooden structure. Should I remove them?

SB

This message was edited Dec 31, 2006 6:49 AM

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 31, 2006
6:49 PM

Post #3039377

Thank you!
tulloch52
bundaberg
Australia

June 5, 2007
4:50 AM

Post #3576678

For Stressbaby,
If you must keep the Dragon Fruit Plant in the pot you should place it at the base of a good strong tree and remove the stakes as it developes quite quickly it will "ramble" every where and do not "PRUNE" for a couple of years to let it develop flowers and fruit. Can someone please advise this amateur PC user how to add a photo. Thanks from Tulloch52.
stressbaby
Fulton, MO

June 5, 2007
12:00 PM

Post #3577075

Tulloch,

For a photo, click "browse" next to the image box below your new message (every photo must have at least a small typed message). Find the photo on your computer, double click the path into the image box, and send. I have found it helpful to resize larger images to 600x800 or less.

Unfortunately, I do not have a tree on which to grow this plant, because my climate require that the thing remain in the greenhouse. I did prune, I really had no option in this matter, because by January I had this:

Thumbnail by stressbaby

stressbaby
Fulton, MO

June 5, 2007
12:03 PM

Post #3577085

I pruned (and rooted two new plants!) and by early May I had this:

Thumbnail by stressbaby

tulloch52
bundaberg
Australia

June 6, 2007
2:54 AM

Post #3580788

For Stressbaby,
Photos of Dragon Fruit And developing flowers. i feel sadened to tell you that i do not think you will get Flowers/fruit by pruning so early. I pray that i am wrong.

Thumbnail by tulloch52

tulloch52
bundaberg
Australia

June 6, 2007
3:13 AM

Post #3580874

For DRAGON FRUIT Lovers,
The most Buds/Flowers i have grown on one stem so far is SEVEN but still no fruit. I have now tried watering in to the roots- POT ASH- so hopefuly fruit will follow the next flowering. please feel free to comment.

Thumbnail by tulloch52

stressbaby
Fulton, MO

June 6, 2007
12:51 PM

Post #3581711

Well, growing these kinds of plants in Missouri is one grand experiment! We'll find out!
gingerlily
Paxton, FL
(Zone 8a)

June 6, 2007
6:10 PM

Post #3582919

stressbaby, if at some point you find you have more cuttings than you want, I sure would love to trade something with you. Would like to get a start on these. I will have to keep it in the greenhouse too, cause I'm on the panhandle of FL and we do get some freezing temps.
stressbaby
Fulton, MO

June 6, 2007
10:10 PM

Post #3583964

Gingerlily, you have Dmail.
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 14, 2007
7:12 PM

Post #3735820

I just purchased a dragonfruit and we have ours planted to grow on our chain fence - does anyone know if this will work? It seems to have grown already?
SarahUCM
Santa Cruz, CA
(Zone 10a)

August 14, 2007
1:54 AM

Post #3854397

Would any of you with run away dragon fruit plants be willing to part with some cuttings? We discovered these plants on a trip to Mexico last year and loved them. I'm so excited to hear they can be grown in a greenhouse in the states.

wineaux
Tucson, AZ

August 14, 2007
10:28 AM

Post #3855096

from the Beginner's Guide to grow Dragon Fruit in the home garden.
Look for a south facing wall or fence to lean the plant against. Find a warm spot with 1/2 day sunshine. Remember to stake the plant so it grows erect.

The soil should be sandy with good drainage.you can add compost, organic matter, peralite or vermiculite to improve drainage.

When the weather turns cold and the growth slows down, let the soil dry out. Water lightly if the soil is too dry. :-)
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2007
2:40 PM

Post #3855787

wineaux are you growing this one in the ground?
wineaux
Tucson, AZ

August 14, 2007
4:40 PM

Post #3856122

At this time I have 7 growing in 5 gal. or more containers but in the fall some will be going into the ground.
ManicReality
Houston, TX
(Zone 10a)

August 24, 2007
5:17 AM

Post #3893630

This is all great news, thanks ya'll
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2007
2:49 PM

Post #3894820

Ok can you tell me where to purchase them? I have tried twice with cutting and managed to send the cutting to their grave!!
zebraman
Venice, CA
(Zone 10a)

September 11, 2007
5:39 PM

Post #3963023

Hey Guys;Dragon fruit is pollinated by fruit bats.If you don't have any of these in your neighborhood,you will need to hand pollinate.
LindaCA
Concord, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2007
9:42 PM

Post #4062328

Stressbaby or anyone with dragonfruit experience,
How do you root your cuttings? Also do you root the cutting before you mail it?
Thanks Linda
zebraman
Venice, CA
(Zone 10a)

October 9, 2007
2:58 AM

Post #4063546

Hey Guy's; Epiphytic Cactus are really easy to root. Stick the "down end" into moist sand and don't let dry out, but not waterlogged either.They root fairly quickly.I personally grow them for the flowers only as I think the fruit is overrated.
wineaux
Tucson, AZ

October 9, 2007
3:49 AM

Post #4063717

I have also just laid them on their side on top of soil and they root.
LindaCA
Concord, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2007
4:09 AM

Post #4063800

Thanks so much. Mine has lots of air roots so I will give it a try. Mine has never bloomed but I have only had it about a year or so.
Linda
Heavinscent
South West, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2007
3:57 PM

Post #4203283

Wineaux, the cuttings you gave me last year are nearly 6ft tall and look great! No flowers yet thou. Does anyone know the min temp they can take?
Thanks
Caren
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 17, 2007
4:09 PM

Post #4203333

Plant Files lists them as zone 10a for a minimum hardiness, so I would guess based on that they can't take any frost. So I'd probably bring them in or protect them if you're going to have a night that gets into the mid 30's or colder. But sometimes things are a little tougher than they get credit for, so if someone comes along who has personal experience with how hardy these are then I'd trust them over me!
wineaux
Tucson, AZ

November 18, 2007
12:30 AM

Post #4204717

Wow, Caren...I don't remember sending you a cutting but I am really glad it is doing so well! LOL According to the beginners guide to growing dragonfruit "In the winter, water once a month. When the plant is dormant the water need is very low. A slight dehydration will help the plant to withstand more cold."
wanna_run_fast
Fort Lauderdale, FL

December 9, 2007
4:04 AM

Post #4276340

Hello Everyone!

Great thread. I have 3 varieties of DF sprawling all over the place, still in their "temporary" pots while I thought about where to put them. (Physical Graffiti, American Beauty and Yellow.) I was thinking about training them up against a couple of queen palms so I was very happy to see Ncasselberry and Cyberageous mention putting them on palm trees! Does anyone have any pictures? How long would them climb or will they only climb until I stop tying them up (probably with pantyhose?) Has anyone tried the "trick" of clipping off the tips to force flowering? Did it work?

Thanks
WRF
kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2007
2:53 AM

Post #4295829

Hello All!!
I have have been lurking..watching this thread :~)
and was wondering if there is a dwarf dragonfruit?
And are they easy to grow from seed?
wineaux
Tucson, AZ

December 15, 2007
10:02 AM

Post #4296492

Yes you can easily grow the dragon fruit from seed but it takes a long time for maturity. You would be better off finding a cutting. The dragon fruit is a vine and it grows a lot like a tomato vine. It has a verticle center trunk that usually grows to about 5 to 6 feet tall. At the top of the trunk you need to have the right support for the new growth to spill over and it will hang down sort of like a weeping willow. They can become very top heavy so you need a good strong support. But you do want them to flow like the weeping willow motion because the hanging stimulates production of flowers on the ends. I'm sure there are many ways to grow this plant I'm just trying to give you a little idea of what is involved. We just passed the season for when the fruits are usually in the markets but I didn't see any this year. Oh well, maybe next year there will be fruit on mine.
kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2007
12:16 PM

Post #4296612

Thank You Wineaux,
I will try to find a cuting in spring. The Dragonfruit is so interesting
I just gotta try one :*)
Kim
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2007
1:24 PM

Post #4296722

Does anyone know where to find rooted plants of this?
kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2007
1:39 PM

Post #4296767

Hello Marie,
There are some members with this on there trade list.
Saw some on Ebay not long ago. I really want to grow one two!!
Kim
stressbaby
Fulton, MO

December 15, 2007
3:04 PM

Post #4296982

Easy to root from cuttings. Check with me in about 8 weeks if interested.
kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2007
3:18 PM

Post #4297011

Thanks SB!!
:*)
Kim
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2007
1:23 AM

Post #4302012

Except for me my cuttings never seem to root at all.
oldude
New Iberia, LA

December 26, 2007
3:59 PM

Post #4328168

I just received a yellow dragon fruit for Christmas and could use some tips for repotting.
Itís in a half gallon container and about three feet tall.
What PH does this thing like?

Stressbaby, what size pot are you using and how tall are your supports?
Oldude
stressbaby
Fulton, MO

December 27, 2007
12:16 AM

Post #4329420

My big pot is about 30 gallons, I think. The supports are about 6' tall. I have a yellow DF in a 2 gallon pot. I need to cut that one back. I have heard it can be grown in hanging baskets.
oldude
New Iberia, LA

December 29, 2007
5:51 PM

Post #4338118

Could you guys please post your ingredients for a good container soil mix for Dragon fruit? There is so much controversy over the use of Cactus mix that I am looking for something that has worked for you.
Would sand, cypress mulch and cow manure work?
Oldude

wineaux
Tucson, AZ

December 29, 2007
9:28 PM

Post #4338651

Beginner's Guide to grow Dragon Fruit in the home garden:

"Look for a south facing wall to lean the plant against. Find a warm spot with 1/2 day of sunshine. The soil should be sandy with good drainage. You can add composte, organic matter, pearlite ot vermiculite to improve drainage."
imadigger
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 15, 2008
1:43 AM

Post #4403074

Maybe someone on this forum can help me find out what's wrong with my dragon fruit plant. The one 'leaf' is turnig yellow with orange spot. It is not aphids or insects because it in inside the leaf. Could this be a disease? Should I cut off the 'leaf'?

Thumbnail by imadigger

imadigger
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 15, 2008
1:45 AM

Post #4403089

Here is a picture of the whole plant. There is a small 'leaf' near the bottom of plant that is also getting the orange color to the leaf.

Thumbnail by imadigger

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

March 16, 2008
5:59 PM

Post #4670888

imadigger, that looks like rot, possibly from cold. My epi's stay out all year and sometimes get that. I just cut or break it off. The yellow part will usually tear away from the good tissue.

I have Dragon Fruit plants all over my yard. I bought some cuttings for about $2 each at various places like Home Depot and through mail order. As they sprouted branches, I would just cut them off and plant them somewhere else. I have them planted along a six-foot retaining wall, but they do sprawl all over the place, and I should probably support them better. The air roots keep them attached to the wall most of the time. I do have some in containers too. I didn't amend the soil before planting them, and I have clay here, but they seem to do fine even with my heavy watering.

This is how they grow them in Thailand:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Heavinscent
South West, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2008
9:01 PM

Post #4671480

I would love to know how they get them to hang over like that and not break. Once mine get hanging like that they split and break. Maybe I have too much wind here??
Caren
imadigger
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 17, 2008
8:44 PM

Post #4675548

Clare
I cut off the orange parts and so far the plant is doing OK. No more orange. I think that maybe between the wind chill and the low temperature, the plant suffered damage. The weather is warming up now and hopefully it will continue to grow new branches. Maybe someday I will see some fruit.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

March 17, 2008
10:33 PM

Post #4675911

Yeah, it looks like rust on rot, which is from wet/cold. It should do fine because it looks fine otherwise. Sometimes, it even just heals itself. I am hoping for fruit someday too.

Caren, I get breakage too from the wind at times.
Heavinscent
South West, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 18, 2008
9:47 PM

Post #5432424

OMG!!! Ive got a bud! Im shocked it had seemed to come up overnight! I saw a hummer land on it this morning and there it was!
It has been nearly 2 years since I got the cutting so yes Im just a little excited at my first bud! WWWWOOOOOOHHHHHOOOO!

Thumbnail by Heavinscent

kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2008
9:59 PM

Post #5432467

WOW!! Nice : )
imadigger
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 19, 2008
12:00 AM

Post #5432968

Congratulations. Keep watching the bud. It opens at night. I went out and used my makeup brush to try to polinate the flower. We ended up with a fruit. It turned rosy pink and I picked the fruit yesterday. My hubby and I shared it tonight. Not much of a taste, sort of like kiwi.
The flower bloomed July 12th, and the fruit was ripe August 17. Enjoy looking forward to your fruit.
Heavinscent
South West, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2008
12:56 AM

Post #5433217

Did you pollinate with its own pollen or did you have another plant to cross with? Also how long do you think it will be before the bloom opens from this point?
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 19, 2008
12:57 AM

Post #5433226

I found buds too but missed the blooms because I got so busy and forgot about them. I think this picture was taken either in the evening before they bloomed or the next morning.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 19, 2008
12:59 AM

Post #5433237

I was surprised to find fruit on all three blooms since I didn't think we had pollinators in the area. By the way, it has been four years from tiny plants for me since I got them.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 19, 2008
1:01 AM

Post #5433251

I think this was the picture from the next morning.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 19, 2008
1:03 AM

Post #5433262

This is what the buds look like right before they bloom.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

imadigger
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 19, 2008
1:03 AM

Post #5433263

Heavinscent, it took about a week from the time I noticed the flower. I kept checking every day. I didn't want to miss it. LOL
Heavinscent
South West, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2008
1:20 AM

Post #5433355

Thank you both so much I can't wait!! Do they all bloom white? Mine are just labeled red and white but does that refer to the fruits flesh color or the bloom color?
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 19, 2008
1:24 AM

Post #5433368

I think they all bloom white, but different species have different colored flesh: http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/dragon/
stressbaby
Fulton, MO

August 19, 2008
12:18 PM

Post #5435078

Funny that this thread should come up again.

I had 4 blooms earlier this summer, all aborted. Then I got 5 more blooms, and at this point, it looks like I might have my first few DF!

The blooms are really impressive, but yes, easy to miss. Two years from cutting to blooms for me.
PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 19, 2008
12:41 PM

Post #5435141

I would love a cutting to trade if anyone has one to part with.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 19, 2008
7:44 PM

Post #5437359

Robert, that is really fast. Can you show us what yours looks like on the frame that you constructed? One of mine is just attached to a brick retaining wall, but my other ones are flopping around, and I wish that I had them on a better support. Here's a picture of how they are in Thailand. My husband took the picture as he went down the river.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Heavinscent
South West, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2008
8:08 PM

Post #5437480

Mine are 2 years from cutting as well. I thought that was about normal?
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 19, 2008
9:22 PM

Post #5437831

Turlloch, if you are still reading this, I would try Potassium to help with blooms. If you don't have it in fertilizer form, trying laying some banana peels on the ground near the base of the plant and let them deteriorate there.
Heavinscent
South West, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2008
1:33 AM

Post #5467937

Tonight is the night!!!!! Its almost as big as my son's head!

Thumbnail by Heavinscent

Heavinscent
South West, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2008
1:35 AM

Post #5467945

A little more opened now

Thumbnail by Heavinscent

Heavinscent
South West, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2008
1:37 AM

Post #5467958

No fragrance yet but are they? Also it looks pretty alien in here what parts do I pollinate ?

Thumbnail by Heavinscent

kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2008
1:49 AM

Post #5468022

What charmer you son is !! That bloom is scifi...I love it!

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2008
1:53 AM

Post #5468055

WOW, so amazed here in NY, send her to me, lol!
Heavinscent
South West, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2008
1:55 AM

Post #5468070

Thank you, he's such a ham!

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2008
2:15 AM

Post #5468175

So tonight will be?
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

August 26, 2008
3:13 AM

Post #5468426

Looking good! I don't think you have to worry about pollinating. It may be self-polinating. I got fruit on all three of my blooms.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

September 6, 2008
6:45 PM

Post #5516716

I just picked one of these yesterday:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

September 6, 2008
6:45 PM

Post #5516719

The fruit is sweet but mild-tasting:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

September 6, 2008
6:46 PM

Post #5516722

I found another flower on a different plant too:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2008
7:37 PM

Post #5516906

You are so lucky! Sprinkle some lime juice and a little powder sugar, you'll see that the flavor intensifies!
kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2008
7:55 PM

Post #5516966

WOW!! Congrats Caren!!!
Clemen lime juice and sugar sounds yummy :p
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2008
10:32 PM

Post #5517651

Hi Clare,
Did you start that from seed,or cutting,and how long to fruit?
I got some seedlings about 3 yrs ago ,and they really haven't grown hardly at all.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

September 6, 2008
11:04 PM

Post #5517788

Thanks, All!

Hi Don! Long time no talk to, Buddy! I started them from cuttings about 4 years ago. I bought them at Home Depot for about a $2 each. They had the little colored ball cactus attached to them, but you just take that part off.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2008
11:20 PM

Post #5517859

Thanks I will,what did you do with the colored little balls?
oldude
New Iberia, LA

September 6, 2008
11:22 PM

Post #5517870

Heacinsent
My dragon fruit, pot planted last year just kept dieing back until a couple of months ago when it started to grow and sprout. I thought for sure it would die with all of the rain that we have been getting not to mention hurricane Gustav.
Do you grow yours in containers? Some of the old folks around here told me that it would survive if planted on the south side of the house.
What do you think?
Oldude

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2008
1:27 AM

Post #5518317

Wow Clare only 4 years old and fruit, mine is a little older and no fruit, boo for me. It must be that California weather, so happy for you!

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2008

Post #5518318

Wow Clare only 4 years old and fruit, mine is a little older and no fruit, boo for me. It must be that California weather, so happy for you!

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2008

Post #5518319

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2008

Post #5518321

kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2008
1:30 AM

Post #5518335

You must be really happy Clemen ; }

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2008
3:59 AM

Post #5518867

Something is wrong with DG, did you see my post written several times here, sorry guys not my fault!

Kim, my plant is not blooming, sad here!
kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2008
4:03 AM

Post #5518887

I was just teasing you about all the posts ;P
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2008
4:59 AM

Post #5519110

It was either a echo!!!
Or Daves studdering again!!LOL

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2008
2:27 PM

Post #5519964

good way to put it tropicman!
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2008
3:33 PM

Post #5520214

Or a technology hiccup!!!LOL
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

September 7, 2008
4:47 PM

Post #5520466

Hi Guys!

Oldude, I'm not sure what zone you're in but check out the comments by NativePlantFan9 here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54131/

Clemen, I thought mine was slow because I think some others have gotten fruit sooner. This was the first year for flowers and fruit for me. I've heard that the limbs need to grow up and then hang down to flower so you might try re-arranging them so that a few limbs hang down.

Hi Don, I think the ones that I bought were failed grafts and had the growth already. I think I took that picture the day that I got them, but there were others that had the colored ball cactus attached. I knew that Hylocereus undatus is used as root stock for those colored cacti, which are a colored cultivar of Gymnocalycium mihanovichii, I believe. I don't think that it can survive on its own as it has no chlorophyll so you can just toss them.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2008
5:35 PM

Post #5520691

Thanks Clare,
Will get some and toss them as well,boy ain't Gymnocalycium mihanovichii a mouthful to say!!!LOL
Heavinscent
South West, LA
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2008
5:35 PM

Post #5520695

Mine must need another plant for pollination :( I had 2 blooms and neither are going to make fruit. It could have been that it didn't like being packed up in the garage for Gustav??
I will try again next year but if no fruit come I will have to send it on its way. I do over winter mine in doors and it takes up a pretty large area as you can imagine. If some on e gets some blooms this year I would gladly pay shipping for some pollen
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

September 7, 2008
5:55 PM

Post #5520757

Yeah, I had to look it up because all I could remember was the colored cactus ball.

Heavinscent, I don't think that you need two for pollination. You probably just need the pollinator, but I have a feeling that mine self-pollinated.
Tropicman
Bushland, TX
(Zone 6a)

September 7, 2008
5:59 PM

Post #5520773

I wonder if a sprinkle of sugar on a leaf,would bring pollinators around???

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 8, 2008
1:12 AM

Post #5522272

Clare how do I do that hangiNg down limbs? I have to take a real pic of mine and show it. She is climbing on this sunny wall and growing like crazy. Would love advise, let's see if I can catch a good pic of it!
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

September 10, 2008
1:05 AM

Post #5531583

I found a flower on one of my other plants that looks like a Hylocereus, but I think it is actually Selenicereus testudo. It should be fun to see if fruit follows.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2008
1:08 AM

Post #5531595

Gorgeous Clare!
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

September 10, 2008
1:17 AM

Post #5531654

Clemen, I forgot to answer your question about the hanging down thing. I think you might have to trim or wait until the plant reaches the top of the wall and then let the limbs hang down. Here's a picture of how they do it in Thailand:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2008
2:16 AM

Post #5531964

Clare, OMG, gorgeous vines, mine will never be like that, I do not live in CA, so impress over here! Mine comes inside for the winter
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

September 10, 2008
6:00 AM

Post #5532603

Clemen, I do live in California, but my vines will probably never be like that either. That is in beautiful Thailand. I think that we can both make our vines so that some of the branches end up hanging down so that they can flower for us:-)

This message was edited Sep 9, 2008 11:00 PM

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2008
1:37 PM

Post #5533332

oops I guess I did not read well, thanks for clarifying that.So instead of having my vine climb up, let her hang down. Will need to train her for that. I was even thinking of repotting her and DH says no, what do you think?

This message was edited Sep 30, 2008 8:21 PM
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

October 1, 2008
12:06 AM

Post #5619262

Clemen,

Who do you report Dragon Fruit to?

(Teehee, sorry, couldn't resist!)

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2008
1:20 AM

Post #5619598

Molamola, I'll go back and re edit just for ya ok, it is called mispelling! Sorry.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

October 1, 2008
12:05 PM

Post #5620733

LOL, you needn't have done that. I need a giggle badly with my stock market in such turmoil! Thank you for your time and effort.

I'll now have to make a Dragon Fruit registry! Oh, no! more work on the computer!

And I'll have to photograph the monster that's in the yard of the house I just bought. Someone long ago put one on a Christmas Palm that's close to a sprangledly tall orange tree. The DF has crawled over onto the Orange tree, what a mess! I'll probably just leave them as is. Blooming profusely, repeatedly, and maybe, --maybe-- one fruit. I have my fingers crossed! I'll post a photo later today.

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2008
12:50 PM

Post #5620850

Can't wait to see it!
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

October 5, 2008
1:19 PM

Post #5635278

OK, finally. This plant may be thirty years old. It's collaring a Christmas Palm that's about 20 feet tall. The ONE fruit, haha, is at about five feet off the ground. It is having a third flush of buds since June. It's grown into the 25 foot tall orange tree next to it, but I'll have to get on the roof of the house to get a photo, maybe. Both trees are on the edge of a dropoff that's too steep for me to walk on. The root is nearly two inches thick. If someone were to chop the whole plant and haul it away, they'd need a full sized pickup truck. There are ariel roots to the ground from the top of the beast, above twenty feet high. I've seen this plant growing to the top of a huge casuarina? tree, had to be eighty feet tall. They generally don't set fruit here, boooo.

Thumbnail by Molamola

Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

October 5, 2008
1:20 PM

Post #5635280

Thumbnail by Molamola

Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

October 5, 2008
1:24 PM

Post #5635291

YAY!!! ONE fruit, I hope. But now everyone hates me. Maybe I shouldn't have posted! LOL.

Thumbnail by Molamola

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2008
1:54 PM

Post #5635393

Really nice pictures, now when the fruit has ripen, send it over to NY, hee hee
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

July 11, 2009
6:20 PM

Post #6806953

Neat pictures, Molamola! I got fruit on mine too. I had to leave a big one behind when I moved, but I still have one that I have to plant and stake.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

astcgirl
Brandon, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 4, 2010
10:01 AM

Post #7858453

I need help...I've had my dragon fruit plant for the past two years growing up my oak tree in the back yard...it's gone so high that I can't even reach it now. Sadly I've never seen a fruit. Could it be that there isn't as much sun there because of the tree? Should I cut it down and move it?

As cool as it looks up the tree (very ghostly) I just want a fruit.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

June 4, 2010
10:58 AM

Post #7858576

I would try fertilizing it on a regular basis for at least a year before cutting it down, and you could also start new plants in different growing conditions with cuttings from it. Try a balanced fertilizer or one high in potassium.
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

June 4, 2010
12:09 PM

Post #7858740

The fruit on mine had white insides and the flavor of water. Since the flower has zero fragrance, the plant will eventually be banned, taken to the side of some new road to grace a roadbank.

Google, and you can find nurseries that sell varieties with red interiors and good flavor.
astcgirl
Brandon, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 4, 2010
1:03 PM

Post #7858935

Thanks Clare for the suggestions, I actually don't think I'd have the heart to cut the whole thing down, and will probably do as you suggested and take cuttings. I'll look for high potassium fertilizer also and throw my banana peels on it.

Molamola, so sad that yours didn't taste nice, I hate when you pamper a plant for so long and it doesn't reward you with what you expected.
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 14, 2010
5:53 PM

Post #7888989

stressbaby wrote:Here is what I ended up with. Do you think it will work?

I like your setup. I'll have to try something like that.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Fruits Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Tropicals: Dwarf Pomegranate Calalily 44 Jun 14, 2008 3:00 PM
My Ice Cream banana tree halo 27 Jun 7, 2007 2:41 AM
It just ain't so! :) Vee8ch 29 Sep 1, 2008 5:55 AM
Strawberry guava tropicalaria 58 Aug 21, 2011 8:27 PM
Passion Fruit dwallace59 5 Aug 24, 2007 5:40 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America