Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Roses: Do you have Bonica

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 15, Views: 374
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2001
6:47 PM

Post #8991

and if so would you consider trading rooted cuttings sometime? I have not long moved into a new house and have young plants of the Iceberg rose and the climbing Iceberg which I hope to root in the garden since I don't have much luck rooting them any other way. Thankyou :-)
JSS
Cordova, MD

July 23, 2001
4:15 PM

Post #98754

Hi Louisa!
I just purchaed a bonica a few weeks ago- at least I'm sure it's one- since it's the end of the season, it had been through a lot at the nursery, and it didn;t have the tag on it, but it was in their "bonica" areas with the other bonicas and looked identical to them ( foliage, etc.)
I got the untagged one because it was in the best shape of all of them.
I'd love to send you a cutting, rotted, etc., if you can tell me how. I'm very new at this- growing as well as this site- but would love to try. Let me know!
Jeanne ( JSS)

This message was edited Monday, Jul 23rd 12:16 PM
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2001
11:23 PM

Post #99028

Jeanne what an unexpected and lovely surprise! I usually root roses by putting the cuttings in the soil in the fall and leave them till the following year. It takes longer this way and there are many experts who do it differently. I am providing you with this link so that you can make up your mind which way to go!! By the way - love the typo - 'rotting' roses!! lol

http://davesgarden.com/showthread/16072.html
JSS
Cordova, MD

July 24, 2001
12:26 AM

Post #99055

OOPS! I just realized when I checked the thread again that I did "rotting", not "Rooting"= good thing you knew what I meant!!! I sometimes type so fast that I don't know what I'm spelling!!! So, I'm sure you don't want a rotted one! LOL I will check the link you provided and try my best! I'll let you know how it's going toward the fall when I'm supposed to "root" it- and hope it DOESN't ROT!! LOL!
Jeanne!
lantana

(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2001
1:23 PM

Post #99346

louisa, I would be glad to share cuttings of my Bonicas. However, this time of the year won't work. They are in heat dormancy right now...temps have been over 100 for a couple of weeks now and no relief in sight. The best time would be next spring, but it's possible they might recover enough in the fall to get a decent cutting. However, I don't think that is the best time either. If you want some, let me know. I'll even send some now, but I think it would be better to wait a bit.
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2001
10:12 PM

Post #99656

Jeanne - that was funny huh!! You might want to read up on the rooting process now but not take cuttings now - it's the wrong time of the year. Thanks lantana - that is very generous of you. Yes, I imagine many plants are under stress right now. What an awful drought we are having. I never root them during summer anyway and didn't really mean that I wanted to trade right now :-) I am happy to wait until the time is right which for me usually means the fall or early winter. Did you want iceberg in exchange? Let me know and then I can keep a note of it. Thanks again!!
JSS
Cordova, MD

July 25, 2001
1:11 AM

Post #99805

Hi Louisa! Yes, I read the hyperlink you sent me to and even printed it out for reference. I figured that I should wait until fall ...especially since my bonica is just getting settled in and it needs to get comfy before I go cutting at it! tee-hee! so... I can't wait to try this! And yes, I'd love an "Iceberg"! I was admiring them a couple weeks ago in a catalogue and thought maybe next spring! So.. put me on your list! Thanks!
-JSS =:0)))))
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2001
4:11 PM

Post #100154

It could wait till next Spring Jeanne. That way your shrub rose will be more established and new growth is quite vigorous. Lantana has some established ones and has kindly offered cuttings at a later date. Like I said I'm not in any hurry :-)
JSS
Cordova, MD

July 25, 2001
4:22 PM

Post #100162

Good advice, Louisa! I am amazed at how much I'm learning on this site - thanks to people like and eveyone else!! No problem- spring it is... I'll keep you posted on how she's (the bonica) is doing! I have a name for all my roses- but I haven't come up with one for her yet- I mulling over "Bonnie"- I talk to them all the time and didn;t like not having a name for them when I said good morning or I'll take care of that BAD beetle for you!! tee-hee!
-JSS
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2001
10:11 PM

Post #100319

I talk to all my plants :-)
JSS
Cordova, MD

July 26, 2001
12:38 AM

Post #100382

It's good to know I haven'r totally lost it!! But my husband does think it strange that they all have names- there's Abraham ( Abraham Darby), Billy(Billy Graham), Eve ( my Eden- get it? tee-hee), Geoff (Geoff Hamilton), Sam (Sultry), Sweetie (Sweet Valentine), Emily (Bare Esseance), Baby 1, 2, & 3 ( fopr my 3 Baby Blankets), Kady 1 &2 ( for my Kaliedeoscope), ...and so goes the list- I'd better not name all of them- this message would be some lines... anyway.. am I the only one?
-JSS

This message was edited Wednesday, Jul 25th 8:39 PM
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2001
1:12 AM

Post #100404

I can hardly believe that you have Geoff Hamilton!! He was such a beloved gardener back home and died so suddenly that we were all shocked. I still have my English magazines where he wrote many wonderful features and articles. You also have Abraham Darby and Eden - now I am really coveting your roses. You do know that I have a brand new garden, don't you? Hint, hint, hint...!!!!
JSS
Cordova, MD

July 26, 2001
1:34 AM

Post #100430

Louisa- I LOVE these English roses- I even have them on a special side of my deck so that they are right next to me the minute I walk out on my deck!! I'll post a pic of my Eden's first bloom later or tomorrow! And they're all looking good and have grown so much this year since I planted them!!! I'm going to try cutting and rooting them all- Abraham, Geoff, and Eve and I will definitely send some your way if they take...
they are beautiful aren't they??? And Geoff- a fine rose named after a fine gentleman!!
They're yours if I can root 'em...maybe you should come to Maryland and get them started for me!! tee-hee-
It's pretty country here by the Chesapeake Bay!
-JSS
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2001
1:44 AM

Post #100442

I imagine it's really beautiful where you live. I have been through Maryland and loved it. The Chesapeake bay is no stranger to me either because before moving last year we lived in the Tidewater area, Hampton/Newport News VA. I do love the water and the sea but wanted to live where it was less "busy". Now we are in the country and I couldn't be happier. I shall build up my collection of roses and we can swap. I grew all the David Austins back home. I had to leave a Graham Thomas, Heritage, Iceberg, Bonica, Pink Dawn etc at the last address and so it goes on and on and on. This is the last move and I shall nurture and treasure everything now even more than before because this is where I'm at and this is where I intend to stay :-)
JSS
Cordova, MD

July 26, 2001
12:16 PM

Post #100665

It's so hard leaving them behind, isn't it? the old historic farmhouse we lived in before we bought this home last fall had a few roses. I had planted an Eden climber several years prior and it was gorgeous!!! Right next to the front door so everyone could see it!! And the smell was heavenly as you walked by... but i had to leave it and I'm so afraid the landlord cut it down- I'm too afraid to drive by and check!! I hated leaving it but knew nothing at the time how to cut or root!! The Eden I have now is also a climber!! It's a great story on how I got it this past Mother's Day!! that's all I wanted for Mother's Day- and the Lord provided!
Well, Charlottesville is a lovely town- the real South- and charming, too!
So, I'll try rootings and hopefully can send them to you- the iceburg is fine by me!! I took a pic this morning of my Geoff budding- but can't post for a week or so when I send them off...
I'll try to post my Eve Eden...
funny thing- my hubby bought me a rose tree this past weekend- the Diana, Princess of Wales!!! Even though it's really nort an "English" rose, I felt I had to place her with Abraham, Geoff, and Eve!! Not sure what she'll look lie yet- but I'm syre she'll be pretty- what rose isn't???
Gota run andget to work!!
_JSS
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2001
12:26 PM

Post #100672

Have a great day jeanne and keep cool :-)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America