Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

BugFiles Pictures: Giant Silkworm Moth, Robin moth (Hyalophora cecropia)

Communities > Forums > BugFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: BugFiles PicturesReplies: 2, Views: 23
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 25, 2006
1:46 AM

Post #2544357

Giant Silkworm Moth, Robin moth (Hyalophora cecropia)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/bf/go/40/

Thumbnail by Kell
Click the image for an enlarged view.

morganmead
Ottawa
Canada

June 30, 2010
5:51 AM

Post #7932374

Hello Dave:

I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. I captured the almost exact same image of this giant silkworm on my cell phone on May 25, 2010.

In the fall 2009 I found a large, light brown cocoon clinging to a piece of fencing that my neighbor had put out for garbage collection. I rescued it along with its piece of fencing and during the winter months I placed it in a sunny and protected area behind our garage. We had an early snow melt so in early March 2010 I moved it to the front garden behind an evergreen bush right up the the side of the house but protected from direct sunlight and any hungry returning birds. In late May I was rewarded one morning to see that this beautiful creature had completed its metamorphosis and was resting on the stucco siding of the house drying its wings. There it stayed, moving its wings slightly to different positions throughout the entire day. It was gone the next morning.

In my 25 years living in Ottawa, I had never seen this moth and I wonder if it ever found a mate.

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

July 5, 2010
11:05 AM

Post #7945009

LUCKY YOU! It is so pretty!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other BugFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Eastern Black Swallowtail (Papilio polyxenes) PanamonCreel 4 Jul 26, 2007 2:08 AM
Butterfly Mourning Cloak (Nymphalis antiopa) okus 1 Oct 24, 2008 5:00 PM
Wood Scorpion (Cercophonius squama) kennedyh 1 Oct 31, 2007 3:09 PM
Giant Silkworm Moth, Robin moth (Hyalophora cecropia) Kell 2 Sep 22, 2010 8:06 PM
Carolina Sphinx Moth, Tobacco Hornworm (Manduca sexta) Vee8ch 1 Jan 20, 2012 10:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America