Any VW fans out there?

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

Just wanted to share!!!!They say the car you drive, says alot about you!!!!

Thumbnail by ghia_girl
Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

Okay, I have a matching pair.

Thumbnail by ghia_girl
Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi GG ~ Nice rides. I used to have a couple of bugs. Nowhere near as nice and certainly not yellow. I always wanted a Karmen Ghia but had to settle for a Volvo. My spouse is not a VW enthusiast.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I love the old bugs!! Just wouldn't want to own one. That would have all of my coworkers threatening to put me in the pysch ward!!! LOL

Tallahassee, FL

great license plates :)

I never noticed! Thanks for pointing that out. I really like bugboy.

Northport, ME(Zone 5b)

My first car: 1960 convertible BUG. This was around 1970 so it was not in the best shape. I had 5 more VWs before I had a car with a radiator. Bugs and busses, never a ghia. Me and 2 buddies with a floor jack could swap an engine in 25 Minutes. (We blew up a few) Is Bugboy a Super Beetle?

Bugs are pretty indestructible. The first one I had was a real beater. Going home from work one evening, I lost my brakes. I got behind a big truck (city traffic) and would shift down to 1st and kill it at stoplights, popping the clutch. Of course, the emergency brake didn't work either. I figured if I bounced of the truck, it wouldn't hurt either of our vehicles. Made it home and decided I could make it back to work the next am. Worked for a Buick dealer and we had an Opel mechanic who would work on my bug. I drove into the service aisle with no problem. Told the service writer I had NO brakes and wanted George to look at it. I asked if he wanted me to drive it out there. He said no, I said I have NO brakes. In a little bit, the service writer came in with a sheepish look on his face. He said you didn't have any brakes!
Hello!

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

Frankay, Bugboy is a 1973 Super Beetle.

Pepper, VW ownership is a "dirty little secret" in this part of the country!

I have wanted a ghia ever since I was 15 years old. I got her in 2002. She had 15K miles when I bought her. The lady (Mrs. Steele) that sold her to me would tell me stories, about people coming up to her door all the time wanting to buy the car, however Mrs. Steele never got the feeling that any of them would take care of her car like she would want. When I bought the car it had 1997 tag on it. She's 10 footer; if you get any closer you can see the damage that 30 years of being outside had taken on her.

My husband talked me into taking her to a few car show. We were at a car show one day, and man and young boy (7 years old) walked by. The boy was like "cool car” the man’s response was "O That's a poor man Porsche". At that point I decided that I was not going to show her to people that didn't appreciate the VW. This choice drove my husband crazy. He still wanted to show it. That's when, what I call, "VW envy" took over. It took about two month to find Bugboy.

My husband works for one of the local aircraft company, must of the people he runs into, just doesn't understand why we own VW and not 69'carmero, 69' GTO, 65' Mustang, or any of the other big block muscle cars that are "Soooo Coool"

We would love to find a bus some day! Yellow would be my preference! I love stories about VW's and their families! Please share.

Northport, ME(Zone 5b)

I had about five bugs before I hooked up with Frankay, then when we got together, got about six more over the years. Not all of them ran, in fact, I had three bugs once and only one was registered...kept the other two for the engines. I only blew one engine (swallowed a valve, #3cylinder) and I still have the piston with lotsa holes in it.
I REALLY miss the beetle. They were wonderful cars economically, very easy to maintain and work on (even for prissy female such as myself) NEVER got stuck in snowbanks, and handled respectably, if underpowered. I've driven them without brakes, heat, defrosters...and had a great time. Always got where I wanted to go. Wish I could say the same today! Les (Frankay's DW)

Worton, MD

I have been looking at a 82 vw pickup truck. Can anyone tell me how many trucks were made by vw.

VW made trucks? That's news to me. I thought they did cars and vans. If someone has pics of one post it please.

They made a couple versions. One looked like the Vanagan (sp) only with a bed in back, the tail gate was on the side. The later model was a sporty smaller truck if I am not mistaken. Don't know how many were made.

Friendswood, TX

If there are any VW Truck fans out there I am selling my long over due project truck... This is a low miles very clean "CaddY" VW Truck.

Thumbnail by Sc00teR
Friendswood, TX

Oh it is being sold on Ebay. Copy and paste this link you you would like to read more about it and/or bid.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=270027270877&ih=017&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT

Thumbnail by Sc00teR
Friendswood, TX

In 3 months when you see this check with me and see if it sold... MrHaUgHtY2004@Yahoo.com

Thanks

Whittier, CA

I taught my daughter how to work on VW's when she 10 yrs. old.
Never pushed her to do any-thing, I 'd just work away and tell her
what I was doing and why. Soon after she wanted to turn wrench's
with me. When she turned 15 I bought a basket-case 1969 VW.
We re-built the engine, She tourqued the heads, installed the pressure
plate, clutch, oil cooler, installed engine tin, intake manifold,all the way
to exhaust , and muffler. She is great with a floor jack. She still
has that VW to this day, She's married and 23 years old. I still
cherish those memories of her and I puttering around with car.

Karmann ~ That is really special. Memories and skills to last a lifetime. : ))

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

i love k ghias, always admired them. off the subject i just saw my old barricuda going the opposite way i was going last week and about cried, i wanted to do a u eee, but could`nt..has my son`s sr,.picture appt. man i am bummed. my dh said if i see it again he wil buy it for me. he won`t work on my gophers or dig a hole or plant anything but cars....?+*%^

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

Don't you hate that! A barricuda would be very cool to have. My hubby would dig, plant, mulch, compost, etc. anything you wanted - for one of those.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

i `l take him.

Vancouver Island, BC(Zone 8b)

Here's my 83 Westie. That's DH standing there. This was taken at Pachena Bay, remote West Coast spot.

Thumbnail by brugcrazy
Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

Cool

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

brugcrazy - Very nice! do you travel with it on a regular basic?

Nice Westie!! I have always liked looking at them when passing them on the road because they are different than the other vehicles out there and very cool.

Vancouver Island, BC(Zone 8b)

I use it as my regular vehicle. We just travelled down the Oregon Coast in Sept for a week. Unfortunately it rained a lot. We camp a lot in the spring, summer and fall but not in the winter. I've had a new paint job done( same colour) , had high beam headlights put in, an extra battery, etc. etc. It tends to be a hobby as well as a vehicle. I bought it for my rescued boxer who goes everywhere with me. He has severe separation anxiety. Here's Oscar with a friends grandchild when we were camping up at Naka Creek, BC, Canada this summer.

Thumbnail by brugcrazy
Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

That's my very first car ghia_girl! The '73 super beetle. I wished I had a Kaman Ghia too. My best friend had one. Her's was light blue. My bug was orange. My dad taught me to drive on it in '85. The car cost him $200 and it lasted me forever. I would go out and work on it every weekend until I went off to college. Gosh, I miss that car.

Now I drive a Subaru with heated seats (fancy!), but I still miss my bug.

Harper

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

How funny, your first car is such a big deal, most people have great memories of it even if it was a Vega, I mean a 73 super beetle. lol

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

My first boyfriend's father once told me: you never forget your first love or your first car.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I got a funny story to tell you. One time around 96, I was coming through vegas from Colorado on the way back to Ca. and for about 100 miles on either side of Vegas, there were vw buses and bugs broke down all over the I-15 freeway, atleast 30, it was so funny. We had no clue what the heck was going on. When I got home, My girlfriend told me she was so mad because they really wanted to go to The Grateful Dead concert in Vegas that past weekend. we rolled.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Just found the VW thread. Thought I'd send a picture of our '66 beetle. It's parked in our barn most of the time. Just drive it on short trips and away from busy highways. You definitely feel like a "bug" next to SUV's.

Thumbnail by pastime
Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

Look like a very clean beetle. It's nice to see others taking car of their bugs. They are fun to drive, however on the highway ours just to keep up with the fast paced life of the SUV's. So the short drives out to the lake and black top country road is where you'll find us.

Rosamond, CA(Zone 8b)

I may have mentioned my funny vw story before. About 15 years ago I was coming back from Colorado through Vegas, both 50 miles before and after Vegas, there was easily 50 broke down vw bugs, busses and some Vanagans. We laughed so hard and had no clue what was up, but later found out that the Greatful Dead was playing in Vegas. lol I really like them but they are so loud and I hate screaming over that to talk or hear the radio. I love to see an original in mint condition.

Northern, MI(Zone 6a)

Love Veedubs.
I have a few and a few more that are painted and in pieces being put back together.

59 Beetle rag.
63 Ghia Type 3.
66 Ghia.
70 Westy.
74 Super Vert.
Looking for a notch.
Nice thread, Show yer dub.

Thumbnail by penth2o
Northern, MI(Zone 6a)

63 ghia type 3

Thumbnail by penth2o
Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Check out our local VW club website. There's a lot of help on there for people fixing up the old ones and a bunch of great people who go out of their way to help. Our little Vdub was in a show a couple weeks ago, we didn't win anything, but it was a lot of fun and one of the club members won a trophy with her restored VW stationwagon.
http://www.harshwintersvw.com

Thumbnail by pastime
Northern, MI(Zone 6a)

Hi pastime,
What's your name on the vw site gallery.
I'll definately check out your club as I am close and go down that way quite often.
In fact I have the Windy City Vintage BMW show I go to every September coming up.
Nice to meet you. I checked it out real quick but I will join and check it out completely tonight when I have some time.

Joel.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

We don't really have any pictures in the gallery. I have trouble posting. Maybe because I'm on a Mac. Anyway, I gave up. My husband is Old Bugger. There's a big show coming up this month in/near Joliet called the Bug-A-Palooza. Our club sponsors it every year. You will see every kind of VW from fully tricked-out speed demons, to our friend, Dean's "Stella", a work in progress. Some of the cars are perfect. Our club president, Big Joe, is a font of knowledge and VW mechanic skills. It's held at D'Arcy, a VW dealership, but look at the website for sure of time. We don't bring our car, it's a little far to drive the old girl, we live 60 miles away. Although if she did break down on the way, there would be a handful of club members coming to our rescue, just a phone call away, to fix it or tow it.

Wichita, KS

My daily driver is a 71 Westy. And I wouldnt have it any other way! Nothing like dropin the windows and cruzin down a nice country road jammin some Dead. Great Thread! Keep thos VW's oiled!

And Ghia Girl has people from Kansas nailed. I live in Wichita too and its rare to see someone appreciating a VW. But i still get the peace sign a couple times a week.

Thumbnail by 71Westy
Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

I like your bus. We drive our '66 bug everyday. There's always someone who gives us the peace sign or wants to tell us a story about the bug they used to have. Keep those valves adjusted too!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.