Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Cacti and Succulents: staking sansevieria cylindrica variegated?

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 5, Views: 510
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sansman
North Wales, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2001
7:53 PM

Post #8992

I love this plant and it is fairly rare, but it is almost three feet wide b/c it droops in a sharp fan formation from the pot--almost like cylindrica patula. I need it to be more upright for space requirements but cannot take a chance on harming it. Any tips? Staking? Plant ribbon? Leaves are about 30-inches long. It's in a tall (12 inches) but narrow 6-7 inches wide clay pot right now.

Thanks!

Brooks
Crasulady2
Valley Village, CA

July 22, 2001
4:21 AM

Post #98113

Brooks, it sounds to me that the plant is just to top heavy for the pot to hold it up. Is there any reason not to put it into a 3 gal. container. Some San. naturally just hang down and over the pot, their leaves are just not stiff enough to hold up. I think perhaps a wider based pot would be a big help. You could use green bamboo stakes and green soft plastic bands or string for the ties. Norma
Cena

July 24, 2001
7:55 PM

Post #99566

Didn't Supanee have these wired like bonesai in her Ankara pictures?

Maybe check her site or email her with the question. (She's updated the site since the last time I stopped in.)

My S. tri gets to doing this and I just cut them off. I will end up breaking them if not as they have gotten over four feet long, and I'm 5 feet tall...
Dorstenia
Newberry, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2001
1:34 AM

Post #103177

I have the non-variegated plant and it seems to grow out somewhat in a fan shape. If anyone does end up cutting off a leaf of a variegated one, I sure would love to have a piece and can trade for it. BTW, what color is the variagation?
Thanks,
Robin
Exoticplants@cs.com
Crasulady2
Valley Village, CA

August 3, 2001
3:09 AM

Post #104996

Ladies, remember if you cut the tops off your San. species because they are too tall, just stick them into a tiny pot of soil and see if it will grow, especially now that it is hot. Norma
Crasulady2
Valley Village, CA

August 6, 2001
4:36 AM

Post #106249

Are any of you familar with the species San. bacularis?
I may have it, does it grow very tall, narrow leaves, no wider than 1" and channeled all the way up? This is a plant that I have been looking for it's name this past 5 years, I don't have another specie with that name, I have been calling it "Alva" now that I obtained "Alva" I know that wasn't correct at all. Any suggestions? Crasulady

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America