Photo by Melody

Cacti and Succulents: staking sansevieria cylindrica variegated?

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 5, Views: 510
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sansman
North Wales, PA
(Zone 6a)

July 21, 2001
7:53 PM

Post #8992

I love this plant and it is fairly rare, but it is almost three feet wide b/c it droops in a sharp fan formation from the pot--almost like cylindrica patula. I need it to be more upright for space requirements but cannot take a chance on harming it. Any tips? Staking? Plant ribbon? Leaves are about 30-inches long. It's in a tall (12 inches) but narrow 6-7 inches wide clay pot right now.

Thanks!

Brooks
Crasulady2
Valley Village, CA

July 22, 2001
4:21 AM

Post #98113

Brooks, it sounds to me that the plant is just to top heavy for the pot to hold it up. Is there any reason not to put it into a 3 gal. container. Some San. naturally just hang down and over the pot, their leaves are just not stiff enough to hold up. I think perhaps a wider based pot would be a big help. You could use green bamboo stakes and green soft plastic bands or string for the ties. Norma
Cena

July 24, 2001
7:55 PM

Post #99566

Didn't Supanee have these wired like bonesai in her Ankara pictures?

Maybe check her site or email her with the question. (She's updated the site since the last time I stopped in.)

My S. tri gets to doing this and I just cut them off. I will end up breaking them if not as they have gotten over four feet long, and I'm 5 feet tall...
Dorstenia
Newberry, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2001
1:34 AM

Post #103177

I have the non-variegated plant and it seems to grow out somewhat in a fan shape. If anyone does end up cutting off a leaf of a variegated one, I sure would love to have a piece and can trade for it. BTW, what color is the variagation?
Thanks,
Robin
Exoticplants@cs.com
Crasulady2
Valley Village, CA

August 3, 2001
3:09 AM

Post #104996

Ladies, remember if you cut the tops off your San. species because they are too tall, just stick them into a tiny pot of soil and see if it will grow, especially now that it is hot. Norma
Crasulady2
Valley Village, CA

August 6, 2001
4:36 AM

Post #106249

Are any of you familar with the species San. bacularis?
I may have it, does it grow very tall, narrow leaves, no wider than 1" and channeled all the way up? This is a plant that I have been looking for it's name this past 5 years, I don't have another specie with that name, I have been calling it "Alva" now that I obtained "Alva" I know that wasn't correct at all. Any suggestions? Crasulady

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America