Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Xeriscape Gardening: Albuquerque project

Communities > Forums > Xeriscape Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Xeriscape GardeningReplies: 27, Views: 461
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
naturepatch
Morris, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2006
4:32 AM

Post #2549185

Thought you all might be interested in my long distance project...filling my sister's yard with flowers! :)

I'm off to a fairly good start. Here's what it looked like in October. I planted stuff for her in June (of all times!).

naturepatch

Thumbnail by naturepatch
Click the image for an enlarged view.

naturepatch
Morris, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2006
4:37 AM

Post #2549199

Here's a view of it in May.

naturepatch

Thumbnail by naturepatch

naturepatch
Morris, IL
(Zone 5b)

July 26, 2006
4:53 AM

Post #2549258

Thought you might like to know what is doing well. We did install drip irrigation to most of it.

Coreopsis
Cosmos
Suprise lily
Blackberry lily
Grape hyacinth
Blue mist shrub
Hibiscus
Artemisia
Sedum
Soapwort
Spiderwort
Hollyhocks
Yarrow
Gardener's Garters
Egyptian onion
Golden margaurite
Canna
Honeysuckle
Brazilian verbena
Iris
Japanese blood grass
Ladybells
Cherry bells
Veronica
Lavender
Baby's breath
Leadplant
Creeping lilyturf
Lemon balm
Mint
Mums
Bloody cranesbill
Butterfly weed
Self-heal
Perillia
Daffodils
Allium
Toadflax
Wild petunia
Blue eyed grass
Aster
Primrose
Columbine
Red yucca
Russian sage
Rose of sharon

There are some others that are surviving and their fate is currently questionable. (Like daylilies, hosta, ajuga, purple coneflower, black-eyed susans, and lilies.)
I keep trying new things for fun. But I am continually amazed at what I can't get to grow here in Illinois that just grows like gangbusters there. Specifically the coreopsis, baby's breath, lavender and russian sage.

It's a big project and I keep bugging her for 'plant updates'. :)

naturepatch

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2006
4:05 PM

Post #2722414

How about an update. What a fun project!
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

June 30, 2007
3:36 PM

Post #3679134

Is that up around Ellison and 528?? I may have remembered the street names wrong but I keep watching those neat backyards up on the Westside when I go to see my daughter in Rio Rancho.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 24, 2007
12:12 AM

Post #4009724

I didn't know where else to stick these, so I'll stick them here - hope it's ok to be thread-napping. My Dad has his "dream" house in Santa Fe, NM. He was in the process of moving in when, on his 70th birthday, he had a stroke that left him paralyzed on the right side.

DH and I went to London in 2003 to bring this fancy British stove back for Dad - it had to be EXACTLY the right size blah blah blah. My husband was working for British Airways and so could handle the customs part. But that's how long and how precisely he's been planning this perfectly xeric house.

Thumbnail by carrielamont

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 24, 2007
12:15 AM

Post #4009738

This is a pretty curvy sculpture with some ornamental grass. It's been neglected since November. (The grass I mean.)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 24, 2007
12:18 AM

Post #4009754

A sad cactus in a pretty pot.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 24, 2007
12:21 AM

Post #4009771

Pyrocanthus (sp?) plant, doing beautifully on neglect.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 24, 2007
12:24 AM

Post #4009780

The view from the driveway. Beautiful.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 24, 2007
12:28 AM

Post #4009799

He said this was a weed, but it looks like the Helenium I carefully grew from seed, or maybe like a wild prairie coreopsis.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 24, 2007
12:32 AM

Post #4009814

In the bottom right is his old, inefficient, water-wasting house. They're both on the same lot, so he won't be able to sell them separately.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 24, 2007
12:38 AM

Post #4009848

Well, thanks for letting me hijack this thread! He has an amazing view, or had an amazing view. Unfortunately we were only there for 9 hours and we didn't get to see the sun set out his windows or off his patio.

cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

September 24, 2007
10:09 AM

Post #4010830

Beautiful views, sorry to hear your Dad can no longer enjoy them. The cactus looks very happy in that pot to me? It seems to have bloomed all over this spring, I can see the leftover blooms there. The "weed" is a native plant, desert marigold. Santa Fe is really overpriced and booming. He should be able to make a nice profit on his house when he sells.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 24, 2007
5:54 PM

Post #4012252

Really? We Easterners have NO CLUE! The problem is he's got two house built on land zoned for only one. I don't think he can sell them separately. I wouldn't know a happy cactus from an unhappy one. (As was apparent.) I just have my greedy little eyes on the pot. (Hanging head in shame...)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 24, 2007
5:57 PM

Post #4012267

I know the purple stuff is asters, but what's the other yellow/green stuff that seems to be blooming?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 24, 2007
6:54 PM

Post #4012456

Was one of the houses built without permits then? That could cause big problems if he tries to sell. He could look into whether it's possible to subdivide the land into 2 parcels, that way he could sell the houses separately if he wanted to. Assuming the lot is big enough that the two subdivided lots would still be decent size, and both houses could have access from the street, many places will let you subdivide your property although the costs and procedures probably vary from state to state. That won't fix the situation if one of the houses was built without permits though.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 24, 2007
8:26 PM

Post #4012810

I know he got all the necessary permits; he even had to get a special permit for each toilets! It's just not zoned for 2 houses, I guess. He's not up to "looking into" anything since his stroke, I'm afraid. My brother is in charge of the financial stuff - he, after all, is a male, and therefore superior in every way.
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2007
8:59 PM

Post #4016455

I don't know about the zoning, but with land at a premium there I bet they can work it out. The small bush with yellow blooms I believe is what we call rabbit brush or chamisa. It is a very common plant in the fields in NM. That pot is pretty. The cactus probably had pink, yellow or red blooms in the Spring and that pot would certainly be a nice accent!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 25, 2007
9:37 PM

Post #4016598

So if I get it, I should keep the cactus in it? It will be ok outside here? (It was outside there, or maybe he had someone put it outside for the summer...)
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2007
9:44 PM

Post #4016624

I don't know about it staying outside in the winter there? I leave many of mine outside here but they grow in my yard too. To be safe I would protect it from freezing if you keep it! Maybe put in a garage for the winter?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 26, 2007
1:01 AM

Post #4017315

I don't think there are too many cactus that would be hardy in zone 6a, I'd post yours on the ID forum and find out which one it is, then you can decide if it might be hardy for you or not. Do make sure you protect it from too much water though--cold plus wet is a bad combo for cacti.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 26, 2007
12:29 PM

Post #4018572

I can try to ask him... maybe he'll know, or remember. I'm not really into cactuses or cacti - an occasional jade plant is about my speed. I think I was going to ditch the cactus and keep the pot. Is that sacrilegious?

x, C
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2007
8:43 PM

Post #4020186

You might just offer the cactus to one of his neighbors. They are very tough and can be out of a pot for awhile. Or plant it outside in a protected area. If I lived closer I would take it! I about 4 or 5 hours from Santa Fe.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 26, 2007
11:45 PM

Post #4020836

I don't know any of his neighbors - they're all like far apart from each other. He may decide to bring it with him; we (children) may think it's not worth the cost of shipping the stupid pot and why don't I just buy a similar pot here. Which I wouldn't do. Sigh. This daughtering has got me dottering, LOL.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2007
5:59 PM

Post #4081984

I'll hijack a bit just to say Carrie, I'm so sorry for your Dad.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 14, 2007
6:49 PM

Post #4082152

Me too...
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2007
4:39 PM

Post #4125932

Yes, strokes can change lives! I'm sorry for his dream.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Xeriscape Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Favorite TOUGH Xeriscape plants michele5000 80 Apr 27, 2009 1:37 AM
How do you all start your seeds (Blanket flower, etc.) Gourd 12 Feb 26, 2008 12:54 AM
Perennials for Xeriscaping, Zone 7 (and zones 2-11) cherishlife 107 Jul 24, 2008 9:51 PM
Where do you get them at? MitchF 25 Aug 4, 2008 5:09 PM
Agastache seeds MQN 13 Dec 16, 2007 7:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America