Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Home Repairs and Maintenance: the septic system in my new house has failed

Communities > Forums > Home Repairs and Maintenance
bookmark
Forum: Home Repairs and MaintenanceReplies: 3, Views: 81
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
luna_baby
On the banks of the , VA
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2006
12:02 PM

Post #2549651

Welp...we went to settlement on this house three weeks ago knowing the septic was dodgy. It has now officially failed. Hydraulic failure, the health dept guy said, too much stuff sitting in the distribution box.

We have a long, narrow, lot with a stream, a pond, and two wells.

At best, we're looking at a pump system...the couple of hundred feet to a new drain field spot...across the stream and at least 35 feet from the pond.

At worst...an alternative system of some sort.

*sigh*

Life is just one complication after another sometimes.

Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2006
9:21 PM

Post #2604566

Can't you have it pumped out? We do that every so often with our septic tank.

Diann
luna_baby
On the banks of the , VA
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2006
9:57 PM

Post #2604707

We could, I guess, if the county went for that option. We'd probably have to replace the existing distribution box with a hold and pump tank.

Because we knew this might be an option, we had the seller's escrow $40K, to be released when we had a functioning septic system, approved by the county. I'd rather just make them spend the money and do it right, you know?

I am not sure what a hold and pump system might do to the resale value of the house, or how often it would need to be opened and pumped. i'd rather not have a 4 ton truck coming across my puny little bridge once a month.

We'll see, but I appreciate the suggestion. Thanks!

Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2006
10:01 PM

Post #2604718

We only have to have ours pumped out every 5 years or so... Talk to people who do stuff like that for a living. But if you think there is something really wrong with your septic system, get it fixed while you have the 40k in escrow. You don't want to be having Christmas dinner at your house and have the sewer back-up into the basement...

good luck and keep me posted, ok?

Diann

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Repairs and Maintenance Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to Home Repairs & Maintenance Terry 17 Jul 14, 2011 1:42 AM
hiring help roxroe 16 Mar 27, 2007 9:04 AM
I hated trimming the grass along the fence jleec 15 Jun 6, 2011 6:47 AM
Hi! I'm new but have 2 questions Illoquin 7 Apr 5, 2007 6:48 PM
Eeek... mice! dreamingofeden 10 Mar 15, 2009 10:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America